z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Divine Intervention: Chapter Three

by Sujana


I only ever had three friends in my childhood years—my father, The Man Upstairs That Owns as Many Aliases as There Are Bible Passages, and the stars. I’ve learnt later on in life that it’s better to leave the last two for later conversations and the first in tamed, ordinary description.

The day I was born, my mother locked herself in the hospital closet when the doctors tried to hand little infant me to her, screaming broken curse words when they got the custodian to sledge hammer their way in. She adamantly refused to go home with me, and started spars in the corridors with my father in lightning bolt Chinese. As such my father obediently went home without her, cleaned up the attic while I was laid on the couch, put the baby cradle that was meant for Better-Future-Engineer-Me up there and sang lullabies while he rocked me to sleep. I was at peace the moment my mother began her rampage on my father when she finally came home.

The child is a demon!” Nelly imitated, waving his arms frantically in illustration. “I birthed a dead infant possessed by a demon, I tell you!” He dropped the act abruptly, shrugging his shoulders. “You’d have a field day with my mother, Dr. Wright. I brought her to several therapists before she died, and some of them needed treatment from their own medical institutes after hearing her banter.”

It was made clear then that my mother would have nothing to do with me, and my father would be alone in raising his child. I remember him instructing me not to go out in the morning out of fear that my mother would find me in her bad moods, giving me picture books and color pencils to play with until midnight. After that, I became a nocturnal creature, walking about into my home, ransacking the cabinets for biscuits and tea. My father would usually come out by then, with his blue night robes and his baggy eyes, a cracked bowl of rice and some other topping in his wiry hands.

He told me once about the first time he started the tradition, when I started eating solid food. I was a year old then, but he still hadn’t figured out what to call me (my identification card even said ‘Wei Zhi’ or Unknown in English, up until that point). He brought two bowls into the attic, both used and chipped but relatively clean. He laid out some rice and pork, leaving some kale he got from a neighbor inside the chipped bowl. He told me I ‘picked up the bowl, sniffed the kale, and sucked my face into the bowl’. That was, supposedly, the first time he hurt his sides laughing.

And that was how I got my first name: Kale.

“Don’t you dare laugh.”

“I wasn’t going to.”

“I saw your face, you were going to laugh.”

Haskell abstained from smiling. “No, I wasn’t.”

“There, there it goes, that little tic of yours.”

“Continue, please, Mr. Nelly.”

After that, I grew closer to my father, but farther away from the community around me. My world consisted of a dusty attic filled with spiders and old books, and the home under those floorboards. Of course I was curious of the outside world. The attic window often put on a show of its own, with kids my age dancing about in the streets, store owners rambling of prices with their customers, all happening while I was trapped inside. But I wasn’t interested in human interaction back then. I wasn’t keen to meet anyone, I wasn’t at all a day time child, and I certainly wasn’t interested in walking by my mother. No, I wasn’t attracted to the daylight happenings of the outside world. I wasn’t intrigued by the adventure the afternoons provided under the safety of the Sun—my home was under the refuge of the stars.

My illicit love affair with the heavens began when I was around seven years old. I was homeschooled then, since neither I nor my father could speak proper English, and spent more time in the attic than ever. For reasons even I don’t know, I kept track of the stars each night, drawing their patterns on worn notebook paper. Those were the only moments my window was open, and each time seemed more magical than the last. The stars became my first friends, my first true companions. I’d shred paper from my notebook, writing down thoughts and questions in hasty, childlike han zi, folding them into long slits and wrapping them into paper stars, putting them in a pickle jar.

All of them had the same question written at the bottom of the letter: Can you hear me?

One morning, I accidentally knock the jar off the window sill, smashing it on the streets below. I cried for a solid five minutes, watching as the paper stars crumpled under passerby’s feet. I slept, continuously, until four AM in the morning, when I realized my throat was dryer than the Sahara desert.

I drank the water my father left on the nightstand, and came back to bed. But altogether, I didn’t. I walked towards the window sill, and found the smashed pickle jar where it was before, all in one piece. There was only one paper star left inside. I unfolded it, and found three words, all written in English: “Yes, I can.”

I somehow understood it.

When I looked back outside, I found a man made entirely of light on the streets, looking up at me. “Can you hear me?”He mimicked, tilting his head.

“Of course I can hear you,” I found myself saying.

“Can you understand me?”

“Well enough.”

He shone a bit brighter, as if flashing a smile. “Good.”

He disappeared, slipping behind me into the attic. He looked around, welcoming himself to the mattress. “Kale, I’ve been meaning to talk to you.”He clasped his hands solemnly. “Your letters have been troubling my angels. They don’t know how to store paper stars, nor do they know how to unfold them—they keep tearing them accidentally or losing them to the winds. I swear, fifty percent of this years’ falling stars are caused by your hand--”

“Are you a star?” I asked, dumbly.

“No. Why would I be a star?”The man gawked at me. “I mean, several of the other few Mediators envision me as Leonardo DiCaprio, but I’m certainly not a star. I could be, but that’s not my bravado. I much prefer the title ‘Creator of the Universe’.”

“But you got my letters, didn’t you?”

“Yes. It was meant for me, wasn’t it?”

“I don’t know. Are you the stars father?”

“Well, technically yes. But then again, I’m also your father.”

“You don’t look like my father.”

“No, no, not in a literal sense--”

Kale, what’s going on?” The words came out in Chinese, echoing from the staircase. My father came up from downstairs, a torch in one hand and another rubbing his left eye.

I pointed at the shining man. “He thinks He’s you.”

My father widened his eyes, staring at me for a moment. He didn’t seem to notice the living torch sitting on my bed. “What did you say?”

“He says He’s you, baba.” I repeat. “I don’t know what He means, though. He doesn’t look anything like you. Look at him, baba.

Father closed his open jaw, eyes narrowing in confusion. He walked towards me, sitting beside the shining man on the mattress, pressing my cheek. His hair was whitened by age, wise eyes tired and resting under sagging skin, but other than that he looked like any other storeowner in Chinatown. “Where did you learn that from, Kale?” He asked, again in Chinese.

“Learn what?”

“Kale, I don’t understand what you’re saying. Speak Chinese.”

I thought over his sentence, before realizing something I should’ve from the beginning—I was speaking English.

Father rested his hand against my shoulder, and asked: “How did you learn?”

I opened my mouth, looking back at the shining man. The shining man shook his head, crossing his arms. I closed my mouth again. “I don’t know.”

The shining man grew a little brighter. He touched my fathers’ back while he was distracted, dipping his hand into the space between his two shoulder blades. “What do you mean you don’t know?” My father said, incredulously. The shining man fished out a glowing tea leaf, waving it about in front of my face.

I gaped at him, eyes wide. Father followed my gaze, but saw nothing. Felt nothing. “Is everything alright?”

“I’m tired, baba. I’d like to go to sleep now.”

“But why were you--”

“I’d like to sleep.”

Father turned back to me, dropping his head. He nodded, standing up. “Alright then.” He walked towards the stairs, leaving the room. His voice echoed from the floor below; “Take care.”

I looked back to the shining man, staring curiously. “What did you take from him? You didn’t hurt my baba, did you?” I bent down, studying the tea leaf in the man’s pale hands. “What is that?”

“His soul.” The shining man wriggled a bit on the mattress, leaning to face me. “A piece of it, at least. Don’t worry, he’s not hurt. I’m just taking a little sample of his thoughts is all—his inner most desire.” He reaches for my hand, prying the fingers apart. He lays the leaf on my palm, rubbing it against my skin. It felt like calm breezes in the spring, medicinal herbs, faded memories. It was all that my father wanted in life. All that was taken from him.

I rubbed the leaf between my thumb and index finger, not noticing the hand protruding into my ribcage. The shining man shrunk a bit, taking a form of something more…human. Back then, I didn’t notice what he had become; the bleach haired man with bloodshot eyes, fragrant with the smell of coffee beans and hospital corridors. It was only twenty years later I realized who he had become.

He was me.

“You imagined yourself grown up?” Haskell asked, noting the incident down.

Nei Li shook his head. “I must’ve been a psychic if I had.”

He opened his hand, letting the paper star inside bawl out into mine. I unfolded the paper, unrolling the message inside: ‘Hope’.

“What’s Hope?” I asked, sitting down beside Older Me.

“Your greatest desire.” Older Me replied, blankly. “The one thing you want the most in the world. From now, until forever.”

“But what is it for?”

He smiled. He stole the paper from my hand, folding it back to its paper star form. “You’ll know,” He said, enigmatically. He pushed the star back inside, patting me gently on the chest. “One of these days, you will.”

I clutched my chest, trying to feel the nonexistent dent inside caused by the star, to feel the life underneath the bones and muscle. “Will I ever get it?” I asked, looking up to him again.

“Now, that would be ruining the surprise, wouldn’t it?” He smirked. “And I’ve always loved surprises.”

And that was the first time I ever talked to God.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
541 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 541

Donate
Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:37 pm
Lauren2010 wrote a review...



Sacred!

YO. Man, this story keeps throwing me curveballs, and I love it. I was surprised at first to find us suddenly in the first person (because I can be a bit of a stickler for consistent point of view) but I think it really works for this story you're building. Jumping back and forth from perspectives, shifting into first person for Nelly's story about his life. It works. It's a good example of when breaking the "rules" pays off.

It did, though, take me a hot second to figure out where I was. I had to flip back to the first chapter to remind myself of who Dr. Wright was, and the first section of italics really threw me off. Once I figured out what was happening in the narrative structure, I was fine for the rest of the chapter, but you want to minimize that confusion as much as possible from the start. You've got to teach your reader how to read the story, basically. SO I'd suggest opening the chapter with Nelly addressing Haskell, just to remind us of what the deal is. I don't imagine you gain much by keeping your reader in the dark about who is talking to who. ;)

The other thing I would look at is the two different reasons italics are used in this chapter. First, they're used to establish the current-time conversations between Nelly and Haskell as Nelly tells the story of his childhood. But then, you also use italics to show Nelly's father speaking in Chinese when Nelly is speaking English. Except during this conversation Nelly's English is also in italics. Basically, you've already taught us that italics mean Nelly and Haskell's conversation, so it's confusing when italics are used to indicate something different. I'm not sure how you would better represent the communication barrier between Nelly and his father, but it probably ought to be something other than italics.

Otherwise, this was a really exciting chapter. It's a good example of the arc I was talking about in my last review (you've got a solid understanding of story structure as it stands, which is fantastic). I did wonder what about Nelly made his mother think he was a demon? It seems like that's something present-day Nelly could tell Haskell, or Haskell could ask what it was that made Nelly's mother react in such a way? Something to give the reader just a little more information. I was also a little bit confused about what was happening when God turned into an image of future Nelly (is that what that was?) I think the issue there is that there's a lot of uses of "he" but it isn't always clear which "he" is being referred to (Nelly, God, or Nelly's father). Just cleaning up the language a bit will help there!

All in all, I'm enjoying reading this story so much and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Keep writing!

--Lauren




User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:34 pm
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hmm, it's time to review this and not procrastinate further. '^'

Well, the first thing I note is the change of point of view in here. It is quite confusing to see the switch of first pov and third pov, because I can see it can be done by either way. Since the larger part of the chapter is told using first pov, I advise you to stick with that. I understand if you want to insert some gestures, reactions, and exchanges between Nelly's explanation to the therapist, the transition between first pov and third pov is sudden.

The day I was born, my mother locked herself in the hospital closet when the doctors tried to hand little infant me to her, screaming broken curse words when they got the custodian to sledge hammer their way in. She adamantly refused to go home with me, and started spars in the corridors with my father in lightning bolt Chinese. As such my father obediently went home without her, cleaned up the attic while I was laid on the couch, put the baby cradle that was meant for Better-Future-Engineer-Me up there and sang lullabies while he rocked me to sleep. I was at peace the moment my mother began her rampage on my father when she finally came home.


I would like to know a brief explanation as to how Nelly knows all of this. Obviously, as an infant, he couldn't be able to understand and memorize the events occurring surrounding him. Some readers can be mistaken by assuming he could, but the more logical answer would be his father told him this.

“The child is a demon!” Nelly imitated, waving his arms frantically in illustration. “I birthed a dead infant possessed by a demon, I tell you!” He dropped the act abruptly, shrugging his shoulders. “You’d have a field day with my mother, Dr. Wright. I brought her to several therapists before she died, and some of them needed treatment from their own medical institutes after hearing her banter.”


I quite like Nelly's frankness and the way he shows it. It's a bit funny. The italicized words put more emphasis in my suggestion that this chapter needs to be told by either one perspective, because the words are distracting and gives an impression of this being a flashback.

I like the story of how he gets his first name, Kale. It is cute and heart-warming, considering that's the first time his father laughs so hard.

And that was how I got my first name: Kale.

“Don’t you dare laugh.”

“I wasn’t going to.”

“I saw your face, you were going to laugh.”

Haskell abstained from smiling. “No, I wasn’t.”

“There, there it goes, that little tic of yours.”

“Continue, please, Mr. Nelly.”


See, this read as the narrator having some dialogues as background. It doesn't do well to insert the dialogues using third pov.

I slept, continuously, until four AM in the morning, when I realized my throat was dryer than the Sahara desert.


'Four a.m.'

“I don’t know. Are you the stars father?”


I think this one needs an apostrophe.

Overall, I like this chapter, despite the switch of points of view, and the rather awkward transition in the explanation that will be elaborated later. The father's character is described well, someone who is hopeful and is doing his best to be a father. I don't understand why the mother thinks Nelly is a demon or something, perhaps I forget it's been told in the previous chapter, but the contrast between her and his father is working here. I like how you describe the relationship between Nelly and his father, and emphasize more on how his father is one of his few friends. It shows how much his father means to him.

The God is very human-like, acting like a slightly frivolous person with a hint of wisdom in Him. I like His character, but I think the reason why his appearance is quite abrupt is because, while Nelly has kinda implied he is going to talk about his father, he doesn't do quite so to Him. A simple "the second one who becomes my friend appears when..." would work, because it will link to his previous explanation about him and his father, and doesn't seem like a story told out of nowhere.

And that is all! This is yet another satisfying chapter. It gets more interesting as it goes. I would like to know why the God chooses to talk to Nelly. Keep up the good job! :D




Sujana says...


IT IS OUT OF THE GREEN ROOM.

*bwwaaaaaammmmm*

thank you very much



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:02 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...



Frustrating over the lack of reviews? Fear not, Sandman is here to give you the perfect dream. I'd be reviewing this later though since your longest chapter so far. '^'




Sujana says...


not frustrating over lack of reviews. frustrating over how its still in the green room, and now i feel very bad for being dead weight. however, i've gotten over that guilt and posted another one. because i'm a jerk.



User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:59 pm
View Likes
Sujana says...



The church was a humble arrangement, with a steeple roof like a pair of hands clasped up and pointing to God, and temptation soaking the wooden walls.
Faulkner’s lighter glittered under the dim candlelight, the silver proving incredibly durable even after all it’s been through. I’ve counted the dents and bruises, like my grandfather used to count the burn marks on my face with his piteous glares, averaging out the rate of damage by the years I’ve had it. September, Year 10—a little bump to the side where I accidentally dropped it in front of a car. October, Year 8—a lash on the front where a beam from a collapsing church struck it. June, Year 5—a black mark that seems determined to stay regardless of how much I wipe it with the hem of my sweater, left from nearly dying in my twenty fifth church fire. December, Year 2—a carving of flame, done on Faulkner’s birthday. November, Year 0—a large dent at the cap. Caused during the first fire.
The first.
I looked around, taking in the atmosphere. Churches should never be built on wood. The material begs for a miracle of a disaster, a light that threatens to tear down everything in its wake. And yet, ten years of doing this, I haven’t once run out of churches to visit.
I grabbed the gallon from the pew, pouring gasoline around the premise. The candles glared at me, judgingly, as if they could stop me. I’d like that. I’ve wanted them to for some time. The stained glass windows standing above the podium stood above me, as dark as the night outside, the broken image of Mary watching. “Will you stop me tonight, Mother?” I asked her, looking up. She didn’t reply. “Will you send your son down after me? Or perhaps the big man Himself?”
She didn’t reply.
I shook my head, tilting the gallon over a little once more. “Out of all the things my head could make talk,” I groaned to myself, “It won’t let me hear you once, will it?”
“Well, perhaps it’s because you’re not looking to hear her.”
On cue. He had been infamous for his timing in life, and, even as a delusion, he still is. I looked over my shoulders, swinging the gasoline aside. “Fantastic. You’re here for the demonstration, I take it?” I spat back, putting the gallon back down. “You ought to take notes, while you’re at it. St. Sebastian Evangelical Church, for posterity’s sake.” I clapped my hands, pulling out my lighter once again. “Assuming I ever find anyone to continue another generation of pyromaniacs.”
The man in the blue turtleneck with oily brown hair stared at me, sitting on one of the pews, cross-legged and enduring. “I’d like grandchildren, if that’s what you’re referring to,” he said. He pulled out a pack of cigarettes. “Though I suppose you won’t bring them to your prayers, will you?”
I glared at him for a little while longer, before shaking my head. I sat in the middle of a circle, surrounded by gasoline. “Are you going to watch me?” I asked him, flicking the lighter. “It’ll be a spectacle to behold.”
Faulkner smiled. “Ninety nine.”
I held the lit lighter out to the gasoline, freezing midway. “What?”
“This is the ninety ninth church you’ll ever burn,” he said, flatly. “It won’t be the last.”
I processed the information, quickly, thinking over what my hallucination had just told me. He couldn’t be wrong. He’s been to all my prayers, hasn’t he?
Ninety nine.




User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:59 pm
Sujana says...



Okay now this is a serious review from a serious person trying to get their own work out of the green room because frankly this is getting extremely annoying like why am i posting chapters of this all the time??? jeez louise its not like anybodys reading it or anything wow




User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:56 pm
Sujana says...



THIS IS A REVIEW YAY HALLELUJAH




User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:20 pm
View Likes
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there Ellstar. It's just lizzy diving into this from a cloud into a lava pool, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

Okay so first with the mandatory Lestrade GIF that we agreed on. The writing is in Gallifreyan just so you know and Lestrade's hat/crown thing is the headpiece of the Gallifrey high council.

Spoiler! :
Image


Now we can get on to the actual review. All of the different Point of Views are confusing and brilliant. I thought it was just going to be three: narrator with Haskall's thoughts, narrator with Adriel's thoughts, and then Mr. Nelly. Thank you for informing me in the chat bar that I was wrong and that there were many more POVs to come. I don't know whether to jump for joy or curl up in a ball and cry.

I am in no way organizing this review logically so just try and stick with me and my thoughts.
I only ever had three friends in my childhood years—my father, The Man Upstairs That Owns as Many Aliases as There Are Bible Passages, and the stars. I’ve learnt later on in life that it’s better to leave the last two for later conversations and the first in tamed, ordinary description.

1. I have a lot of guesses and this is one of them. So now this is being told by Mr. Nelly as a psychiatrist/psychologist is asking him about his life or something similar. Please just clear that part up for me.
2. But this is a great opening statement, at least to me. I don't know if this was on purpose but by your character not calling God, God, he was giving him yet another alias. (Or am I putting way too much thought into this.)

The day I was born, my mother locked herself in the hospital closet when the doctors tried to hand little infant me to her, screaming broken curse words when they got the custodian to sledge hammer their way in.

1. You know normally I would complain about so many long sentences but with this it would just be wrong to split it up. Don't let any reviewer tell you otherwise, the laws of grammar no longer apply here.
2. I have definitely abandoned all hope that this was 1% serious at any time.

“The child is a demon!” Nelly imitated, waving his arms frantically in illustration. “I birthed a dead infant possessed by a demon, I tell you!” He dropped the act abruptly, shrugging his shoulders. “You’d have a field day with my mother, Dr. Wright. I brought her to several therapists before she died, and some of them needed treatment from their own medical institutes after hearing her banter.”

1.Wow. I can't find anything to actually critique so far. On the other hand you might like all of the praise, I'm not sure.
2. I really like the mother's dialogue because it seems to be the exact opposite of what he really is. She was right that he was not completely human but she thought he was a demon. Instead he was someone who could communicate with the heavens. That was one (excuse the expression) hell of a plot twist that was already halfway known.

Oh the next paragraph is so sad. So sad, it's sad, sad situation and it's getting sadder by the paragraph. (Look it up to understand.) It might have been for the best that the mother wasn't at all involved in his life. But it's also halfway heartbreaking so I don't know where to stand. So far my favorite characters are Pax(your Phil Coulson) and Nelly's father just because he put up with so much. I think I understand the whole nocturnal thing because that's the only way he can see/contact the stars. Is that correct or completely wrong, nowhere near reality?

Oh my god(again excuse the expression) that's his real first name. That's creative and funny and slightly stupid all at the same time. Now I know why no one knows his first name. He was either really embarrassed or after so long of not hearing it, he stopped caring. His dialogue with the shrink is also pretty good because you're trying not to laugh while the guy is actually trying not to laugh. Very good.

The next paragraph sounds like every introvert that ever existed. I mean dusty attic, books, only really talking to one person, avoiding outside people as much as possible. Crap, that sounds just like me except I need to add in Wi-Fi and a laptop.

I've heard of the stars filled with dreams in jars before. I've read about it in many stories and it always ends in an angel coming down to talk to the person saving the stars. I think the traditional number was like 1,000 stars makes God or an archangel come down and talk to you. The response on the sheet after the broken/resurrected jar was very smart. (Sorry again if I'm praising the story too much.)

Okay so he really is just 30 but for some reason he already has gray hair. That has to be a lot of stress but I guess when you are a mediator of the heavens a lot of responsibility falls onto you. The whole God transforming to his future self was a little odd but wasn't about this whole story. Your ending oh my god, they are getting better and better. And that's all I have unfortunately.

...grown up?” Haskell asked, noting the incident down.

I did in fact find something that may be categorized as grammar, spelling and typos. Is is necessary to have the question mark and then have a note saying that Haskell asked. To me it just sounds repetitive and not needed but it may have served a different purpose when you were writing this.

Well that's about all I have for this review. Sorry if I couldn't offer anymore comments but there wasn't that much to work with.
Have a nice day.
Lizzy
Queen of the Book Clubs
I need suggestions for what I should put down here.
Bonus Lestrade
Spoiler! :
Image





You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken