z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Divine Intervention: Chapter Ten

by Sujana


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

For the first time in eight years, I went outside.

It was the day my father died. The police who were investigating his death found me upstairs in the attic, cutting out garlands from notebook paper. When they told me my father had died, I sat on the dirty mattress, uncertain how to react. I wasn’t even sure if what I was hearing was true.

They forced my mother to acknowledge me as her son, and told her that she had to take care of me ‘or else you’ll be charged for parental negligence’.

My mother begrudgingly relented.

Two days later, when it was confirmed that the cause of death had been a cracked skull from falling over the stairway, my mother buried my fathers’ body. All of the stall owners in Chinatown came to the funeral, a jaunty type of thing that was unlike its grimmer Western counterpart, and all of them successfully acknowledged me as ‘the White Ghost’. I counted five ‘Well I didn’t know you were still alive’ and three ‘Someone get the local mystic there’s a ghost among us’.

I stood a good distance away from my mother through the reception, and only got to approach my fathers’ grave the moment everyone else went home.

I didn’t cry. My insides were twisted into a bow and I was sure one of my internal organs had torn itself in half, but I didn’t cry. I couldn’t cry. There was too much to cry about, by then—my fathers’ death, my mothers’ seething hatred towards me, my lack of existence in the eyes of the people I watched over every day. If I cried then, I suppose I wouldn’t stop crying until I joined my father six feet underground. Misery carved itself into me, and left nothing of what I should’ve been. What I could’ve been.

A leaf fell from the sky, dropping onto my head. I plucked it off of my hair, studying it. A tea leaf. A glowing one.

“How are you doing, kiddo?” I didn’t need to glance behind me to know who was there. Da Baba laid a hand against my shoulder, picking the leaf from my hand. “Beautiful day to go outside, isn’t it?”

I nodded. His hand felt heavy on my shoulder, cold. Lifeless. “What does it mean to die, Baba?”

“What?”

“What does it mean to die?”

He fell silent, then. It was the first time I’ve ever caught him speechless. “I don’t know, Kale.” He confessed. “I’ve never died before, myself.”

“But surely you know how it is.” I looked up to him. “You know everything. Don’t you?”

“Death is something a divine doesn’t recognize. To the divine, nothing can truly die.” He looked down at me. He dimmed substantially since he arrived. Something about being near a grave irked him, from what I’ve seen. “Do you remember what I told you about the stars?” I nodded. “See, it’s the same thing. Physically, the stars themselves may die, but its light will continue on without it. Its legacy lives without its body. Death is a mortal concept, Kale. It’s as real as the mortal plane sees it. But so long as the dead—so long as your fathers’ memory rests inside you, he’s not truly dead. You have allowed him to escape oblivion. You are his light. He may be a black star, but you’re--”

“His White Ghost.” I interrupted, in understanding. I turned back to the marked grave, with the name ‘Nei Li’ carved onto it. “I don’t know how to be his ghost, Baba. I don’t even know how to live without him.”

The shining man opened his mouth, then closed it again. Nothing he said could’ve made a difference. Only action mattered, at that point; and he only knew how to do one.

He crunched the tea leaf in his hand, letting it vanish when he opened it. Only it wasn’t his hand anymore. I looked back, and instead of seeing the shining man with his brighter-than-the-sun face and grin, I saw something else. I saw someone else. I saw an Asian man in uniform blue night robe and white shirt and wrinkled khaki trousers.

I saw my father.

“You don’t have to.” He said, in a voice that sounded exactly like my baba’s, fluent in English but accented nonetheless. I covered my mouth, smiling under it. I hugged the dead man, a tear rolling down my face. Xie xie, I kept whispering, xie xie.

Da Baba just smiled, hugging back.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
541 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 541

Donate
Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:42 am
View Likes
Lauren2010 wrote a review...



Nooooooooo Kale and God-pretending-to-be-his-dad. Just killing my heart. I'm so so glad that, despite all the awful things that have happened to Kale thus far in his life (being trapped inside, being ignored by his mother, being hunted by demons, etc) he has this sweet moment before I'm sure everything goes to hell (lol).

This is one of those important moments to have in a story, especially after something as sad and story-changing as Kale's father dying. This quiet moment also allows us more insight into the figure of God in this world and this story. I love the relationship he has with Kale. I'm really interested to see the first major scene where we watch another character interact with God and whether it's any different than how he interacts with Kale. I'd venture to guess that, yes, it will be different. But I'm interested to see how.

The biggest question I had in this chapter was why Kale didn't realize that something was happening just downstairs? I don't live in Chinatown, but I live in an old Chicago apartment building and I can hear stuff happening both above and below me all the fricken time. If there was a fight, he'd know. Heck, if there were three extra people just walking around downstairs, he'd know. In that case, obviously, he might not be suspicious because his parents own a store and people walking around would make sense. ANYWAY basically, I wonder why Kale doesn't at least hear something strange and wonder what's going on.

I also think it would make a much more impactful moment to see Kale's mother telling him his father is dead happen on the page in scene rather than in summary. This is the first majorly devastating thing that has happened to him. One of his only friends and loved ones has just died, and we see how sad he is at the end of this chapter, but I'd really love to see him react in the moment to finding out his father is dead. It would also give us some insight into his transition back into the real world from his years of seclusion. This is the real world coming screaming straight at his face. That's a fascinating change, and I think you can get a lot out of it.

Otherwise, another great chapter! Now I'll be waiting patiently for more. Please do prod me if/when you share more of this story with YWS!

Keep writing!

--Lauren




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:28 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Okay, I'm nearly reviewed out for the day, so I'm going to do more of a listy thing than normal, sort of.

Strengths:

This chapter seemed smoother and more cohesive than the last two. The characterization was great, and the ending was really sweet - sad, of course, but lovely.

I was going to argue slightly about the analogy of dying people versus dying stars because I was thinking eventually the light from the dying star would be finished, but then I remembered that the farther away a point is from a dead star, the longer the star's light will linger because it takes longer to get there, and...basically no, it was a great analogy and I loved it.

Weaknesses:

It threw me off that this chapter was in first-person after the last two were in third person. Not that you CAN'T do that - I have read one book that did it fairly successfully. So it's probably just that I started reading so late into the story that I wasn't expecting it at all.

Also, question: were the parents living together or anything? because it sounds like the father was loving and attentive, but the mother is extremely neglectful and hateful, and it's a bit odd to me that she'd be able to treat her son that way with a more loving parent around. I mean, she could get away with some of that, I'm sure, but this is the first time her son's set foot outside in eight years?

Also, now I'm remembering something Zach said back in chapter eight and wondering if maybe public school wouldn't be such a bad change for this poor kid.

Overall, however, I think this chapter was a lot stronger than the last two.




Sujana says...


I mean, she could get away with some of that, I'm sure, but this is the first time her son's set foot outside in eight years?


i remember writing this and laughing out loud at the idea. i decided to stick with it because a) it established that kale's pov is a complete and utter tonal dissonance from the other, more serious povs, because being trapped in one place for most of your life is something that comes out of rapunzel, not this, and b) it also explains kales less than spectacular social dexterity, though hes gotten better in the coming years.




If you are tired remember it's a sign that you haven't expired
— fatherfig