Percy Jackson and The Olmpians by Rick Riodran

by SAI01

Does anyone else like these books as much as I do if so post here please. They are really good modern day Greek Myth books

go here for more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Jackson_%26_The_Olympians#The_Lightning_Thief

Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 am
DaSpetsnaz wrote a review...

I really love these books. I own the whole series and I have read all the books quite a few times. I'd have to say the last book is the best though, but I'm not going to give away what happened for all you who haven't read the books yet. They made a mess of the movie, so I wouldn't see it. I am so ready for the new series.

Shadowhunter14 says...

Hmm yeah I thought some of the myths were worng too, but I still liked the series. It was funny and an entertaining modern fantasy, and I also liked the storylines and characters.

armstronge wrote a review...

Percy Jackson is a great series! Rick Riodran is writing two new ones. Ones about Egyptian gods and the other one is another series involving Greek gods. Has anyone read both of them yet?

Personally, I like the Greek gods better but it's probably because I know more about Greek gods than I do about Egyptian gods. But they're bother really good. I love his sense of humor too. His books are always funny. Can't wait for the second book of the Lost Heros of Olympia (it's the new series title)! :D

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:51 am
katchaerin wrote a review...

Rick Riordan is a genius!!!
I can't wait for the second book of The Heroes series.
I LOVE PERCY!!!!!!! Gosh. Am I crazy? Haha. And Nico's so cute. Ugh. I couldn't believe Rick. :))

greenwitch94 says...

i LOVE the percy jackson books!!!!!
i am a true believer when it comes to greek mythology!!!!!
GO THEMIS!!! goddess of justice!!!!!

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:18 am
time8keeper says...

Yep! One of the best I've ever read! :D

Hmmm... I think I'd have to say Percy. He's soooo sooo soooo amazing :D:D:D

~Time8keeper

LookUpThere says...

This... series... is... Awesome! Seriously.

Favourite Character?

time8keeper wrote a review...

Completely epic books! I totally agree with you! I have always been facinated by Greek mythology so this series was that much more awesome for me :D Can't wait to see the movie!

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:35 pm
MaresAzulados says...

I'm so excited, guys! I want to see that movie! :D

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm
drawakangaroo wrote a review...

I think this series was a great series. It was well-written, humorous, dramatic, and with a hint of romance that didn't become the theme of the whole book (which is a good thing in my opinion). It made me more interested in mythology, and I love it when books bring magic and nonexistent things into the modern world so that it seems completely realistic.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:50 pm
Jaime0102 wrote a review...

If you really want to get into the real Greek myths and such, a fairly good book to start with (well, this is what I read when I was in 5th grade, but it was a little too hard for me in 2nd) is the Edith Hamilton book. She goes into a lot of detail about all of the Greek legends, and it's a good reference.

My cousin gave me that book and they use that book to teach greek mythology in English 1 Honors in my highschool.

And ya, I love the books.

Also, it's a big no-no for Athena to have children. I don't care if Annabeth is some super mind-meld child, Athena's a virgin in mythology -- she doesn't want kids.

That annoyed me too. She was a virgin goddess yet she had a cabin-load of kids. Incredible.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:30 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

bludragon525 wrote:

May I suggest a Classical Dictionary such as Meridian or Caselles? Hamilton's book is still very censored, she writes carefully to avoid offending readers. Her House of Atreus was pretty much half told.

:D

--Antigone

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:37 am
bludragon525 wrote a review...

I'm addicted to the Percy Jackson series....

Rick Riordan did mess up a lot of the Greek myths, but he mostly got them right. I've been reading the greek myths since I was in 2nd grade, so it does annoy me when the Roman and the Greek gods get mixed up.

I hope another Olympian series come out. The first was just too good.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:25 am
ZakkuAlpha says...

Gah! I love these books (even though i've only read the first one). I can't wait to see the movie for the Lightning Thief

MaresAzulados says...

I think there would be another series, and I want another one, too.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:41 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Well in the acknowledgements of The Last Olympian it starts with:

As the first Camp Half-Blood series draws to a close,

So yes I think there could be another series on the rise.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:44 am
WaterVyper says...

Well, despite the screwing about with mythology, I loved them. Still do, and the Demigod Files is also pretty good. There have been a few people speculating that there will be a second Demigod series.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:37 am
Flower~Child says...

Oh I see haha. Ya'll are way smarter than me. I don't know I think it has something to do with where I live hahhaha.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:17 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

It's just the standard combination of English and Latin we've come to know and love.

The letter k kind-of existed in Greek, but the Romans did not have it. So, Kronos becomes Cronus/os. Depends on how Roman-ized it was.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:04 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

They names of mtyhological figures often recieve differnt spelling because of the translations.

MaresAzulados says...

It's not necessary... :D but well...

Flower~Child says...

Haha oh well maybe I will take a class on Greek Mythology.

Flower~Child says...

yeah I guess haha oh well maybe it is both ways.

MaresAzulados says...

I'd seen it with both...

Flower~Child says...

Everywhere I had looked it was with a C but oh well.

Antigone Cadmus says...

No, Kronos is the correct GREEK spelling.
The problem is, Athena is a Latin/English-tized spelling. If he wanted all of his names to seem Greek, he would have called Athena Pallas Athene, and so on.

/rant

Flower~Child says...

When I started reading it I didn't know much about Greek Mythology haha. So when I was looking for information I saw that he misspelled Cronos the whole time. I was like what the crap.

Cheshire-Writer wrote a review...

Antigone Cadmus wrote:These books make me want to hurt people.

He totally screwed up his mythology, mixes traditional and Latinized spellings, and the writing was just corny.

But it was mostly the mythology-massacring that made me angry.

If you want mythology, read Ovid.

--Antigone

I agree that he did mess with some of the mythology and some things were pretty corny. But I still love these books because of it's plot. I found the plot twists to be particularly good because I didn't predict them.

My Issues with these books are in the spoiler:
[spoiler]Percy and Annabeth just didn't seem to go together that well. Actually I didn't like Annabeth, she was cool at first but then she got annoying. I mean come on I know the girls fatal flaw is Pride but does she really have to be that rude to people. I also disagree with Cerberus being a three headed Rottweiler. That was just a no with me, Cerberus is supposed to be terrifying and not look like Fluffy from the first HP movie[/spoiler]

And that's my rant, I still love the book for it's plot. :roll: I'm such a critic when comes to relatively popular books. I always need to analize my bestsellers to see why they're best sellers.

Flower~Child says...

I love these books. I have read up to the battle in the labrinth haha. The library didn't have the last one. :(

Antigone Cadmus wrote a review...

These books make me want to hurt people.

If you want mythology, read Ovid.

--Antigone

MaresAzulados says...

I have the first, the second, the third, the fourth, and the fifth book... and the Demigod Files. I love those books...

Eliza:) says...

Percy Jackson and the Olympians is such a great series. I can't wait for May when the fifth book finally comes out. It is so good.

chasingcolts21 says...

Oh my gosh! I love the series so far! I cannot wait for the fifth! So soon, but so far away. I'm excited for it. :P

Horserider says...

I LOVE Percy Jackson and the Olympians! Book 5 comes out March 5th and I can't WAIT!!!! I need to reread the first four to refresh my memory...

WaterVyper wrote a review...

I love the Percy Jackson books. They have a countdown till the release of the last book. As of right now, it is about 50 days, and 15 hours till it's released.

http://www.percyjacksonbooks.com/
That's the link. If you wait for a while, the timer will appear.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:57 am
Bloo wrote a review...

I loved this series. It is actually the series that got me into writing. I always loved mythology, and this showed me I could make more modern ones, that when I got into writing stories. My first attempts at books were Percy Jackson fanfic like books. But they never stayed the same to long, I always changed them. Eventually the whole plot changed for it and that changed and changed and changed and changed into my current project.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:10 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

I love these books!:) Finished with the third book recently. Pretty good books for mythology fanatics.

They're for kids. We're kids aren't we?:)

Linx wrote a review...

They are really good books. I love reading them, and Rick Riordan was an amazing author for these books, even if it was his first books for "kids."

The last book is being released on May 5, in case anyone was interested. :wink:

*Cat

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl