Latin to English (Red Velvet Glossary)

by bloodybelle01

The characters in my story use Latin, as they are old creatures of myth, and so- here are the translations to those words. This will be updated as the story goes on.

amare- love

cor meum- my heart

vita mea- my life

bloodybelle01 says...

Yes, I am reviewing my own work (sort of). I would just like to mention that I am marking this as a review to get this out of the green room (it does not need to be reviewed further)... but it's more of a note to myself and to anyone else who happens to read this.

This, as of now, may not be up to date. I am human and sometimes I make mistakes and forget thinks. I would like to urge people to let me know if they read a word of Latin in one of my chapters or terminology part that is not listed here or if I make a mistake with the Latin (I do not claim to be fluent in Latin- I only know a few words and rely mostly on dictionaries and online translators- I try my best to cross-reference before declaring something but it is not always possible, please bare this in mind!

If you read all of my little rant/review then thank you! I give you a virtual gold star (like the ones you get when your a little kid and you do well on your homework? You know what I'm talking about? No? Oh, okay then *walks slowly out of the room* )

ADDED EXTRA: IF ANYONE IS FLUENT IN LATIN AND WOULD LIKE TO BE A TRANSLATOR FOR ME PLEASE MESSAGE ME AND I CAN ADD YOU AS A CO-AUTHOR AND YOU COULD MAKE THE TRANSLATIONS FOR ME! THAT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED (I ALSO MAY HAVE MADE MISTAKES IN MY LATIN ITSELF AS WELL AS THE TRANSLATION! IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE AND I DO TRY MY BEST TO CORRECT MY ERRORS WHEN THEY HAPPEN BUT IT IS NOT ALWAYS POSSIBLE!)

Thank you,
Tate x

P.S. My previous message did not count as a review (it was slightly too short) and so, again to take this out of the green room, I am adding something on to this. Just note. THIS IS SORT OF A DOUBLE POST.

bloodybelle01 says...

Thank you,
Tate x

Rydia says...

By the way, reviews on your own work don't actually count as reviews. This piece is out of the green room now though because mine did but if you want something removed in future, feel free to message any of the mods and we can do that for you - there's an option in the moderator panel to make a work skip being in the green room.

I figured that out afterwords..... and thank you!

Rydia says...

No prob :)

Rydia wrote a review...

Hello there!

First, just an observation, but you may not need a latin glossary unless you're planning to use a lot of latin words? If you're a couple of chapters in already and you only have three then you might be able to use the context of the writing instead to get the meaning instead. For example, if one character says te amo and then another says 'I love you too' then we know te amo means I lvoe you.

Which brings me to my second point - strictly speaking, amare is 'to love' rather than 'love' so you may want to fix that.

The others are both right. Best of luck with this but please keep in mind that having your readers flick to the back of the book every time they need to look a latin word up might distract them from reading your story.

~Heather

Yeah, I am planning on using more latin... would you suggest, though, that the first time a word comes up, I include the definitions in the actual chapter?

Rydia says...

I think it would certainly help if it was clear what the latin meant the first time or two, or if you're not using much latin you could put it in the post notes at the end of the page? Terry Pratchett does that a lot in his Discworld novels when he's translating trollish or explaining key details.

Yeah, thanks :)

Fri May 29, 2015 3:25 am
Bball41 wrote a review...

So, I'm here for a review... And I remember how much I loved reading a port of your story last time so I thought I would come back and review more of your work. Obviously in this little section there isn't all that much to review, but I guess there is the idea.

So as I review this idea I'm just gonna try to keep it simple :). Cause simple is sometimes better than over the top.

So, the idea of adding Latin to your story is actaylly a really unique and cool idea. I think that when these words are seen though out the story it will sorta get that extra touch of originality. Also, it will keep your reader's excited. When using the same words over and over again it can e one tidious and boring and then the reader will lose interest. But adding Latin gives it a little extra umph to keep the uniqueness and excitement levels up.

Also, some of the words you are changing to Latin might clear confusion up and maybe even give a little extra flare to the story. For example, love in English has so many different meanings but uses the exact same word. But, maybe in Latin, it's different. I'm obviously no Latin expert but maybe that's the case. But, you never know haha.

So yeah, overall fantastic idea and also very original!!!

Keep writing bro.

~#41

Thanks again for another wonderful review!

A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.
— Roald Dahl