The Raven: A Five Hundred Word Story

by RossLighting

The Raven. A majestic creature which can soar through the sky, perilously swooping from side to side, as he landed on a fence. He breathed in, and slowly breathed out, relaxing himself into a comfortable position. He was a nice raven, talking to the other animals about their worries and troubles, reassuring them and helping them. He was widely respected in the animal community, and had several nicknames made up for him. He enjoyed the nicknames. It made him feel welcome. Ravens like him were normally hated and feared, but this one was amazingly friendly. He sighed peacefully, and flew off to another porch. He decided to perch on the barn's roof, a comfortable place he enjoyed to perch on. From there, he noticed a group of 5 pigs watching him. He raised an eyebrow, and began his daily preach. A preach about safety, loyalty, and religion, which he knew lots about. The pigs listened in awe and wonder. They loved hearing their idol talk in his smooth Morgan Freeman voice. This was heaven on Earth for every reason. It was if time has slowed down, his words rolling off the tongue as he had just learnt all the words of a play, he spoke them effortlessly, like a ringmaster in a circus. As he finished, on opening his eyes, he noticed even more animals listening to him talk. He smiled as they clapped loudly and let a tear run down his cheek. He made a snap decision and flew off, finding yet another perch to relax on. Ah, by the shed! A fence post was by the shed, and it was standing upright. He flew over, and stood up rigidly. Rummaging in his bag, a small satchel, he pulled out a postcard. On it, he wrote:

Marie,

Enjoying the preaching tour. Hope you are well!

John

He finished the postcard with a romantic sigh. Noticing a nearby postcrow, he asked the postcrow to deliver his postcard. With a salute, the quick postcrow flew off quickly and easily. The Raven smiled. He reached into his satchel yet again and pulled out two notepads. He used one for diary entries and one for notes. A very sophisticated raven, he thought to himself slyly. He quite enjoyed writing in his diary. It was one of his most treasured objects. He had began writing his diary on the 25th of November 2016. Now, in the 23rd of February 2017, he had made much improvement with his writing. He finished marking in his diary with a swift swipe of the pen. He put his diary back in his satchel and jotted down in his notes:

'Fly over to the Whitt Farm to preach'

Then, he looked back at the farm he had been staying at for a week. He was going to miss this place. He always missed his old spots. With a sigh, he took off, and flew towards the sunset. Breathing in, and Breathing out, he wondered if he would ever stay somewhere nice.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:12 pm

The Raven. A majestic creature which can soar through the sky, perilously swooping from side to side, as he landed on a fence. He breathed in, and slowly breathed out, relaxing himself into a comfortable position. He was a nice raven, talking to the other animals about their worries and troubles, reassuring them and helping them. He was widely respected in the animal community, and had several nicknames made up for him. He enjoyed the nicknames. It made him feel welcome. Ravens like him were normally hated and feared, but this one was amazingly friendly. He sighed peacefully, and flew off to another porch. He decided to perch on the barn's roof, a comfortable place he enjoyed to perch on. From there, he noticed a group of 5 pigs watching him. He raised an eyebrow, and began his daily preach. A preach about safety, loyalty, and religion, which he knew lots about. The pigs listened in awe and wonder. They loved hearing their idol talk in his smooth Morgan Freeman voice. This was heaven on Earth for every reason. It was if time has slowed down, his words rolling off the tongue as he had just learnt all the words of a play, he spoke them effortlessly, like a ringmaster in a circus. As he finished, on opening his eyes, he noticed even more animals listening to him talk. He smiled as they clapped loudly and let a tear run down his cheek. He made a snap decision and flew off, finding yet another perch to relax on. Ah, by the shed! A fence post was by the shed, and it was standing upright. He flew over, and stood up rigidly. Rummaging in his bag, a small satchel, he pulled out a postcard. On it, he wrote:

Okayy...I have to say I am not entirely certain that this one quite works here. It seems like its not quite meant to be serious in some parts with the way you've chosen to describe things, but then there's also the whole sense of something nice being conveyed to the animals around them and you also get an oddly wholesome feeling. Its also as the story itself states something rather out of character for a raven and it just all comes together to form this very interesting opening paragraph here. As it stands, its pretty cool, but I do think this first paragraph is maybe a hair too long and could do with some splitting up. The description heavy that I normally wouldn't prefer on a story, oddly manages to work out here.

He finished the postcard with a romantic sigh. Noticing a nearby postcrow, he asked the postcrow to deliver his postcard. With a salute, the quick postcrow flew off quickly and easily. The Raven smiled. He reached into his satchel yet again and pulled out two notepads. He used one for diary entries and one for notes. A very sophisticated raven, he thought to himself slyly. He quite enjoyed writing in his diary. It was one of his most treasured objects. He had began writing his diary on the 25th of November 2016. Now, in the 23rd of February 2017, he had made much improvement with his writing. He finished marking in his diary with a swift swipe of the pen. He put his diary back in his satchel and jotted down in his notes:

'Fly over to the Whitt Farm to preach'

This at the moment sounds like the start to a very interesting slice of life story of sorts revolving around this raven...and I honestly think I would totally read a story like that judging from this point here. I don't believe I've ever really seen anything of quite this type before and it is really proving to be very interesting here. There's just a wonderful air around this story here that actually love quite a bit.

Feltrix wrote a review...

Feltrix here for a review. I'm sure you know that from the bold writing above.

I share an affection for ravens, especially intelligent, literate ravens with speech.

Any who, the first paragraph gives us a lot of information (so it should probably be more than one paragraph), but it doesn't use a lot of imagery. I am a firm believer that dialogue and descriptions are far better than outright stating something. Maybe show the raven being called by his nicknames, write what the raven is saying when he preaches.

"He smiled as they clapped loudly and let a tear run down his cheek." Sorry, but I don't think clapping works well without hands. And smiling doesn't work well with a beak. And I really don't know whether ravens can cry, but I wouldn't have the raven cry so easily.

"Rummaging in his bag, a small satchel, he pulled out a postcard. On it, he wrote:" The raven has a bag? Since when? What is he writing with?

"Marie,

John" I would have said earlier that the raven's name is John (and I'm sure other people would disagree with me). Italics.

"The Raven. A majestic creature which can soar through the sky, perilously swooping from side to side, as he landed on a fence." You go right from talking about ravens in general (it seems like) to talking about a specific raven. This is rather confusing. You also may have been talking about a specific raven the entire time, but it seems like you're talking about them in general, so I'd make this more clear. Also, I think a very in-depth description of the raven would make a great start.

"A very sophisticated raven," Italics here, too. And it makes more sense if the raven thinks 'I'm a very sophisticated raven.'

I know it's cliché, but I enjoy the 'flying off into the sunset' as an ending. Because of that, I'd move "Breathing in, and Breathing out, he wondered if he would ever stay somewhere nice." to before the flying into the sunset. It also seems like the raven thinks he stays in lots of nice places, so this sentence doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I hope that's helpful.

RossLighting says...

Hey Feltrix! I'm gonna go through your review!

Firstly, he doesn't have any nicknames. Fine, you prefer descriptions. But I just decided to put it.

Secondly, fine yes ravens probably cant clap or smile, but in the animal world, who knows. (I probably sound insane ehh)

Thirdly, no. I purposely decided to leave his name out. He sounds better as 'The Raven' than plain 'John'

Fourthly, I didn't even know I'd switched talking about them.

Fifthly, I was on a 500 word limit, I couldn't really change the words

Sixthly, I didn't know what to put for the ending, so I messed it up

-Ross

Pentavalence wrote a review...

Hiya! Penta here with a review.

First off, I love the concept! Ravens are always portrayed as 'bad' or 'evil', so it was nice to see something different. Now, on to the review.

Okay, so I get that it's only 500 words and that's really not much space for a story, but where's the tension? Where's the conflict? All you're doing is telling me about this smart, sophisticated raven. Well, good for him, but why would the reader be interested aside from the sheer unusuality of a talking raven?

Why would he know lots about safety, loyalty, and religion? Backstory, please! :)

Also, your first sentence: "The Raven. A majestic creature which can soar through the sky, perilously swooping from side to side, as he landed on a fence." This was really confusing as it switched tenses and POV. First you were talking about ravens as a species, then one singular raven in the space of one sentence.

I love the fact that he writes, though! I'd like to have more detail on that.

Anyway, good start! Keep writing!

-Penta

RossLighting says...

Hey Penta! Thank you for the review! I'm going to go through everything you said

Firstly, this story was not meant to have tension, or conflict, or anything. I find that slightly offensive that the reader wouldn't be interested.

Secondly, I have not given him a backstory, this was just a story I thought up, so maybe in the future.

Thirdly, what is a POV? And I didn't know I switched 'tenses' and 'POV'
And the detail on writing? As I said, maybe in the future.

-Ross

Pentavalence says...

POV is 'point of view' shortened, and I'm sorry if I offended you! I was kind of harsh, you're right. I just feel that a story should have a conflict or some form of tension to keep interest piqued. But then again, this is my opinion. Maybe someone else likes this story without a conflict, I just didn't.

-Penta

RossLighting says...

Ok, thanks for the point of view bit. And yeah, maybe conflict would of boosted the story a bit, but I never thought to add it. Its your opinion, that's fine

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:28 am
queenofscience wrote a review...

Hi, well, I checked this out because it was about animals. I'm a fan of talking animals. What chought my eye was that it was a 'good' raven.

Wow! I LOVE THE CONCEPT of a nice,good raven! This is so awesome! This is so beatiful,too! And he preches,too! Wow! Is's so refferching to see an 'good' raven as a protaginist!

I understand that this is a 500 word short story, but I would of loved some dialouge/get to know your character better. I also felt that you did a lot of telling vs showing, but I understand that this is a short peice. Like I said, the fact that you have a nice raven is what drew me in.

It would be interesting to write a longer story about this. I would read it, if you did.

Keep writing. :)

RossLighting says...

Hi Queenofscience, i'm glad you loved the story. I know i did a lot of dialogue but it is a descriptive story. And a longer story wasn't an idea i planned to do, but maybe.

-Ross

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:28 pm
EternalRain wrote a review...

Hey! Happy Thursday! :D

This was quite the interesting read! I'm especially digging the ending; it felt like it pulled together the story nicely. Though flying towards the sunset seems a bit cliche, I liked the essence the ending had.

The first paragraph was really long. This is usually a turn off for readers, but for the ones that do stay: it can get confusing, or hard to read. I would recommend breaking it apart into two or maybe three separate paragraphs to polish it up a bit.

As far as word choice goes, I think there are several times where words are repeated or different words could be used. Word choice can be a lot more effective than one might think, and with a repetition of words it can 1) sometimes cause confusion, 2) seem lazy, and 3) be boring to read. Also, I would try and steer away from adverbs because usually they can be replaced with stronger words/a stronger description.

So, I'm a bit confused. We have this raven, and he gives a speech. Then he writes a postcard to Marie and we learn a bit about his writing. Though I appreciate a good fantasy and some talking animals, this felt a little too scrambled. With a bit more context and extra world building - just some explaining - I think it could clear up this. I don't mind that the raven is doing all these things, but it is abnormal and feels a bit weird.

It was fun to read, though. The love for the raven that the animals have is clearly conveyed and I also really liked the ending - it's a bit sad. I hope he finds a good place to stay!

I'm wondering if this was exactly 500 words? xD Keep writing <3

~EternalRain

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:59 pm
inktopus wrote a review...

Greetings, Ross Lightning! Storm's here to do a review, so let's jump right into it!

A majestic creature which can soar through the sky, perilously swooping from side to side, as he landed on a fence.

The 'as he landed on a fence' part doesn't really fit with the rest of the sentence. You were referring to him as an it and then you suddenly switched to using 'he'. It just doesn't read well.

It made him feel welcome. Ravens like him were normally hated and feared, but this one was amazingly friendly.

The same as above. You called the raven a he and then said 'this one', which doesn't fit at all.

He raised an eyebrow, and began his daily preach. A preach about safety, loyalty, and religion, which he knew lots about.

You didn't use the word preach correctly. Sermon may be a better option considering that preach is a verb, not a noun.

With a salute, the quick postcrow flew off quickly and easily.

You used quick twice in the same sentence. That's pretty redundant; since we already know that the crow is quick, why don't you use another word to describe him?

Breathing in, and Breathing out, he wondered if he would ever stay somewhere nice.

This is kind of strange. I thought the raven missed the places he stayed. Now I'm getting the idea that he is unhappy with the places he goes.

This wasn't bad. There wasn't any plot, which was kind of strange. Even with little plotless drabbles like this one, there's usually a storyline, but this doesn't really have one. I had very little idea of the context and while the setting isn't bad, I think that this just aches for a plot. I most enjoyed the whimsical nature of the setting, I've always liked books with anthropomorphic animals as characters so it appealed to the nostalgia that I have for the books I read as a child.

Your grammar could use some work, so I'd definitely recommend that you look over anything you write in the future.

You used a lot of descriptive language in this, which is good, but it's overrun with adverbs. Sometimes, you should use a more specific verb rather than modify one by using an adverb.

Overall, the lack of plot made this strange to read, and this fact is made worse because there isn't any context given. Your description is solid and the setting was whimsical, which made is more fun to read. If you have any questions or need clarification feel free to ask me in a reply to this review or to send me a pm.

~ Storm

RossLighting says...

Right Storm, thanks for the criticism. Let me go through with it all.

Firstly, I don't really mind about switching from 'this one' to 'he' its just kind of something I do.

Secondly, about preaching. Sermon doesn't seem right for me and I prefer the use of preach.

Thirdly, I accidently put quick twice. Thanks for pointing that out.

Fourthly, he does misses the places he stayed. I wasn't trying to make him sound sad.

Fifthly, I don't need a plot in this story. A plot wouldn't fit in the story for me. Aching for a plot is a bit of a hyperbole, isn't it? I'm sorry but no.

My grammar doesn't need work in my opinion, and i wasn't even trying to 'overrun' this with adverbs. And i'm quite offended by your use of 'made worse'. Its good you found it whimsical, this was more of a description story. That covers everything.

Once again, thanks for commenting,

-Ross

RossLighting says...

I can tell you've done this before, no offence

inktopus says...

What do you mean by I've done this before? Do you mean that I have reviewed before?

RossLighting says...

Yeah

I regret everything.
— Ron Swanson