12+

.

by Rosendorn

.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:02 pm
Swordfish wrote a review...

Hello, Rosendorn~
This is MergSword here with a review!

Grammar Issues and Other Errors
Let's see, I don't believe I found any visible grammar issues or major errors. I'm usually big on capitalization, even though it isn't important. And then I looked at the description of the poem, that non-capitalization was intentional, hahaha.

The Pros of this Poem
I love the way this poem captures emotion, and tells the reader how to accept the loss of a treasured loved one. It is very considerate to write a poem from the heart, meant for people going through hard times, especially as they struggle to accept that someone they truly loved is gone. As NeverNeverLandGirl said, I loved the way you closed the poem with a message of hope, that somewhat comforts the reader.

The Cons of this Poem
I couldn't find any cons of this poem. Although, poetry is usually meant to be like this, I did have trouble comprehending what you were trying to say in some parts. It's nothing to change, really, in fact, the words that you used were very creative, I guess it's my fault that I can't comprehend, in fact the words you used made the poem even better. (I'm asking myself why I put this in the con section of the review o-o)

My Overall Opinion
This poem was very beautiful, and I could tell you put much thought into it. The poem was an inspiring message to those who struggled to accept that someone passed away, but in the end, it was going to be alright. I will remember this poem.

~Keep on Writing!

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:42 am
NeverNeverLandGirl wrote a review...

Here for a review.
Your poem reminded me of Michael Lee's poem, Pass On. And I love that poem. I loved your style of using the one, two, and three in a list of what they need to do after tragedy has struck. Most times when people are hurt and broken down by death of a loved one, they need the step-by-step instructions to get out of their fuzzy minds and broken hearts. It's hard to get through to them, and seems like you knew how to because you've felt it before. And I'm sorry if so.
I loved the way you closed the poem with hope. It's not a light subject, but as long as you give them someone to hold onto it can keep them going. And it's a good thing to let them know that life is still possible living. It may not be alright, but worth surviving. If they remember anything from the poem, it should be just that.
When it comes to the third thing, I think it's the word them that's throwing me off. I understand what you are meaning to say, but I think it would almost reach to a wider audience if you just told them to write it out. Write how they felt, what they want to tell, what they want differently, etc. Writing is a perfect coping skill and I think that just writing about them is almost too narrow.
The ';' after comfort should be a period, and I think that '(there never is)' should be it's own line rather then in parenthesis.
Overall, I really enjoyed the poem. Truly. I think it bleeds emotion and that's what every poem is. You captured the pain and let others know that they aren't alone and that they can make it through much like you have.
If that isn't a superpower I don't know what is.
-NeverNeverLandGirl

Rosendorn says...

Thank you. This poem is, indeed, from personal experience, but written for others going through hard times.

The reason I specified "them" is because I have found a few people feel they left things unsaid, and that is where a lot of their grief comes from. I know that is where a lot of my grief came from. So I specified to write to the person who died so you can tell them everything on your mind, everything you wished to say but didn't have the chance.

I'll consider your idea, as you are right. However, if you feel like my intent was lost and would clarify that stanza, I would very much appreciate any help on getting that message across!

Again, thank you. I'm glad you liked the work.

Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:41 am
emarko2 says...

Good short satire. Remembering love ones who pass is hard when time has passed.

Rosendorn says...

Mind clarifying? Satire is a genre meant to ridicule the dominant ideals of society. This piece was very much not meant to do that

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:55 pm
aseel says...

Touching. Thanks a lot. I needed this as my closest friend passed away about two months ago. It was really hard to pull myself together.

Rosendorn says...

I'm very sorry <3 Losing a friend is extraordinarily painful. I'm glad this helped, even if it was only a little bit

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:56 am
Auxiira says...

Thank you.

Rosendorn says...

You're welcome.

"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites