You and Me and Infinity

by KaiTheGreater

I wanted to say goodbye

But it wouldn’t fit around the infinite silence

Trapped between my teeth.

And what’s the point, really?

You won’t be gone, really-

I know you’ll always be there,

To haunt every breath, every step I take-

It’s what you do.

.

It’s just a word, anyway.

It’s what you’re meant to say,

It would just be pretending.

Maybe it would have been better, though

Than the universe of nothingness that wrapped around us

Seeping through every crack and winding infinitely tighter

As you slipped away.

.

You’re gone now,

It’s too late to change anything.

You’ll never read these words-

But it’s been echoing in my chest

Ever since the day I never said it.

The constant banging and thrashing keeps me up all night,

And I thought, I suppose

That if I let it out

You might leave me, too

And I’ll stop feeling echoes of your shadow every time I reach for the sun.

I guess I just wanted to say

.

Goodbye, dearest friend.

I pray your eternal rest is sweet.

kman134 wrote a review...

Hello, this is Kman134, here to review your poem.

Now, i get what the message is; no one truly dies and that if you remember this person, then he will never be gone from your life. the similes and the symbolisms were well put together. the emotions, as well, were very strong.

"It’s just a word, anyway.

It’s what you’re meant to say,

It would just be pretending.

Maybe it would have been better, though

As you slipped away."

Saying "Goodbye" may seem like a word, but it's a word that helps relieve the pain; some of this part seemed a bit nihilistic, calling it a "Universe of Nothingness". Some of this part was a little confusing, but still understandable. Also the metaphors were pretty good and deep, too.

Anyway, i loved this poem and wished to read another one like it.

AJSentinel wrote a review...

That's a pretty dark poem, but good nonetheless. Your use of symbolism and your vocabulary bring your inner struggle to life effortlessly.
However, I think what makes this poem the most powerful is how your emotions contrast. You wish their eternal rest is sweet despite the fact that they've left, that their absence haunts you. Great work!

darkmindedemo wrote a review...

I really like how you put emotion into this. The line "Goodbye, dearest friend. I pray your eternal rest is sweet." is really powerful. Another line that I like is "But it’s been echoing in my chest, Ever since the day I never said it." is one of my favorites in this poem. You are full of imagery, I could see how you are feeling. I relate to this feeling somewhat, its good to see it in words.

Cailey wrote a review...

Hey! Cailey here to review. It's been way too long since I've reviewed (it's always been too long since I've reviewed. Sigh) but I love poetry and have some free time.

I just wanted to say first of all that this was a beautiful happy surprise. I'll be totally honest I was a little bit wary about reading this since you mentioned that it was about death, and I just had a whole class about cliches and how some topics have been written about so much that it's just inevitable that they become cliche. But this was very much not cliche and I applaud that muchly.

I think my favorite part is those first two lines. Especially the second. It pulled me in so fast and it sounded beautiful. Your whole poem sounded so beautiful. I read it out loud and the line breaks were perfect. I'm a huge fan of poetry that sounds nice.

My biggest suggestion for you to work on as you continue with this is to define the relationship between the speaker and the person being spoken to/about. You have that one line "haunt every breath" which makes me think that this is a very negative relationship and maybe it's a good thing that the person is gone.
But then the end is like, wait no, not at all. So it just left me feeling really confused. Is this just a friend? What is the relationship? I'd really love if you could narrow that down and pull it throughout the poem.

Also I think the end is not nearly as strong as your beginning and middle. Try to go out with more of a punch.

Finally, that line "ever since the day I never said it" is pure gold. Whatever you do, make sure that line stays in your writing. I absolutely adore that line.

That's all. Keep writing! Cailey out.

Lightsong wrote a review...

Hey, I'm here to give you a quick review! :D

I wanted to say goodbye
Trapped between my teeth
And what’s the point, really?

The first three lines are actually good--the imagery is vague and abstract, but it's there. I could see how you've woven the words so that they'll flow out of my mouth when I speak of them. The last line ruins it, I think. I think the word structure in it is the less poetic, using 'what's the point' to get the message across when the word choice is more like a complaint rather than snippets of poem.

And what’s the point, really?
You won’t be gone, really

Yeah, I want to point out the repetition in these lines. I think the first one could do without 'really' as it's effective by itself already.

It’s just a word, anyway
It’s what you’re meant to do
It would just be pretending.

I think these lines need punctuations to make them actually relate to each other. Your poem is consistent with punctuations until this point, so it'll be good to keep at that. Maybe a semi-colon or em dash at each line would make the line breaks more connected.

And I thought, I suppose
That if I let it out
You might leave me, to

The lesser the words used, the tighter the poem is. 'I suppose' in the first line isn't necessary, 'that' can be omitted', and 'to' should be 'too'. Take a read of how it goes when the words are removed:

And I thought
if I let it out
you might leave me too

Tighter lines, which makes the message more powerful.

And I’ll stop tasting echoes of your shadow every time I reach for the sun.

I understand your desire to give us an imagery, but you have to be wary on when you're crossing the line. Here, you cross it a bit. 'echoes of shadow' don't make sense, as shadow is not something you can hear--only see. There's a limit on how to project your metaphors, and as absurd as they could be, you need to understand how they should be understandable in the basic sense.

Overall, I think the message of this poem is nice. You've done a bit tweaking here and there to make it more creative and divert from the typical poems that convey the same message, but I think more efforts should be put into this. More visual imageries should be executed so that the message can be delivered more sharply, more powerfully. When you start doing something, keep it consistent till the end--punctuations, sequences of imageries, etc.

And that is all! Keep up the good job! :D

Thanks for reviewing! Will definitely think on everything you've said. One thing, though- I was trying to go for a vague, listless tone, as one lost in grief (hoping it would sound more honest), but I'm not sure how well I pulled it off. I wasn't really intending to go for a 'tight' poem. Should I change that? Would it come off better as powerful, or intentionally clumsy, as I was originally aiming for?

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett