A Hero of the Towers

by Riverlight

TW: This poem was written in remembrance of the events of 9/11/2001.

Note: I was not alive when 9/11 happened. But like most people, I've seen the pictures, the videos. I've read the articles, the testimonies. This is not meant to idealize any part of the tragedy that was 9/11.

I can still smell the smoke from that September day,

the day where towers fell and lives were cast away.

I can recall the tears of mourning and the prayers that healed us all;

I was in New York the day I watched the Twin Towers fall.

Four planes flew from coast to coast that morn,

and they would change the fate of America forevermore.

Lo, I stood on the ground as the attack began;

I watched the smoke billow down from the North Tower's parapet.

Less than twenty minutes later, I saw the ghastly sight once more:

Satan's loyal workers attacked the South Tower's steel core.

My eyes brimmed with tears as I watched on hopelessly;

What on Earth was happening to the Land of the Free?

The sirens wrang out, the people cried, bang, and then silence came--

the South Tower soon fell, killing all still inside; we knew not who to blame.

The North Tower followed her beloved sister mere minutes afterwards.

Our prayers were unanswered, our mourning forgotten, while our tears streamed down to the earth.

I can still remember what New York was like that September day,

for I was there and died as the North Tower gave way.

I have been avenged by the grace of my loving God,

for he has led my brethern to protect and defend once more.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:29 am
IMK wrote a review...

Hey! IMK here.

--

First of all. Thank you so much for writing this. It's really important that people understand that 9/11 was a huge event in the history of America, and the entire world.

--

Now onto the poem as a poem. I really love the imagery, its very emotional and thorough. I also love the use of descriptive terms like ghastly.

The punctuation is refreshing, I rarely see people using dashes and semicolon as obsessively as I do (not implying that your use is obsessive).

Personifying ideas is something i do pretty commonly, but I'm not sure what I think of it when used to describe the twin towers.

Other than that, i only see a few spelling errors (brethern --> brethren on the last line) (wrang --> rang in "The sirens wrang out") and a moment where I would replace a word with an interjection (the people cried, bang, and then silence came-- --> the people cried- BANG! And then silence came--).

--

That's it for my review, have a good day!

--

-IMK

ILUVBUNNIES08 wrote a review...

I just got to say wow this is so emotional and I love how you wrote about 9/11. This almost made me cry. I feel like this should be published. I mean I am not an expert writer or reviewer but this is really good. When you said, "Less than twenty minutes later, I saw the ghastly sight once more Satan's loyal workers attacked the South Tower's steel core." I just had chills. Those men who destroyed the tower went into this knowing they would die but they did it anyway. Whoever recruited these people deserve to be punished.

ILUVBUNNIES08 says...

wow

Doing that kind of work, you really get to know if you like animals. If you can somehow enjoy cleaning out their cages, then you know you genuinely love animals.
— Jack Hanna