The Bane of Night

by Rishdek

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night to see him looming over you. Saying nothing, just looking at you with an idle dead expression in his face. Although expressionless you can feel his thoughts, his presence is in the room darkening existence itself. His very being feels intoxicating, yet evil. His demeanor contrary to his look is somehow happy, even though he hasn’t even moved a muscle he seems happy, although dead. You hear his light breathing, barely audible except that his presence has brought silence to the world. But you realize that you can’t breathe. His mere aura takes your breath away, in a good way but yet, it feels sinister. You try to move but you can’t. He subconsciously took away your ability to move. Or was that too his aura, not of his fruition? He opens his mouth, expression unchanging.

“You are so calm when you sleep.” He quietly whispers to you, comforting you in a malevolent way. You try to open your mouth but no words will come.

“Shh,” He macabrely mutters “there is no time for you to try and stop what is in motion. Soon it will all be over.”

His expression is still, ever unchanging. Eyes dead, facial features expressionless. You open your mouth to utter all you could, using every bit of energy you say what you can. One word.

“Why?”

“Because I will not let others suffer anymore.” He smiles, while the backside of his hand caresses your cheek.

Then, you can breathe. He is gone. although terrifying, without him you feel a void in your soul. Almost as if, you need him to be complete again.

Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:16 am

First Impression: This seems like a wonderful little piece here from the extract that we've got. I already find myself very much wanting to know more about what all of this is referring to and how this scene came about.

Well that definitely is a rather terrifying way to be waking up here. Quite the powerful moment here to start us off Even if this is just an extract, this really was well chosen because that really captures your attention so, so quickly.

“Why?”

Oh wow this dialogue here is something else entirely. You've really tapped in some serious horror vibes there. And given we don't really get to see that much in terms of the context of all of this we don't know who's in the right so when this one mentions the whole I'm about to get rid of you situation it of course just makes things that much more powerful.

Well that's an interesting little choice there of ending. It adds on another mysterious aspect to the whole situation even if it doesn't necessarily heighten the fear factor there. I suppose with this being a simple extract we just don't quite know enough to have the full idea here.

Overall: Overall, this really was quite the read. I would very much love to read more and see what this is all about. I'd say you've successfully hooked me with just this little piece here.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:13 pm
MissGangamash wrote a review...

Hello! Here to review!

'dead expression in his face' - should be 'on his face'

It's odd to mention his expression then say he is expressionless. I know it's because it's a 'dead expression' but it just reads a bit iffy. Maybe change up the phrasing.

'his presence is in the room darkening existence itself' - 'his presence into only darkens the room, but blackens all existence' maybe?

I can't picture how someone can have a dead expression and an evil being but seem happy. The juxtaposition of all those things makes a very convoluted image.

'in a good way but yet, it feels sinister.' - you've already established that his presence is evil so they 'but yet' seems redundant. We know he's sinister.

When he touches the person, it would be good to add some detail of how he feels. The whole scene sort of feels like a vacuum. Like an impossible moment. So maybe the touch of him would make it feel real, or maybe he feels like a ghost, or maybe he doesn't feel like anything at all. That touch would either ground the moment or make the person aware that it is a dream. It could be a very crucial part to the scene so it would be extremely useful to use it!

Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:16 pm
KuzaAstral says...

Jeez, This sent shivers down my spine. I can't imagine what the world would be like if this was me in the story. Such a good written piece, You really have a wild imagination. Keep writing!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:40 pm
Cat_15 wrote a review...

I really like this piece! It leaves so many questions, which makes me want to read more. You said this was from an excerpt of a book you're making, which is leading me to think of so many scenarios of how this all plays out. Right after you think you have an idea of the passage, the last line changes so much-which I love. Great Job!

Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
— Thomas Neill