Modern Heroi$m

by Renard

'I am trying to be heroic....

...in an age of modernity.'

Has the true concept of the hero been lost in the modern era?

From Hercules to Hercule Poirot, from Martin Luther King to Stephen King. We all have different ideas of what makes a hero. The list of criteria is unobtainable and constantly changing as we adjust to the rapid evolution of concepts in the modern world - that of what makes a 'hero' included.

Classically, a hero was someone who: 'was typically a man, admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.' An alternative perspective however, could suggest that heroes are rather irresponsible, somewhat foolish characters. Rushing into situations without considering the consequences. Taking risks and acting rashly. All the things we have been advised to do the opposite of! And yet, we idolise those who have the courage to be valiant where others would hesitate.

It is said there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity. But where are we drawing the line? The point at which talk about donating your life to a cause becomes 'noble'; we risk losing the regard of meaning for human life altogether. In more recent times, we've been conditioned to recognise acts of heroism through war. Wars don't manufacture heroes, but they do mass manufacture funerals.

'Dying for a cause does not make you a hero, even if you save people in the process. It just makes you dead. To do so when you know you are leaving people behind who will be devastated, because you want to save other people but don't care enough to save yourself, well that is the biggest act of hypocrisy in existence.' ~ Anonymous

Free will is one of the biggest privileges for us as people, it defines our lives through our choices: we decide who we will become, what we will do and whom with. Therefore it seems almost insulting to throw this basic human right back in the face of the universe's system and opt to die in the name of heroics.

Whilst the concept of what makes a hero is so open to criticism, it seems only by examining the motives of the 'hero' do we come to understand whether or not the risk of their action is worth-it. Be it for financial gain, personal fulfilment, or even the challenge it is now easier than ever to become a hero.

Looser values on what counts as heroism mean that one only has to invite a thousand strangers to their house for a teenage rave via Facebook and they are classed as a 'legend.'

'Aiming to go down in history as one of the greats was never noble. Generally, the people who don't try to be great are the ones that are.' ~ Anonymous

Becoming a figure of great admiration is not difficult to achieve when the likes of pop culture icons such as Justin Bieber and Kim Kardashian are used role models for the young generation. The real issue here relies on the definition of modern day heroism.

Be it through war, music, politics or any medium - there is the inescapable ability for humans to instil inspiration in others. In such cases that this leads to heroic idolisation, it suggests that the 'heroic' aspect stems more from the reaction of the recipient as opposed to the original, potentially courageous, actions of the hero.

'A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.' ~ Joseph Campbell [author]

Given the major links between being a hero and making large, selfless sacrifices, it seems unjustified to use the term too freely in relation to more modern 'celebutantes' we award the accolade of being our role models. Somewhere along the evolutionary road to the digital era, it seems becoming a hero was attainable through something as simple as creating the next iPhone App that acted as a 'life-saving' tool.

First world appreciation of technological advances over social achievement and political progression appears to have occurred synonymously with the loss of true heroes within our society.

For the next generation of heroes the definition will be resuscitated all over again.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:06 am
Mysticalxx wrote a review...

Wonderful article!

This directly addressed the issue most people (mainly kids) face nowadays. Most of us are under the impression that heroes fall under the stereotypical categories: brave, loyal, handsome and strong. We fail to realise that being a hero does not simply mean that you go to battle in shining armour to save your family, but that anyone can be a hero in their own way.

Keep it up.

Mysticalxx

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:29 pm
WWombat wrote a review...

The last time I checked, a hero was someone to look up to, much like Spiderman. However you have taken it slightly out of context. To me a hero is a superhero in a costume. Heroism cannot transcend over to other forms; it cannot be financial or mental. It's black and white. I also find your descriptions of war to not be of my taste. Your use of quotes is rather irrelevant because they do not discuss superheroes. Please, edit it so there is a mention of superheroes. Other than that, good job. Reminds me of Oscar Wilde.

Thank you for the review.
I will bear your suggestions in mind.
GO SPIDERMAN! XD

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:49 pm
Bugslake wrote a review...

This is a very interesting topic to rea about. Many people have forgotten what a true hero is and instead have used this word for the meaning of an idol.

I truly believe that a hero is someone that will give up their life for the ones they love. Not because of anyone one else's ideas or thoughts about the situation, but that they love that one person so much that they are willing to die for them. They don't expect others to look upon their death as heroic, but they do anyway.

I think you hit it on the head when you describe what people think of heroes today. You have definitely showed what a problem this is in our world today.

Thank for this, I hope many others read this and truly think about what a true hero is.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:19 pm
MasterGrieves wrote a review...

Although I was aware of what this article entailed- you showed me an excerpt- I didn't expect the links you made, and I certainly didn't expect to relate to it, and even say "that example; people do that all the time."

I find your article relevant, not just through your use of modern day examples but also in the mentions of war. That one quote you have added:

Wars don't manufacture heroes, but they do mass manufacture funerals.

It is true, to the point where it starts to question the reader. Obviously, this is intended as a piece of journalism, and is your opinion, so I bared that in mind. In terms of the traits of a piece of journalism, it is well structured. Every couple of paragraphs, you add quotes from anonymous and well known sources. I also like how you have given examples of the different forms of heroism.

The title- the inclusion of the dollar bill instead of an S- implies to the reader that heroism in the modern sense is one involving money and finance. I would like to see you expand on this idea a bit further, and explain in what context you mean; do you mean people act heroic for financial gain, or the most common form of heroism involves finance and celebrity?

Overall, a very impressive article, lovey. Keep up the good work :)

Be led by your talent and not by your self-loathing ... everything beautiful in the world is within you.
— Russell Brand