The Battlefield

by RedMoon

Crimson and scarlet mingle freely,

Dancing between rock and stone,

Leather and iron,

And crown the heads of noble men.

Friend or foe, king or peasant:

None are free from

Attending this ball.

Iron, bronze, and steel -

Foundation of empires

And constructs of its demise -

Raze and ruin by the beckoning

Of men clothed in purple and scarlet,

And hung with gold.

Men, living, dying,

Surviving,

Following fools of the velvet cloth -

Fools made great by

Tortured deeds

Forever dogging their heels.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:25 am
Riverlight wrote a review...

Hello there, @RedMoon! It's Vilnius, here to review your work.

You've used excellent imagery to describe an era of war, death, and bloodshed during times of strife. I like how you've specified that this is a time for "iron, bronze, and steel," giving this poem a medieval feel. I think that by describing the men as "clothed in purple and scarlet," you've emphasized that nobles and royals are in this particular fray, and hw awful the fighting is.

Have a nice [*insert time of day here*]!!!

Meshugenah wrote a review...

Hello! First, I'll echo what Kaos said about stanzas ^^

Now. I generally like where you're going with your imagery, but you're bogged down in being both concise and flowery in your wording. For instance, I think your first line is relatively indicative: "Crimson and scarlet mingle freely." Now, granted, I am taking this slightly out of context of the rest of the line, but that's also the first impression we have as readers. We don't know what you're talking about, other than colors, and the next few lines do not clarify. Yes, we do have your title, but that also only goes so far.

That aside, you're relying on paralleling things, but you're listing more than anything. Couple that with your punctuation (I have punctuation problems, so take anything I say there with a massive grain of salt) and we're left bogged down in details, not your words. Basically, what I'm getting from this is you're giving us lists, and trying to use punctuation to emphasize a point, but your point is getting lost in both your structure and lack of conventional structure. Which sounds really confusing now that I read it back.

So, let me take your first few lines as an example:

Crimson and scarlet mingle freely,
Dancing between rock and stone,
Leather and iron,
Crown the heads of noble men.

If this were written out as a sentence, it'd read as a run-on, and one without (oh lord, grammar, save me) a verb or a parent clause. Your last line almost is there, but doesn't quite work grammatically. But, basically, you don't have a complete sentence - which you don't always want or need in poetry! - but in this case I think it affects understanding. You don't have "Crown" linked to any of your nouns, so is it the crimson/scarlet that are crowning heads? The rock? or the leather and iron (which I think is your intent)?

Basically, I'm left to guess at how to read this - which again, is not always a bad thing! - but I don't think it was your intention here. So, this is how I end up reading this (punctuation/a couple words mixed up):

Crimson and scarlet mingle freely,
Dancing between rock and stone:
Leather and iron
Crown the heads of noble men.

That's one way to clarify. You could also say "leather and iron/that crown the heads..." for clarify, too. That's entirely up to you.

Anyway! The minutiae done: I really like some of the images you've started to build here, I just want you to do more with it! You tagged this with "politics," and I'd love to see more of that highlighted! You describe a battlefield, but you touch so briefly on the politics behind battles! I'd love to see more of the fools and empires juxtaposed with the grit and dirt and blood to highlight. Play with the colors you've started to explore - you can do a lot with that as a lens for focusing the rest of your imagery!

I hope at least some of that helped!

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:57 am
Virgil wrote a review...

This is Kaos here for a review.

A small note before I get into this is that you don't have stanzas in this poem which I don't know if this was intentional or not but I think it would be beneficial to add stanzas. If you meant to have stanzas, in the Publishing Center you can have the lines together and then do shift+enter but if that's too vague of an explanation, you could do a "~" to indicate when your stanzas start and end.

Crimson and scarlet mingle freely,

Dancing between rock and stone,

Leather and iron,

Crown the heads of noble men.

I like the idea of blood and the color of crimson mingling in the first line, but after that it was kind of dropped for the other three lines. I would have liked to see more detail of it and for that detail to sort of build up instead of you dropping that imagery almost as soon as you used it. The second line here I think could be changed with "rock and stone" to something with blades or armor even. After the second line, you should have a period because the next two lines are a sort of new thought. The third and fourth lines need elaborated on or expanded instead of just having this one way to describe things that I noticed here. "crimson and scarlet" and "rock and stone" and "leather and iron". Implement this in the poem in a different way because listing them gets a little tiring and the lines start to become weaker when you use it too much because of the unwanted repetition.

Friend or foe, king or peasant:

None are free from

Attending this ball.

I didn't really think that the colon needed to be there and could just be replaced with a comma. Here you're talking about a ball and it was a little harder to interpret but I figured that you were going back to the line with dancing. In the first line I didn't really know why "friend or foe" was there other than to serve the purpose to have two sets of "Blank or Blank" to make it sound good because this poem doesn't or hasn't really addressed if there is a specific side of the battle that it's on. If there's a speaker that is on one side, it isn't apparent through the poem.

Iron, bronze, and steel -

Foundation of empires

And constructs of its demise -

Raze and ruin by the beckoning

Of men clothed in purple and scarlet,

And hung with gold.

You go back to listing and it gets a little repetitive. There needs to be some more form of punctuation here and you need to chop the lines up, and I think a good place for a period would be after the third line. For the repetition, finding another way to word this would be good.

In the first line I don't really get how the iron, bronze, or steel connects to the rest of the lines and I get that you put a dash there but it doesn't fit in with the rest of them so I suggest changing it to something else or taking it out. The imagery becomes rather lacking near the end of these lines because you go back to relying on colors. There's more than color and there's more than metal to talk about. Think about all five senses here. What on the battlefield is seen, heard, smelled, touched, tasted. Is there clanking of weapons, is there a certain smell carried by the wind, do they taste blood like copper? There are so many different things you can do with this, so get creative with it and use the five senses to your full potential with the imagery.

Men, living, dying,

Surviving,

Following fools of the velvet cloth -

Fools made great by

Tortured deeds

Forever dogging their heels.

The first line is vague which is a bit of a problem I had with the rest of the poem. Another problem is that you try and drag things on too long without ending the lines and it messes up the flow. I suggest reading this aloud and placing periods more often, like when a certain thought ends or a line ends off. An example of this is the second line here with "surviving" connecting to the first line, it would be good to have a period after it.

Back to the first line being vague, people are living and dying, how are they living, how are they dying? How do they die, how do they survive? Go into more depth about it. The last three lines here were actually my favorites off the poem because it wasn't just listing to describe things and I think that it would help if you used the five senses to think more about your imagery here.

I hope this helped and have a great day!

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:58 pm
Justlittleoleme2 wrote a review...

This is a fine little poem, with nice imagery.
I especially love the first stanza. Pure poetry! ^.^

I couldn't find any grammar issues to speak of, but overall I was left feeling like it could be better. I think your first stanza really set my expectations high.We are talking about war here! There is so much at your disposal.

When I went about trying to put my feelings into words I ended up writing my own version of your poem, which shows what I mean very well:

Crimson and scarlet mingle freely.

Dancing between Rock and Stone.

Men Lay dead after the melee,

Of Leather, Iron, and bone.

Friend or foe, king or peasant:

All were invited to the ball,

The door prize was most unpleasant -

Leather, Iron, and gall.

The Foundation of the Empires -

The Construct of their Ruination -

Raze and ruin by the fires,

Stoked by men of the coronation,

Men,

Living, dying, surviving,

Following fools of the velvet cloth -

and by their folly made rich,

with death, shame, and rot.

I'm sorry if this comes off a little... I don't know. I feel weird editing someone else's poem. They are so personal, :/

But this was the best way I could communicate what I meant by, "Feel like it could be better."

Do you see what I mean?

What you have written is good, but it feels like a diamond in the rough. It's got the shiny parts that flow, with words that dance, but it also have rough bits that make reading it feel awkward.

It needs a little polishing to bring out it's full potential.

Again, poetry is completely subjection and personal, if you love it as it is, that is all I need to hear.

Have a good day, and keep writing!!! ^.^

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
— S.E. Hinton