z

Young Writers Society


18+

Eclipse: Chapter 5, Don't Think About it

by RealSadhours296


Warning: This work has been rated 18+.

Chapter #5: Don’t Think About it

Noriko ran, and ran, and ran.

Never had she felt so terrified and helpless before.

At a certain point, she realized that nothing was chasing her. She wanted to stop running by then; her legs were starting to ache so badly that it felt like they were on fire.

But she couldn’t stop running, not on her own.

A tree ahead of her blocked her path. She slammed her hand against the bark, forcing herself to stop. The pain in her palm was stinging.

There she gasped for breath, trying to calm her beating heart.

Focus Noriko, focus! That was a tiger, right? In a taiga? That can only mean that they’re somewhere within Russia or Mongolia. That Panthera could have only been a Siberian tiger just from the habitat.

Good, good. Noriko knows where she and the others are. Now, she needs to study her surroundings.

And so she did. She scanned the trees surrounding her, the barely observable night sky, and the dark green grass. There was nothing worthwhile to note. Every direction she viewed was as similar to where she remembered herself to have been before.

…The others!

Noriko smacked her fist against her head multiple times. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! What was she thinking?! Running away from a predator only provokes its hunting instincts! Now everyone is separated, and who knows which of the three the tiger got to first…!

Not to mention that since everything looks the same within this taiga, how on earth is Noriko going to find the others? Where is she even? Did she run north? East? South? West?

She had no idea. She was alone. She was completely alone with nothing to distract her from her worries.

Noriko could feel her heart race faster and faster. Slowly she breathed in and out.

No! Don’t think about it! Don’t!

She needs to rationalize. She needs to think logically.

Ok, Ok. The best thing Noriko could do right now is wander for a bit. Maybe she’ll find a footprint, or perhaps a discarded shoe, or something that could lead her to a person. Traveling through this forest would be far better than standing here; she was an easy target for predators standing still.

She picked a random direction and toed between the trees.

The forest floor was a river of brown peat moss, piles of snow, and hidden rocks; she had to watch her feet with every step, as she was not wearing any shoes. Not even her tights would protect her from the stray jagged pebble, sharp enough to pierce through her soles.

The fresh air of the forest felt like it was slowly suffocating her. She tried to shut her ears to the oppressing silence, but it weighed further on her as she traveled. The canopy of the trees blocked out the moon’s glow, casting a heavy shadow over her.

Noriko's surroundings were…too familiar now. Was she going in a circle?

No. Think logically; Noriko was already lost. She can’t get any more lost at this point, so she shouldn't worry about it. There’s no need to be scared.

The silence was so uncomfortable and restless to Noriko that she clapped her hands repeatedly to make a noise. Her logic told her this was a bad idea, as the noise could alert predators, but her under-stimulation was so bad that she couldn’t stop.

At least no one else was here to see her do this. She didn’t have to worry about distracting or annoying anyone.

The stimming helped her calm herself a little, but various thoughts and questions she had pushed aside while focused on the others were beginning to surface; they bombarded her mind at every step.

Who am I?

Don’t think about it.

Why am I here? How did I even get here?

Don’t think about it.

How did I lose my arm?

Don’t think about it.

…I'm scared.

Don’t think about it.

Noriko smacked her ears and bit her lip in frustration. She needs to find the others. She won’t be hit with these intrusive thoughts as long as she has them to worry about.

But are they safe?

Don’t think about it.

Are they hurt?

Don’t think about it.

Are they dead?

Stop!

I'm alone! Alone in a forest with no one to hear me scream!

Just stop!

No one would bat an eye if I was killed right now! No one knows I'm here!

Stop it!

What if I do find the others?! Is there even a river nearby?!

Don’t think about that!

Are we all going to die?! Am I going to die?!

Just stop it!

Noriko collapsed onto her knees. Leaning her shaking body against a nearby tree. She curled herself up into a ball and rocked back and forth, clutching onto her torn sleeve and pulling at her hair as tears threatened to squeeze out of her eyes.

Don’t you dare cry! You’re better than this!

I'm so scared! I don’t want to die!

This is a waste of time! Just calm down!

I can't!

Noriko shed her first tear. As she sobbed out her frustrations and fears, she felt more than pathetic. She’d rather be dead than break down like this.

‘God, what're we doing. There’s no fucking way we’re gonna find her.’ said a toughened voice in her head.

...Huh?

‘Nous ne pouvons pas abandonner! We all have to keep searching, at least until morning!’ said a passionate voice.

…Who was...?

‘Espero que Noriko esté bien. ¡Tal vez ella ya encontró las flores que dejé!’said a youthful voice.

…'The flowers I left behind'...?

Noriko pulled her face away from her lap, wide-eyed and horrified. She must be losing it if she was hearing Brian, Diantha, and Aden’s voices in her head.

In front of Noriko's feet was a picked, fully bloomed wild rose, illuminated by a faint purple glow. Bringing her hand towards her forehead, she noted how the light morphed its shape as she trailed her fingers around the gem embedded on her forehead.

…Was…this her strange quirk? If Brian’s gem glowed when he destroyed the altar…are the voices she’s hearing real? Is she reading the other’s minds right now? Telepathy perhaps?

She placed her hand on the tree behind her and pushed herself up. It’s a long shot, but if that’s the case, then the others can’t be too far…Aden said he left flowers behind, and that’s a flower right there, so are there more?

Sure enough — upon studying the ground — a trail of picked flowers led forwards. Sprinting, Noriko followed the trail. The more she followed it, the clearer and louder the voices in her head became.

Halfway through, Noriko stopped, took a moment to catch her breath, and wiped her eyes with her dangling sleeve. She knew it would be obvious that she had cried her eyes out. At the very least, she wanted to make it a little less obvious.

She continued following the trail. Eventually, she saw Diantha, Brian, and Aden in the distance. Although the trees blocked a lot of the view, Aden’s yellow rain poncho was distinctly seen along with Diantha’s brightly colored outfit.

Brian raised his hand up and halted the three’s journey. He turned to Noriko, and Diantha and Aden followed suit. She couldn’t discern the expressions on their faces, as she was so far away, but it was clear that they noticed her.

Strange, like Noriko had stated, she was many feet away. It was highly unlikely that Brian could have heard her?

Aden dashed towards Noriko; the two met halfway. He tackled her — almost knocking her to the ground — and squeezed his arms tight around her. “You are fine! You are fine!” He shouted in glee, separating from her and jumping up and down in excitement. He twirled to Diantha and Brian. “Look! Noriko is fine! Noriko is fine!”

Diantha almost embraced Noriko the moment she got close enough. Observing Noriko’s stiffness and uncomfortable frown, she backed away at the last second out of consideration. “Thank god you’re alright. We were worried we’d never see you again!” She let out a relieved sigh. Brian himself nodded in agreement with Diantha. You could tell he was also at ease with the small smile that spread through his lips.

Diantha leaned closer to Noriko, scanning her friend’s face. “...Are you ok? Your eyes are kinda puffy.” She concluded with a hint of worry.

“Oh, um. I am fine,” Noriko quickly replied. She rubbed her hand against her left cheek. “I must have passed by a plant I was mildly allergic to. Nothing to be concerned about.” She’d never tell them she broke down crying. Admitting that would be so…shameful.

“You look sad. Did you cry?”

Noriko glanced at Aden, at a face filled with curiosity and concern. Diantha and Brian now stared at her with a similarly troubled gaze.

“…No, I didn’t. I’m fine, just a bit…drained from the running.” She gave another excuse, keeping a calm façade.

Diantha frowned at Noriko, worry still apparent on her face. “…Noriko-“

“Anyways.” Noriko changed the subject, raising her voice in an addressing tone. “Since we are all reunited, we should resume our previous goal: searching for a river.” Brushing the dust off her black skirt, she glanced between the three of them. “We don’t necessarily have any idea where a river is, but we have to keep going until we find one.”

Diantha and Brian glanced at each other before giving Noriko a pleading gaze. “Noriko…I’m exhausted.” small bags crept under Brian’s eyes.

Diantha moaned in agreement. “Yeah, I’m pretty tired too. Can we turn in for the night?”

Noriko considered Diantha and Brian’s languid postures and Aden’s half-lidded yet lively eyes. “After the tiger incident, who knows what else is out there. If we stop for the night, we’d be a prime target for an attack. Not only that but if it started snowing while we were sleeping…” She glared at the ground for a moment, thinking of all the dangers they could face.

…However, noting her own apparent exhaustion, Noriko let out a sigh and nodded, accepting their request. “But we can take turns keeping watch. Yes, If you all want to rest for the night, I won’t object.”

Brian let out a small sigh of relief, Diantha fist-pumped in triumph, and Aden let out a small yawn, a tired smile on his face.

“Alright then! So does anyone know how to start a campfire?” Diantha asked after the short-lived celebration.

A long, awkward silence ensued. No one spoke up.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
659 Reviews


Points: 82352
Reviews: 659

Donate
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:35 am
RandomTalks wrote a review...



Hey!

RandomTalks here with a review!

This chapter does not have the action or suspense or the string of mysteries like in the previous parts, but for some reason this chapter was so much more interesting for me to read, mostly because it was character-driven. I like how we take a momentary pause from the plot to really breathe and take in all the characters and their different characteristics.

This chapter was mostly focused on Noriko as she tries to find her way back to the others. I have really liked Noriko from the start. She is brave and strong and really really clever and sharp minded. I liked her methodical approach to all situations even in the face of danger. She can compartmentalize her priorities and can keep herself together with an excellence that I think is remarkable for a teenager. I liked her conflicting thoughts in this chapter, how afraid she was and how strongly she refused to submit to that feeling. Her mantra "Don't think about it" interested me as well and I could very well sympathize with her when she finally let herself cry. Even after she found the others, she held herself tight and refused to let anyone recognize her small moment of weakness. I think that makes her more human than she realizes.

Now Brian. I am very much convinced that Brian is so much more than he shows himself to be. Sometimes I feel like he intentionally picked out those fights in the previous chapters. He hides himself behind a facade, however in little moments that can almost go unnoticed, we can see that he actually cares. I just wonder why he feels like he has to hide that side of himself from the world.

A very important revelation of this chapter was that Noriko can read minds. Now while that is a superbly cool super power to have, I wonder how this will fit in with the rest of her personality. I was also wondering how she hadn't known until then. With Brian and Diantha and even Aden, I understand. They did not realize their superpowers until the situation demanded it. But if Noriko can read minds then shouldn't she have been able to do that from the beginning? Clarify that for me a little.

Now on to some other details:

Not to mention since pretty much everywhere in this taiga looks exactly the same, how on earth is she even going to find the others?


If Brian’s gem glowed when he destroyed the alter…are the voices she’s hearing real? Is she reading the other’s minds right now? Telepathy perhaps?


She needs to find them. She won’t be hit with these intrusive thoughts as long as she has them to worry about.

These are just a few of the instances where you suddenly switch to the past tense. I noticed this in the other chapters as well, so I thought it was important to point them out. Such inconsistencies disturb the flow of the text.

Another great chapter. Looking forward to reading the others!

Keep writing and have a great day!




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:07 am
View Likes
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Heyyyyy!! Forever here for a review!

I felt like that there are some problems with the tense in this chapter. If I am not wrong, the thoughts too should be written in the same past tense as the story because you are writing it in third person. And if you want to keep the present tense, I think the thoughts need to be written in the 1st person.

So now, Noriko's superpower. She can read minds! I actually love this superpower among the others. And if I am not wrong, is she the first one to realize that these were the actions of those gems. At least, it appears so to me. One more thing related to this. I have already forgotten about whatever language all the people used and I would not be surprised if the same happens with the other readers. Now, they are thinking in different languages as they are in italics. So, it's better to specify the language over there and that Noriko understands it. That would be a quick re-glance. Subject to further confirmation it is but did Brian had the superpower of hearing to things from a distance or maybe he had the power to look at back.

Brian is not gonna show up his actual kind-hearted nature to anyone. From the context, it really appears that Brian is a good fellow from inside but the fact is often contradicted from outside. And that is what makes him a unique character among the others.

In total, there are 24 ellipses in the whole story. Try and decrease that number. It just seems inconsistent somewhere. Remove it from those places, especially when you are beginning a paragraph. It's always better to end a paragraph with those rather than beginning.

If I take Noriko's belief in account, they are in Russia. That was a pretty little revelation here but perhaps it's significant. They are staying there and something is definitely gonna happen in there. I wonder what but what's the case with the campfire? Have they forgotten that? I hope no. Or are they just not getting the things required? And this is what makes the readers want to read the next chapter. Short cliffhangers you have.

Hope it helps. I would be happy to know if the review helped u to the slightest and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will review the next chapter soon.

Keep Writing!

~Forever






I just want to say thank you for reviewing my chapters so far. It means a lot to me, really. I've just been busy, and a bit of a space-cadet, so I've continuously forgotten to comment on some of your replies. Sorry about that!

So far you've brought up a lot of points about the style of the story I feel I could improve upon. In the future, after I've finished this part of the series, I'll likely edit my older chapters and take the advice you and others have given me, and then later find a good editor to fix any glaring grammar issues once the entire series is complete.

Thank you once and again for the reviews!





You are welcome! I will get to the next chapters very soon.




You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace.
— Rod Serling