Motion

by Ljungtroll

Something which is in motion is, as previously stated, in motion. This thing, unless stopped by Another Thing, will remain in motion until the end of its existence. This thing, unless stopped by another thing, will remain in motion because it is persistent. Sometimes the thing may not want to remain in motion. Sometimes these Other Things try to stop it from being in motion. And sometimes the thing might not mind that. But then the thing looks back at how far it has come. It says to itself, “Why stop now what I’ve come all this way?” And the thing pushes past the Other Things and remains in motion.

Once upon a time there was a boy. This boy was constantly plagued by Other Things popping up in front of him, telling him that because of he was he couldn’t do what he wanted. The boy remained in motion. He wanted these Other Things to stop. He wanted them to go away, to leave him and his family--his people--alone. To let them all remain in motion.

This boy grew into a man. This man gave speeches, got ridiculed by the Other Things, and was nearly stopped by them on several occasions. But he kept pushing through. He talked to the Other Things. He asked them for a good reason for what they were doing. The Other Things could give none.

The man spoke of his dreams. He spoke of a world without Other Things to slow people down. He talked of other Other Things: love, equality, peace. And the Other Things began to listen.

But some of the Other Things were angry. They wanted to be the Other Things. They didn’t want other Other Things to stop them. They wanted to keep going. And one of these Other Things decided to do something about it. This Other Thing Stopped the man. Stopped with a capital “S”.

People all over the world grieved the man. They painted him as a martyr. But this man was simply doing what he believed was right. He was doing what thousands of people had tried to do for years. And the people who heard the man push past the Other Things decided they would keep going. They would remain in motion. So they did.

The Other Things slowly retreated into the shadows, emerging occasionally to remind people they were still there but subdued. And things got better. People remained in motion.

There were others like this man. People who pushed their way through the Other Things to keep going--to remain in motion. And there are more people every day. Perhaps, if we continue to dream like this man did, there will be a world where the Other Things only come out in the dark, where we who are in motion remain in motion, where we can easily overcome the Other Things and stand together at the end of Existence with our hands joined and our voices raised in song as we stare into the final Other Thing--the thing that does not try to stop us. And we will be content.

And we will, as a whole, Stop.

In memory of Martin Luther King, Jr. and all the magnificent things who remained in motion.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:49 am
Clairia says...

Great job ya crazy nut

This is great, not to mention powerful.

Just kidding about the crazy nut thing

Ljungtroll says...

Aw, thanks :D

Clairia says...

No problem I love ya

Elinor wrote a review...

Hi Raven,

Ellie here to give you a quick review. I love the concept of this piece. Before I saw note about the end I was able to discern that it was about Martin Luther King, which I think speaks for the effectiveness of this story. I love that it's simple, almost as of it could be a children's story. I first learned about Martin Luther King in school when I was very young, and it's always nice to learn about the kind of men and women that make a difference in this world.

I don't too much about physics, but it sounds like you're describing the "unstoppable force meets an immovable object" paradox. As I said, I like this idea conceptually, but I think you can strengthen your metaphor a little bit more. Have King as the unstoppable force. Racism as the immovable object. Referring to everything King was up against made this a little confusing. For instance.

But some of the Other Things were angry. They wanted to be the Other Things

He spoke of a world without Other Things to slow people down.

Because you don't really differentiate between racism as a structural concept, racist people and white people who joined the movement, it makes it sound like King wanted a world without white people, which obviously wasn't true.

For example, you could say something along the lines of "some people wanted the immovable object there. It made them feel strong. Others saw what the unstoppable force was trying to do."

Just things to think about. I really like your story and I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any further assistance. :)

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:56 am
Radrook says...

Nice tribute to a man who was peacefully in motion for a good cause and who set others in motion and who's motion is still in motion.

There was a lot of commotion due to hs motion and that comotion instigated more commotion in order to counteract the original commotion. Such commotion was not in harmony with the peacful man's orginal motion but worked against it. Yet the commotion claimed to be helping the original man's motion but the two motions could never be reconciled.

The man's motion was peaceful while the commotion that caimed to be helping his motion was violent and in that way the commotion was for all practical purposes an anti motion against the man's original motion claiming to perpetuate the man's motion but actually hindering it.

From heaven the man looked upon the commotion with disapproval and wondered how such a violent commotion could ever be understood to be in harmony with his motion while those involved in the commotion praised him to high heavens while rampaging and setting cities aflame.

The saintly, peaceful man was greatly annoyed. He would have liked to have been there to tell the commotioners that such a violent a commotion was not the motion that he had spoken about. But since he had died, he was required to stay silent and watch helplessly as the commotion claimed to be helping his motion while actually being completely contrary to what his motion had originally been all about.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:53 am
Radrook wrote a review...

Nice tribute to a man who was peafully in motion for a good cause and who set others in motion and who's motion is still in motion.

From heaven the man looked upon the commotion with dissaproval and wondered how such a violent commotion could ever be understood to be in harmony with his motion while those involved in the commotion praised him to high heavens while rampaging and setting cities aflame.

The saintly, peaceful was greatly annoyed. He would have liked to have been there to tell the commotioners that such a violent a commotion was not the motion that he had spoken about. But since he had died, he was required to stay silent and watch helplessly as the commotion claimed to be helping his motion while actually being completely contrary to what his motion had originally been all about.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
— Groucho Marx