z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Blurb for Assassination

by RainbowPowerPonies


Assassination

Blurb

Claire was a special girl with special abilities and needs. Her parents lied for her and said she just had weird hyper perception but it was much more than that. Much more....

                      


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4116 Reviews


Points: 257473
Reviews: 4116

Donate
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:19 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

Assassination

Blurb

Claire was a special girl with special abilities and needs. Her parents lied for her and said she just had weird hyper perception but it was much more than that. Much more....


Well, this is one of the shorter blurbs I've seen but those do tend to be quite tiny in some cases so, that's not that much of an issue. Now I am wondering why the word Assassination is crossed out there cause...uhh...well from what I can see, that's meant to be the title of this story but uhh...yeah, I can't even come up with a sufficiently credible sounding theory as to why that might be done there. Anyway moving away from that particular one and getting straight to analyzing what's happening over in the actual blurb itself, well at first glance, it does manage to launch a pretty decent hook there in just the two lines that we've got right there.

The first thing that stands out is that the main character here appears to have some sort of special ability which is always very interesting and I know I personally love anything to do with superpowers. And the fact that the parents themselves are also involved in everyone attempting to hide said special ability certainly adds a lot to the mystery here, certainly makes you question what exactly might be going on in this world.

And well, this is a pretty solid blurb that manages to do its job pretty well despite how small it is, the mystery of the crossed out word remains but otherwise yeah, I'd read this story. :D

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:51 am
View Likes
Willard wrote a review...



Hey, yo, RainbowPowerPonies! Strange here on this fantastic review day and I have a review for you!

This was a synopsis, as the others before me stated. It's a very very hard thing to critique, so this is going to be rather weird. I believe the idea of a blurb is to grab one's attention when looking at it. This didn't exactly grab my interest, but I must say it sounds like a neat set up to the book.

The first thing I would suggest is probably changing the title to grab more interest from the audience. You left the blurb at a cliffhanger. What could be this girl's power? What could she be doing? Those are questions that could be asked, but the title gave it away. This girl is going to be a kick butt assassin. Or killer. It leaves a lot less room for mystery. The next few things I'm going to say are merely suggestions.

Claire was a special girl with special abilities and needs.

You say special twice, which is a bit repetitive. Possibly use a synonym for special in either of those two places? I think that would bring some variation.

Her parents lied for her

Lied for her or lied to her? The latter would make much more sense, since I think Claire would lie for herself, plus discovery helps move the plot along. I hope to see this soon!

Good job, keep writing, and stay groovy!






To explain, lied for her IS the correct word I was going for, she was told at an early age but Claire has no intension of lying. Her parents tell her friend's parents the story and Claire doesn't think that she should spin another tale.
Thanks and sorry for the misconceptions,
RPP



User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:37 am
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hi RainbowPowerPonies!

As Nightcrawler has super kindly pointed out before me, this looks a lot like a synopsis one might see on the back cover of a novel rather than a piece of actual story. While it's okay to post things like this here, you may want to include much more content next time so we can really delve into how cool and interesting your story is.

Having a hook is key here, I'm not sure why you crossed out the word/title "Assassination" here, is it to indicate that this would not be part of the blurb? In any case, it's a little distracting! With your actual blurb, have a look at some of the ones used on novels you've enjoyed. They're typically a paragraph or two long and really keep your interest with some clues to what the text will be like. You may want to consider including this kind of information in your own blurb so that we can really tell what your novel may be about. I like your attempt at suspense by having a kind of cliff hanger at the end but it isn't very effective without a bit more information above it.

I'd love to see you start writing Assassination and actually post some of it. The YWS would love to devour your story and comment on the best (and sometimes worst) bits!

Thanks for taking the time to post,
Penguin.




User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 11196
Reviews: 254

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:12 am
View Likes
Sonder wrote a review...



Hey there, Rainbow! Nightcrawler here for a short review on this lovely Review Day! :)

Well, I'm going to be honest here. This is really more of a synopsis of a story than a short or a chapter. It is literally two full sentences that drift off and give the reader little to latch onto. I'm not sure if you were meaning to expand this into a novel or whatnot, but normally a blurb would be a very short short story.
I'm going to try to review what I can, but it's really so short that feedback is virtually impossible.

So first, the title. "Assassination" is an action word, so that makes me wonder if this novel idea of yours is going to circulate around that action, but not necessarily the person committing that action. I'm also confused as to why the title is crossed off at the top. Again, this feels much more like a synopsis or a quick jotting down of a story idea than what you listed it as: a chapter.

Onto the first sentence. You repeat special twice. I would suggest replacing one of those with a synonym. Again, if this were a synopsis that you'd put on the back of a book, sometimes being vague is good. This makes the reader ask things like: What abilities? Why is she special? Why would her parents lie?

However, if this is a chapter, you want to expand on it and make it clear what you are talking about. The reader can't read your mind, because only you know the story as the author.

Second sentence. Again, why would her parents lie? What do they know? Also, if we don't know what her powers are, the mention of "weird hyper perception" is very confusing.

And finally, the last part is not a sentence, but two words with an ellipses and an extra period (which isn't needed. Only three dots are needed). Again, this method is usually used in book synopses, so I'm not quite sure why this is listed as a chapter.

Overall, I would expand on this as a real chapter/ short story. If you expand these few sentences into multiple, soon you'd have a real story going on. Hope this helped. :)

Keep writing and being amazing!

~Night






Nightcrawler, to clear this up, yes this IS meant to go on the back of the book as a short intrigue into the story, I was told this is called a blurb. Thank you for your review :)
~RPP



User avatar
94 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 94

Donate
Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:24 pm
View Likes



Hey again!

So I'm guessing that this is another idea for a book? Well I would love to see future chapters! So far, this sounds like a wonderful beginning and inspiration for a really great book. Very foreboding and intriguing.

Keep on writing, Mephis





It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief