z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

​We only live -once- twice

by Raichu13


We only live once twice

Everyone has heard of Déjà vu, the feeling that one has lived through the present situation before. This feeling of ‘already seen’ is rarely experienced, yet all of us have certainly felt it in our lives. But have you heard of Master Zhuang’s Paradox? There is a famous story in the Zhuangzi (c. 3rd-century BCE), one of two foundational texts of Daoism, in fact, it is the most famous one, “The Butterfly Dream”:

“Once Zhuang Zhou dreamed he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn’t know he was Zhuang Zhou. Suddenly he woke up, and there he was, solid and unmistakable Zhuang Zhou. But he didn’t know if he were Zhuang Zhou who had dreamed he was a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuang Zhou. Between Zhuang Zhou and a butterfly, there must be some distinction! This is called the Transformation of Things.” (Watson 18)

Don’t take it as the movie scenes in which the protagonist is sad and is lamenting on something and wishes it all to be a dream and things would return to normal. No. It is a highly infrequent feeling which you might experience in instances similar to those in which you experience Déjà vu. The way you feel, “Wait! Has this happened before?”, in a similar way you suddenly feel like, “Wait! What if I am still in a dream? What if I am still a kid who is taking his noon nap sitting on the window seat of his school bus? And all of this world built around will blow out as the bus stops at my bus stop and I would wake up to see my mom waiting for me at the stop.”

Maybe these all appear to be a hoax, because how can you dream all of this in that short nap. And this is the point which makes me question, what was the longest time for which we slept? It takes me back to our origin. The time when you were in the womb, sleeping for approximately nine months. The longest you have ever slept. Can it be that we experienced the paradox in the fetus? Maybe in that entire period of sleep for nine months, you dreamt of all the transformations. Dreaming from the moment you were born and saw your mother for the first time till your death. Experiencing every pain, suffering, and happiness in that nine-month-long dream till the time you are pushed out of the womb. Maybe the moment you are being pushed out is the moment at which you dream the last part of your life, the dream of you dying. And as you are pulled out, you shut your eyes because you can’t imagine anything as just a second before you saw yourself dying. You cry out loud because you are dawned upon with the grief of your death. You deny believing it and in an attempt, you open your eyes, and as your eyelids unfold, you see your mom holding you, the very same scene that you saw in the womb when you began dreaming, your first déjà vu. You smile as you are elated that you have got a chance to live again.

As we grow up, we start forgetting everything we dreamt but our subconscious mind remembers it all. Probably, everything you face, every hardship, every loss, every pain is a bit less than what you saw in that dream as your subconscious mind is silently shaping you to do things a better way as compared to the way you would have originally done because it remembers every bit of that nine-month-long dream. The time we spend on lamenting and doubting ourselves is unnecessary because every pain is lesser and every pleasure is greater than what it would have been in the original life which we saw in the dream. And this is why every déjà vu is real because we have ‘already seen’ them in the dream when we lived once, and these are mere flashbacks in life when we are living again.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
99 Reviews


Points: 48
Reviews: 99

Donate
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:21 am
Tawsif wrote a review...



I like this piece very much. You certainly have a lot moref potential.

I Just had this one question in my mind: is this scientifically correct? I mean, the dejavu in womb you talked about, is that supported by facts? I'm just asking.

I really like this idea though. This was a ruminative and thought-provoking piece for me.




User avatar
278 Reviews


Points: 18564
Reviews: 278

Donate
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:39 pm
View Likes
LittleLee wrote a review...



Hi there, Raichu! I'm Lee, and I'm here to review your piece.
I think it's an essay, not a short story; you can change that by editing this work in your portfolio.
Before I start, please note that I do not want to offend you. If my review is too critical, I apologise; I'm only trying to help.
I'll begin without any further ado.

yet all of us have certainly felt it in our lives.

There's no need to say "certainly" here, in my opinion. The sentence works just fine.

one of two foundational texts of Daoism, in fact, it is the most famous one

After "Daoism", there is no need for a comma; it should be replaced with a full stop. Otherwise the line drags on and isn't grammatically sound.

Don’t take it as the movie scenes in which the protagonist is sad and is lamenting on something and wishes it all to be a dream and things would return to normal.

This can be worded better. It's too long and really stretches out what you want to say. use commas, split the sentence in two, and you'll be good.

The way you feel, “Wait! Has this happened before?”, in a similar way you suddenly feel like, “Wait! What if...

Let's try rewriting this. It isn't a good sentence.
"Similar to the way you think, "Wait! Has this happened before?", you suddenly think, "Wait! What if..."

And all of this world built around will blow out as the bus stops at my bus stop and I would wake up to see my mom waiting for me at the stop.”

"Bus stops at my bus stop" - Nope. This sounds more like a refrain in a poem. You don't need to say a bus stops in a bus stop for you to get off.
*built around me
*Will, not "would".

Maybe these all appear to be a hoax, because how can you dream all of this in that short nap.

Try redoing this: "Maybe these are all hoaxes, for how can you dream all of this in such a short nap?"
But here's the thing; it's proven that, dreams, on average, last for two to three seconds. It's perfectly possible to have a dream that seems to span hours or even days in such a short time. So that point isn't very valid.
And the whole idea about dreaming as a foetus... Well. It seems somewhat plausible, but considering that the cerebral cortex, which is responsible for most of what we think of as mental life - conscious experience, voluntary actions, thinking, remembering, and feeling - only develops at least two months into the gestation period, your argument becomes considerably weaker.

is real because we have ‘already seen’ them

The quotes should only be around "seen", there's no need to include the word "already".
There should be a comma after "real".

these are mere flashbacks in life when we are living again.

This was written nicely, but has scope for improvement. You could try writing it like this: "they are mere flashbacks of a life that we are living again."

Try using the word "memories" instead of flashbacks.


Overall, this was an interesting essay. It has room for improvement, but it is a good effort and I appreciate it. The topic was really nice too; that's why I read the whole thing. Your points are sound (although they can be looked at again) and your idea seems fairly well-written. Good job! Keep writing.

- Lee




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 55
Reviews: 34

Donate
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 am
View Likes
thepages wrote a review...



Nice piece you've got here, really realistic.
I have deja vu incidents quite often, n each time i wonder, is it me remembering or him(the me who might have done it first) remembering his day. All the same, the world is such a mysterious place that it makes our existance an even greater mystery.
And if this is us living a life guided by our subcaucious memory during formation, some of us must have had really terrible deaths...!
This is an A-class piece to me. Great.





"While we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."
— Albus Dumbledore