Home » Literary works » Art » Fantasy

Cora From Oliver's Travels

by RadicalCarrot

Author's Note: So this is just one of the characters that will be in my upcoming novel Oliver's Travels. Her name is Cora and she's obviously well, a fish person. If you read Oliver's Travels you'll get to know more about her (I don't really wanna spoil anything). I'm just sort of putting art on here right now for a few reasons. Feedback on things like character design, to allow you guys to know what my characters look like, and just because I want now what you guys think. So, yeah...that's really all. Please let me know if you have any questions, I realize this is very open ended. (PS. this is the first time I have ever created digital art so that is the reason the second picture looks absolutely terrible)

Cora:

Cora is based off a Showa Sanshoku Koi fish. Her species resides mostly in Asia and Polynesia in the Oliver's Travels universe (which takes place in the late 1700's). She is from China, however her and her brother traveled to what is now modern day Florida because of the opportunity that came with trade routes in the area. However she quickly realized the Florida (unlike China) was definitely not friendly to her species. Spanish conquistadores have made a trade out of capturing her species and other species such as mermaids and muttheads (creatures with the heads of animals and bodies of humans) and selling them across the ocean back to Europe. Her brother and she now reside in the colonies trying to  free as many of these species as possible. 

Her hook is made of whale bone and is her primary weapon. Her outfit allows her to swim easily while wearing clothes as well as run and fight. She has no shoes because there simply aren't shoes made for her species. She has fins on the side of her head and on her lags and arms. She does lack a real nose (her entire species does). I don't have a name for her species yet but they do come in various forms of sort of human fish hybrids. And yes, I realize that she looks a lot like like Undyne from Undertale.  I tried hard to make her a very different character from Undyne but it's easy to see how people could see this and automatically think that I just ripped her off and gave her a new name and claimed her as my own character.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:43 pm
DawnLight31 wrote a review...

hi, it's me dawn here for a review.

first when you say
"PS. this is the first time I have ever created digital art so that is the reason the second picture looks absolutely terrible."

Don't sell your self short its really good.its very detailed and looks like you spent a lot of time on this drawing. Its way beater than what I can do and I've been doing digital art for more than a year now. most artists do sell them selves short with there drawing, its normal to think your bad.

Also why is her hook made out of whale bone, it would lead you to believe she killed a whale.

last your character is very detailed in the story sense. you seem like you've spent a lot of time thinking about your character. also she doesn't t look to much like Undyne its just how fish people look the only real similarity is the hair.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:02 am
Dulcet wrote a review...

"this is the first time I have ever created digital art so that is the reason the second picture looks absolutely terrible"

It seems I should fix my definition of 'terrible' because both drawings, to me, look absolutely fantastic. Cora is very well drawn; don't sell yourself short, seriously. <3 I love your art style and the colours you've chosen.

I can't say I'm in a position to give criticisms on any piece of art, but I'll just put my thoughts about Cora down and give reviewing this piece a try, if you don't mind.

I don't see this as a rip-off of Undyne at all. I don't play Undertale, but from memory, the only similarities I see between Cora and Undyne are the head-fins, sharp teeth, and being a fish person. Otherwise, the way they dress and present themselves are very different. There's not much information about Cora's personality, but from the art I get the impression Cora is less... hardcore, I guess? than Undyne, haha.

Comparing/contrasting with Undyne aside, my first thought upon seeing this was: what's Cora's 'hair' made out of? The way the light reflects off it, it seems to be made out of some kind of skin/muscle membrane, but with the pins stuck in there it probably doesn't have touch receptors or anything.

The hook earrings look pretty cool at first, but thinking about it further, I actually wonder how they stay in. If they're actual fish hooks, they wouldn't be able to hang off her fins that way unless they defy the laws of physics. If they're actually decorative earrings, just ignore me, haha.

On the topic of earrings, does she actually have ears? I Googled it myself and, while fish have ears, most don't seem to have a very good sense of hearing. I suppose that's something worth thinking about when you're designing the species.

And on the topic of designing the species, the one thing I really want to comment on is Cora's hands and feet - they're not webbed. Obviously that's not a bad thing; I'm just used to seeing fictional-aquatic-humanoid species with webbed fingers and toes. I have to say though, webbed fingers/toes apparently DO help aquatic creatures swim faster, so it's probably worth considering.

Annnnd that's all I wanted to say! Ah, but one last thing; you may want to break up your description of Cora into multiple paragraphs. That's quite a big block of text you've got there, so putting in some space will make it less daunting to read and more presentable.

With all that said, I look forward to seeing the first chapter of Oliver's Travels, if you decide to put it here on YWS! The world you've built sounds pretty interesting, so I'd love to explore it.

Apologies if I was unhelpful or confusing - if you need to yell at me/discuss anything further, please PM me. Otherwise, keep up the great work, and I hope you have a lovely day! :)

Thank you for the helpful feedback! The earrings are just decorations. She does have webbed fingers, but I just sort of forgot to draw them. The ability to hear is something I've never considered before and I'm actually really glad that you brought it up. As for the hair, it is actual hair, and I admit the shines sort of do make a confusing look. It was merely something I wanted to try out but obviously I think it's created too much confusion over what her hair is made out of. I will try to break up that monstrous block of text by the way. Thanks for your review!

- RC :)

Steggy wrote a review...

Hello, Dino here for a short review!

Much like Kays said below, I haven't done an art review before but here goes nothing. I really like the colors you chose for Cora seeing as the light pink and blue kind of bounce off of each other. The red and gray scales kind of don't really match with the rest of the character, including her hair. I think you could do like a darker pink so it evens out the color of it all. Or maybe do something complimentary to it like green (though, now that I realize it, green wouldn't really match the character scheme, either).

Also, the white spots in her hair are that the gleam or something else? Because it kind of throws off the whole thing point of having hair unless, of course, it is not hair and just come more scales. Either way, it should be more visible for someone looking at to either it is hair or scales.

One thing I like about this is the eyes. Mainly because they are open and I think that kind of shows her character, even though you haven't mentioned much about her. I think, from just looking at Cora, I can tell she'll be a lovable character and I'm quite excited to read your novel! And the fins coming out of her hair is a nice touch, also.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Steggy

I added more info because I realized it might be helpful!

Kaylaa wrote a review...

Hi there RadicalCarrot! I don't review art very often and I'm not the most experienced, but I thought I'd go ahead and give this a go! Why not, right? That being said, without further ado, let's review.

I enjoyed the bold lines that are offered here. They give the character a strong outline that contains these numerous colors. The art style isn't my favorite for animation and the nose/mouth are a little weak compared to the bounciness and vibrant nature of the pink hair which I have to say that I loved. I can see this being a bit of a different take on a fish person and I even dare to say that she reminds me of Undyne from the game Undertale if you've ever played or heard of that.

I do have a couple and critiques and suggestions to make this character design stronger though and one of those is to add in the rest of her body. Doesn't have to be in this picture--this can be done elsewhere but I have to say that a character design can't be made at full potential if you're only drawing the head. Show us her clothes and the outfit she wears. Is there significance to her clothes? Do they serve a function? Does she even wear clothes? Do her clothes only exist for the sake of aesthetic or design?

Those are all questions that I have and even showing us what's going on from the neck down gives us an idea of her species. Is this a hybrid between a fish and a human or is there another reason for her humanoid features? Her being based off of a koi fish comes out in the art but I have a couple questions regarding her design--are those white wing-shaped objects on the side of her head fins? What is the red and black on her face? Is that naturally there or is the red blood? Give us more detail and more insight to her character to the design is what I have to say. Show us her personality through her design.

Those are my main suggestions but overall this is pretty well-drawn! Loved the hair and the art style's grown on me over the course of writing this review and I love the little touches with the red pins(?) in her hair because those are a cute add-on. I like what you've got so far, but expanding and giving us more and giving us reason to her design can make this and your character designs in general even stronger. Nice job.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Ok wait I do have a full body picture, I never expected people to like, actually be interested in this let me do a little bit more explanation seeing that people actually are interested .

whatchamacallit says...

Very cool! Just one comment ... interesting colours :D

Thank you! She's supposed to be a koi fish, that's really what inspired her color palette.

Ghosts, demons, and ghouls cannot scare the cat's underling.
— TheMulticoloredCyr