one thousand takes and still blind

by RMDott

backwards pictures

all the same

she's a slave to her feed

high on feedback

in reality

common ettiquite

secretly wanting

genuine love

but only getting

the same comments as last week. 

Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:28 pm
ghost223 wrote a review...

Indeed, the feeling of loss is here, whether it be in brain cells due to media, or in soul, due to drama. I believe that your understand of how people work has a deeper, darker meaning, even if it seems shallow on the surface. It seems to me that you've got a knack for writing about social issues, so try doing it again, I'd love to see more. In any case, the poem could use some work. Try extending it. I wanna hear more about how this character feels. Overall, not bad....6/10.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:55 am
Lumi wrote a review...

Ayyyyy, social commentary!

I'm a sucker for poetry that confronts the social media beast with a sling and stone, and for you to do so in a minimalist fashion is doubly brave, so you get applause from me for that; however, you also get critical acclaim for pulling off some fairly decent rhymes that didn't immediately turn me off to the concept!

The biggest critique here is the horrendous lack of flow. Or, as I'd describe it, Chop Suey. Your choice to break after roughly five syllables gives you the roughest road this side of the southern border, and that's a real shame for something that excels in so many areas. Heck, you could make this into a prose poem and still have better flow:

backwards pictures all the same. she's a slave to her feed, high on feedback. in reality? common etiquette, secretly wanting genuine love, but only getting the same comments as last week.

Punctuation added for syntactical sense for prosaic form. Unneeded in poetic stance. Misspelled 'etiquette' - not the end of the world.

Actually, honing in on that line, I'm unsure it's needed among the rest. It doesn't add anything unless you're characterizing the girl, and if you're trying to do that, you're missing a ton of opportunity for a really fleshed-out character. But que cera cera.

This is nice. You did well. I hope my notes help.
Ty

I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom