How Was Your Day? - Chapter 28.1

by Que

Note: I mention suicide, but pretty much only the word. Just a little warning!

Finnley opened the door, fully expecting to see the police. Instead, he saw a single police officer and a familiar woman. Dr. Lark. Finnley thought he’d left her behind when he left California. He thought that when she sent him a message about his blog and he didn’t respond, she would give up. She did not.

Finnley’s pulse raced at the sight of the therapist, her motherly concern fixed in place. She wasn’t a terrible person, just an unwanted one. He didn’t like her, and he didn’t appreciate that she had decided to track him down. She had tried to help, did not succeed, and Finnley was better off without her. Still, for the sake of the officer with her, he forced a smile to his face. Made his hand hang loose at his side.

“I’m Officer Jensen,” the policeman introduced himself. Finnley watched him, looking for a sign of suspicion, of knowing what really happened with Mia in the forest. The man looked relaxed, but Finnley could not calm down. Somewhere out there, he was sure, there had to be some other magician.

“Hello,” he replied reflexively. “Would you like to come in?” It seemed like the appropriate thing to say, but Finnley did not want the officer to come in. Did not want Dr. Lark to come in with him.

“No, no,” the policeman reassured him. “I just wanted to check in here. I heard you helped to find Mia Hart after she went missing, and I know she’s not in a great shape. You doin’ alright, kid?”

The idea that the officer didn’t want to question Finnley at all startled him, but he only blinked in response. He looked at Officer Jensen, but Dr. Lark was smiling her false sympathy smile in the corner of his view, and Finnley didn’t need her catching on to anything he was feeling. “Yeah… yeah, I’m doing a little better. It was hard to see her like that. A little bit scary, you know?”

It wasn’t a lie, but it was a big understatement. Still, the policeman seemed fine with it, nodded along with it. “Yes, well. No kid should have to deal with that. Anyway, this young lady stopped by the station a little bit ago and I thought I’d drop her off since I was on my way here. It’s good someone’s keeping up with you back from your old town.”

Finnley had no choice now except to look at Dr. Lark. Her smile stretched a bit wider. “It’s so good to see you again, Finnley,” she said, her voice disgustingly saccharine. Finnley stared. He had no instinctive, polite words for her. “I was so worried when you didn’t respond to my message, and when you stopped using your blog. Why was that?”

Finnley could only stare at the woman’s bright blue eyes. Her eyes had always drawn him in back in California. They were blue like ice, and even though she seemed to care, her eyes would always tell him the truth. Only the policeman clearing his throat pulled him back to the situation at hand.

“I’ll just be going, then,” Officer Jensen said. He held out a hand, and Finnley numbly shook it. His arm felt limp in the officer’s strong grip. “I trust you’ll be back on your feet in no time. Nice talking with you, Finnley Bale.” The officer turned and walked back to his car, and suddenly Finnley didn’t want him to go.

As the police car’s door closed, Dr. Lark breezed past Finnley into his home. Jaw clenching, he closed the front door sharply behind him and leaned against it for strength as he turned to face his therapist. She seated herself at the dining room table as if she had always belonged there, perfect white button-down shirt and little suitcase and all.

Why are you here? Finnley longed to ask, but he when he opened his mouth, he couldn’t make his voice work.

“We agreed that you would keep writing your blog posts, Finnley,” Dr. Lark said. She looked up at him from the table, her eyes full of meaningless concern. “Even when you wrote them, you didn’t talk about yourself at all. Doing that doesn’t help, you know.”

“I didn’t want the world to know.” In his annoyance, Finnley found the strength to snap out a reply. Dr. Lark tutted, and his old agitation about her attempts at being motherly returned. He didn’t need a mother — he had one. He didn’t need her as a therapist either. Things were better now.

“Maybe you should’ve gone with a journal instead,” she gently chided him. Her voice was so soft, and it was that softness, that gentleness that made him want to scream. “Or you could talk with me about it. It still bothers you, doesn’t it? Your sister’s suicide?”

Finnley’s fists clenched, fingernails biting into palms, knuckles as white as his face felt. He continued to stand against the door, a tiny bit of power to his position. Dr. Lark was the only one who called it a suicide, flat-out, in that factual voice. Every time, even now, it made his blood boil. His sister deserved more than that.

“Why are you here?” Finnley finally forced out, the words hissing between his clenched teeth. Again, Dr. Lark looked him in the eye, froze him to the spot. Even more than her eyes, her next words turned his heart cold.

“Your mother called me up, asked me to come here. She’s been worried about you.” His mother. Finnley’s mind reeled, his jaw fell slack. His own mother had called Dr. Lark to come to his home. When he was finally starting to feel okay. When he thought he was finally getting over Allie’s death. His mother, who had always left it up to the therapist to talk to him about things that had happened to their family. His mother, who had always acted like it wasn’t as downright awful as it was, who made him feel like he should do the same. His mother told him to be open about the magic, about his friends. But she couldn’t confront him about his own sister’s death. It was her daughter, but she refused to get involved.

Finnley couldn’t think about this. Couldn’t stand to be in this room with this icy woman for a second longer. He yanked on the handle behind him, pulled the door open, and ran out. 

Note: I haven't done research yet to figure out if Finnley would really have a therapist or if she's more like a counselor or whatnot, so it's a bit variable at this point in time. Also, this might be excessive anger for Finnley? I don't know if it's really all necessary or realistic, so if you have thoughts on that, it would be nice. 

Panikos wrote a review...

Hiya, Querencia. Sorry it's taken me a while to get to this. The reviewing fatigue has been kicking in a bit lately.

Dr. Lark. Finnley thought he’d left her behind when he left California. He thought that when she sent him a message about his blog and he didn’t respond, she would give up. She had not.

Is Finnley really so naive as to think she'd just let it slide? Maybe he'd hope she'd give up, but this reads like he actually expected her to. I thought he'd just been trying to ignore the whole issue and hadn't been thinking about it at all.

Finnley’s pulse raced at the sight of the therapist

I feel like 'her' would be better than 'the therapist' here, given that just a moment ago you were referring to her with pronouns. There's something odd about shifting straight from pronouns to epithets (I hope I'm using the right term there).

She had tried to help, had not succeeded, and Finnley was better off without her.

Your tenses are a bit slippy in this chapter.

“I’m Officer Jensen,” the policeman introduced himself.

It's obvious from the dialogue that he's introducing himself. Just use 'said'.

Side note: why doesn't he say anything other than this? He introduces himself, but doesn't tell Finnley why he's there, nor does he ask to come in. It makes for very awkward dialogue. If you knock on the door of someone who isn't expecting you, one of the first things you say is why you're there.

“I was so worried when you didn’t respond to my message, and when you stopped using your blog. Why was that?”

I don't think any self-respecting therapist would open this conversation up in front of a stranger. Finnley's not going to want to answer it in front of a random police officer, is he?

They were blue like ice

Hmmm, bit of a cliché comparison.

“Or you could talk with me about it. It still bothers you, doesn’t it? Your sister’s suicide?”

Ahh, so we finally know how Allie died. That...cannot be easy for Finnley to deal with. Or his mum.

Putting on my critiquing hat, however, I think this reveal is too deliberately expository. I don't feel like she'd just come straight out with it, even if she's insensitive. Just 'it still bothers you, doesn't it?' would work by itself (even though it's a dumb thing for her to say - of course it still bothers him). Something like 'I know you're still grieving' would work as well.

That's all for specific points. I quite like the information we get at the end, about how Mrs Bale is so completely incapable of talking about Allie's death. It's an interesting and contradictory character flaw - she's able to speak to Finnley about all but the one thing he really, truly needs to talk about. Finnley's clearly got a lot of resentment about that, buried deep so that he doesn't have to think about it. Something tells me it's going to burst out eventually.

Something I think you manage well in this chapter is the bias from Finnley's POV. I can't figure out whether Dr Lark is really an insensitive therapist or whether Finnley's just determined to see her that way. I'd much prefer the latter, as I think that's the more interesting interpretation - and I don't think a therapist would travel all that distance if they truly didn't care. It could be interesting if it was a bit of mix. Dr Lark could not be the best therapist in the world, but Finnley could still be using her inadequacies as an excuse to not try to get better.

As far as things to work on, I feel like some of Dr Lark's dialogue is a bit shaky. Even if she's not a great therapist, she should know not to put Finnley on the spot by quizzing him in front of a stranger. Speaking of the stranger, what was the point of the police officer? He didn't really add anything. If it had just been Dr Lark at the door, I don't think the chapter would've suffered at all.

So maybe it can be streamlined. As far as Finnley's anger goes, I don't personally have an issue with it, as long as you plan to stick with the theme of him avoiding his grief. That's the strongest thread of character development I've seen in the story so far, and it's something I particularly want to see addressed. I want to see him realise that magic and monsters and friends from beyond the void aren't going to make his real problems go away, not in the long run.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:14 pm

Okay, so first of all I'm glad you mentioned that Finn's mom called Dr. Lark in, because at first I was like "Whoa, this is bizarre that his therapist like followed them halfway across the country to 'see how he's doing,' that's actually kind of creepy, what even gives her the right," but since his mom called it makes more sense. I trusted you enough as the storyteller to make it make sense, and you did.

On that note, re: your query at the end, honestly I think it depends on what his mom wants and can afford. I associate counselors more with schools, especially for teens, so if she's an independent person and also has the power to actually physically come see him rather than calling or emailing at this point, therapist makes more sense to me. Either one probably technically works, but I think therapist works better. Like I said, as far as which he's more likely to have, I think it just depends on his mom's wishes and finances.

I didn't think it was Finnley's anger that was out of place so much as Dr. Lark suddenly showing up and having these icy eyes and just ignoring his wishes and kind of pushing him in a non-therapy setting. For one thing, she's been gone for so long that I kind of forgot about her - I know she hasn't been physically here, but maybe further comments on his blog (even when he's not writing on it, which would also show us how pushy she is before she gets here) would help. And then it just struck me as oddly unprofessional, the way she approaches him when they're not even at a therapy session right now. Which again might be helped just if we see more of her beforehand, enough for us to get this side of her personality. That could even be things as simple as Finnley thinking how relieved he is to get away from her when they move, like that's maybe the only bright spot for him at first.

Wow, did we know his sister committed suicide??? I had kind of assumed she died in some accident. I do kind of like the way it comes out in this chapter, where Finn so avoids thinking about it that we didn't even know how she died but had drawn our own conclusions, but then the therapist just puts it out there so callously.

Que says...

YES! I think you're right about that. It's really because of your comment on the last chapter no believing it was the police XD and I thought it was time to bring the therapist to light and get things moving on Finnley's sister. I think that I'll drop more hints in there (I just sort of forgot about this bit of plot for a while), and I think then I'll tone Dr. Lark down a bit. I was just worried that Finnley's reaction wouldn't be as justified if Dr. Lark didn't seem bad? But maybe I can make it clear that the therapist is just trying to help but Finnley doesn't need her morther-ness or bringing up his sister's death again?
Also yeah I tried to keep the suicide thing down, like Finnley doesn't even think it to himself. Maybe I can bring it up in a bit more of a gentle way, though.

BluesClues says...

I mean, I kind of liked the callous way it came up, to be honest. Dr. Lark can probably seem more bad if we get hints throughout the story that she wasn't a great therapist (but Finn probably wouldn't complain to his mom because he doesn't want to burden her, I can see that) and/or if he ends up in a "real" therapy session with her here instead of her just coming to the house and pushing at him this way when he's just seeing her for the first time in a while.

EverLight wrote a review...

Feel free to ignore any of my advice, none of it is intended to degrade you or your story. Feel free to cast aside any advice that doesn't seem right that said . . .
What I liked
1. I liked it when you used the word hissing, that was cool.
2. Flow & Style
You did a good job in this area for sure. Nothing I can touch on here.
3. Dilalogue & Character develoupment
One thing though. Your characters seem dull, not in a bad way. It just seemed that there was no personality to them, no emotion. I would reccomend describing what they feel or at least show us what they are thinking. As for your Dialogue they all seemed to talk in the same kind of way. Maybe consider giving them more voice?
4. Repeating & Variation
You mention again Dr Lark's ice blue eyes not that it's anything wrong, but maybe you could tell us something more about Lark's eyes or something else about her. Also I think you could use a little more variation in your sentences. No adjectives but something else.
5. Plot & Action
Note: This is entirley just me you can ignore this completly-You once told me about the importance of action in a chapter, and well I think there is just a dialogue in this chapter and nothing more. Maybe you should consider adding more events to this chapter.
6. Encouragement & Overall
Great job without alot of adjectives either. You certaintly suceeded in making your character intersting if not vibrant. Good job.
Oh and count yourself lucky, you just got my longest reiew yet. Keep up the good work.

Que says...

Thank you for the review!
To be perfectly honest, Finnley has been a laid-back character to the point of hardly getting involved in anything, so this is probably pretty violent for him. Probably. XD And this is my first time introducing the police officer and therapist into the story, and while the police officer won't be coming back, it's good to know that Dr. Lark might need some more development. :) Action vs. dialogue vs. description is also a really hard balance for me to strike, so it's nice to know what I need some more of. Thank you for taking the time to review the 28th chapter of a crazy novel!!

EverLight says...

Sure

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach.
— Winston Churchill