How Was Your Day? - Chapter 24.2

by Que

He leaped onto the motorcycle behind Monica, flinging his arms around her waist as she revved the engine and took off.

“Wait!” Finnley yelled frantically. “We’ve got to get to my mom and Mia! We can’t just leave them.” He looked left and right, searching the strange woods for his mother’s familiar face.

Monica looked behind them just once, purposefully, and what she saw made her mouth clamp into a hard line. As she turned around again and sped faster, Finnley looked where she had just a second ago and his heart went cold. The horse was chasing them, hooves thudding against the earth in time with Finnley’s scattered heartbeat. Its eyes were burning with a bright, inhuman light, and its nostrils were flared. As if it had caught their scent.

“We can’t lead it right to them,” Monica called to Finnley over the noise of the engine. He looked forward again, where the prospects were equally frightening. They were riding downhill at breakneck speed — a speed the horse was somehow keeping up with — and barely dodging the pine trees. Finnley’s stomach flipped as Monica swerved around a particularly tight corner.

“Do we have a plan?” Though he shouted, the wind ripped the words from his mouth and he had to repeat himself a few times for Monica to hear. When she shook her head, Finnley’s grip on her waist tightened. They had nothing, but they needed something if they were going to help his mother and Mia escape.

Risking another look back, Finnley saw the demonic horse gaining on them. It opened its mighty maw and released a jet of flame that was blue at the core. It didn’t reach them, instead lighting several trees on fire, but Finnley could see the shimmering wave of heat, could feel it hit his exposed neck and face. He pulled up the neck of his sweatshirt to ward off the heat, though his eyes still watered.

When Monica glanced back again, Finnley saw fear in his eyes, the flat-out terror he was certain showed up in his own eyes. The word “plan” flitted through his brain, along with a bunch of meaningless images from old detective shows or conversations with Mia. He couldn’t organize his scattered, panicked thoughts enough to formulate an actual plan.

Monica reached a hand back and held it against his forehead. Her skin was cool — of course the heat wouldn’t be affecting her the same way. He closed his eyes, and the cold radiating from her hand seemed to be saying “Calm. Breathe.” Finnley did his best, but his breath kept snagging on the smoke filled air. Still, he was able to call to mind a map he had seen of the area.

“Ravine,” he gasped. It was more like choking, and he had to spit the words out. “Isn’t there a ravine somewhere around here?” He didn’t know what good it would do, but it sounded more promising than any other idea he’d had. “I think it’s more… south?” It was a guess, and they both knew it, but Monica turned south anyway. They had no more choices.

Finnley could feel how tense Monica was, something that the situation didn’t seem to call for if you were already dead. But now was not the time for questioning. His stomach practically dropped out as they started descending more rapidly.

“I think you were right!” Monica yelled back at him, and she leaned forward over the handlebars. Finnley heard the crackling of flames devouring the trees behind him and knew that the horse had shot flames again — closer this time. It made a shrill whinnying sound which more closely resembled a scream. Finnley shuddered involuntarily and pulled closer to Monica.

Finnley could just see it now, through the trees. The ravine. It dropped off a little ways ahead, but Monica didn’t slow down. Finnley hollered her name. “Monica! Stop! You need to stop now!” She was deaf to his cries, and just as he closed his eyes and braced himself for the fall, she jerked the motorcycle to the side in a vicious turn so tight Finnley’s leg nearly brushed the ground.

As the motorcycle finally slowed, Finnley, still clutching his chest above his heart and breathing as heavily as if he had run the distance, checked behind them again. There was no sign of the horse. Monica, now going at a normal speed, drove the motorcycle over to where they’d skidded to the side. The burning hoofprints looked like they went right off the edge.

They pulled to a stop, though the adrenaline was still pumping through Finnley’s veins almost as hotly as the horse’s fire. “I don’t see anything down there,” he said, peering over the edge. “Wait — there’s a fire. I can’t make out the horse…”

“We need to go, take advantage of this,” Monica instructed him.

“Go where? Find my mother?” Now that the immediate danger was gone, Finnley’s clarity of mind had completely broken down. He was surprised he could still form coherent sentences.

Monica shook her head, violet dyed hair flying free of its ponytail. “To the town. To get Uncle Fred and Henry. Anyone who can help.” She squeezed his hand gently, though he hardly acknowledged it. Then she started the motorcycle again and headed on through the woods at a less break-neck speed. Finnley wiped the sweat from his face, trying to stay focused on the situation. He was so spent, though, and his chest ached in a way that didn’t feel at all normal.

Finally, the light seemed to filter back into the forest, just a little at first, but then more and more after that. As the darkness of the forest lifted, so did the darkness on Finnley’s heart. His mind relaxed, just a slight bit.

Then they broke through the trees, and Monica was tearing through the streets of town — it was still mid afternoon, and the sheer normalcy of it all was a shock to Finnley’s system. Monica skidded to a stop right outside the antique shop, and Finnley wasted no time in hopping off and bolting for the door, though his legs didn’t quite want to cooperate. Monica grabbed his arm and together they made it, opening the door to the shop only to find Mr. Vaughn, looking grim.

He took one look at them and it was as if he’d known everything that had happened. “Where is it?” he asked sharply, but it was as if the sharpness was not really intended for them.

“We lost it at the ravine,” Finnley said, his voice scratchy and horse. He cleared his throat for a moment. “My — my mom, she’s still out there with Mia —”

“I’ll handle it.” Mr. Vaughn’s voice was strict and sure, and though his hair was still a shade of silver, the weight of age had somehow fallen from his body. “Henry, you stay here and take care of them. I’ll be back within three hours. Do not let them leave. They’re probably in shock.”

Finnley was quite certain that he was in shock, and just nodded along to Mr. Vaughn’s words as he lifted something long and heavy from the table. “And call up Freddy. Let him know that I’ll be needing him.”

Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Querencia. Pan sliding in for another review.

“Wait!” Finnley yelled frantically.

It's already plenty obvious that he's frantic.

hey were riding downhill at breakneck speed — a speed the horse was somehow keeping up with — and barely dodging the pine trees. Finnley’s stomach flipped as Monica swerved around a particularly tight corner.

I don't really get a sense of motion in this description. Presumably they're swerving and the hot wind is in their faces and they can feel the bike juddering as it rockets over pebbles and roots and suchlike, but you don't really get into the specifics of that. It feels quite removed.

Though he shouted, the wind ripped the words from his mouth

This is better.

When Monica glanced back again, Finnley saw fear in her eyes, the flat-out terror he was certain showed up in his own eyes.

It was a guess, and they both knew it, but Monica turned south anyway.

I mean, props to these kids for being able to tell which way is south. I wouldn't have a clue about that kind of thing.

Finnley hollered her name. “Monica! Stop! You need to stop now!” She was deaf to his cries

1) I don't think you need to say that he hollered her name. You could just let the dialogue speak for itself.

2) Rather than going for the more tell-y 'she was deaf to his cries', it might be an idea to actually describe what she does - which is ignore him, I presume, and keep driving towards the edge.

“We lost it at the ravine,” Finnley said, his voice scratchy and hoarse.

That's all for specifics. This is a pretty good second half to the chapter. I think you handled the chase scene well, for the most part, though the description is still a bit lacking. I also want to feel like the horse has a point, if you catch my drift. Most of the adversaries that your characters have faced so far have had that same air about them. They're kind of only there to create conflict, not for a particular plot-advancing reason. I suppose that all ties back into what I mentioned in my previous review about there being a wider cause behind Mia's nightmares.

Generally speaking, I kind of wish that Finnley and Mia had their own personal goals. It's maybe something to think about in the second draft. I feel like if I had a better sense of what both of them wanted - really wanted - and what they were working towards, the conflict would feel like it had more purpose. Because I don't know what the plot is leading up to, I don't always get the sense of the plot progressing. Conflict occurs, but it isn't tied together; I don't feel like resolving one issue leads to another, then to another, then to another, in a nice chain of drama.

Still, there are loads of positives too. Monica was kickass in this chapter, and I think she dealt with the horse really well. It's a good cliffhanger to leave it on with them not knowing what happened to Mia and Mrs Bale - though I do think that by putting the task of finding them into Mr Vaughn's hands, Finnley becomes more passive. It might have been more exciting if it had fallen to him to find them. Imagine if conjuring the motorcycle used up so much of Monica's energy that she'd disappeared the moment she drove the horse off the cliff, leaving Finnley alone in the woods, tasked with finding Mia and his mother himself...

Also: Freddy?? That's hecking adorable.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Freddy? Okay am I the only person losing my mind over the fact that he says "Freddy" instead of "Fred" like was Fred one of his students too or??? A familiar nickname, what is this???

(Okay, I know there were other things in that chapter I probably could have gotten excited about, but...that's the one I chose.)

You did a better job in this chapter with the description and tension. It feels like you really paid attention and tried to weave more description into this chapter, and it definitely makes a difference.

So now I think the issue is that Finnley's thoughts don't feel as scattered as I think you intended, and overall the chapter isn't as scattered as it could be, which makes it less terrifying. Here's an example of what I mean.

“We’ve got to get to my mom and Mia! We can’t just leave them.” He looked left and right, searching the strange woods for his mother’s familiar face...

“Do we have a plan?”

It's fine that Finn yells about going back for mom and Mia - of course he would, that's primarily who he's scared for just now. But Monica telling him why they can't right now took me out of the moment - plenty of time to explain later, but right now she should be focused on escaping, and later on, when they're safe and Finnley's angry and scared and like "why did we just abandon them???" she can explain. Then, Finnley asking "do we have a plan" made him feel more level-headed than you described him.

This part felt more true.

It dropped off a little ways ahead, but Monica didn’t slow down. Finnley hollered her name. “Monica! Stop! You need to stop now!” She was deaf to his cries, and just as he closed his eyes and braced himself for the fall, she jerked the motorcycle to the side in a vicious turn so tight Finnley’s leg nearly brushed the ground.

There, we see Finn freaking out and Monica single-mindedly pursuing a plan without breaking concentration to tell him what it is. Being outside the story and level-headed and not frightened for my life, I was pretty sure I knew what she had in mind - but even if I didn't, it becomes apparent when they see the hoofprints going over the edge of the ravine.

I also liked this part.

The word “plan” flitted through his brain, along with a bunch of meaningless images from old detective shows or conversations with Mia. He couldn’t organize his scattered, panicked thoughts enough to formulate an actual plan.

“Ravine,” he gasped. It was more like choking, and he had to spit the words out. “Isn’t there a ravine somewhere around here?” He didn’t know what good it would do, but it sounded more promising than any other idea he’d had. “I think it’s more… south?”

I like Monica trying to calm him down but also being like "look, I can't do much for you just now, I'm busy driving a motorcycle," and I like the more panicked feeling from Finn. I do feel like it could use some fleshing out, but it's a good start. In future drafts, to help solidify this idea that Finn's freaking out and his brain is all over the place, you could show us more specifics - instead of saying "images from old detective shows," for example, give us a flash of the kind of image you mean. The moment they find a clue? The moment they confront the killer? There are a lot of different images you can mean, and I don't know which right now.

Que says...

Okay honesty here: I don't have any plot past this point planned out. It's like a leap into the great unknown. Yikes. The last thing I have in my notes is "Monica and Finn going down the mountain on a motorcycle" uhh so thanks for your review, I am just going to frantically try and figure out the future of this novel!! I'm glad the description went a bit better, though.

BluesClues says...

I don't have any plot past this point planned out. It's like a leap into the great unknown.

WELCOME, FRIEND. This is literally me at this point. I mean, I do have a general plan, up to a point, but no specifics, and then there are like three different directions I could take (or maybe I could somehow take all three???) and I also have no plan. Like I've actually already reached that point multiple times, and then I panic and scramble and try to buy time until I've illuminated at least the next few steps for myself.

The next chapter for you at least could be everyone reunited and worrying about Mia - if you get that written quick this week, that could buy you at least the rest of the week to do some planning and figure out your next steps! I might open up a WFP on Friday night, too, for a casual write-in? So if you want to stop in, we could brainstorm together. Sometimes it helps to bounce ideas off someone else.

(Plus you can always ask all the readers where ~they~ think the story is headed next and then steal their ideas.) which I have definitely not done even once

Que says...

That sounds like a good idea. It's pretty much what I was going to do with the next chapter anyway, haha. :) And if you want to PM me where you think this is going or something, that would be wonderful. ;) I mean, if you have time. No pressure. And a WFP sounds really good as well. I just need to brainstorm a lot bit.

BluesClues says...

Awesome :) Poke me later so I remember to PM you tonight, although I admit my ideas about your story are not terribly specific.

“I don't talk things, sir. I talk the meaning of things.”
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451