z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Pine Tree Miracle

by Pretzelstick


A/N :Inspired by the pine trees outside my window


A tiny, lonely girl watched a sapling grow,

From a pine cone,

Day after day she saw

The miracle of the pine tree.

----------------------------------

Up it went, higher and higher,

Needles sharpened, bark became rough.

Branches gave way into many directions,

And the cycle goes back to the origin once again.

---------------------------------------------------------

Little baby pine cones appear,

Snuggled in the depth of the branches

Crushing the needles with the heel of her foot,

She smells the scent and aroma of pines.

----------------------------------------------------------

So big and majestic

Took so long to grow

And now the grandmother sits under its shade,  

and looks up at the pine tree miracle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 3874
Reviews: 158

Donate
Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:48 pm
Corncob wrote a review...



Hello pretz! is that nickname cool with you As you know, I am trying to push myself to review more, so here ya go.
I can sense how awesome it is to see these pine trees outside your window and witness their growth, but I felt like I wasn't getting the whole awesome-ness through this poem. I'm sure you've heard the saying "show, don't tell", and I feel like that really, really applies here. Your vocabulary was nice--"majestic, aroma", but for this poem, the vocab didn't really do much for me. I really liked some of these lines ("Needles sharpened, bark became rough." "Little baby pine cones appear,--Snuggled in the depth of the branches") because they contained imagery and personification.
The other lines felt dull to me. If you expanded on the imagery and uniquely and originally described the pine tree's growth and how the girl grows up with the tree, it would definitely improve the overall poem.
You begin the poem by describing the watching girl as lonely. Why is she lonely and how does she find solace in the tree? I would love to see a sort of full circle thing here; girl is lonely and the tree helps her be less lonely by providing a branch for a tire swing or a getaway to climb to where she can be alone and peaceful; something of some significance. As she grows up, she uses it for something else, and at the end, as a grandmother, she returns to sit under its shade. I didn’t feel like the whole growing up with the tree thing was portrayed.

From a pine cone,
Day after day she saw
The miracle of the pine tree.


Ok, so you start off by letting us know the pine tree is going to transform in this stunningly beautiful way and that you are going to describe this stunningly beautiful transition. The second line of the poem didn’t really do much for me; it was a flat, basic line, and in poetry, every line and word choice is important, as I’m sure you know. Maybe something like “its roots in a pine cone” or “winding its way to the sky/through the dirt” would be better and provide a more interesting image.

Branches gave way into many directions,


“Gave way” is really a strange word(s) choice here. It makes it seem like the branches didn’t want to grow but finally “gave way” for some reason or another. I would suggest changing it to “stretched in many directions” or something of the like.

Crushing the needles with the heel of her foot,
She smells the scent and aroma of pines.


The poem suddenly switches from the description of the tree growing to the girl who was mentioned in the beginning. It’s an abrupt transition and confusing for the reader.

What I really would like to see in this poem is how the tree relates to the girl and more imagery.
The only really touching relationship I saw between the girl and the tree was at the end when, as a grandmother, she sat under it for shade. I would love to see you add onto how the tree eases the girl’s loneliness when she is little, and continues to help and provide her with safety, hope, whatever as she grows older. The woman aging is not shown at all throughout the poem--she just suddenly is a grandmother at the end, from being a little girl at the beginning.
Really delve deep into original, imaginable descriptions of the tree as well.
So big and majestic
Took so long to grow


This is just saying what happened and doesn’t add anything to the poem. Exercise the wonderful imagery you have in other lines! That way, the miracle of the pine tree will actually seem like that: an awesome, huge, beautiful miracle.

Overall rating: 5.5/10
Keep writing!
+1
P.S. Let me know if I was too harsh--as always, this is just constructive criticism and not criticism of you as a writer or person. Hope this is helpful!




User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:37 am
Willard wrote a review...



Hey, yo, pretzelsing! Strange here and I have a review for you!
To be honest, I didn't find anything really special here. It didn't have that force that I would expect from most poems. Yes, it may have a happy message that can make you feel but it all depends on delivery. I felt that this didn't have a strong delivery. It felt like a weak showcase of explaining and false hopes. Sure, it may have a "good" story, but there were some technical problems also. First off:

A tiny, lonely girl watched a sapling grow,

From a pine cone,

Replace that comma on the second line with a period, considering how the other two lines follow it. It is a sentence, so end it like a sentence. Please and thanks.

Crushing the needles with the heel of her foot,

She smells the scent and aroma of pines.

I do not like the second line for one particular word. Aroma. Yes, considering the theme of vocabulary going on in this poem, this word felt out of place. Aroma is a fancy word, don't get me wrong, but it felt as it didn't belong. Possibly a simpler substitution would make things fit.

Overall, I enjoyed the message, but not how it was portrayed. I understand how the story would make sense, but it brought nothing new to the table. It was simple, like the rest of the poems.

Keep writing and stay groovy!




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 18
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:01 am
Lupin wrote a review...



Hey pretzelsing (awesome name by the way)! Lupin here. This was super adorable! I never thought that the feels would be released over a tree, but they were :3 This was really enjoyable to read, and if there was a formula for a great poem, you got it.

Nitpick:

And now the grandmother sits under it's shade,
The word "it's" should be "its" as "it's" means "it is", whereas "its" denotes possession.

Great job! This is incredibly impressive writing, especially for someone so young! Keep at it.




pretzelsing says...


Thank you and I will make sure to do a quick fix with that nitpick.



User avatar
128 Reviews


Points: 6214
Reviews: 128

Donate
Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:14 pm
BlueSunset wrote a review...



Hi there. When I first saw this, I thought: Wow, you got inspired by a pine tree outside your window.

That impresses me. Normally when I write poems, I make them up as I go along. I think the concept of this poem is good. So now moving on to the nitpicks. This really confused me. Throughout yours poem, you wrote "she" and "my". Yoo are going to have to pick which perspective you want this poem written in.

Now for another nitpick. (Don't worry, I think this is the last)
The second to last line you wrote:

And now the grandmother sits under it's shade, and looks up

This is too long. You should either omitt some, or switch part of it to the last line. If you just veiw your poem you'll see it's the longest line in it. Please consider that idea so you can have that line blend back in with the rest of the poem.

Sorry, I found a couple more errors. When you wrote in
Little baby pine cones appear,
Snuggled in the depth of the branches
Crushing the needles with the heel of my foot,
She smells the scent and aroma of pines.
You can uncapitalize "snuggled" and "she". Those aren't needed to be capitalized at all. I honestly mess up on that one a lot, too.

Overall: You had a great ending; I loved the last line. I think that is all I have to say.

Bye!

~ Sunset101




pretzelsing says...


Thank you for your review! I fixed that long line that you pointed out by just carrying the "and looks up" to the last line. I actually have decided that I want to capitalize the first letter in every line because I wasn consistency. Anyways, I was having trouble with "she" and "my" so I will try to iron that out.
Thanks for the review ^_^



BlueSunset says...


Anytime. :)



User avatar
257 Reviews


Points: 6130
Reviews: 257

Donate
Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:36 pm
Tuesday wrote a review...



Hello Tuesday here for a review. i like to begin that how the pine tree is a symbol of the girl, who is growing like the tree. Also even though there is little imagery in this poem, i can still imagine the tree growing or the baby pine cone appears in the tree branches on a sunny day or something. Also the tone of this could be either happiness or joyful plus i feel like there is an internal rhyme within in this poem to give a beat.

Nitpick(s):

In the beginning of this poem, it started out with a girl yet as I read on it shifts into first person. I thought this would be about a girl (then also at the end, it send with grandmother). That confused me a little. Maybe stick with what P.O.V you choose in order to make it flow nicely.

And the cycle goes back to the origin again.
This stanza is perfect but I would add the word once in here so it would read And the cycle goes back to the origin once again to have a rhythm within in this stanza,

Overall, I would say that this poem is amazingly well-written and for some reason, could relate to people since some people in the world, have pine trees and most of these people seem to grow up like these pine tree strong and every lasting like evergreens since they are forever green during the most coldest of nights (didn't meant to ramble). Also enjoyed how you repeated the beginning (but in a different order) tying it back.

Farewell,
Tuesday




pretzelsing says...


Alright, I changed that nitpick and those POV problems. So what I was thinking is that this little girl watches this sapling pine tree outside her house grow as she grows. The girl turns into a woman and a grandmother by the time the pine tree is full grown. (and of course obviously she lives in the same house her whole life).
So I was trying to illustrate I lapse of time in age for both the tree and the girl.Hope that this answers your question.
Thanks you for the review! ^_^



User avatar
73 Reviews


Points: 26
Reviews: 73

Donate
Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:18 pm
View Likes
Authorian wrote a review...



Aww, this is sweet. It flows really well, and I could read and understand without stopping and second guessing the meaning
It's calming, and I honestly might read this in future when I feel stressed. I don't know why, but it put my heart at peace.
"Crushing the needles with the heel of my foot,
I smell the scent and aroma of pines."
I especially like this line, it's simplicity and meaning are wonderful.
You have wonderful use of slant rhymes and grammer, as well as different lengths of lines. It's wonderful, inspiring, and paints the simple picture of a life well lived. It's like a peaceful life in the blink of an eye, illustrated by a pine tree.
Keep writing!
~Authorian




pretzelsing says...


Thanks you,this review made me smile :) It calms me down too!



Random avatar

Points: 4091
Reviews: 118

Donate
Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:26 pm
View Likes
Reet3103 wrote a review...



Okay so, this was a great one. Really, a topic people won't usually pick. It's actually a good way to express something so simple.

I think you should use capitals to start lines and commas at appropriate places. I liked the flow of the poem. And I think you should make your beginning and the end expressive. It makes the reader feel good too. And I think you lost the charm somewhere amidst the composition.

"snuggled in the depth of the branches

Crushing the needles with the heel of my foot,

I smell the scent and aroma of pines."

These lines were the best out of them all, really. Have you tried your hand at poetry before? I'd like to know :)

Keep writing and stay blessed.
xo




pretzelsing says...


Yes I did try my hand at poetry before, I am acutally doing NaPo this year and I really like to write poetry. I will make sure to actually put spaces between every comma and period and work on the ending punctuation.Thanks for the review^_^!



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 2766
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:24 pm
View Likes
Marshymallow wrote a review...



This is a very cute poem! I like the image of the journey that the little pine tree experiences as it climbs taller than it ever imagined. You could think of this as a story of new beginnings and great but unheard ideas branching off into history as a memorable factor we tell the new generations. (idea inspired by the grandmother looking up at what she has achieved in the long life she has gracefully lived) I really like how you say little baby pinecones appear as it creates a cute picture for the reader to enjoy when they could be having a spirit compressing day.

Just one little thing - add a space after your commas. Ah well, this was a joyous read that made me smile :D -Marshymallow




pretzelsing says...


Thanks, I like when my poems makes people smiles ;) I will work with tthe comma spaces(that is my weakness in poetry)



Marshymallow says...


Ah okay and no problem :D




Don't be sad bc sad backwards is das and das not good
— LadyMysterio