Home » Literary works » Short Story » Other

12+

Human Touch

by PlainandSimple

The human touch. It's something everyone needs in life. The urge begins when everyone is young. The second their mom or dad holds them. The second you make eye contact with them. Although you won't remember it, it changes your life. As a younger toddler, you do things to get attention. You may cry to get held or do something cute to be hugged. Things like this happen until the early teenage years. Then you begin to realize you want to be hugged or touched by others. Where you start to have feelings for people you barely know and aren't sure how to process it. You soon become obsessed, and things of that sort. That slowly drains away. Life seems to feel so alone after that.

Things change; life may seem to get better. Someone may come into your life. Someone to share your love with, and fulfill the need of human touch. Life goes on. People who don't enjoy the embrace of someone are just in need of love. In need of someone special in their life to change their thoughts.

~Human Touch~

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 pm
MoonlightForest wrote a review...

Wow, this is an excellent piece of flash fiction! I appreciate the fact that you address the entire concept of touch without a dull moment. Your prose is very clear and straightforward, which makes for a pleasant read.

I guess the only possible criticism I would have is that I wish you would explore the idea of lust and how it gets tied up with physical touch in adolescence. What does the "that" stand for in "That slowly drains away"? I was left feeling a bit confused. Are you referring to the need for touch, or the physical life/feeling of being alive? Additionally, it seems like your narrator has mixed feelings about the predisposition for romantic feelings in adolescence/early teenage years. I would suggest you would explore that, and even make it its own paragraph.

It was nice reading this short piece of yours. In the future, I hope to read a longer one of your works!

I also wanted to say thank you for the review! Means the world!

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 pm
MoonlightForest says...

Thank you, and what I meant by "Slowly drains away" is the need of touch from parents/ family. Such as in your teenage years, you get more distant from really anyone. So I'm sorry for the confusion.

You asked why I didn't go deeper into the feelings of early love. The reason behind that is because I wanted this to be directed towards everyone. Like appropriate for the younger writers on this website. I could have written it in a less detailed way, but that isn't really how I write. I also thought if I went more detailed in the specific part in someone's life it would make it less of a short story. (Because I would have had to go more detailed in everything else)

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:57 am
redvictory wrote a review...

I like the philosophy and thought behind this! It is communicated very well, and really hits home. :) Also I like the structure of starting when we are young and following us as we grow up!

One thing to be careful of is sentence fragments. Sometimes they can work as a little break from the norm, but in this short piece there are a bit too many, and they take me a bit out of the narrative. However, that's just my opinion. It may just be a stylistic choice that didn't resonate with me! Either way, that was just something I noticed.

You communicate your thoughts very well, though! I admire that a lot. Thank you for sharing with all of us!!

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:24 pm
Josie24 wrote a review...

Okay, so this is accurate. Like, scarily accurate. So, some

"The urge began when everyone is young." This should read, "The urge begins when everyone is young."

"The second there mom or dad holds them." This should read, "The second their mom or dad holds them."

"Although, you wouldn't be able to remember it changes your life." This should read, "Although you won't remember it, it changes your life."

"Where you start to have feelings for people you barely know and not sure how to process it." This should read, "Where you start to have feelings for people you barely know and aren't sure how to process it."

"People who don't enjoy the embrace of someone is just in need of love." This should read, "People who don't enjoy the embrace of someone are just in need of love."
Okay, thanks for reading my review. Happy Valentine's Day!

Thank you for giving me some advice, I will definitely be fixing those! Also thank you for the review, it means a lot. Also, Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak