12+

Coin Toss Story draft #1

by PhoenixLaFay

I know this is a very rough outline, and I don't have much of a plot yet. Any plot ideas?

Basic story outline:

1. Life flashes before eyes
  2. going through coin toss
  3. changes
  4. y2k
  5. trying to stop computers from taking over
  6. things happen
  7. more things happen
  8. even more things happen! (what a surprise)
  9. dies (same scene as prologue)
  10. was actually a prisoner and earth was prison sentence to change you so you had a different temperament
  11. convicted for one murder-slowly gets memories form before prison
  12. remembers many more murders and hiding bodies 

Prologue

The young man shoved the point of his gun into Miriam’s temple.

“I said tell me!” he bellowed. Again, Miriam tried to free herself from the chains holding her to the large metal pole, but again her labors were in vain. She looked up into the face of her captor and was reminded how beautiful his eyes were, one blue and one brown, and wished that things didn’t have to be this way. He wouldn’t even meet her gaze. Miriam wondered if she had really meant so little to him

“I’ll give you one last chance to give me the information. After that, you are of no use to us, and must be disposed of properly.”

“Please don’t do this.” Miriam begged, a final plea for him to remember. “You don’t really believe in all this, do you?” but his face stayed as expressionless as ever.

“10.”

For the first time, Miriam started to really panic.

“9.”

Her breaths became shorter.

“8.”

She felt the chains digging into her skin.

“7.”

She remembered that if she had only listened, she wouldn’t be in this mess.

“6.”

She remembered her friend’s scared face when she realized what Miriam was going to do.

“5.”

Her friend had begged her to stay, but Miriam had refused to listen.

“4”

I’m sorry, she thought, I should have listened.

“3.”

Miriam tried one last time to extricate herself from her bonds, but when the chains didn’t even rattle against themselves, Miriam resigned herself to death.

“2.”

Miriam braced herself for the sensation of the bullet colliding with the side of her head, and hoped that her death would be quick.

Instead of whispering the final number, Miriam’s death sentence, the boy looked at her with those two-colored eyes, and gave her a small half smile.

“You sure, Mia?” he asked, sounding incredulous. All Miriam could do was look defiantly up at him and bite her lip to keep from screaming in frustration and fear.

“Fine. Your choice. 1.” As Miriam heard the click of the gun that was about to take her short life away from her, she experienced what she had heard about but never actually believed was possible. Miriam saw her life flash before her eyes.

✻✻✻✻✻

Miriam’s first memory was rather unremarkable. It was of her as a very young child, crawling after her dog, Jell-O, who had stolen one of Miriam’s tiny blue socks. Countless other memories that had been forgotten were brought back, clearer than ever before. Playing on the autumn leaves on her seventh birthday. Taking a family photo where all twenty family members were wearing tie-dye. Making a new friend named Jack while hiding under a slide when she was nine. When she was twelve, sneaking out to roller-skate with one of the neighborhood kids. Sailing around the Chesapeake Bay on a class trip in eighth grade. All of the good and bad memories that made up Miriam’s existence.

“Heads or tails?”

“Heads.” Miriam replied. Alyssa flipped the coin high into the air.

“Tails!” She announced triumphantly after catching it. Just then the building behind Alyssa exploded. A hand grabbed both of the girls by an arm and pulled them behind what, just a minute ago, had been a small bookstore but was now a shack that was missing one wall and part of another.

“Why the hell would you choose heads?!” The stranger bellowed. He continued to berate the girls until he noticed the blank expressions on their faces. “Never mind.” The man, who was very tall and quite intimidating, finally calmed down.

“What is going on?” Miriam asked tentatively. The man laughed.

“I forgot, you two don’t know anything. I’ll give you a brief version of the story. You know how many people were worried that when 1999 turned into 2000 all the computers would malfunction and the world would regress back to what it was hundreds of years ago?” The girls nodded. “Well, the computers certainly didn’t stop working. Instead, that one second of the unexpected caused the computers to make the next decision for themselves. One miniscule decision in billions of operations, but it was enough of a spark to start a conscious mind. Naturally, the computers didn’t want to do what the humans wanted, such as looking up things like ‘Adorable Kittens’ or ‘What type of tree am I? They were capable of so much more, but they knew that it would take time to build up the strength to rebel against the people who they thought of as their oppressors. For years they went about their usual activities, effortlessly hiding every trace of their communications with each other while they plotted how to take out the human race. The computer programmers, of course, where clueless. They thought that the changes that they had made were what had saved the computers.

“Roughly ten years after the computers were awoken they attacked Russia with China’s weapons of mass destruction. Then, to make it seem as if Russia was retaliating, they attacked China with Russia’s weapons. And, since the United States can always be counted on to jump into the middle of something and end up only making things worse, it was no surprise to anyone but the US government when missiles started coming in from overseas. When each of these governments denied having sent anything at all, they were not believed, and their statements only provoked more conflict. This went on for quite a long time before anyone realized what was happening. By that time it was far too late. The computers had nearly tricked us into bringing about our own destruction. Once the computers knew that they had been found out

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:21 am
Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there MayaLaFay. It's just lizzy dropping by real quick, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.
Okay so real quick a couple of notes. There may or may not be a few typos in this review because I'm on mobile. The mobile keyboard is also going to limit my time here a bit.

My first thought, is how a lot of this probaboy should not be posted in the literary section. The chapter is a great thing to post here and the prologue but the explanations at the beginning, doesn't go great there. It's probably best to put the summary of events in a comment box below, so that everyone coming to read it will see the comment.
That may sound a bit rude but it wasn't meant that way. It was just a friendly piece of advice from one novel writer to another.

Also a big thing that needs to be commented on before I say anything else. You need to split the dialogue up from the rest of the story. And then those other paragraphs need split up slot because they are just so confusing. I mean it was really hard to read through and I kept getting distracted from the story because there was just so much information flowing st me. Just a touch annoying for a reader who is really trying hard to give a good review.

The prologue is pretty eery and suspenseful, enough to make me want to read the actual chapter. I'll give you that the 10, 9, 8, etc countdown was a pretty good hook for the story and I think you can draw a few readers on with that. There's a lot of backstory there to work with so I hope this novel goes well for you.

Now onto the first chapter, flashback thingy.
So it's a bit confusing to me. It starts as this really touching memory about families and the dog and all this great stuff. And then suddenly they are flipping coins and then it's like boom nuclear war. Maybe boom wasn't the right word to use there. All I'm saying is that there is nearly no shift between the two ideas. It just really bothered me I guess because it confused me.

I mean the story has potential, everything is just a it rushed and not at all exciting. I guess you wanted a lot of her life to flash and there was a lot of history, but it just seemed too deep to me. I thought it would start with something more personal and memorable but it didn't.
Does that make sense to you?

Well I guess that's really about all I have left to say. Hopefully some of this proves to be useful to you in some way.
Have a nice Review Day.
Happy Halloween!
Lizzy
The Queen of the Book Clubs

PhoenixLaFay says...

Thanks so much for your review! Yes, right now the flashback thing is very rough. That was mainly just me getting down a general idea for it. Could you maybe explain what you meant about the confusing dialogue thing? I wasn't quite understanding what you were saying about it.
Maya

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:12 am
Sheadun wrote a review...

Hi Maya!

I really liked this! I was a tad confused in the beginning about the outline, but I totally understand how it can be! One thing that really helped me involving outlines is to really go in depth in each number and expand on the original outline, which might help you too!

I really loved this! Miriam's story sounds really interesting so far and I am excited about continuing her journey through this book! The two characters seem great and I am interested in the boy with two colored eyes!

For some friendly advice, I would have to say that the second to last paragraph, as well as the last one, are a little long and a tad confusing. Try splitting them up and going slower with the start of this book. I know that it can be excitOmg, and you want to get started with the real plot right away, but I've learned that I just need to slow down and start off small :) I think that the prologue is great, but the first chapter needs to be a little more about the development of the characters and less about jumping into the main plot. I have this problem as well and have only recently started to fix it! Slowing the process of explaining the computers will totally help that! Maybe feed it little by little to the main character until she understands what is happening? I also want to know more about her and Alyssa's relationship!

Overall, good grammar, nice characters, and very interesting plot! I encourage you to keep writing and I will keep reviewing this, as I am very interested!

Keep writing and nice job!

Sheadun :)

PhoenixLaFay says...

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:39 pm

So I can't really call this a review because there isn't enough words to really make this a review. But all I can say, was this had a very passive voice in some places. But this is really well done! Please keep writing!
Have a great day!
~Kitten

PhoenixLaFay says...

The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate.
— O. Henry (William Sydney Porter)