z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Little red lights

by Pernicus


In the darkest of night a small red light can seem as bright as the sun. When you flick the switch and your room is plunged into darkness. You climb into bed and and shift around until you feel comfortable. You glance around the room before you close your eyes. You probably see a red light, a television, an air conditioner, a heater, a router or a laptop. Whatever it may be there is probably a red light somewhere in your room. Your gaze rests momentarily on the little bulb before it continues searching the impenetrable darkness of the room.



You finally feel at ease and you close your eyes. Sleep tugs at your brain. Just as you are about to drift off an overwhelming sense of unease descends upon you. You open your eyes just a peep. The red light had moved, you are almost sure of it. It was a little further to the left than before maybe even a little closer. In the dark there is no point of reference so you can’t be sure. You know it has moved but you have no idea how you came to this conclusion. You stare at the faint red glow fearfully. It takes you a minute to convince yourself that you are being crazy. Even then the doubt remains very real in your head.



You wake up the next morning and all is fine. The red light is dim and barely noticeable in the bright daylight shining through your window, It was just your device after all. Soon all is forgotten. You are unaware of what the little red lights are, sure some of them might be lights from your devices and such. But there are many others, the ones that aren’t supposed to be there. The ones that move when you aren’t looking.They are there. You probably haven’t noticed them yet, they come out when  you’re tired. The darkness makes them invisible. Before you flick the switch, make sure you count the little red lights in your room. Do you have one? Or two? Or three? Then flick the switch, climb into bed and watch. Count them again after a while. You will often find there is one more, or maybe one less than before.



They tend to get closer during the night. Its barely noticeable but sometimes you can tell they’re closer. They’re a bit brighter, a bit larger. Hardly a visible difference, but you can spot it. You're no fool, The lights cannot trick you.



Believe me or not, the lights move at night. You can laugh and scoff at this story all you want, the fact is you’re scared. It may just be something you read on the internet but you have little red lights all over your house. Tonight when the lights go out you will stare at them. You will be afraid, you will tell yourself to stop being so scared but you have every right to be scared. You should be scared. Little red lights that move on their own are scary. Maybe you’ve experienced it before and you seek an explanation. I am sorry I can’t provide any answers of my own. But I can leave you with some questions to ask. And for the final time, before you get into bed, count the red lights, your sanity may depend on it.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 328
Reviews: 11

Donate
Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:10 pm
pdavinci wrote a review...



Despite this being a bit of an old story, I have to say that I overall enjoyed it. It reminded me of some of the older creepy pastas I used to read.
This story just sort of grabs you. I feel immediately connected to the person you are describing. I have myself looked at the various red lights as I slept. The story builds tension into what these lights could be. I actually wanted to know what they were.
Despite the fact that you never really answered what those red lights were making me feel a tad disappointing, I felt like you ended on a good note. Not answering questions for this type of story leaves it all up to the reader to decide what those lights are and I support you for doing that.
Anyways, I enjoyed your story and keep writing.




User avatar


Points: 809
Reviews: 4

Donate
Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:17 pm
Primrose93 wrote a review...



I think this is brilliant. To make a story in a second person's point of view isn't something you find when reading. So the fact that it's something so different is what makes this story so good. Another is how frighteningly true this is. For everyone it may not be a little red light but in the end its all the same. The dark has a way of messing with you like that, so not every one can tell if there really is something moving around your room at night or not. And not many people write about something like this unless they're adding their own fiction to it to give it some spice. But the fact that some people might actually go through this is what sends shivers up my spine. But a job well done on this horror story.




User avatar
99 Reviews


Points: 603
Reviews: 99

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:26 am
Remington38 wrote a review...



Hello Remington38 for a late night review. I honestly hate myself now for reading this before I go to sleep because the light on the smoke alarm is green and flashes red every now and then. At first when I started to read this story I was hesitant because its seemingly to be in 2nd person point of view but for this story to be terrifying as it was the second person POV was almost necessary. I could really connect with the story and the late night insomnia not fun but in those restless nights every detail seems to stand out in the darkness. It really is a great idea about stories like this that you can relate to and write what you know. Those are the stories that seem to stand out and hold the most truthful meaning. Well written an absolutely horror.




User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 192
Reviews: 245

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:18 pm
ChocolateCello wrote a review...



Hey! ChocolateCello here!

I really liked this, it was chilling and told a very interesting story.

Minor things, not involving content, maybe put less space between your paragraphs and indent them. This is just some presentation stuff and I feel like it would look nicer and attract more readers. Again, with presentation, capitalize your title (Every word). It just looks more formal and draws in more readers.

In the second paragraph, I might suggest adding a sign on emotion half way through. The beginning talks about a 'sense of unease' and the end talks about 'doubt' but the middle is a little emotion less, simply focusing on the image of the dot. Just something like 'you watch the dot, heart beating a little faster' or something that 'reboots' the uneasy feeling in the reader.

This was all written beautifully and you really have a skill at writing/coming up with ideas for horror stories.

Keep up the great work!
-ChocolateCello




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 817
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:17 pm
emilycaroleena wrote a review...



This short story was awesome! I loved that the reader (myself) was actually more aware of their own body. I'm really into horror and thriller type of stuff and this gave me goosebumps!

"They tend to get closer during the night. Its barely noticeable but sometimes you can tell they’re closer. They’re a bit brighter, a bit larger. Hardly a visible difference, but you can spot it. You're no fool, The lights cannot trick you."

This was my favorite passage in the short story. I enjoyed how you were able to describe the lights in a very "spooky" type of way. I'll definitely read this again right before I go to bed. Good job on the great work! :)




User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 844
Reviews: 93

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:28 am
klennon14 wrote a review...



Wow! This story gave me shivers! I could tell right off the bat that this story must be from personal experience. I love how you envelope the reader in the darkness and the feeling of paranoia- it makes it so real! I very much enjoyed this story, because you evoked true fear in the reader. Great job!




User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 14468
Reviews: 214

Donate
Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:07 pm
artybirdy wrote a review...



To be honest, the ending scared me. I struggled to sleep last night because I made a stupid mistake of reading this just before I went to bed. Your descriptions sounded so real and personal, like you have experienced this paranoia. I like that you chose the second perspective (i.e. used “you” to address the audience) to tell us this story. The reader-author interaction here really brings the story to life and adds to the dark mood/tone. I have got nothing to say except that I really enjoyed reading this short story. Well done, and keep writing!




Pernicus says...


Thanks for the review,
I have indeed experienced this paranoia and I'm glad I could some others to understand why it frightens me so. :D



artybirdy says...


No problem! :)



User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:51 pm
tigeraye wrote a review...



Haha, I like this. It's like telling someone to notice their own breathing, and then they notice their own breathing. I would try to make it a bit more concise though, at times it felt like the narrator was just sort of rambling. For example of what I'm trying to get at:

You won’t be easily fooled. Some say if they reach you, you will die. This is probably nonsense, but they definitely get closer and certainly seem to be sentient.


I don't really think the second sentence or first sentence here is necessary. Saying "You won't be easy fooled" is sort of out of place here when the narrator is saying the reader will join in on his/her paranoia and fears, partly because the reader isn't strong enough. I also think the readers should be able to decide for themselves whether or not its "probably nonsense".

Do you have one? or two? or three?


You didn't capitalize the "or"s in this part.

They tend to get closer during the night. Its barely noticeable but sometimes you can tell they’re closer. They’re a bit brighter, a bit larger. Hardly a visible difference, but you can spot it. You won’t be easily fooled. Some say if they reach you, you will die. This is probably nonsense, but they definitely get closer and certainly seem to be sentient. Some have speculated that maybe the little lights are eyes of larger things, that sit silent in your bedroom. Like I said, nobody knows. In any case nobody knows why they want to get closer. It would certainly seem sinister and some say they actually cause spontaneous human combustion, famous for occurring during sleep. Some even think they’ve been around for millions of years and are our the reason we painted red glowing eyes on the walls of our caves.


I would re-write this part too. I kind of find it awkwardly written, some of the ideas you have here seem to be all over the place.

Some have speculated that maybe the little lights are eyes of larger things, that sit silent in your bedroom. Some think they’ve been around for millions of years and are our the reason we painted red glowing eyes on the walls of our caves. Some even say they actually cause spontaneous human combustion, famous for occurring during sleep. Like I said, nobody knows. Nobody knows why they want to get closer.


That's just my idea of making the paragraph seem less jumbled.

Besides some stylistic things, I like this a lot. It makes me want to actually go inside the narrator's head if you know what I mean, it seems like a narrative of someone maybe suffering from some kind of mental anguish. Nice job on this overall.




Pernicus says...


Thanks a lot for the feedback :D
You are correct about my mental anguish, I do suffer from insomnia and sleep paralysis. This story is meant to be about my paranoia. I see what you mean and I agree completely in terms of feedback, I will set about fixing it now!

Thanks again :D




Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria