z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

confusion

by Hijinks


Confusion fills my mind
swirls like an undercurrent
pulling all logic
               under.

The waves make it hard to find
the little inlet
that is my harbor of safety.

While algae grows on my ships of knowledge,
and oil spills coat my fish of curiousity,
every last bit of sanity slips between my fingers like grains of sand.

And every pledge
I made to my parents, to be good, kind and smart
have dissolved into the water.

Zebra mussels
cling on to all the natural thoughts left in my mind
and the only thing I know is that I'm   c   o      n  f u   se   d.

The people that bustle
to do their unconfused, daily activities
only add to the smog that fills the sky within me.

Where I can usually see stars,
now all I can see
is brown, the brown of city lights that don't belong.

I must dive deep, to the nearest sand bar
and find the grains of sanity I dropped on the ocean floor,
hoping that the waves will be calmed when I return.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 128
Reviews: 18

Donate
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 am
Taslimalima wrote a review...



it is a review.
I love poem sooo much. can not explain how much I love poems..it is in my breathe and in my soul and I believe I created for poetry and poetry loves me. ;).ha..ha.. sounds funny but it is true.any way,was reciting these sad and pretty words ..why are you so upset ? you know cute friend , if you look little bit carefully you can also change those city lights into those twinkling stars.. ;). just you have to believe in yourself bit more..can you do that? then let's go touch those stars and swim in that sand bar...it will be more alive..believe me..you can do this.best luck sweet friend




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 1009
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:56 pm
View Likes
SaveDodosNopeTooLate wrote a review...



Hi there! Dropping in for a quick review here...

I usually love these kinda metaphoric poems, and this was no exception, but I do feel it's a bit of untapped potential, as some things seem a bit off.

The first two stanzas are beautiful, and really set the overall mood of the poem very well. I like your writing style and formatting very much, especially the
under.

and oil spills coat the fish of my ocean,
As far as metaphoric writing is concerned, this line is strange, because it's not quite clear what the fish are supposed to mean, at least to me.

I made to my parents, to be good, kind and smart
This line is also strange, or rather, it ruins the mood a bit because you've been so poetic throughout that 'pledge to my parents' just doesn't fit in here.

Love love love the Zebra stanza, especially the way you've written confused. <3
And also the one right after that, it's a very smooth transition to the sky, as someone else said, and worded very nicely.

is brown, the brown of city lights that don't belong.
When you're describing the nature and all that, suddenly switching to a global warming or pollution related topic is really really weird. You've put in a similar point with oil spills, but that's not the overall flavor of the poem. Though the words fit the meaning here, they don't fit the rest of the poem.

The last stanza is perfect, and a lovely lovely ending to a beautiful poem.

Overall, this is a nice poem but the flow is all wrong, in that there are too many things that don't fit in, and you seem to be dealing with way too many different and completely opposite concepts here. Your imagery is brilliant, it's just the flow that I have a problem with. If you could maybe use metaphors that make more sense together instead of just being creative on their own, it would make this poem way more enjoyable.

Congratulations on a praiseworthy effort and a great poem. Can't wait to see what you write next.

Sadie




User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 4517
Reviews: 55

Donate
Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:47 am
View Likes
DarshayataDeka wrote a review...



Hi! Thought I'd drop in for a quick review.

Wow! I love this poem!! You are such a talented writer.

I did not notice any grammatical errors as such. The words were written well and punctuation marks were used wherever required. Even though dividing up the poem was a good idea as it made the poem more powerful and nice to read, I personally feel that the stanzas were kind of uneven, if you know what I mean. Moving on, I simply love the format of your poems. The way you started certain lines from the center instead of the left side and wrote words like "confused" is something new and unique to me. They are the best part of this piece of literary work.


Now coming to the actual content of the poem. The title of the poem "Confusion" complements it as it is what the poem is actually about. And, the poem itself is very beautiful and quaint. All those examples of "algae" and "oil spills" made the poem kind of realistic and easier to connect with. The only thing is that you should have provided at least some sort of hints about what the confusion is about. Or, is it regarding everything (or rather, most of the things) in general? Other than that, I think the poem was just perfect. Everything was written in a nice manner which was beautiful and easy to connect with and understand.

This poem is a picturesque one which has a great potential. With the right polishing, it will be a great literary work. I loved it! Keep up the good work.




Hijinks says...


Thanks for the review!!





You are welcome



User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate
Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:42 pm
View Likes
Steggy wrote a review...



Hello, Dino here for a short review!

You use sea terms very nicely throughout this poem and with that, comes great imagery and description. Most poets hardly touch up on the topic of what you are using or even use sea logic to compare it to that. I like how you kind of have that rhythm where it seems like waves pushing onto a shore.

Zebra mussels
cling on to all the natural thoughts left in my mind
and the only thing I know is that I'm c o n f u se d.


I like this line mainly for the spacing of confused. I think it gives off the same beat I was talking about before and it kind of reminds me of the little spaces inside of someone's thoughts (like you mentioned with the zebra mussels).

And every pledge
I made to my parents, to be good, kind and smart
have disappeared, dissolved into the water.


One thing about this would be the ending feels a bit redundant. Perhaps getting rid of disappeared. It'll be more in line with what else is happening throughout the poem.

The ending of this poem was really powerful also. It kind of cuts off like an anchor pulling a ship from sea or something. Overall, I really liked this poem. If you have any questions, let me know!

Dino




Hijinks says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
119 Reviews


Points: 4497
Reviews: 119

Donate
Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:08 pm
View Likes
InfiniteRectangles wrote a review...



This review is brought to you by InfiniteRectangles

Hello! InfiniteRectangles here with a review for you!

I really like how you explained your confusion by describing it in terms of the sea. I think that was really creative and it provides some imagery for the reader.

The people that bustle
to do their unconfused, daily activities
only add to the smog that fills the sky within me.

This was a smooth transition, I like it!

Now I must dive deep, so deep it's as impossible as touching mars,

This line was a little too long. It disrupted the flow. Also, the mars simile kinda came out of nowhere and threw me off a bit, but maybe that's just me.

Okay, that's it for this review. Sorry it's so short. I don't really have much to say about this poem. I quite enjoyed it! Keep writing and have a wonderful day/night!




Hijinks says...


Thank you for the review! I'm glad you liked the poem. I changed the mars part, so I hope it flows better.




You cannot understand and disagree.
— P. D. Ouspensky