z

Young Writers Society



My Body

by PandaAiKorai


Author's Note: Another amateur poem from the public domain. Enjoy.

Quit staring at me with those large, round eyes.
I don't deserve your scrutiny, their lies.

I'm not the beauty people claimed to see.
There are so many flaws outlined on me.

My legs are brittle, like a bird's.
My arms held the same scrawny look, for lack of better words.

My skin is paler than it's implied complexion.
And my face... I won't even mention.

My stomach, watch it bulge like a mountain.
No matter how much I try, it will never flatten.

Then the look of disgust evaporates,
but still reveals my many mistakes.

I see the girl, a total mess,
but who's knowledgeable enough to know she's blessed.

She has a body to inhabit, used to walk to the Earth's end,
and she didn't plan on taking it for granted.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 732
Reviews: 79

Donate
Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:00 pm
Temi wrote a review...



Hi! I love this poem! In my opinion, The poetic diction is self-explanatory which makes it easy for a reader to relate to the poem. I also love the voice that resonates in this poem. It's sounds low but seems to shout a powerful message that compels a reader to actually believe in your flaws. On the other hand, most times the ride the poem gives the reader comes to a stops at some ends. Is it cause you're trying force your poem to rhyme? Other than that, I feel the poem is a good one and certainly has potential. Keep it up!




User avatar
150 Reviews


Points: 13173
Reviews: 150

Donate
Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:47 pm
perdido wrote a review...



Quit staring at me with those large, round eyes.
I don't deserve your scrutiny, their lies.

#000080 ">your scrutiny, but their lies? Whose lies? The eyes' lies? I don't know. The rhyme, to me, seemed obvious. And I have a general distaste for poems that address a mysterious 'you.' I often feel locked out. We'll see.

I'm not the beauty people claimed to see.
There are so many flaws outlined on me.

#000080 ">again, I'm not a fan of the singsongy rhyme. I also don't like the word 'beauty.' the second line is okay.

My legs are brittle, like a bird's.
My arms held the same scrawny look, for lack of better words.

#000080 ">first line is great, the second falls flat. The rhyme is forced here. Get rid of it. "My arms held the same scrawny look." Rework that too, it's really choppy.

My skin is paler than it's implied complexion.
And my face... I won't even mention.

#000080 ">then why mention it in the first place? Seems like a cop-out to me. This stanza needs reworking, I think what could help is using more specific details to describe the flaws. Brittle like a bird's. That was good, specific, original, find more comparisons like that and I think this poem will improve a great deal.

My stomach, watch it bulge like a mountain.
No matter how much I try, it will never flatten.

#000080 ">bulge like a mountain is pretty good. the second line bugged me.

Then the look of disgust evaporates,
but still reveals my many mistakes.

#000080 ">ehhh I don't know. Some of these stanzas are just really weak, I think you could cut this one. It is interesting to note that the 'you' has completely vanished from the poem. So I think you could cut the first stanza too.

I see the girl, a total mess,
but who's knowledgeable enough to know she's blessed.

#000080 ">still weak, I'd reword this one.

She has a body to inhabit, used to walk to the Earth's end,
and she didn't plan on taking it for granted.

#000080 ">this is the only stanza that didn't rhyme, and it would work except every other stanza did rhyme, so it doesn't. I think you should lean more to this side. Also, 'used' to walk earth's end? Sounds like she's dead. I'd change everything to present tense, make it more powerful and immediate.

generally, I'd say use more specific sensory details, tip your scales to the SHOW side of the spectrum rather than TELL, and don't forget to READ. Pick up an anthology of contemporary poetry... or I just started reading a poet, Bob Hicok, who is incredible. I hope I helped

best,




User avatar
229 Reviews


Points: 7522
Reviews: 229

Donate
Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 am
AmeliaCogin says...



Hello!
This poem was very good. I can totally relate to it...in fact, I think alot of teenage girls can. It's intense yet very rhythmic and moving. Brilliant work. A *like* from me. Keep up the great work! Thanks
~ Amelia




User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 1071
Reviews: 26

Donate
Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:08 am
sapphirewednesday wrote a review...



I really liked this poem! Poems like this take a topic that is very intense and sad, and almost made light of it by pointing out the narrators flaws. My advise is that if you want your poem to rhyme, it's understandable, but don't sacrifice getting your point across just to rhyme. Good work! I'll keep my eyes open for your work!





Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here.
— Neil Gaiman