Journey to Stardom:Golden Diamonds-Chapter 1

by Ourcheers2u

This is the entire first chapter of the book I'm writing on Wattpad. I have a clear idea of what my charcter(Mina Lee) should be like, but I'm having trouble conveying that to my future readers.

Mina is extremely talented, and tries to come off as a nice person. In reality, she's a sarcastic and defiant young adult who is still trying to cope with the departure of her older brother Damien(who is a well-known hollywood actor), and her crumbling relationship with her mother.

Mina sees becoming an idol as a way to fix her problems, and will stop at nothing to accomplish her mission. It seems like I'm having trouble with getting Mina to stop and think. Stopping and thinking contributes to both the plot and character development...but I can't find anywhere to put it!! Please give me advice!! Thank you in advance!!

p.s. Let me know if you need help understanding the romanized Korean words!! 

________________

I gasped at the site of the SM Trainee Building. This building represents my dreams...this building is going to make them reality, I thought.

After so many years of lessons and countless hours of practice, it was finally happening.I shook off the trainee-high and typed in the passcode to the entrance. The tinted glass doors slid open to reveal a security guard. He asked me for my Trainee ID. I proudly showed it to him and bowed.

"Have a nice day," I said sweetly. His tough facial expression softened as he smiled in reply. Manners always make the difference, I thought as I walked toward the receptionist.

"Annyeonghaseyo! I am Mina and I'm here as a trainee," I took a look at the person in front of me. She wore a black pencil skirt and a white button-up blouse, with a Staff ID saying 'Park Baek Hee' around her neck.

"Ah, you must be new! SM Globals just ended last year, right?" Baek Hee asked. I nodded and smiled. "We get a lot of new faces at SM around this time. " She stated happily.

"Do you know where this room is?" I pulled my schedule from my duffel bag and pointed to the first rectangle. It had a room number next to the name of my class.

"Go down that hallway," Baek Hee pointed to the left."take the first right and your practice room will be the third door on the left. Make sure you're on time," she flashed a quick smile and went back to work.

"Thank you, have a nice day!" I told Baek Hee.

~

I repeated the receptionist's instructions in my head as I jogged down the correct hallway. The walls were painted a pink that was supposed to go well with the white ceiling. I understand that it's SM's color, but a hallway that bore so much resemblance to PeptoBismol was tacky, even for a trainee building.

Before I could think about the interior of the hallway, I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I rolled my eyes and looked at the sender. A 'KathrineXXX' stood in the middle of my screen. Kathrine has known me since birth. She was always there for me, and if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have been accepted into SM. She was the one who pushed me to audition anyway.

Kathrine:Matt told me the news!

Me: ????

Kathrine: You're a trainee for SM!!!!!!!!!!

I grinned at my phone and tucked it into my duffel bag, turning my attention to getting to class.

~

Before I knew it, I reached the designated meeting place. I could already tell it was a dance studio, which was expected of SM. They were known for their dancing-machine idols. You really couldn't be involved in the cutthroat world of K-Pop without a good performance.

I opened the glass door, revealing a very large room with mirrors on two of its four walls. Inside the practice room was a man who was wearing a staff ID that said 'Seo Sang-Gyu' and 'Dance Instructor' in bold letters.

"Annyeonghaseyo sunsaeng-nim," I said as I bowed ninety degrees. He nodded slightly and smiled.

"New trainee?" Seo-sunsaeng asked.

"Yes, this is my first time here," I answered. He nodded in understanding as he walked towards the corner, where a large stereo was located. A few seconds later, EXO's "Wolf" was blasting throughout the room. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as Seo-sunsaeng leaned against the wall closest to himself.

After a couple seconds of praying to be spared from any future punishments, I decided to take action. My body moved to beat, putting a spin on as many moves as possible. Of course it was still EXO's choreography, but if you put me next to them, I promise you that it would look completely different from the way I moved. I danced until the song stopped playing and froze, holding the final position as Seo-sunsaeng made his way over to me.

"Okay," He began, sighing heavily."Now I know what you need to work on."

"What do you mean?" I asked. Seo-sunsaeng rolled his eyes.

"Don't change the choreography! If you want to be successful, then synchronization is a must," He explained. It's always the ones who are nice at first...

"I still don't get it," I said. Seo-sunsaeng screamed in frustration, grabbing his hair and stomping his feet.

"You're trying to make the choreography unique to yourself. You're not supposed to do that," He said in annoyance.

"But if I'm not unique, then how will I stand out?" I inquired, straightening up and placing my hands on my hips. Seo-sunsaeng's facial expression went from annoyed to angry. I raised my eyebrows, daring him to say or do anything else. Obedience was never my strong point, but that defiant attitude is what got me accepted into SM. It wasn't my vocals, nor my dance skills, but my electric demeanor.

So there I was, challenging my own teacher on my first day meeting him. Seo-sunsaeng moved closer to me, to the point that our chests were almost touching. I didn't back down.

"Listen," he began."I have no idea why this company picked a third-rate person like you, but first-rate people like me don't have time to accommodate those who choose to drag everyone down. If you want to be one of those people, then you're in the wrong place," Seo-sunsaeng's face hardened as he stepped away and pointed at the studio's door. I know it sounds cliche, but something inside of me clicked. K-pop was I wanted to do, but I would have to betray every cell in my body to succeed.

However, that's what made it even more appealing.

___________________________________

ashlingwolf wrote a review...

Hey, ashlingwolf here! Happy review day!

This was a good first chapter which I enjoyed. I'm going to go through it.

When Mina said that the building represented her dreams, I was tied in. not, lying, I wanted to know what her dreams were. What the building was. How the building could help her. This was a good hook to start with, and definitely functioned well drawing me in.

Continuing through the first few paragraphs, I was continually drawn in. More and more questions were popping up in my head. What does she need an I.D. What is she a trainee for? What is SM? These continued to draw me in and kept me reading.

When you got to the phone conversation, however, I will say, I do recommend using actual quotation marks instead of just names with colons. Also, the multiple question marks I recommend replacing with something like "What?" or "So?" It would help the study flow better. Also, if you do still want to use the colons, make sure you put spaces in their proper places.

Also, does the conversation just cut off there? I'm a little confused. Does Mina just hand up after Katharine says that line? It would be a little odd, particularly in a conversation with someone who's that important to you.

When I got later in the piece, I figured out that SM was the Kpop entertainment company. I would recommend explaining this earlier, as I was definitely confused, and as most people who don't know it would be.

These are pretty much all the points I have. There are a couple of spelling and grammatical, errors, but I don't want to be too nit-picky to point all of them out. I'll just say: remember to proofread!

I very much enjoyed this. Keep writing!
-ashlingwolf

Ourcheers2u says...

Thank you do much!! Katherine and Mina were texting each other, but I think that you have a valid point. I'll be more descriptive in my writing so that my readers are more aware of that. Again, thank you so much!! Reviews are always welcome! Happy Review Day to you too!!

- Ourcheers2u

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:28 pm
AnarchyWolf wrote a review...

Good afternoon, Ourcheers2u. AnarchyWolf here to review this first chapter.

It starts out with a reasonable hook, seen as the reader would probably want to find out why she's gasping at the sight of a building, and what could possibly come next. When you state how much this means to her, it adds to the hook - even though you're telling rather than showing -, and keeps you going onto the next paragraph.

We have a bit of a conflict set up in this chapter, which is good - namely, the conflict between Mina and what she wants. This is good - in the best stories, the characters have to overcome their flaws to get what they want. This conflict should get more and more until it hits a breaking point, but I'm sure you've planned to do this. Your chapter is also proportioned quite well, although I feel like the 'end' part of it came and went too quickly.

The dialogue is full of character and quite lively, instead of being rocky and monotone and boring. It helps the characters to develop unique voices of their own, and show their characters without the author having to tell us what they're like.

Perhaps the biggest issue here is that you tell instead of showing.

Showing: The temperature had fallen overnight and the heavy frost reflected the sun's rays brightly
Telling: The morning air was bitter ice in her nose and mouth, and dazzling frost lay on every bud and branch.

Showing, rather than telling, immerses the reader in your writing so much more. They can feel and have a much better understanding of the world than when you just plain old tell them what's going on. It's also more fun for the readers to figure stuff out on their own, but it's primarily to up the quality of your writing and make it stand out a lot more. It'll also help it to become better on Wattpad, too.

Now I've covered the 'show, don't tell', there were a few minor mistakes I wanted to point out.

site

sight

my dreams...this

My dreams... This

happening.I shook

happening. I shook

time. " She

time," she

a pink that

If you're going with the colour as a noun, you should make it into 'a shade of pink'.

This building represents my dreams...this building is going to make them reality

This is fine, but should be in italics to make it obvious that it's the character's thought. It'll also make it stick out more in the narrative, which is good.

The breaks ('~') in your chapter aren't needed. They stop the fluidity of the writing and I'm sure you could bridge over the gaps very easily - you could practically just delete them and keep the chapter as it it, although the transitions could be tweaked a little.

The 'SM' building? What's an SM building? I understand that this story is probably aimed at fans of K-pop, and that this abbreviation is probably known by fans of K-pop, but those of who aren't part of the K-pop fandom have no clue as to what a SM building could possibly be - and while we figure it out, it could lead to some... unwanted conclusions. It should be abbreviated for the first mention of it, and then you can abbreviate it for the rest of the story.

I'd say, also, that your introduction, the bit before the story even begins, is unneeded. Not your personal note, but the information about Mina. You should portray her like that in the chapter - have her care about coming across nicely, have her bite back sarcastic comments until she finally snaps and is rude and/or defiant to somebody. Your way of writing her should give over all of the information about her character.

The Korean in your chapter should probably be either exchanged for English, or explained. I'd lean more toward exchanged for English, because it's fairly obvious that this is a K-pop fanfiction, and the periodic broken Korean jolts the reader away from the reading, I think. It's unneeded and your writing would be better without it.

You need to elaborate more on your characters' actions. This ties in with showing and telling, but it's more of a description issue than anything else. In your chapter, you write: "Thank you, have a nice day!" I told Baek Hee., and then proceed to write about how Mina jogs down the corridor. You could add something into the dialogue tag, maybe about how Mina starts to jog, or whether or not she's grateful, or something to just flesh out your chapter a little. It's the same thing when you write Of course it was still EXO's choreography, but if you put me next to them, I promise you that it would look completely different from the way I moved. How? How does it look different? Describe the difference in the dancing, like maybe the fluidity and flow of the moves, or the lightness of their feet, or their expressions. Don't just tell that it's different. Show.

Finally, you asked about stopping and thinking. I'd recommend not doing it in one big chunk, and instead spreading it out over the story. Have little seconds or moments when Mina reconsiders, or is forced to stop and consider the consequences. Perhaps have another character bring up the issue to make Mina think about what's needed of her. Sprinkle it here and there, just little hints as to what she might be thinking, or that she might be stopping.

-AnarchyWolf

Ourcheers2u says...

Thank you so much!!! The note before my chapter isn't on the Wattpad version, but I used it to give any readers/reviewers a better understanding of what I was struggling with. Your review is so thorough and specific! It was just what I needed to give me a broader perspective on my writing(specifically this chapter). Once again, thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your review!!

-Ourcheers2u

AnarchyWolf says...

You're welcome :) I'm glad it helped!

-AnarchyWolf

Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief