z

Young Writers Society


12+

An Irreversible Morning

by OurManInHavana


---- An Irreversible Morning ----

They sat outside and it was very hot and there was no wind and no shade. Glasses stood on the small, uneven table, empty. None of them had spoken for some time. They stared into the empty parking lot, which was adjacent to an even emptier street. One man undid the top button of his shirt and then wiped the sweat off his brow with his sleeve; it left a dark stain.



Beneath them was a blinding white; the ground was covered with white gravel and shone in the noon sun. The legs of their chairs dug into the layers of gravel and never stood comfortably. They did not speak, but all of them knew they thought about the same thing, thought about that morning, only a few hours in the past but irreversible.



They had left for work this morning as they so often had done before. Richard, the eldest, a tall and lean man with a serious face, had picked them up with his car. Every seat of the car had been occupied, all four. But now there were only three men sitting at the table.



"Should we have another drink?" Richard asked.



"What we should do is get out of this goddamn heat."



"I'm still thirsty. What about you, John? You want another beer?"



"I don't know," John said uncertainly. "I'll have one if you're having one."



"Christ, John. It's always the same with you isn't it. Can't you make up your own mind for once." the third man spoke.



"Leave him alone, Red. We'll all have another beer."



"No, I won't leave him alone. It's because of him we're in this goddamn mess in the first place! If he'd only stood up for himself for once in his life." Red said, raising his voice. The people at the other tables looked at the three men. Red looked back at them, the expression on his sunbrowned face hostile. John lowered his head and stared at his hands, ashamed."



The woman of the cafe walked toward their table; Richard asked for three more beers. Some moments later, she came back with the beers and placed them on the table. Richard reached for his pocket and took out his wallet. He sighed.



"I haven't got any money left." he said, his voice void of strength.



"Me neither." John spoke, not even looking up.



"There is still some left in," Red said, but could not finish what he had begun to say. He looked at the woman, who was still waiting, and then at Richard. He took a deep breath. "There is still some," he began again. "in HIS wallet."



The men fell silent. Red looked about him; searching for a response from the other men but found none. John's eyes were still upon his hands, and Richard gazed intently toward the street.



"Should I … use the money?"



Richard turned toward Red, his eyes pale and distant.



"Just pay the woman."



Red took the money from the wallet and gave it reluctantly to the woman; he could not look her in the eyes when he did.



There was now a shade, for a single cloud had moved in front of the sun. They sat unmoving, silent. None but Richard had touched his drink. John wiped his eyes with his hand, and Red saw he was crying. He shook his head and looked away, fixing his eyes intently upon Richard, who felt that he was being watched and turned to face Red.



"What are we gonna do now?" Red asked. "We can't just go back to work and then home, like nothing happened, can we?"



"Of course we can. We have to."



"It's easy for you, Richard. You'll just go home to your empty house and get drunk and pass out. But we have to go home to our families. How am I gonna look my wife in the eyes and tell her it was just an another day, that nothing interesting happened, just that Stevenson didn't show up and nobody'd heard from him."



Richard did not answer, could not answer. He muttered something and stood up. He took his glass and drank, in slow, steady gulps, what remained of his beer.



"We should head back to work. We can't be late, not today. Nothing can be out of the ordinary." Richard said as he put on his jacket. "Let's go."



John quickly rose and followed Richard, who had already started to walk away.



Red stayed behind and reached for a pack of cigarettes in his pocket. He took a smoke and lighted it, inhaling deeply. He noticed that his hands were trembling and that his mouth was dry, so he took his glass and drank the cold beer, but found that he could barely swallow it. Rising to his feet, he dropped his cigarette on the floor, ground it with his heavy boot and gazed toward the street, toward the two men, who he would have called his friends the day before. He went after them and they walked toward the empty street together, with the sun high and brilliant above them, like a great eye watching all.



THE END.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 104
Reviews: 77

Donate
Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:55 am
MemoryHunter wrote a review...



Hello, MemoryHunter here to review your short story~
First of all, forgive me if I suck at reviewing because fictional short stories are not my forte at all, but I'm still going to review this because it is interesting.

Personally, I found the beginning to be a little bit plain. Don't get me wrong; it's fine, but could use more of an impact. I mean, the beginning of short stories is where it all happens. Where people get hooked to your story. I believe you can improve the descriptions or perspective in the first part ^-^.

Okay, so your plot was very intense. I loved it. It's so mind-boggling and heart-trembling and has a suspense-ish feeling to it. I couldn't help reading as fast as I could to see what happened to the other guy et cetera. There were so many things with this that made my emotions just let loose.

However, the other guy was the problem. To begin, I know that perhaps the reason for his disappearance is pretty obvious, but I still couldn't get it. As IceWinifredd implied, he could have died, etc. but maybe there is something else to the story? The suspense is killing me, and it may be great for most because the feeling of a short story undone is somewhat artistic, but personally I don't like it. I want to know more about these guys. What was the cause for his disappearance?

To fix this, you can add more hints as to what happened, but don't go full throttle and explain the whole thing if you want to retain your style. But I'm not telling you to do so, because maybe other people like this work as the way it is.

Next, the characters.

The characters were awesome. I don't know why but I always have trouble connecting with my fictional characters. I think it's because I know they're not real. But you, sir, have made them pretty authentic. They seem to be real people drinking and contemplating about what to do. Kudos to that!

Okay, so that is all I have to review. I also read that you are conscious of your English. As a fellow English Is Not My First Language guy, I can relate. Especially when most of my readers are in fact, well versed in English. However, I like to believe that English is for everybody, and that if you make a mistake, you shouldn't feel that bad. I believe that languages were built for us to understand, not for us to correct. Whatever. You get the point. xD (Grammar Nazis please don't bash me.)

Another tip for you: never give up! I have been a crappy writer since day one and my dad was a well-known poet slash editorial writer back in his days. I always felt inferior to him and my works were as terrible as a potato. Maybe that is because of the fact that I started when I was in 1st grade BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT. xD What I mean is that don't let those failed attempts discourage you. Trust me, it's all worth it.

Last tip. Seriously.

If you have time, check out this website. http://ellenbrockediting.com/novel-boot-camp/
It's for novel writers but some articles can be applied to others too. It has been helpful for me and I wish it will be for you ^-^



Random avatar


Hello,

Thank you so much for your lengthy and extensive feedback and your kind words. I am glad that you found the story somewhat entertaining. I will perhaps rewrite the story and add more details. But to be honest, even I have no idea why the Stevenson character disappeared or why he was murdered, or even if he was murdered in the first place.

I also would like to thank you for the website you have recommended me and will certainly check it out.

And if you ever need some advice or feedback on a story just let me know.

All the best.



MemoryHunter says...


You're welcome! Oh, and I realized you were new here. WELCOME TO YWS!!! It's been a long time since I logged in but I can still reassure you that the community is awesome ^-^. Please make more short stories because I have to admit it, I like your writing style. *follows*

Happy Writing~



User avatar
118 Reviews


Points: 629
Reviews: 118

Donate
Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:44 pm
IceWinifredd wrote a review...



Hello OurManInHavana!

I thought I'd swing by for a review. Let's get started. So, I enjoyed the plot of the story and the chilly and sinister feel it has to it. It made the reading extremely intriguing and entertaining. In fact, I'm dying for more. The characters are nice enough. I like how I was able to get a feel of each character's personality simply the way they react to Stevenson's mysterious disappearance (which I assume they murdered him). One thing I found bad about this short story was the lack of details and descriptions and that you wrote about the feelings and actions, but I didn't feel anything. There's not all of tension or anxiety or nervousness or guilt that I expected. Another things is that in some parts, you have a overuse of commas and run-on sentences. Otherwise, I think it's a great write and I commend you for writing it. I was very entertained.



Random avatar


Hey!

Thank very much for your review. I appreciate it. I've only just started with writing, and, after a few failed attempts, this is the first story I'm somewhat satisfied with. So all the feedback is welcome!
A few questions. Could you give me an example of where I overuse commas? And also because English is not my first language I have some insecurities about my writing. Are you able to tell just by reading that this story is not written by a native speaker?

Thank you.



IceWinifredd says...


Hi there!

And you're very welcome. If or when you decide to continue the story, let me know and I'll give you some more feedback. English is not my first language either and no, I couldn't tell. You had me fooled! :D I put an example down below:

"They did not speak, but all of them knew they thought about the same thing, thought about that morning, only a few hours in the past but irreversible."

In the second paragraph. You can try to split that up with a ';' or break it into two sentences.

But don't be insecure.Your writing is pretty good. :) So no worries!




find your aesthetic and flaunt it
— manilla