z

Young Writers Society



The Death of a Poet

by Ofour


It is spent, no more will come.
The words within have been undone.
I cannot sequence more vibration;
It will not sound so simple, clear.

I thought that I
Could write a poem:
Invoke flaming passion
Or burning feeling
Or heroic oration

Pah

I am not special, I am imperfect:
Residual flaws and reflected faults
Curse my fingers as the pen rolls
From left to right and I slowly
Realise that it is not possible
To transpose pure thought to paper.
“The pen is mightier than the sword”

Pah




********

Went out on a limb here and tried something completely new - so no flaming.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 4190
Reviews: 36

Donate
Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:19 am
Cabassi_Crime_Family wrote a review...



I'd honestly like to be able to agree with your claim that this is completely original, but frankly, I can't.
You'd be surprised just how many poems there are about the process of writing, or components found in, a poem. However, with that in mind, I'll still critique this as a standalone piece, not dependent on either stereotype or cliche.

Ofour wrote:It is spent, no more will come.
The words within have been undone.
I cannot sequence more vibration;
It will not sound so simple, clear.

You start out with a rhyme, so when you don't follow through with it, the jump is awkward. I'd honestly say that this would be better with a solid rhyme scheme, and that's not a stance I usually take on semi-rhyming poetry. The latter 2 lines could do with a rewording, as they almost sound forced as it is now. However, if you do rewrite this as a structured rhyming piece (as I believe you should), keep the opening.

I thought that I
Could write a poem:
Invoke flaming passion
Or burning feeling
Or heroic oration

'flaming passion' and 'burning feeling' are, in essence, the same thing. With that said, specify just what type of flaming passion you mean. It's an oft-used descriptor, and I believe you could come up with a more fitting and refreshing image on your own. Be bold; make your own phrases, combine words in new ways.

Pah

I am not special, I am imperfect:
Residual flaws and reflected faults
Curse my fingers as the pen rolls
From left to right and I slowly
Realise that it is not possible
To transpose pure thought to paper.
“The pen is mightier than the sword”

Pah

the 'not special' statement seems rather irrelevant to the main point, so I'd nix it. However, the second line is well worded, and the two following it flow well together. The ending quote and subsequent 'Pah' seem an ending born of desperation, and I know you can do better than that. But you get props for using the British spelling of 'realis[/z]e'. So...yeah.

Overall, instate a proper rhyme scheme, and when you do, be sure to focus on flow. Cut out the points that are of no purpose, and try and condense the whole piece; it should add a desirable bite of potency. (remember, every word truly does count).

Irrevocably yours,
~The CCF




User avatar
171 Reviews


Points: 2594
Reviews: 171

Donate
Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm
wewinwelose says...



i really like this...but it doesnt make much sense




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:32 am
Rydia wrote a review...



Very nice. Yes, always a good idea if you're finding writing difficult, just write a poem on not being able to write a poem. Lol.

I like this and in fact it's the 'imperfections' of this piece that make it all the better. It's not some huge adventurous thing or some deeply provoking thoughts, it's just a person out there no different from a thousand other writers who's having trouble putting thought to paper. I'm not sure that the quote at the end fits but then again... Nope. Undecided on that one.

Altogether it's a good piece and very well written.




User avatar
195 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 195

Donate
Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:06 am
PsychicNinja says...



Original! It's kind of confusing though. I like the 'pen rolling' thing.




User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 1084
Reviews: 43

Donate
Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:08 pm
mateeah3 says...



But you acually did make me have a burning feeling,

because I could never write a poem this original...

or should I say, special...

EDIT:

Well, I suppose I shouldn't give up?

hehe





You are not the voice in your mind, but the one who is aware of it.
— Eckhart Tolle