You only love me when I'm leavin'

by Casanova

We kissed and I fell in love
Wrapping my arms around you, holding tightly
You made me remember what being safe is
But you don't see me the way I see you
You're runnin' around with a guy named Zack
But lyin' around with me, how do I get this back?
You say you love me, but I know it ain't true
You say you can see me, but I can see through you
You're heart's black and I'm on the attack
Takin' you by the head and slammin' my words down your throat
Havin' you eat all the crap you've said to me
Havin' you listen to what I have to say
You know I love you, is that why you're playin' games?
You know I can hear you, is that why you're stayin' silent?
You have a story to tell when we're not face to face
A tall tale and you expect me to just let it erase
All the wrong we've been through
How do I get it through to you you threw it away
The day you said,"I love you," when I packed my bags and left
And yet I still get a text sayin' what's next
I guess I'm the only one who sees

You only love me when I'm leavin'
You only see me when I'm believin'
In all the lies you send to my phone
When I'm packed up and ready to go
Walkin' away from my own home
You tell me once again
You only love me when I'm leavin'

I moved on and walked away, I thought it was best
But you know what haunts me the most?
You're actin' like I never left
You're still runnin' games on the guys down the street
You're stickin' to your script without missin' a beat
How do you expect me to move on,
when I see you flauntin' it like I wasn't even gone
How do I push through this
When I see your face and I really do miss
When I held my hand in yours and looked you in the eyes
When your lips landed on mine for a short moment and we let it all unfold
You lifted my shirt and told me it would be fine,
My lips connected to your neck and you lost your mind
Tellin' me it was only me you wanted,
You stayed by my side and held me there
Guess secrets are only secrets when you're here
All those words you said when we were in bed
"I'll love you till I die," I guess you're dead
Because the love's all gone

You only love me when I'm leavin'
You only see me when I'm believin'
In all the lies you send to my phone
When I'm packed up and ready to go
Walkin' away from my own home
You tell me once again
You only love me when I'm leavin'

Baby, don't turn away from me
Wrap your arms around my side
I'll pull you in tight
Let's forget the fights we've had
All the nights we've cried
Throw 'em in the trash and never remember
But you're not here to hold me
I can't hear you, and I don't wanna see
The twisted person I've grown to know
You've put on a good show
And we've both had fun
But when you're gone and on the run
I can't focus on what we were
I can't focus on the girl you were
She's gone and I can't take it
I know I'm actin' like a baby when I'm throwin' a fit
I'm outta control and don't know what to do
What can I do when you

You only love me when I'm leavin'
You only see me when I'm believin'
In all the lies you send to my phone
When I'm packed up and ready to go
Walkin' away from my own home
You tell me once again
You only love me when I'm leavin'

Show me something different
Show me the girl I used to know
Back when we we younger
And hadn't grown so bold
But you're not here to see me
And I'm not there holdin' you
So the only thing to do
Is just move on

Since

You only love me when I'm leavin'
You only see me when I'm believin'
In all the lies you send to my phone
When I'm packed up and ready to go
Walkin' away from my own home
You tell me once again
You only love me when I'm leavin' 

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:24 am
Mea wrote a review...

Ooh, this piece is quite strong.

Your chorus sells the whole piece, it really does, giving a strong basis that you expand on pretty nicely. I would nitpick that you don't need the 'in' at the beginning of the second line, and I'd switch out the 'you' in the fourth for a 'so,' but really, it's a memorable chorus that I could easily imagine hearing on the radio.

The way you say the narrator is on the attack in the first stanza is a little odd, since for most of the rest of the song he seems to be... not running away, but definitely trying to disengage with the situation, not really fight back, and in the third stanza he feels more wistful than angry. If you're trying to show a progression in the narrator's emotions, it kinda works, you just spend a lot more time on him walking away or feeling wistful, rather than being angry.

You made me remember what being safe is

This line feels awkward to me. Could it be "With you, I remember safety," or something like that?

Cliche, honestly. You could delete these lines and have little to no effect on the piece - I know you can do better.

Your rhyming is kind of inconsistent, especially in the first stanza. I've been trying to figure out a pattern to it, but I'm not coming up with anything. I don't think it's a huge deal, as it didn't throw me off when I was reading.

I think your third line could do without 'short moment,' and there are a few too many "when"s right here - could "the way" work instead?

Because the love's all gone
I guess I'm dead
But that isn't part of this song

That last line made me cringe a little - it feels far too meta and self-aware for this piece.

I hate to spend my whole time nitpicking, but I'm not sure what else to say except prune. Cut out words that you don't need and that trip up the flow. Parts of this are still rather generic, so if you can think of something better, do, but I think sometimes it's generic because the emotions involved are nearly universal, and that's all right.

That's all I've got for this one. On to the next. :D

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:53 pm
Snoops says...

Hey Matt!

How are you?

THIS LOOKS REALLY GOOD. CONGRATS ON MAKING THE FAME BOARD THINGY! :)

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:41 am
Poopsie says...

Ruv u rong time babe

Casanova says...

Ruv you too

Casanova says...

Ruv you too

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:35 pm
Holysocks wrote a review...

Hey Cas! I thought I'd drop by for a review! c:

I secretly love raps; they're so facinating how they're constructed, and the rhythem is so interesting- like to me that's the best part of raps; the different rythems that happen. I mean I'm assuming it's a rap because I know you do sing/write raps, and this seemed like one to me!

This gave me an odd feeling. It made me feel more for the person the song is about rather than the singer... mostly because we're only getting one side of this story; who's to speak for the lady in this? Nothing is one sided, and I felt like some of that seeped through here- which might have been your intention! Even when someone is horrible to a person, I find that I'm more sympathetic towards the person that chooses the humbler route; as apposed to bad-mouthing the person that hurt them. And the line above had a very distinctive taste of... abuse...? I don't think you meant it that way, but it comes across that way. ANYONE that grabs someone by the head/hair, needs to take a chill pill and rethink the situation.

Baby, don't turn away from me
Wrap your arms around my side

I thought this was kind of an odd thing to say RIGHT after the whole "you're a horrible person" verse. I certainly get that in situations/relationships like this, you'll be like "this is horrible they treat me so terrible" and then the next minute forget about the bad things because you're remembering the good times. BUT I feel like there needs to be a smoother transition into that somehow...? Even if you mentioned something like "But honey I forget you lie, and I don't want you to walk by"<--- man did someone just witness those mad rapp'n skillz XP ANYWAY just because it kinda felt like we were almost being transported into another song because it just didn't seem to fit together there.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that these lyrics were a bit wordy at times. For instance, if you look at the last quote Baby, don't turn away from me you can get away with taking out "from me" and the meaning does not change at all. Extra words is seldom the "better way". They take away from a work, and especially in works like lyrics and poetry where every word has to count, because you're trying to impact the audience with your short bit of art. Wordiness tends to drag things on and muffle the meaning. Less really is more in this case.

Let's forget the fights [b]we've had
All the nights we've cried

This is another example of wordiness that you could do without. "We've had" doesn't add anything to that line, nor does it change the meaning in any way. Sure, it clarifies a little; but the audience isn't dumb, we know that these lyrics are about two lovers, so the clarification isn't necassary! :P My suggestion is that you give this a read through and see if there are any extra words that the lyrics don't need.

Show me something different
Show me the girl I used to know
Back when we we younger
And hadn't grown so bold
But you're not here to see me
And I'm not there holdin' you
So the only thing to do
Is just move on

Since

I think you were intending for this to be a bridge? If so, I love it! I think it's a great bridge, and I LOVE bridges!!! They just kinda give you a nice break from repetition, and are just all-around neat!

Anyway, this was fun! Keep it up, Cas! It would also be nice to hear you rap your own songs sometime- I now I've heard you rap others! C:

-Holy

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey