School Days

by Noldor

I really don't understand school.

I didn't care much 'cause I'm cool.

And then came exams

And we all had to cram;

It turned out that I was the fool!

Harker wrote a review...

Hey there, Noldor! Just a couple of quick suggestions.

I really don't understand school.

I'd make this past tense because the rest of the poem is in the perfect past. So it'd be, "I really didn't understand school". I'd also put a comma after this because it seems to make more sense than a full stop. Or go for a 3/4 stop with a hyphen, like "I really don't understand school -", etc. Just make sure it's easy on the eyes. You can also, alternatively, add an "and", like "I really didn't understand school, and / I didn't care much 'cause I'm cool."

I didn't care much 'cause I'm cool

I think this would flow better as "I didn't care much - I thought I was cool". Alternatively, replacing the hyphen with ellipses would be okay, too. You could also say "I didn't care much 'cause I thought I was cool". That makes more sense flow-wise and content-wise.

And then came exams

And we all had to cram;

I actually like this line. It's quite jaunty and the rhyme works. However, just for my nitpicky sake, I'd change the second "and" to "when", and remove the first "and" altogether. This will improve the rhyme aspect of it, I think.

It turned out I was the fool!

Excellent job. I'd add an "and" before this, and I think we'd be done! Oh, wait. Replace the "the" with "a", because "the" implies that you're the fool and someone else isn't, but you haven't mentioned who the someone else is.

Let's review our revised version, quickly:

"I really didn't understand school, and
I didn't care much, 'cause I thought I was cool.
Then came exams, when we all had to cram,
and it turned out I was a fool!"

It's a nice rhyme, and it seems like something a teacher would put on their wall. If you're still in school, I think your professor might find it interesting! :D

IronSpark

Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:58 am
Vasha26 wrote a review...

Ahahaha yes. Being a full time high school student, this makes me so happy. I agree with the suggestion of ChocolateCello that watching the tenses is key. Keeping an eye out for little details like that can really pull these short pieces together. Personally if I was going back to tweak the tenses (and not fudge up your limerick structure) I might start the first line as "I never could understand school" or "I never did understand school", that way it keeps the 8 syllable pattern. But that's just a stylistic suggestion, you could rearrange it however strikes your fancy ;D Also mentioned by ChocolateCello, the "the fool" used in the last line is a smidge awkward as nothing is considered the fool prior. An "a" makes it make a little more sense. I do support ending with the exclamation point as it keeps the predicament shocking (in the narrator's view) and lighthearted to the reader. I actually really like this with its funny, brief little narrative. I may have to show it to my friends :) Nice work

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:52 pm
ChocolateCello wrote a review...

Hey! ChocolateCello here!

So this review is gonna stay short-

The only thing I really had a problem with was this last line

It turned out that I was the fool!

Two things (Both rather minor)

A) 'I was the fool' implies that someone/something was considered the fool in the first place. You say that you don't understand school but you never call it a 'fool' so I feel like it would be better to say 'I was a fool'

B) I feel like the exclamation point isn't truly needed. Now and then, it's okay to throw in an exclamation point so don't feel the need to take it out, but a warning for the future- Many authors get into the habit of using out of place exclamation points which begins to take away from their writing, making a great story seem childish for the over use of the punctuation. In this case, it's okay, but just keep an eye on your use of exclamation in other writing.

OH! Wait, sorry. I was going to be done but I found something else-

I really don't understand school.

I didn't care much 'cause I'm cool.

Watch out for tenses. In the first line you say 'don't' (Past tense) and in the second line you say 'didn't'. The don't is the out of place one, it should also be a didn't. (Changing it to didn't disrupts the flow a bit although it is the proper way to say it)

You clearly have some talent and I encourage you to keep up the good work. Really like the poem and it made me laugh quite a bit.

-ChocolateCello

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:38 am
GeeLyria wrote a review...

Hi Noldor!

I'm GeeLyria and I'm here to review for you. First off, welcome to YWS! If you have any questions about anything related to the site or how to surf through it, feel free to let me know, and I will do my best to help you out there. So I read in the description that you wrote this among classes. That's kind of cool, you know, to get inspired while doing things a lot of people do in a daily basis. I think this is kind of humorous, but I also think that humor could be improved by making this piece a little more personal. First, I would suggest developing the character a little more. I think this kind of poem could take great advantage of a narrative. Mostly, because your character has personality! Definitely. xD But if you show it a little bit throughout your piece, it could draw in the readers as they get to know the character, and what's even better, it could get them to relate to the character or just love it because they feel like they know the him/her. In other words, my suggestion is for you to make this poem, perhaps, a little more personal as develop further on the idea. Other than that, I think you're good. So keep writing! :)

-Solvy

Noldor says...

Heya GeeLyria, thanks for the review! Firstly, thanks for the offer for help! I really appreciate the thought, as well as the review. As for your comment about making the poem more personal, I can understand completely that that would make definitely make it more engaging and add a touch more humour. The difficulty is that I was trying to keep to the limitations of a limerick, which puts a big constraint on the size of the poem. Making it more personal would probably take a lot of restructuring and the difference may not be obvious, but I think I'll try implementing that if I ever tinker around with it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

- Noldor

GeeLyria says...

Ooooohhhhhh! That makes sense. I didn't notice the structure, yessss. I see now :)

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:51 pm
EternalRain wrote a review...

Hi, there! This'll be a short review, but a review nonetheless. :p Oh, and welcome to YWS!!

I really love this. It's sweet and simple and pretty straightforward. I like it, and it is pretty realistic, at least for some people I know. I do love the humor though. It made me smile in your this-is-so-cute-and-funny kind of way.

I love how it starts out a bit slow, and by the third line the pace has quickened up. In some poems this is awful but it definitely worked in this one and it worked quite nicely too.

One nitpick;

I didn't care much 'cause I'm cool.

I feel like a 'so' before cool would make it sound better. Slower, perhaps, but I felt like it needed something more. And what better way than to have 'so' fix it all up for us? :P

It isn't that creative (I've seen many poems like this before), but it did work and the rhythm was awesome. Keep writing! :D I hope you enjoy YWS~

~ EternalRain

Noldor says...

Hey EternalRain, thanks for the review! I appreciate the positive comments and I can understand where you're coming from with the addition of a 'so'. I feel like it would help with the tone by reinforcing the slightly arrogant outlook of the speaker. I was trying to maintain the pace of the poem and loosely hold to limerick rules, meaning I'd have to add a syllable in to the first and fifth lines too, but it may definitely be worth tinkering with the piece.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Noldor

EternalRain says...

Oh, okay, I see. You're welcome, glad I could help a bit ^-^

Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon