Home » Literary works » Short Story » Humor

The Sock That Picked Favorites

by Necromancer14

Hello there, my name’s Bob. If you are reading this, remember that this is an extremely rare occurrence. It may seem like this might be happening to you, but don’t assume so, because it doesn’t usually happen. Usually.

It all started one cold winter day when I was getting up and getting dressed. The first thing I noticed as I sat up in my bed was that my sock’s drawer was open. And it had only one sock in it. Yes, I know that you are getting horrified right now, and rightly so. This is a horror story, not a comedy.

Anyway, the first thing I thought was “Where did all my socks go?” Well, actually all of them except for one pair had holes in them and were in the garbage, which definitely had nothing to do with me running on pavement wearing three pairs of socks… and then doing it again with a different pair of socks when those ones were ruined… but back to the story. I was pretty sure I had two socks in there, not one. Well, I put on the one sock and began looking for the other one. I searched everywhere, under the bed, in my closet, under the mound of random stuff on the floor, everywhere.

Finally, I gave up. I came down stairs with only one sock.

“Honey, where’s your other sock?” asked my Mom.

“Can’t find it,” I answered.

“I bet I could find it easily,” said my sister, who generally was quite obnoxious. I was sure nobody’s sibling was nearly as annoying as my sister was. She always went through these crazes, jumping from one thing to the next. Right now, she was obsessed with magic tricks. At school she would impress everybody with making things disappear, among other things. I could never figure out how she did it.

“Sure you could,” I said sarcastically.

“Wanna bet?” she asked.

“Sure. I’ll bet ten bucks,” I scoffed.

“You’re sure? You’re not changing your mind?” she asked.

“Of course I’m not going to pass up ten free dollars,” I replied.

“Dears, no betting,” said our Mom.

“Rats,” we said in unison, both of us disappointed.

“I’m still going to find your sock, and you’ll owe me one,” said my sister. Why did she sound so confident?

“Yeah right,” I said. We went upstairs. My sister walked into my room.

“Did you look under the bed?” she asked.

“Yes. I looked everywhere. Trust me, you’re not going to-” I said, but she interrupted.

“Found it. It was under the bed. Look for yourself,” she told me smugly.

“What?” I yelled. I stared under the bed. There it was, right in plain sight. I was sure I had looked there before. “You’re… you’re right,” I said begrudgingly. “It’s there.”

“Told you,” she said in a voice that suddenly seemed way more annoying than usual. “And you shouldn’t leave clothes on the floor.”

I put the sock on and didn’t say anything as she walked out. The rest of the day was the usual, going to school and all. However, when I came back to the house, my socks were a tad wet so I hung them up to dry in the bathroom. Since I didn’t have any other pairs, I walked around barefoot for a while.

You probably know what happened next. I came back to see if my socks were dry and they were; at least, one of them was. The other sock, the same one that was missing before, was gone.

“Noooooooo!” I shouted.

“Honey, don’t shout,” said my Mom. I grumbled something definitely not rude. Nope, not rude at all. There wasn’t an ounce of rudeness in my angry mumble.

“Having trouble finding your sock again, Bob?” asked my sister with a sly smile on her features.

“Go away,” I said. “I’m looking for my sock.”

“I bet I could find it easily,” she said, and I got a shiver down my spine. An idea formed in the back of my mind… but no. That would’ve been impossible, or so I thought at the time.

“Sure you could…” I said uncertainly. This conversation was sounding familiar.

My sister walked around, looking at everything.

“Seriously. I’ve already looked in all of these places,” I told her. She ignored me and then walked up to the sink. Her back was to me.Then she turned to the side so that I could see.

“It’s right here, Bob. You left it on the sink.”

I gawked. It was laying right there in plain sight. I had looked there a moment before and was one-hundred percent sure it hadn’t been there when I looked. “How…?”

“You must be blind,” she laughed. “You’re so stupid. And blind.”

I numbly picked up the sock and put it on, walking out of the bathroom. I realized that there was something seriously fishy going on here. Something to do with my sister… I thought about that idea that had formed in my mind earlier, but no. It couldn’t be. I didn’t believe in such things.

The events that happened next caused me to learn the truth. I caught the culprit red handed, and it has changed me forever.

It was the next morning, and I had almost forgotten what had happened yesterday. I was beginning to doubt my memory, and I figured I had probably just been extra bad at looking for stuff then.

I sat up in bed, and rubbed my eyes. It was a little earlier than usual, but I decided to get up anyway. However, before I got out of bed, I heard a slight rustling sound. It sounded sort of like a blanket, or some other kind of fabric, moving across a carpet. I glanced over the bed at the floor, and saw the most horrible thing I had ever seen. Horror movies may be scarier, but when something is real… it’s just so much worse.

My sock was moving across the floor. It was dark out, and I couldn’t see very well, but I was sure. It slid over to the door, and then went under it, into the hallway. I screamed. I had realized something horrible.

My sock was alive.

The door burst open and my parents and sister came in. “What’s the matter?” asked my Mom.

“Well, you see…” I trailed off. No way were they going to believe me. “I had a nightmare,” I mumbled. “I’m fine now.”

“Okay. Just making sure you were okay.” My parents left. I looked at my sister, noticing she was holding some yarn, which was attached via tape to… my sock.

“No! It can’t be true!” I shouted. My parents came back. However, I had fainted. I had discovered something. My sister and sock were working together to ruin my life! Their plan was to make it so that I could never find my sock, but my sister could so that she could constantly gloat over the fact! Don’t believe me? Here’s the evidence.

First, I couldn’t find the sock under my bed. Why? Because it was hiding! It probably wasn’t even in my room! However, when I went downstairs to eat breakfast, my sister stalled me with the talk of betting so that it could go back into my room and hide under my bed. It was so obvious! How did I not figure that out before?

Second was the bathroom. This one was trickier, as the sock had to somehow get up onto the sink without me noticing while I was in the room. However, it was again my sister. She covered for it by blocking the sink from my view so that the sock could climb up onto it. This was when I started to realize what was happening. However, they didn’t know that I suspected anything.

Finally, the early morning. I caught the sock moving, which made me realize that my suspicions were accurate. I had found all the clues, and there really was no other explanation. My sock was alive, it could move, and it was in partnership with my sister. I wonder why she seemed to have attached it to some yarn, though. Probably another devious plan of theirs.

Since then, I have kept all of my dresser drawers locked so that my socks can’t run off and prank me anymore. I also keep my bedroom door locked so that my sister can’t let them out. It seems to have worked.

P.S. I also figured out the motivation for the sock. It probably wanted revenge for it’s fellow socks getting the pavement treatment. With that in mind, the following is the moral to this story. Don’t be harsh to your clothes ‘cause they might be alive, and keep an eye on them so that they don’t sneak off. Most clothes are normal, but some… well, you know.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:10 am
felistia wrote a review...

Hi, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful day. :D

I didn't catch any spell or grammar mistakes so it looks all good on that front.

The plot was humorous and got a few laughs out of me.

It was a bit predictable though. How old is the main character? It seems peculiar that he wouldn't make the connection that his sister was moving the sock with the yarn especially since he knows she does magic tricks. That would be my only complaint regarding the plot of the story.

The idea that a sock is alive and so is spiting the main character for deeds he's done towards other socks is quite funny. I had the same problem with constantly losing socks in the journey from washing basket, to the washing machine, out onto the line and back in to match. There was always one missing. It's great because I can relate the character in the story.

Overall this was a story. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

Your friend, Felistia.

Thanks for the review! And yeah, I can also relate.

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:17 am
EditorAndPerks wrote a review...

Hello there! Thank you for requesting a review, sorry it's taken me a few days - school online is keeping me busy. ^^ Since this seems like a more light-hearted story, I'll give a shorter review, and won't be going as deep into the meaning/structure/main things I usually go over.

With the asides to the reader at the beginning and ending, there comes a curious tone here, something akin to a narrator looking over the past events, especially since the main story was written with the past tense, while the "start" and "finish" are in the present tense. This reads almost like a children's short story, which isn't a bad thing, it just means there's a clear storyline, I think a large population could read along with the dialogue and the characters' actions.

I think the unraveling thoughts of the main character, Bob I suppose I shall call him, are pretty funny. I guessed that the sister might have been involved from the first time that she tried to trick him into giving her money in what seemed like a fine bet, but then absolutely turned into a lose-lose-lose situation for Bob. This whole scenario reminds me a bit of the pranks my parents would play on me and confuse me to no end! Not to mention socks. Missing socks is the worst.

This definitely was a little silly, but an enjoyable short story. I think the dialogue/events get a little muddied near the middle section, once Bob gets a little suspicious, so I would suggest possible edits in trying to make things less bundled up and maybe drawn out a bit. I can certainly feel sympathy for Bob, but I imagine his sister and mother were messing with him to not be horrible people, but as being pranksters.

The bits about the socks being "human" or "alive" are hilarious because I remember waking up as a kid and realizing that my socks were off my feet, and freaking out. Interesting, and nicely done!

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:59 am
BhavyaMehta123 wrote a review...

Hi! I liked this. I feel this has been inspired from something which might have happened in real life. Siblings find it funny to do all such things and drive their brother/ sister crazy.
I had fun reading this. The last lines are my absolute favorite. I can't stop reading them again and again. I feel you have done a great job and title is apt as well. The story is well written.
Although you shifted to second person but I feel it is okay. Overall, I loved your story. It was filled with twist and turns and kept readers engaged, like me.
Great Job!
From: Bhavya

Welcome!

Stellabeam wrote a review...

What an interesting concept!!!
I love reading about a missing sock (one of my biggest pet peeves ><) and your sister (I have a couple that are annoying as well haha) together.

This part here you switch from 1st person to 2nd person. I know some writers do that but it's rare and hard to pull off well. I think you would be better stick to 1st person for this story.

"Yes, I know that you are getting horrified right now, and rightly so. This is a horror story, not a comedy."

There is this line also

"I grumbled something definitely not rude. Nope, not rude at all. There wasn’t an ounce of rudeness in my angry mumble."

Sarcasm doesn't read too well over writing and in my experience it's best over dialogue but if you want the character to think it be sure to vary the wording, change up word "rude"

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for the review! Though I wasn't switching tosecond person, the

(I did not mean to hit send. Here's the rest of my reply) ...though I wasn't switching to second person. I was simply addressing the reader.

Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.