12+

We are an Anthro

by Nanashi

There are many different races in the world, and some of them are kept secret from human view. Anthromorphs are furry beings, where a human have animal characteristics like cats, dogs, snake or any common species that existed in this world. Their quiet existence, though, was shattered by humans' inquisitiveness and arrogance. As a result, they were forced to conceal their true identities in order to survive.

A persian cat who has fur who is as white as snow and as fluffy as the pillow catches the beautiful girl's attention. The eyes of the cat who is as blue as the morning sky, made her heartfelt warmth as she looked at it.

"What a cute little kitty!" The girl named Anna exclaimed as she tried to hold the cat with both hands. The cat supposedly welcomes her with a warm meow turns out to scratch her soft skin with it's claw.

The girl was well aware that the cat was still terrified, which is why she made every effort to tame it. She went to the dark alley every day only to see the cat; she spoke to it as though it were a human being and treated it as if it belonged to her. It might seem that trying to tame this cat is troubling this lovely lady, but who knows why she is doing so.

"You know, you should come with me sometimes," Anna said to the cat, making the cat slowly walk away from the beautiful girl. "Don't worry, I'm not here to hurt you or anything" The girl said in defense, because she knew what the cat was thinking right now.

'I decline, as I need to protect myself in order to survive.'

The cat leaves as a response to what the girl just said to her. Anna sighed in defeat as she got rejected by the Cat once again.

"Why didn't you recognize me, Haven?" When the breeze sweeps through her beautiful black hair, she inquires, tears welling up in her eyes as the memories of an unidentified boy play in her head.

Who would have guessed that this young girl was suffering from so much heartache, that she had been separated from the one she really loved due to the evilness of each human being? Her feelings begin to take precedence over her body, and she becomes unaware that her cat ears and tails are beginning to show.

Emotions are extremely dangerous, and as a result, the gates of hell will once again be opened for her.

Day after day, Anna is nowhere to be seen in the dark alley where the cat is still found. It was perplexing for the girl who swore she'd always be by the cat's side but now she doesn't show up without warning. Is it as a result of the cat's actions, or has something negative occurred? The cat is very concerned about what happened to this lovely lady, unaware that he has become so close to her that he can no longer maintain his cat form.

Smoke billowed from the dark alley, and a handsome man with white long hair emerged. He hasn't used his human form in years, just to reassure Anna's wellbeing. He began to walk away from the dark alley, but a whiff of fresh blood captured his attention before he could even step out. He began following the fragrance because he recognized the owner of the blood he smelled. This is the blood of his lover, who he got seperated to years ago.

“Aah! Let go of me, you evil human beings!” The sound of a girl's voice is filling the alley. Those that are selfish and curious laugh. The white-haired man has heard everything and is furious that the voice he hears is Anna's.

When he actually spotted her, he saw her wrapped up in the rope in her furry form, which enraged him even more. His long-lost love is now suffering as a result of his own blunder. His finger is beginning to resemble a claw, and each fingernail is as sharp as a knight's blade.His hair is now the darkest shade of black, and his eyes, which were once as blue as the sky, are now as fiery as the pit of hell.

This is truly Haven, who will be your savior even if it means he needs to become the king of hell just to conquer all those who will hunt you down.

“You dare to hurt my beloved” Haven said calmly but with full authority making all the people within the dark alley shiver in terror. “Leave, if you want to live and if any word is spread in the city I will make your life a living hell” He continues to scare the people away and leave a scar where they will remember what they have done.

He carries Anna who is actually Eveanne to his home, the home where every anthromorphs can be found. This home can’t easily be found by humans or even enters. Haven created this all just to bring peace to the same race as his and to live with his lover. Races can easily be destroyed by other races with the use of mentally and physical abuse, we are discriminated against because we are different from them and believe with what they don’t believe. We should learn how to fight back, a fight where you will be able to reach peace.

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:59 pm
stygianmoon17 wrote a review...

Heyy stygianmoon17 here for a review :D

I'm in a mood to analyse tiny details, so sorry if I seem harsh, I just feel like analysing everything lol

So let's begin..

Your title was really catchy, and the sort of "resume" that's supposed to make us want to read your short, was really interesting. It was out of the ordinary, that's pretty clear, and it's so intriguing I immediately clicked on it the second I finished reading the whole thing. So props for you. No idea if this is your first short story, but your title and hook were impeccable to grab a reader's attention.

I just felt like sometimes, you misused certain words. Like when you say "Anthromorphs are furry beings," I literally saw a furry. Like I imagined that your new species was a furry. while it's more cat like, so maybe shapeshifters would be better. Or hybrids.

Other misused words I saw are:
-"There are many different races in the world," this sentence works, but races are more like "felines" and "arachnes" you know. So maybe a word like "species" would fit better here.

-also, "Their quiet existence, though, was shattered by humans' inquisitiveness and arrogance. " I know this is a sort of prologue, a narration before the actual story to fill us in on the setting's details; but the arrogance of humans would be better if shown. Like their arrogance led them to believe they could tame anthromorphs, which led to a war, or humans attacked one of their kind for no reason, or conducted experiments on one of them- you know. Giving more details. It's the "show don't tell rule", but it really helps.

- "a persian cat who has fur who is as white as snow and as fluffy as the pillow catches the beautiful girl's attention. The eyes of the cat who is as blue as the morning sky, made her heartfelt warmth as she looked at it.
"What a cute little kitty!" The girl named Anna exclaimed as she tried to hold the cat with both hands. The cat supposedly welcomes her with a warm meow turns out to scratch her soft skin with it's claw."
THIS is what bugged me. The way you switched from two totally different voices. From past to present I think, I'm terrible at grammar lol, but it still felt wrong to read. The tiny bit I listed above, should be, in a correct tense:

"a Persian cat who had fur as white as snow and as fluffy as a pillow caught the beautiful girl's attention. The eyes of the cat as blue as the morning sky, made her heart feel warm as she looked at it.
"What a cute little kitty!" The girl named Anna exclaimed as she tried to hold the cat with both hands. The cat who supposedly welcomed her with a warm meow turned around to scratch her soft skin with its claw."
(I corrected one or two typos)
See, it flows better and it is in line with the tense you use all along the rest of the text. The only way to know if you have a correct voice in a short, well, apart for having it checked by an English teacher, is to read it out loud. sometimes speaking out loud something makes you hear out what's off about it.

That was your prologue, but after there's not much to critique. Maybe except for a typo here and there and a few misused tenses.
I thought the story was really interesting, and if I'm not wrong, this is the first short you've ever published, so good for you ! It's a really great story overall, and I hope you're planning on continuing it <3

Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:08 am
MoonIris wrote a review...

Hi Nanashi,
I'm here with a review. You have a very interesting story and I'm glad I get to review it.
I liked the idea of these creatures that are human and animal. Where did you get the idea? I liked as well that there is a lesson at the end.
There are a few things that I think you could improve.
First of all, you should tell us more about these creatures. Where are they from? Were they created? Can normal human beings become like them? I would have liked to have more info about their backstory while reading.
Second of all is that this phrase is a little hard to understand:
"Their quiet existence, though, was shattered by humans'"
You could say they were living quietly or peacefully.
The third thing is that the story seems a little rushed. We start by learning about these creatures than Anna, the cat, and suddenly you tell us about their heartbreaking past and a kind of underworld for this race. My advice, is to take time to describe what's happening. What does Anna look like, what does the ally looks like, how does Anna look when she is traped? It would also be nice if you told us more about the power of emotions. Do they change forms because of emotions? Was Anna relieved that Haven saved her? Happy that he came after her?
One more thing, as far as I understood, a few days passed before Haven saved her was she in this cat form all along? In the beginning, you said: "have animal characteristics like cats, dogs, snake or any common species that existed in this world." It's a pity we only see cat characters.
I hope my review helped you and it didn't offend you in any way,
MoonIris. :)

Nanashi says...

Thank you very much for the review, your analysis really helped me out. I'm just a begginer in writing and english is not my first langguage. And thanks to you, I got an idea how to improve myself more. Thank you very much!=))

MoonIris says...

I'm glad I could help. If you want u can check Hello Future me on youtube. He has videos on writing for characters, worldbuding and stuff lile that :)

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson