All Gods

by Mythreader32

Have you ever wondered why in the Bible and in mythology all over the world Gods come down, from Heaven, or Olympus, or Valhalla to Earth, and mingled with mortals all the time, but now no one talks about seeing Ra or Athena while they were walking down the street? It could be because they are not real. It could be, but it is not. The gods are real, all of them, Greek Gods, Roman Gods, Norse, Egyptian, Christian, Jewish, Hindu. All of them, living in their respective homes. But why don’t you see them anymore? Here is the story…

...

The first thing you need to know is that Gods are lazy, they like to get offerings and be prayed to, but they don’t like the work that comes along with it. Very long ago, when mankind was still drawing on cave walls, the gods staked out their territory around the world. Some felt drawn the the river that flowed North, some tropical islands, some by themselves, some living with other Gods. They spread and spread, all over the globe, slowly coxing humans out of their caves. Humans had never seen such creatures as the Gods. They both feared and loved the Gods.

What the Gods did not know was that the humans had power too, they had the power to give power. They gave some Gods power over the sun, some power over water, some the power to judge humans after they died, and some gained power over all. How is this possible, you might ask? Humans made it so, humans are the most divine of all divine creatures even if they didn’t know it. They told stories of the Gods who resided nearest them, and in these stories they gave the Gods power, and the Gods received these powers in reality. The more these stories were told the more power the Gods gained.

But as I said before, Gods are lazy. Now that they had the power to control animals, the moon, the weather, they had to use it. It was not uncommon to find Ra, Apollo, and Tonatiuh bickering over who should raise the sun that day or to find God, Akan, and Oben debating who was the most powerful. There were times when the sun did not set for days at a time or crops would be flooded and others would wither and die while in the same field.

Before long the humans realised what was happening and all of the highest leaders of the world met in a grand fashion, in a very secret location. They called upon their Gods and summoned them. The kings and high priests of the world explained to the Gods how they were leaving the world in disarray with their squabbling. The leaders of the world decided that the only way to save the world was to take away the God’s power. The kings and high priests went home, and told their people, “The Gods are myths, they are not real, they have no power.” That was all it took to take the Gods power away, and the world was safe from the Gods once again.  

dm74 wrote a review...

The assertion that all gods from various pantheons and religious traditions are real offers a refreshing and inclusive approach to understanding the diversity of human spirituality. It celebrates the rich tapestry of religious beliefs and practices found across cultures and throughout history, inviting readers to explore and appreciate the multiplicity of divine beings and mythologies.

The portrayal of gods as lazy beings who crave worship and offerings adds an intriguing layer of complexity to the narrative. While it may seem irreverent at first glance, it serves as a thought-provoking commentary on the human tendency to anthropomorphize and project human attributes onto divine entities. This perspective encourages readers to critically examine the dynamics of power and worship within religious systems.

The explanation for how humans bestowed power upon the gods through storytelling offers a fascinating interpretation of the symbiotic relationship between mythology and human culture. It highlights the transformative power of narrative and collective belief in shaping our understanding of the divine, inviting readers to reflect on the role of storytelling in shaping their own spiritual identities and beliefs.

The resolution of the story, where human leaders collectively strip the gods of their power by denying their existence, presents a bold and empowering vision of human agency and autonomy. It suggests that humans have the capacity to challenge and transcend oppressive religious systems, reclaiming their sovereignty and shaping their own destinies.

Overall, "All Gods" offers a thought-provoking exploration of the complexities of human spirituality and the enduring power of myth and belief. It celebrates the diversity of religious traditions while encouraging readers to critically engage with their own beliefs and assumptions about the nature of divinity.

First Impression: Well this was an interesting take on a "the gods are real" type of story. It uses a few things that might offend a few people that take the message here seriously, I know you probably don't intend to bring across a message like that but still it can be interpreted that way. Other than that this does sound fairly unique.

Okayy..well this is starting off with a really interesting premise. I've seen this explored quite a few times and usually the results are quiet funny but lets soo how this goes...and if it explores the cliches that usually accompany this stuff...although this does include gods from more current beliefs so well...this could get interesting.

Well as far as a story of gods and humans go that was a pretty fun way of writing that. Its not following along too much of what's always said and it's not particularly boring either. Well, we're off to a neutralish start with this story, let's see where it takes us.

Hmm...well that's take from the human's side that I haven't seen before, humans having the power in the whole equation...hmm...well this is turning out to be less funny than I expected but it is proving to be interesting in its own right.

Well...don't really recognize half of those gods...whoops but well...that's a bit of a throway paragraph of humor...not terrible but this is populated by something you see a lot with the whole gods are lazy and they're always bickering thing...but well...the reason that's seen a lot is because its funny and enjoyable so hence this is pretty funny although again I don't recognize half the gods here so that decreases the humor a little for me.

Well...that was inevitable...predictable ending aside it is still quite a fun idea I think. So I think umm...this was not too bad as a story.

Overall: Overall this was an interesting story and for the most part I did have fun reading it so I think that's about all I've gotta say here.

Anamel says...

I think you'd really enjoy watching the show American Gods. It has the same premise and it's amazing.

creaturefeature wrote a review...

'Ello there!

Technically, I shouldn't even be reviewing this due to my religious beliefs, which have been illustrated here in ways that go against what my gods say. Of course, it's fantasty, but portraying gods that I and other people actually believe in as lazy and other things could possibly end up as offensive or something worse than that.

I don't want to pick out the exact parts that bothered me, but "they like to get offerings and be prayed to, but they don’t like the work that comes along with it" made me grimace a little, so not a great first reaction to your writing.

It was not uncommon to find Ra, Apollo, and Tonatiuh bickering over who should raise the sun that day or to find God, Akan, and Oben debating who was the most powerful.

Another thing: If you're going to have Gods capitalized, then who is God? It varies some, but if you search it up, you'll find the name. Christianity's god isn't the only valid god, so having that alone makes it seem like it's trying to say something that isn't very nice.

Before long the humans realised what was happening and all of the highest leaders of the world met in a grand fashion, in a very secret location.

Could you describe the location? I can imagine so many places that are "secret" so that isn't helping me with a mental picture.

That was all it took to take the Gods power away, and the world was safe from the Gods once again.

That was a quick ending, and a not-so realistic one. Looking at it from a religious person's viewpoint, gods are pretty divine and pretty powerful, so I doubt people's word alone would defeat every single one of them.

Good job, but work on your wording because you don't want to offend people.

lum

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.