Wait, what?

by MysteriousMagic

I don't know if this is the right rating. This doesn't contain any serious gore, but it does mention death, so I thought I'd be careful. xD

This is joint-written with my friend Cleo. She's too young to join, so I'm posting it. :)

--Introduction--

The sun was shining in the sky; birds were singing; the sky was brighter than blue paint. Basically, a perfect morning.

Not for Jane Clarke, it wasn’t. She had been dead for forty-six hours and her body still hadn’t been recovered.

Jane had been nothing special: an average girl, just out of an average school, working in an average office around average people in an average city. She hadn’t been particularly intelligent, but nor was she a bully. She was just average Jane Clarke.

The police were ripping their hair out at the fact she had just disappeared. Her mother claimed that she had been talking to her daughter mere hours before her disappearance, and there was nothing different about the girl. The only thing she had commented on was the fact she was going to visit a long-term friend.

The press, meanwhile, were lapping up the fact that this ordinary girl had gone missing and no-one knew where she was. Scandalous headlines fluttered across the newspapers faster than falling paper, and the population was urged to give any information on where Jane had disappeared to.

“Where do you think she’s gone?” a builder asked another as they lounged around during their morning break.

“Lord alone knows,” the other sighed, sipping his coffee very daintily. “I just hope she’s not dead.”

“Me neither,” the other agreed solemnly.

They sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes until both their coffees were finished. Then they stood up and began to work on the back-garden of a highly important client. They pulled up weeds, planted flowers and knocked down the old shed. In fact, when they knocked down the aforementioned shed -

There was a stream of curse words, and then the name “JANE CLARKE!” was screamed.

Jane Clarke had been found.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:32 am

OKay...well this sounds like an interesting start here. I have certainly seen this whole everything is average and they can't figure out anything situations before but those are always interesting in some way so this is certainly catching my attention here as a reader. I think there's plenty of interesting stuff being mentioned especially with how stumped the police appear to be and that thing she mentioned right before disappearing.

This rather narrator like style there of just sort of presenting the facts here almost as if someone is telling us an old legend or story is a very neat mode of getting this particular story across I think. You create a nice little environment around this rather mysterious situation here and things just feel that much more palpable and powerful.

Jane Clarke had been found.

Hmm this is an interesting choice there in the narration. We've got this whole setup that's been building up for quite some time now and this makes for a cool little reveal to end on here with this missing girl being found. It certainly makes you want to read and find out more here as a reader.

Gheala wrote a review...

MysteriousMagic wrote:I don't know if this is the right rating. This doesn't contain any serious gore, but it does mention death, so I thought I'd be careful. xD

--Introduction--
The sun was shining in the sky; birds were singing; the sky was brighter than blue paint. Basically, a perfect morning. #BF0000 ">(I'm thinking it would be better to put commas here: The sun was shining in the sky [color=#40BF00 ],birds were singing #40BF00 ">and the sky was brighter than blue paint. [/color]
Not for Jane Clarke, it wasn’t. She had been dead for forty-six hours and her body still hadn’t been recovered. #408000 "> I like that! Recovered from death? Interesting.
Jane had been nothing special: an average girl, just out of an average school, working in an average office around average people in an average city. She hadn’t been particularly intelligent, but#BF0000 "> (I think it would be better if we omit the 'but') nor was she a bully.
#BF0000 ">(Better as a new paragraph, I think)She was just average Jane Clarke.
The press, meanwhile, were lapping up the fact that this ordinary girl had gone missing and no-one #BF0000 ">(Just say 'no one')knew where she was. Scandalous headlines fluttered across the newspapers faster than falling paper#BF0000 ">(Falling paper doesn't really fall fast. Maybe you could pick a more literary and imaginary way to describe the rapidity), and the population was urged to give any information on where Jane had disappeared to #BF0000 ">(Some people say that an author shouldn't end his or her sentence with a preposition).
They sat in a #BF0000 ">('a' isn't necessary, i guess. Just, comfortable silence)comfortable silence for a few minutes until both their coffees were finished. Then they stood up and began to work on the back-garden of a highly important client. They pulled up weeds, planted flowers and knocked down the old shed. In fact, when they knocked down the aforementioned shed - #BF0000 ">(I don't think it's a good idea to cut the sentence off like that. I was confused and the importance of the next sentence was wasted in my head)
Jane Clarke had been found.

Wow. I loved the ending, and it was an introduction! It's very exciting and right now I'm very interested to read more and know what happens next. Well written. Post again!

Imagine if everybody had a little Wii sports Mii to say "Great Shot!" everytime they did something right.
— TheMythMaster