z

Young Writers Society


12+

Angel and Man- Chapter One (Part One)

by MuslimPen


Chapter One

Did I love Allah?

Sometimes, I asked myself that question at the sound of Fajr Azan, and sometimes I forced myself not to ponder the matter for too long, lest the answer was shameful or boldly sinful. Because as beauty was in the eye of the beholder, and as I hardly managed to behold any kind of beauty in this wretched world, I also failed utterly to feel even the least warm spark of love inside my clamping heart.

And of that, I was ashamed and shyly disgraced. How would a man dare not search for love and admiration for his own creator? When one believed in a creator, an upper hand, a superior self that moved and made all in perfect consistency and flawless power, one would fall in deep respect and a somewhat divine adoration for him at once. Only shame reached my chest, nevertheless, especially when I remembered my slain mother’s favorite verses of Quran.

Slain, yes, but mind not the horrors and truths behind my murdered mother and try as intently as I always did to concentrate on the pure Godly words, eh?

‘Successful indeed are the believers. Those who offer their Salat with all solemnity and full submissiveness. And those who turn away from evil and vain talk. And those who pay the Zakat. And those who guard their chastity.’

Allah said those words, but in evident Arabic of course. Hm… I always wondered how difficult it would be to try and achieve all those marvelously ethical deeds that would satisfy God with my life, but… Well, I never succeeded to let the matter go any further than mere wonder, let alone the strength to obey such clear orders.

Docility was recently quite… arduous. I wasn’t one of those who rushed hastily to their praying mats several times a day, nor did I bother much to give away a part of my adequate wealth for those in need. Even my chastity, it wasn’t a quite fatal matter to think about and try to preserve.Maybe because I was a man that I cared less about ethics and good deeds? Yes, a young man in his very early twenties would bother himself more with succulent pleasures of life than to speculate in sacred words of God.

But then, what difference did it make to be a man or a woman in this day and age? We were equal, they said, were we not?

Well, I certainly had a different opinion, while I couldn’t see, feel or think of any sort of similarity between the two heavenly created genders. Heavenly, while muscles and soft skin danced in utter harmony around us every single day on sidewalks and in workplaces. And it remained so terribly monotonous, the life that we gulped down so swiftly, so recklessly like a glass of vodka until the mystical beauty of our own nature- our own bodies!- failed to reach us as radiant, but merely existent.

I used to care so utterly for such radiance; such abysmal and endless divinity used to tantalize me till the point of drunkenness. But… it didn’t last for as long as I imagined, and all of that later reached me as unnecessary and hated one year ago.

Seven months had passed, to be so brutally precise, since I became a changed man. It was the very second when my greatest hope was to resurrect my mother’s soul by kissing her blood that spilled on the white Bedouin rug. It was the paralyzing stigma of loss and defeat that altered me, as I rubbed the sharp bits of her shattered skull until my hands had wounded and bled over the spot where her calcified corpse used to lay.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 73
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:19 pm
jamgalloway wrote a review...



Hey, there! This is just gonna be a really short review.

Basically, I thought this was really well written and have nothing to say for improving that. That being said, this was a bit difficult to read all the way through, at least for me, as it felt a bit...dull. I hope you don't take offense to that as I don't mean it rudely, but what I mean is, this entire part is just this man's thoughts and opinions on things. No actions, no dialogue, no description of the setting. Just his thoughts. As well-written as this is, if I read this at the start of a book, I probably wouldn't be inclined to continue reading it. Maybe I'm saying all of this a bit too soon since this isn't the full first chapter, but with there being no involvement of the plot really, just information about the character, it reads like an article in a magazine instead of a novel. I'm not saying you need to rewrite all of this section or anything, I'm just saying I think adding *something* to go off of will improve this. Maybe like 1-3 paragraphs of action/description of setting/ whatever would be good. Because right now we really have no idea where this guy is either, just this guy's thoughts with nothing to attack it to really.

Anyway, it's up to you on whether you want to change anything or not, but either way, I hope this helped. This was really good, I think. Just missing something. But yeah, if you need my help with anything, just want to talk, want me to review something else, whatever, just let me know, I'd be happy to. Good job and good luck! :)




MuslimPen says...


Thank you for taking time writing that review. Yes, I know what you mean that the beginning isn't stunningly intriguing, especially that I chose to point out the main idea of the novel first, instead of letting it happen through actual scenes.
It's just that starting off with movement and dialogues isn't my style. I'm more into descriptive paragraphs like classics, or maybe also Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat. I do hope I find readers who would prefer reading it that way, because I'm not the dialogues starter type. Hmmm *pensive face*

Thank you again for the review! And I sure will run straight to your wall once I need any help. Thank you, thank you!



jamgalloway says...


You're welcome, anytime. And I can get that, that's how I write my nonfiction works myself.



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:11 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hey there,

I'll start off with highlighting some nit-picks and nice moments:

Ironically, your first paragraph was going to be a nit-pick because I couldn't understand what it meant then I read it again without the stress of my cooker making weird noises and it turned into something so subtly sweet that I wanted to highlight it as a nice moment :P

preserve.Maybe

Missed space

different opinion, while I couldn’t see

That comma should be the start of a new sentence.
Actually on reflection that advice is incorrect, but "while" definitely isn't the right word there. I think either "different opinion, since I couldn't..." or "different opinion. I couldn't..."

I wasn't going to say anything about how much that paragraph made me hate your character because I figured it was on purpose, like you were writing him as a conservative. But there actually wasn't a whole lot of emphasis on it there so I'm thinking maybe it's just intended as a passing thing. Be warned that I am probably not alone in fixating on that as something to be mad at. (the bit about the two binary sexes not being similar at all that is).

hated one year ago.

That sounds a bit precise, as if your character is reading out your novel plan to me.

Seven months had passed, to be so brutally precise

Oh, well, fair enough.

Overall:

Character: I am intrigued by your character's waning beliefs and the guilt he (?) seems to feel for that. It's an interesting subject to explore and I'm intrigued to see where that goes. Did you have to make him a sexist though? That just makes it so much harder to sympathise with him.

Setting: Since very little actually happened, there was very little of this. I did however manage to get the impression of pressure being placed on the character, which is very helpful for making the first issue (about guilt) I mentioned feel more pertinent.

Plot: Ok so, I don't really think this makes sense as a novel chapter. It's in interesting, smooth, well-done read, but it feels more like a prologue, or even just a dramatic monologue. If you want me to be more invested in the story, I need at least some sort of action your character was in the middle of when these thoughts occurred to him. You get close to this at the end when you outline his mission, but even then I'm not totally clear what he's planning. Like, a literal resurrection? It would have been much easier to invest in this if it had been a thing from the start.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




MuslimPen says...


Oh, thank you, thank you, for the review. I was waiting on blistering coal for the first review and it just popped up in my notifications. I almost went mad as I refreshed the page every few minutes. Haha!

He's not sexist, no! On the contrary, he's in love with the tender gender. So soft, he thinks it is that he's repulsed by thoughts that claim identicality between men and women. Hm... But now that it gave you that kind of impression, I'll find a better and clearer way to put it in the chapter.

Um.. This isn't the whole first chapter. I just thought I should put a part of it. Two out of ten pages, to see how fellow writers would see it.

Thank you, thank you!



ExOmelas says...


Ohhh that makes sense about the chapter length. I have the same issue. Might want to put "Chapter 1 Part 1" in or something.

Also, referring to biologically female people as "tender gender" and saying that men and women are not similar could very easily also be seen as sexist. To be a sexist all you have to believe is that there's an inherent difference between men and women. He might not be a mysogynist, but putting women on a pedestal like that is still pretty dodgy.

You're welcome :)



MuslimPen says...


That's a very good point. Alright, might as well fix his opinion regarding that issue, lest people dislike Omar before ever getting to know him!



ExOmelas says...


Haha, fair enough xD




Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield