Friends Surround Me

by Moraca101

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

wow

you are so crazy

laughter fills the backseat

friends surround me

I smile

I laugh

I hide my tears because

friends surround me

monsters creep and scare

screams around me

but I just smile

friends surround me

just one

try it

it's okay

friends surround me

one is five

five is twenty

on the run

friends surround me

metallic jam

drip drip drop

snikt snikt snikt

friends surround me

cuffs and lights

Miranda's rights

but i smile

friends surround me

pretty pleases

and promises

but they wont free me

friends surround me

Don't listen.

She is crazy.

39 victims

friends surround me

So many heads.

All lined up.

Written on the wall.

"Friends surround me"

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:39 am
DrLavender wrote a review...

Hey Moraca101! I'm here to do a review! I liked the poem - here's a few notes.

you are so crazy

Based upon reading the rest of the poem, I would think the word "so" isn't needed in this line.

I smile

I laugh

I hide my tears because

This is all great, but since the rest of your lines aren't starting with a caps, don't capitalize this either - even though it's an "I". If you've ever read any poems by Rupi Kaur, which if you haven't I strongly recommend, you'll notice not a single letter is capitalized.

screams around me

While this line by itself is fine, it just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the poem. I think it'd flow better if you removed this.

but I just smile

I only quote this because of my previous suggestion on lower-casing the "I".

Miranda's rights

Would lower-case "Miranda's". Again, I know it's a proper noun and that normally you would want to capitalize this by any means, but poetry seems to have its own rules. At least from what I've observed.

Don't listen.

She is crazy.

39 victims

friends surround me

So many heads.

All lined up.

Written on the wall.

"Friends surround me"

And I again quote this for the same reason in regards to the caps.

Alright, well so that wraps that up! I enjoyed this poem to be honest with you, even though I've never been big on horror work. This was well done!

Moraca101 says...

I didn't know about the "don't capitalize I if you aren't going to do the rest" thing, so thank you. The last two stanzas have purposeful capitalization because it is someone else talking and she is hearing these snippets of conversation. Thank you for the review, and a big THANK YOU for teaching me something new!

Sapfo wrote a review...

A good poem, though there are some parts you could have left out, like "drip drip drop" and "snikt snikt snikt". I really like the hidden message, if I interpreted it correct (school massacre? Then again, the "I" person could be doing drugs? ). Keep writing! One tip: Try to make it more compact next time, it's a bit messy with all those lines with few words.

Moraca101 says...

The "drip drip drop" and "snikt snikt snikt" is a clue as to what happened. I understand that it doesn't sound quite right. I've never been good at flowing poetry. And yes, it is messy. I did it on purpose. The "I" person is not right in the head and sees their own life in jittery flashes. Their mind blocks out the rest. They hear dripping, the sound of sharp metal pieces sliding against each other, and the taste of "metallic jam." The person remembers these sensory things, but not anything else.

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.