Scream At Midday

by NewHope

A stack of poems beside me

Hours and thousands of words

All written on lined paper

All whirled and blotted down

***

A collection already

I smile

And my teeth glint

In the sunlight

***

Fingers chasing letters

As I type;

S c r e a m A t M i d d a y

I entitle

***

Mind flashing

Mind harassing me

With the thought

Of keen sharp pain spurting

***

Scream till it bleeds into nightfall

Continuing hysterically as you run around

That shrill wrathful maddening wail 

Rocketing across the house

***

Scream at midday

When the Sun's rays are brightest

Scream at midday

When it burns like oblivion

***

Pull it off and get an icepack

As my face distorts in worry

Legs numb with your pain

I can hear you crying

***

"Stop it, Frances. Stop it."

Mom accuses in dread

But I hardly hear it

Over our throb

***

Throat dry

As you're rushed away

But it still stings

And the icepack is clinging

***

They wrap it in bandages

And my hand stiffens

"The skin is gone and the nerve ends exposed."

Mom glares when she gets back home

***

My eyes widen

And I gulp

And swallow with guilt

Though I did nothing

***

Face squaring again that night

As they dab with Dettol

My hand squirming as I watch

"It didn't hurt. It was just cold."

***

But I wanted to cry, brother

You see, I love you

And I never want to see you hurt

And I'm always guilty of everything I don't do

LiviK wrote a review...

I love how you turned a story into a poem of this form. It's really amazing how you were able to make a simple situation into this heartful but an intelligent poem. In the beginning, it was a little bit confusing for me because I didn't quite understand what was happening but it was nothing that you did. It just took my brain a couple of minutes to catch on. Anyway, I'm very pleased with this and hope you continue to write them, because this is a great example of the poems we need today :D

NewHope says...

Thank you so much for the comment, I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier. I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed. It's obviously something that did happen and I seem to feel so guilty still because though my brother's okay I didn't do anything but sit there in shock. Thank you again.

SofieR wrote a review...

Hey there! Sofie here with a review :)

First off, I think you did a really great job on this! You've got a real knack for imagery. You really paint a vivid picture of what the character is doing/feeling/experiencing. I'm totally there, in the moment experiencing it as well!

Specifically, I really loved this line below ;

"Mind flashing

Mind harassing me

With the thought

Of keen sharp pain spurting"

For me, that's such vivid description of what it's like in a writer's mind, lol. Thoughts and Ideas constantly flashing and harassing us until we get them down on paper. Nice one!

"Legs numb with your pain"
Here's a good example of your great use of description! I can literally feel that legs numb, fight-or-flight feeling kick in.

Then the last three stanzas...Oh, man they really pulled on my heart strings.

"My eyes widen

And I gulp

And swallow with guilt

Though I did nothing"

I think this is so relatable. When somebody we care about gets hurt around us...even if it's not our fault in any way, we still feel a sense of responsibility somehow. As if we caused it. Or, if we didn't cause it we should, at the very least, know how to take the pain away. And it feels awful when we can't. Ugh.

"It didn't hurt. It was just cold."

OOF. Such a simple line, but packs a hard punch.

"But I wanted to cry, brother

You see, I love you

And I never want to see you hurt

And I'm always guilty of everything I don't do"

So simply put, but just very well said. Again, I think anybody...especially older siblings and parents...can very much relate to this sentiment. Great job! I can tell from this piece you're a very colorful and vivd writer. You really put the reader in the narrator's shoes and demand that they feel what they feel, see what they see and experience what they experience. That's not easy and you've got it down pat :) Can't wait to read more of your stuff!

- Sofie

NewHope says...

Thank you so much for your review, Sofie! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and that was able to paint the picture well. I'm planning to post another poem soon. Today, maybe tomorrow.

MaybeAndrew wrote a review...

Andrew here with a review! I am THE WORST at peorty, and I've never really reviewed it before... so I'll use on the review formats the figure things out, sorry if this feels a bit robotic
First impressions
There was a lot of cool imagery in here, I especially liked the lines:

All whirled and blotted down
and
Fingers chasing letters

Both feel dreamily real and well done, and make me feel that strange soft flowing reality poetry can do to my brain.
Critiques
I feel like the biggest problem in this poem was the continuity, I feel like there is this strange abrupt change near the beginning through from it being about you doing something to your brother getting hurt. I cannot claim that this was a problem, all I can claim is that things confused me. Was the first half supposed to be your day, and then it is interrupted by your brother getting hurt? Or was it our main character looking back on that the pain that was inflicted on their brother?
Like the line

As I type;

S c r e a m A t M i d d a y

I entitle

Confuses is me, is this a view of you writing the poem after the events of the story?
On that theme, I don't sense one solid theme or message that's being communicated throughout. Each stanza is well done, but they don't seem solidly connected to the next with a theme. There were glimpses of a good ones here and there thought. The main theme I pick up on is that strange pain of viewing pain from the outside. That almost guilt that everyone feels for being the safe, and not the inflected. That's a powerful theme. But then I feel like there are lines that are good, but do not serve that theme, like this one:
Scream at midday

When the Sun's rays are brightest

Scream at midday

When it burns like oblivion

Strengths
As I said, the spiraling language is like a slide I get on at the beginning and slide off at the end. I like that aspect of poetry, it's like I don't even have to do any work to be pulled along the well-crafted words.
I like it when the name of the poem is repeated it always gives a feeling of completeness, so I enjoyed that.
Also, the theme of viewing pain from the outside is one I'd want to hear more of. There's a lot of poetry exploring how it feels to be hurt, and less how it feels to watch hurt. My friend just lost his younger brother, and I have no idea how to interface with this distant hurt of viewing a much much worse hurt. All of this is accompanied by that guilt because it was him, not I, who was hurt.
Overall Thoughts
I enjoyed the poem, and just think it could be made more efficient and tight with a little editing
Thanks, and memento mori,
Andrew

NewHope says...

Hey there, Andrew,

The poem I wrote was actually about my brother getting burnt in real life if you were unsure. The sequence of events:
[list][*]Me typing up my poetry, a huge pile next to me.
[*]Screaming.
[*]Too afraid to do anything but have a dumb look on my face.

So the first three stanzas are all about my poems, a sort of build-up to what the title is telling us about. Next, then my brother gets a huge glob of glue from the hot glue gun, so that stanza where show my first feeling of "our pain". So it is running in the moments.

That second stanza you noted is all about my brother screaming, the room has glass sliding doors and is really sunny when it gets sunny and burns like oblivion describes the sensation of being burnt. It was almost supposed a lucid way of feeling that my brother is screaming it hurts so bad, burning almost if the Sun's rays are doing so.

I wish you luck with your friend, it really hurts when others pass. I've never experienced personally but I have experienced a family I had known my whole life, that literally lived with us for a year, that we paid school fees for just whisked out of our lives by the out of the blue abusive father.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

Thank you so much for your review
Lehmanf

Hail Hydra
— Stan Lee