Should have taken it back

by Moondeertribe

Your name is Roxy Lalonde and you are spending the night next to your used to be best friend, Jane Crocker.

Problem is, you used to love her with every fiber of your being. Even worse, she rejected you.

She invited you to spend the night after she found you in the outskirts of town, after dark, near her work place, you were disappointingly shit faced drunk and stumbling out of a local pub, the bar personnel were flanking your sides and roughly attempting to shove you with the best of their abilities into the cramped back of a taxi when she chimed in and took your hand, your alcohol hazed eyes staring dumbly at her before it registered to you who the person holding you was.

Jane Crocker, your best friend all throughout school. Wow you can’t remember the last time you saw each other, it must have been years! You lost contact with her after you got accepted into a prestigious college, leaving in the hope you would get over with your dumb pubescent crush and hopefully on the way get a job worth mentioning.

Over the course of the semester you met other people, and soon after that you thankfully forgot all about the love of your life.

You start to remember how sweet she was to you and a feeling you thought died out a long time ago begins to stir in your chest.

She smiles at you and you forget to breathe.

Shit not again.

You easily convince yourself to resist the urge to kiss her right then and there. You’re trained from years of literally swallowing down your emotions that you don’t even have to think about it anymore as you return a forced smile. You do, however, allow yourself give her a quick half assed hug and a half understood gargle of a greeting before she gently leads you to her car around the bend.

It’s a fucking miracle you manage to get into the car without falling flat on your face.

She takes you back to her place, all the way telling you of her dilemma with some kid called Jake you both knew in high school and how she’s been thinking of asking him out, despite the fact he seems painfully oblivious her blatant crush towards him. She runs a hand though her hair and bites her bottom lip, obviously distressed as she describes what she calls the excruciatingly blunt hints she’s been dropping for what sounds like decades. Hey Jake wanna bake a cake with me, hey Jake lets hang out, hey Jake you have a little something on your face let me get it, hey, hey Jake, Jake. Hey.

Although you can in fact sympathize with her, you really can’t help but to silently scoff at the irony of it all, partly smiling as she gestures wildly in that distinct manor only she could.

She asks you several times mid rant for your opinion on the whole thing, not really waiting for an answer before being set off again; You, of course, are inclined to disagree but instead you keep your mouth shut and opt to turn away and lean on the window, focusing on counting the blurring lights that stream through the lightly frosted window. You think you counted 36 cars when the car hits the driveway, she gives you a quick smile before getting out and circling around to you side, opening your door like the dashing gentle woman lady she is.

You smile like an idiot and give her a melodramatic curtsey of sorts, the simple movement of leaning down nearly knocking your drunk ass to the floor before Jane caught you, your infectious smile planting itself on her face as she gently leads you indoors.

You take advantage and allow your legs to go limp, nearly knocking both of you down into the ice encrusted yard like you would always do when you used visit and she laughs almost as loudly as you despite her semiserious protests.

You can’t believe this is for real happening. You cant believe you are actually here.

Once in the house, she sets you on the sofa, running off to the kitchen to fetch you a glass of water before you could get a word in. You smile and shake your head a little before redirecting your attentions to your surroundings, her quaintly decorated house littered with cookbooks and half scribbled papers with recipes on them; you cant help but to feel like it’s all strangely befitting of her. You pick up the nearest book and flip though it idly before she bursts through the kitchen door, water in one hand and a cookie in the other.

Oh hell yes.

You find yourself staring at her as she frets over you, studying her plump face, her adorable delicately shaped lips, and her pleasantly shaped, brilliantly colored eyes you remember so clearly it brings a smile to your face.

She’s just as pretty as ever.

After handing you both items she sets to work bringing out cushions and blankets to the living room, constructing a comfortable nest of sorts that she lays you in, playing a movie for back ground noise like she used to do when you were both kids, before settling in next you with that dorky smile that makes you melt.

You try hard not to tell her that you think you’re still in love her.

You try even harder not to cry when she admits that she missed the heck out of you.

You both lay there for a while in a warm and comfortable silence before you hear her breathing deepen, evening out to a slow rhythm.

Shit did she fall asleep?

You turn to your side and look at her gently snoozing face, her features soft and serene. A fuzzy and warm feeling of affection filling you the brim with the contented happiness you used to always feel when you were around her.

To be honest you didn’t think you could fall so quickly all over again.

You feel like it was just yesterday when you pulled her into the darkened corners of the 8th grade school dance and hugged her tightly, your height making it uncomfortable to hold her as you did. You remember how you leaned in close and whispered in her ear that you loved her. You remember the terrifying feeling of her stiffening up under you, your stomach churning as it had when you realized the mistake you had made, your mouth now opening to take back the words then said, emotions beginning to pile up inside of you once more.

Welp it is far too late now, she knows already. The damage is done.

You cringe as you replay the words that spilled out of her mouth after your abrupt confession, how she told you, flat out, that nothing would ever happen between the two of you. Although the words felt as if they ripped your heart right out of your chest and tossed it into an activated garbage disposal you can’t help but to appreciate and admire her bluntness all the same.

She didn’t lead you on as Jake had when he had a fling with you and then unwittingly crushed your feelings into the dirt, although you know you could never hate her even if she had.

You would never let a simple thing like love ruin what you have with her. Whatever that might be.

Even now you can’t help but to feel a spark when she locked eyes with you, her dazzling eyes never failing to bring color to your face. Just remembering her precious smile that grew after seeing you for the first time in a long time made you’re heart beat loudly in your ears, and regrettably gave you the smallest glimmer of hope that both of you could maybe be something more.

You sigh lightly and close your eyes before letting yourself drift off into sleep.

Here we go again.

Noelle wrote a review...

I'm not familiar with Homestuck so I am going to review this as if it was not a fanfiction. Not that it would've really been reviewed any different if I did know what Homestuck is, but I figured I'd at least point that out. Don't mind my ignorance of the characters and/or stroyline of Homestuck :3 Right, enough rambling from me.

Ooooh, a story written in second person?? I'm excited! That's not something you see very often. Can't wait to see what you make of it :)

I feel like this would be a good place to introduce the setting. I'm apparently spending the night next to Jane. But where are we? In her house? My house? On the streets? Alright, that last one is a bit drastic, but you get my point. We could be anywhere. It's important for visualization for you to share with us the setting.

This is one big run-on sentence. Where is the punctuation? I know that there is a lot of places in this paragraph where you can start a new sentence. For example, one place to break this sentence is at "when she chimed in". The subject of the sentence has shifted from me to her. I'm shit faced drunk, then she saves me. See how that's two different ideas?

You take advantage and allow your legs to go limp, nearly knocking both of you down into the ice encrusted yard like you would always do when you used visit and she laughs almost as loudly as you despite her semiserious protests

Here's another run-on that can be split using the same idea.

Quick nitpick:
Shit not again.

This sentence will work a lot better with some sort of punctuation in it. Whether it be a semi-colon or a comma. Just something that will separate the exclamation, "shit", from the "not again". The sentence as it is now just runs together too quickly.

Overall this is a good story. It's a sweet story about a woman that the reader is supposed to have missed and fall in love with. There are some times when I really felt the emotion and other times when it just fell a bit flat. I think that because you wrote this story in second person, you've lost a lot. Let me explain:

Second person is very hard to pull off in the first place. In order to really write it well, you have to enforce emotion onto the readers and really get them to feel something. That can work well when the main character can be either male or female. However, here it seems weird that I, a female, is reading about how I'm supposed to be falling in love with another female. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against anything like that by any means, but it just didn't hit me the right way. I wasn't buying into the story because it's not how I am. Expecting me too feel these feelings towards someone I'd never share these feelings with just didn't work for me.

Because of that, I feel like this story would work a lot better as a first or third person POV. My main concern is that only a select few people will actually be able to relate to this. I was trying to imagine Jane as a guy, but it was hard to do. So those feelings just weren't there for me. Funny enough, I had this huge crush on this boy named Jake back when I was in high school so I perked up when I saw that name :3 Also, with it being written in third or first, you can really dive into the MC's mind and explore their thoughts and feelings. Second person is a very limited view. You can't really explain our thoughts and feelings to a certain extent because you don't know exactly how we'd act or feel in that certain situation. However, you do know how your MC would react.

I do have to praise you on the way you wrote this, however. There's a nice balance here between feelings and the actual story. It's like every time "my" thoughts focus on a memory or something other than Jane, I realize something and my attention turns back to her. I really like that. It shows that the entire story, and my entire life at this moment, revolves around her. She may be a friend that I've lost since going away to college, but she's one I never forgot. I can really see this in your story.

Your descriptions are pretty good as well. I could really envision what was going on around the characters in the story. That's one thing that really makes second person POV work. You have to convince the reader that they are truly in the story based on what's around them; the setting. If I can't envision myself being at that exact spot, how do you expect me to buy into the entire story?

**Noelle**

Soulfulwriter wrote a review...

There is a lot of emotion with this story. How she feels about the girl that use to be her best friend. I can really relate to this, except the part where confessing love to her. I didn't do that until she got engaged but the feel was long gone then. Didn't even realize she felt the same way...made it worse. But, all in all, emotion was there and just seems like being around her made her happy.

Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi