Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Realistic

All about vegetarianism.

by MoonIris

Have you ever wondered how much you really know about vegetarianism? Being a vegetarian is not just about what you eat, it’s a lifestyle, so in this article I’m going to tell you what vegetarianism is and what’s the difference between vegan, the different types of vegetarian, how it helps the planet, how it affects our body and how to become a vegetarian. There are going to be some personal notes from my experience and official references as well.

First of all, what does vegetarian mean? It’s important to know before discovering more about it. The dictionary definition would be „A person who does not eat meat or fish, and sometimes other animal products, especially for moral, religious or health reasons”[1], while vegan is slightly different and because of this there are some confusions between them. Vegans are people who don’t eat or use any animal products[2]. It’s important to keep the difference in mind before getting into the types of vegetarianism.

I’m going to present to you seven types of vegetarianism.

• 1.Lacto-vegetarians are people who don’t eat meat, but milk-based products.
  • 2.Ovo-vegetarians - these are people who allow consumption of eggs but no dairy products.
  • 3.Lacto-ovo vegetarians are a combination of the first two. They eat milk products, eggs but no meat.
  • 4.Pescatarians eat fish but no other type of meat. They also eat eggs and dairy products.
  • 5.There are also pollotarians, who don’t eat red meat or pork products.
  • 6.Flexitarians are people who limitate their consumption of animal products.
  • 7.And last but not least, the raw vegans. They are just like vegans, but do not eat any cooked products.

None of the types is better than the other. You need to choose the one that best fits you and your needs.

Another really important thing about vegetarianism is that it helps the planet. But how? There are a lot of reasons but this is my top 3 most important ones. To begin with, it avoids global warming. In its 2006 report, the United States reached the conclusion that raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gases than all the vehicles in the world taken together.[3] Furthermore, it saves a large amount of water. The approximate quantity of water necessary for a kilogram of meat is from 13 000 litres to 100 000 litres while for 1 kilogram of wheat, it’s somewhere between 1 000 and 2 000 litres.[4] The difference is significant. Moreover, it helps limiting deforestation. For this, I chose an example - the Amazon forest. 1 350 square metres are being cut every second. There are many reasons behind these action, but the main one is to make space for soya agriculture, the product of which is then fed to animals that are later killed so they can be sold to us. This is not the only place affected by this kind of deforestation.

As I already pointed out, there are various reasons. You can check this site for more information on this:

owntoearth.org/go-veggie/environment/top-10-reasons#:~:text=First%2C%20greenhouse%20gas%20reductions%20through%20a%20vegetarian%20diet%20are%20limitless.&text=Second%2C%20a%20shift%20in%20diet, technologies%20that%20emit%20carbon%20dioxide

You should know that being a vegetarian affects our health, either in a positive, or a negative way. If we are careful and we get proteins from other sources, then there should not be any negative effects, but that is not always the case. I am going to present to you both the good and the bad aspects of adopting a vegetarian lifestyle.

We should start with the positive ones. This diet is mostly chosen by athletes because it will give you a boost of energy. You will also get more nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants and healthy fats. Another benefit is lower blood pressure and a reduced risk of heart attack. And, of course, as I mentioned earlier, it helps the enviroment, which is very important nowadays.

Now, although I am a pro vegetarian, I consider it is my duty to warn you of what could go terribly wrong if you do not pay enough attention to all the implications.

According to certain studies, vegetarian nutritionists and mental health reaserchers found out that vegetarians are 18% more likely to suffer from depression, 28% are more prone to anxiety attacks and disorders and 15% are most likely to be in a depression mood. Unfortunately, there have not been found any specific reasons to this. On a personal level, although I had a mild form of anxiety prior to going vegetarian, I found it did not worsen

You may also have vitamin defficiency, so you need to be really careful to replace the proteins from meat. If not, you may suffer from fatigue, diarrhea, loss of taste and smell.

You may as well have heavy gas. Excess gas is a really annoying side effect as it can make you feel uncomfortable and lead to awkward moments in public.

To learn more about this negative side you can go to https://lifesum.com/health-education/going-vegetarian-be-aware-of-some-possible-side-effects/#:~:text=Choosing%20a%20vegetarian%20diet%20is,heart%20attack%20and%20other%20ailments.

These are a couple of sites that will help you learn more about what aliments you should eat to replace meat:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/protein-for-vegans-vegetarians

http://www.eatingwell.com/article/289961/top-vegetarian-protein-sources/

I have been a pescatarian for half a year and a flexitarian for over two years. Personally, I didn’t experience any of the negative side effects.

Now, if you do want to become a vegetarian, how do you actually do it?

First of all, you need to talk to someone. It can be a doctor, a nutritionist, a member of your familly, or even a friend. They can warn you when you are not eating enough or if you should stop.

You cannot become a vegetarian overnight. It’s a process that takes time. You could start by limitating the animal products you eat or use. Then, cut them off completely, but not all of them at the same time. You can start by being an ovo-lacto vegetarian or a pescatarian. You need to choose based on what fits you the best.

You need to gather as much information as possible because it is very important you know what you are getting yourself into.

You should also be aware of the fact that you can’t make the people around you vegetarians so you might end up eating next to someone who eats meat and it’s ok to eat some if you really want to. You also need to know that if you eat meat after a long time your stomach might not be able to digest and you will feel sick.

Going vegetarian is more complex than people think, but it is easier to give up on meat if you take it step by step. As in most cases, there are positive and negative sides to it. You need to be careful and make sure you’re well informed on your choice. From my experience, I can tell you that the positive change can be felt and the planet will thank you. 😊

[1] www.Oxford dictionary.com

[2]

[3]

[4] owntoearth.org/go-veggie/environment/top-10-reasons#:~:text=First%2C%20greenhouse%20gas%20reductions%20through%20a%20vegetarian%20diet%20are%20limitless.&text=Second%2C%20a%20shift%20in%20diet, technologies%20that%20emit%20carbon%20dioxide

JesseWrites wrote a review...

Hello there,

I am not vegetarian, so this is pretty cool to learn about. It's educational and I love me some knowledge that I never knew before. I'll begin now,

I like how you added the risks of mental health in because that is totally needed. It can get overlooked, so good on you. Also, the mention of it taking time is great because a person who wants to become vegetarian could go through things.

I think that listing of sites in the middle of the article could've been cleaned up more. it's just a string, so maybe put it somewhere else because it doesn't look too hot.

A 'flexitarian' is also quite interesting. i would've loved a little more on that.

Have a good day,
Haley.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:04 pm

Interesting article!

I would argue that you don't actually need to cut out everything one by one if you've done your research. There's no reason you couldn't go from eating all kinds of meat one day to none the next providing you make sure to supplement your B12 intake and make sure you're getting enough protein from sources like lentils!

In terms of the actual essay content I found it interesting, but I see you have lots of links here. I think it would really flesh out your essay and add more depth if you were to briefly talk about what's in the link and then reference it at the bottom like you have for other sources.

Also a couple of nitpicks

Being a vegetarian is not just about what you eat, it’s a lifestyle, so in this article I’m going to tell you what vegetarianism is and what’s the difference between vegan, the different types of vegetarian, how it helps the planet, how it affects our body and how to become a vegetarian

This is a super long sentence. As it's near the beginning of your essay I would suggest splitting it into several shorter sentences to really draw your reader in!

Unfortunately, there have not been found any specific reasons to this.

I would change this to 'unfortunately, no specific causes of this have been found.' I found this fact really interesting though - are there perhaps links to micronutrient deficiencies or a change in the gut microbiota?

I'd love to see more detail put into this (although perhaps that's my nutrition degree talking!)
A good start though, and definitely gives people something to think about.

Icy.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:28 am
mememimer wrote a review...

Hi @MoonIris !

A really good article! There's so much I learn't from it (even though I'm a vegetarian hehe). I actually like the vegetarian lifestyle. It's healthy, plus I love animals. Talking about that, there's so much animal cruelty and abuse that takes place, in the process of animals being used for consumption. That is one of the reason that turned me into a vegetarian. Yes, I used be a non vegetarian. But things change.
I liked the fact that you cared to share the types of vegetarians as I learnt from it. And how being vegetarian impacts the environment, that you brought out along with the statistical data, is also amazing.

Best wishes,
I

MoonIris says...

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:12 pm
thepages says...

Ths was enlightening, personally i don't eat meat, i aint sure if this grades me as vegetarian. I have no health/religious issues with it, but jst dnt like the taste, i really find the taste of meat off.
Ma older bro. Usually plays mr.know it all ima read him the types of vegeterians, i bet he'll be suprised, lol :-D
nice article

MoonIris says...

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
— Mitch Hedberg