z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Taxidermist

by Moo



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
218 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 218

Donate
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:17 am
dissonance wrote a review...



Hello hello. I doubt you will see this.

So shape poetry! Love it so much. I think it's hard to form an actual image with just words, so it's really cool to see it on YWS! I don't think I've ever reviewed a shape poem honestly because they intimidate me greatly. I don't think I've ever written one successfully as well because it gets me tired very quickly. I'm not personally not one for any kind of shapes added to my poetry because it doesn't fit my style I think.

Anyway, relating to shape, I'm not exactly sure what this is? I believe it's some kind of animal of sorts, which is in tune with the entire theme. I get that it's hard to create shape poems and have them be exact to whatever you wanted to replicate, so I'm not that stressed on this, but I think that this could a little more defined - around the mouth more specifically, because there it just happens to jut out for reasons I can't place, and then around the ears because they also happen to jut out a little I think.

I see someone saying that it's a deer, so I'll just stick with that. I doubt you'll reply to this, so I guess it will forever just be a deer to me now haha. I do in fact see a deer in the shape now that I mention it to myself, but I'd say still, it's a little blurry around those key spots I mentioned, but that's probably because of the complications that come along with actually formatting concrete poetry and how it will never be spot on.

Also that last line is just beautiful. It really hits the target perfectly, that the animal being killed just for the sake of becoming a taxidermal prize is going through a lot. I think it can tie in with a lot of moral things too, if you were to look at it from the perspective that the deer stands for more than just a deer and reflects on deeper causes. It can go hand-in-hand with hunting and gun laws and stuff that's like that I think.

That's all I have for you. Happy RevMo!
-- chi




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 553
Reviews: 53

Donate
Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:46 pm
CuriosityCat says...



This is beautiful! I love how delicate it is, and how it's written from the deer's point of view! <3




Moo says...


Thanks for your comment! :)



User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 10:04 pm
Dracula wrote a review...



This is absolutely fantastic! I love how you created the deer shape.
The ear did make it a but difficult. Maybe you could have the poem running from left to right, so at the start you're switching from eat to ear.

I've never been one for taxidermy myself and I often found it to be barbaric. I have to say those last lines really changed my view on it. So well done! I really enjoyed this.




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 345
Reviews: 8

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 3:52 pm
pjkio03 wrote a review...



This is really clever! I always love to find poetry that takes interesting shapes and formats. I really like how you made characters of the animal, taxidermist, and his wife. My favorite part is probably when you said "back into the shape of death that you had found so beautiful."

This poem provokes emotion and it's very well put together. The only thing I would really say is try to find some way of dividing the parts of the poem. While the shape is interesting, I feel a little lost in the wall of non-separated text.

Also, I'm having trouble finding how the other ear fits into the poem. I'm not really sure what advice to give you there, maybe try to find some way to make it where both the ears flow into the head and the first line of the head fits with both ears.

Anyways, it's a good poem and I'm glad you submitted it. I hope to see more like it in the future :)




Moo says...


Hello pjkio and thanks for stopping by to comment! I really appreciate what readers have to say.

I have to disagree on dividing the poem; it wouldn't have a shape then, and the shape is the most integral part to this piece. Without the shape, we couldn't tell what animal the taxidermist is working on;it helps to contextualise the piece. While I do understand a block of text can be intimidating, it was a necessary evil in this case, haha.

Which ear are you having trouble with? I guess it was a structure choice by me; I focused on the deer by describing each individual part. The eyes are discussed where an eye would be, as with the muzzle, the spine, the skull etc. For this reason, I wrote the ears as seperate; it's an arrangement of different pieces that recreate the animal. I am sorry if you found this confusing but the ears are meant to be read as seperate 'stanzas'.

Thank you for stopping by! if you would like me to read over something of yours in future, please don't be afraid to send me a PM.

M



User avatar
113 Reviews


Points: 307
Reviews: 113

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 3:47 pm
Sherri wrote a review...



Hi again, Moo, it's Sherri :)
I will admit that taxidermy kind of freaked me out before... it doesn't freak me out as much now, since you've put it into a kind of beautiful perspective. Thinking about it like this, you make it seem more like an act of respect and care for the animal, not the after-death body-sabotage I was thinking it was! So wonderful job with that!
The shape is cute, and I feel I have to give you a virtual high-five for making the poem flow so easily and naturally despite the formation.
I loved your imagery and flow, and enjoyed how detailed you were on what a taxidermist had to do to get the animal's body back to how it was before death.
I didn't see any grammar or spelling errors, so that's just about it!
Great job! I really love your work :) Can't wait to see what you write next!




Moo says...


Hi Sherri!

Wow, I'm glad what I've written had such an effect on you. You gleaned the meaning I was going for perfectly, which is amazing. I'd just like to thank you for stopping by to comment; any and all comments are much appreciated on my part.

If you'd like me to leave a quick comment on something of yours in future, don't hesitate to contact me.

M




If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke