z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Faerie hollow

by Midnightmoon


A rippling stream, a soft and mossy bed,

A ring of trees, a thicket of vines,

A full moon shining bright as day,

Shedding it’s silvery light in this secret hollow.

What comes here? Whispering voices start to sing,

Adding to the charm.

The moonbeams start to dance, 

The voices come forward,

Faeries! Silent, mysterious and beautiful faeries!

Linking hands they surround the hollow, waiting.

Waiting for what? Ah!

Here she comes, the most beautiful of all,

The faerie queen enters, 

With a glowing gold crown on her head,

Flowers in her hair and shimmering wings.

Oh mystic hollow, the secret that you hold,

Must be kept, lest, for want to see these midnight revels,

Dangerous creatures come.

Then shall this charm be broke, and what a sadness it would be,

To have the faeries come no more.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 115
Reviews: 20

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:41 pm
RossiRainCloud wrote a review...



wow mockingjay you did amazingly wonderful ;D
I felt like I was in this magical land as I read it, like I could hear the creatures!
And I love how you used all kinds of different words to describe everything,
you had no boring words, witch I loved!
You keep things interesting!
and when you talked about the setting and described it, within 2 seconds I was wanting to read it!
Truth be told, it was so good I was sad when it ended :(
The only thing was, the one lower case letter,
everything else was capitalized, except one letter,
not shore if that was intended or not but I will go ahead and tell you witch one it was.
"What comes here? Whispering voices start to sing,
adding to the charm"
I really do like that part just the "adding" I am pretty shore needs to be capitalized :)
But you did wonderful! pleas PLEAS do tell me when more of your work comes out!


Love, Gold.
Your biggest fan!

:D




Midnightmoon says...


Thank you! I'm not good at self editing. :D And I will definitely let you know when I post more.





Thank you so much!



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 1495
Reviews: 17

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 pm
CrimsonQuill wrote a review...



Hi there, Mockingjay! Crimson here for a review.

I'll preface this with a disclaimer of sorts - I can be very detailed, and that may sometimes come off as being nitpicky. If it seems that way, then I'm sorry and you're welcome. After all, the more I point out, the more opportunities you have to refine and improve you work.

That said... Let's dive on in and see what we've got .

A rippling stream, a soft and mossy bed,
A ring of trees, a thicket of vines,
A full moon shining bright as day,
Shedding it’s silvery light in this secret hollow.

I love this first part. It does a wonderful job of setting the scene. The line length works very well, but you might want to consider if splitting the final three words at the end onto their own line would serve better. Also, I feel like this should be a distinct stanza, with a break between the end of this and the rest of the poem.

I know some poets seem to abhor rhyming, and whether you choose to use it is up to you in the end. I personally love rhymes used properly, because they can really tie in concepts without making long wordy portions necessary. I'd say you could potentially reword a few of the lines here to introduce a rhyming scheme if you wished. As an example, you can slightly reword the line about the moon's silver light to read 'the moon's silver ray' to rhyme with the 'bright as day' line. This would also be predicated on you splitting off the 'in this secret hollow' onto its own line, however.

What comes here? Whispering voices start to sing,
adding to the charm.
The moonbeams start to dance, the voices come forward,
Faeries! Silent, mysterious and beautiful faeries!
Linking hands they surround the hollow, waiting.

I think these lines are a little too long to match with the previous section. If you like it this way, then awesome! However, you could split some of these lines in half to improve the form and add some clarity for readers.

Once again, I feel that this is a good place to add an empty line or paragraph to end the stanza and introduce the next part.

Waiting for what? Ah!
Here she comes, the most beautiful of all,
The faerie queen enters, with a glowing gold crown on her head,
Flowers in her hair and shimmering wings.

Again, some of these lines might be better served split into two lines. Up to you and your vision for this piece, though.

'Enters' is perhaps a lacklustre term considering the context, I think. You can use a more impactful description, like 'descends' or 'emerges', or something else entirely. 'enters' sounds like a stage direction more than a verb in this poem's ethereal context. It brings it too much back to the realm of the mundane, I feel.

Oh mystic hollow, the secret that you hold,
Must be kept, lest, for want to see these midnight revels,
dangerous creatures come.
Then shall this charm be broke, and what a sadness it would be,
To have the faeries come no more.

Once more, lines might work better split. Y'know.

This reads almost like an incantation, actually. The contrast of the modern English before with the mixing of some early modern English phrasing works fairly well. Thumbs up!

Overall:
So overall this poem carries a haunting feel, this vague sense of the ethereal that is well carried throughout. This could perhaps be added to with some more in-depth or pointed descriptions. Much of this relies on the reader's own imagination to fill in the gaps, and while that can work amazingly, it also has limitations. If you want to go beyond those, you can start by using descriptions that call upon more real sensations.'cold as ice', 'sharper than a rose thicket', 'cold steel', 'heavy as lead', 'smooth as mercury', 'deadlier than a viper' etc. You probably get the idea, so I'll stop. The point is, you can heavily influence how your readers interpret your descriptions by adding something they can compare the description to, an existing reference that they are likely to have some experience with.

You seem to be a little hesitant on the overall form of your poem, and I feel like you had some missed opportunities to tie things together with carefully placed rhymes, but it was very much what it seems like you wanted it to be.

I enjoyed reading this, and I hope to see more from you!

Cheers,
Crimson.




Midnightmoon says...


Thanks. I will definitely edit this poem. What you say makes a lot of sense. I'm not good at self-editing. :D



CrimsonQuill says...


Most people aren't, don't worry! It's mostly a matter of working with it till you get something you really like. (And then sometimes getting a fifth opinion, just to be sure, if you're really paranoid like me, heh.)



User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 174
Reviews: 48

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:22 pm
CocoaCat wrote a review...



Sup, Mockingjay78! It's your girl, Caitlin, comin' at you!
I'm here to review your poem.
This was an incredible read, I really enjoyed it.
And your choice of words enhances the writing. Like; "Whispering voices start to sing, adding to the charm." I like that you used the word charm, it really captured my attention.
Or using personification on the moonbeams, saying that they started to dance.
Well, anyway, that is a wrap, peace out fellow writers!
Keep writing!




Midnightmoon says...


Thanks!




Surround yourself with people who are serious about being writers, and who will tell you, ‘Hey—you can do better than this.’ Who will be critical of your work, but also supportive. And who will not be competitive in a negative way.
— Isabel Quintero