Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

by Meta-Messiah

This book surprised me, I was expecting a very deep but nigh on unintelligible intellectual epic of a book. What i got was very deep and intellectual but a friendly book to read. The book follows the fall of Raskolnikov, a highly intelligent and idealistic student who, because of his poverty is forced to make an idealistic step and kill his cruel, unloved, money grabbing landlady. He reasons that she plays no positive role in the world, in fact she is a cancer that destroys all that she can get her hands on and thus only good will result from killing her. This leads to his guilt wracked fall and eventual capture. Ignoring the finer points of the story which i will leave for your own discovery, this book focus on what separates the ordinary man from the hero, how some men can step out defying the laws of society and change the world (be it for better or worse). I felt that crime and punishment deals with many deep and thought provoking ideas without ever straying from being a really enjoyable story, its still no light reading but there is much heavier out there. As an idealist this really struck a chord with me and i found myself relating alot with the character, I'm not quite sure whether that's a good thing or not really but hey. Another amzing thing about this book is how it manages to create an entire city of people without ever breaking stride, although remembering all those russian names can be a tad annoying sometimes.

Adios

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:13 pm
Meta-Messiah says...

Yeh i saw the machinist recently, i really enjoyed it, the length Christian Bale went to to get into the role was amazing, it was like watching an anatomical model, the ending was really good, i kinda saw the origin of the guy he was following but i didnt guess why he was so messed up (haha im being intentionally vague incase anyone reads this and i spoil the plot for them)

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:17 pm
BettyPaige says...

Have you ever seen The Machinist? If you like the Dostoyevsky feel to things I suggest checking it out. It stars Christian Bale about a Machinist...winkwink like the title.

Bett

Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:11 pm
Meta-Messiah says...

Sorry i was wrong about the landlady bit it was a pawn broker momentary lapse of memory on my behalf

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:10 pm
PsyLynx wrote a review...

I just so happen to be reading it now too, but I should tell you that, according at least to the translation I'm using, it isn't his landlady he kills but a pawnbroker. Aside from that, yeah. But...I get only one message from it, which is that when we decide with our minds what is good and evil is far, far inferior to deciding with our hearts. And the book gave me a new understanding of myself.

Still, I can't say that I share the feeling for it that you have.

"People should not be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
— V for Vendetta