16+ Language Violence

Hybrids: Chapter 4

by SkyVibes

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Sako was back to normal by the time the new person in charge started working. He was a tall man with brown hair starting to turn gray. He had piercing blue eyes and didn’t seem to ever be happy or content with anything in his life. Yagi thought he had to be the most miserable man on earth.

The night after they had met the man, who was to be referred to by Leader, Yagi and Sako sat down on their beds talking about him. Sako thought he was a demon from hell and called him Mr. Bossypants. Yagi thought less drastically. The man was just bitter.

Sako stood up and peered into the vent, “Maybe he’ll change some things though. I mean he has to have a heart, right? So maybe he’ll be different in a good way.”

Yagi rolled his eyes, “Doubtful. I doubt not one drop of blood in him is good.”

Sako sat back down. “Yeah, you’re probably right. Like I said, he’s a demon from hell.”

Yagi could hear Sako’s door suddenly open. Why were people out this late?

“Sakuro!” Doctor hissed. “What are you doing? I’ve already told you three times today to stay off that bed! Do you want to get in trouble with Leader?”

“No, but I-“

“No buts! Stay off that bed! I don’t want to see you get hurt. Do you understand?”

Sako sighed, “Yes, sir.”

“Good.” He closed the door and Sako could be heard throwing a book across the room. “I’m tired of these dumb rules. No one cares anymore if we stand on the bed. How else are we supposed to talk to one another? I don’t think either of us are gonna grow anymore to be seven or eight feet tall.”

“Just stay off the bed, Sakuro. It’s fine. We’ll just wait until it’s later at night.” Yagi said quietly.

“I hate waiting.”

“you’re just impatient.”

“And rightly so!” He shouted as he stood up again. “Yagi, This isn’t fair! We-“

“Sakuro! Get down!” Yagi shouted.”

The door opened and Sako jumped off.”

“I’m going to give you one chance to not act like a child and lie to me.” Leader’s voice growled. “Were you standing on that bed?”

Yagi could hear him take a step back. “No.”

“Is that the truth?”

Sako didn’t say anything for a second, “No, sir.”

“Sakuro, get over here.” Leader’s voice ordered.

Yagi could hear him walk over with fading footsteps.

“I thought we told you no more of that.” He said in a firm, scolding tone.

“But Yagi is my friend. We always talk to each other. We’ll go insane if we don’t. The other man let us-”

“I don’t care if you talk, I care about if you stand on that bed of yours. It costs lots of money and if you break it and fall, you’ll end up getting hurt. I can’t afford that to happen to anyone. You’ll learn to obey my commands. Hands on the wall.”

What?! You’re going to punish me for that?! That’s ridiculous!” Sako shouted.

Yagi couldn’t believe it either. It was a ridiculous thing here to get punished over.

“Hey! You can’t use that!” Sako said fearfully, “The other man before you only used a stick!”

“Sakuro.” Leader said firmly. “You’re testing my patience.”

Yagi shut his eyes as he heard whatever Leader used to hit Sako.

“Let this be a warning.” Leader said before he left.

The door closed and the lights switched off. It was just the kids left with patrollers roaming the halls now. They could do nothing more to them now. So, Yagi stood on the bed to see Sako standing looking straight at the door with his hands curled into fists. Tears covered his eyes from the pain but he refused to let them fall. He was mad at Leader.

“Sako?”

He fearfully looked at Yagi. “Get down. He’ll hit you too.”

“It’s after hours. They can’t do anything.”

He scoffed. “After hours. Yeah, sure.” He spat. He went on to mutter, “He’s supposed to stop after the second it. Not five.”

“Hey, come on. At least he didn’t take you into the room where they leave you for hours alone.” Yagi said, trying to stay optimistic.

“I’d take that any day over a belt.” He snarled.

“What?”

Sako glanced at Yagi, “What’s more is that he even hit my back once because I turned after the second hit because that’s when he’s supposed to stop.” He lifted his shirt to Yagi, “How bad is it?”

The mark of the belt was as clear as day. Yagi frowned. “It’s not good.”

He scoffed as he pulled his shirt down. And muttered to himself something Yagi didn’t understand. His friend began to pace. Shaking his head now and then as he continued to mutter.

“Well, at least they didn’t give you shock bracelets. Those are worse, remember? We used to be burned by them because they shocked our wrists so hard.”

Sako lost it. Yagi wasn’t sure exactly what made him as mad as he was, but he began yelling swears and throwing things in his room. He knocked over the table, and a chair, and broke the second chair when he smashed something in the bathroom. He flipped over his cot and kicked it as hard as he could. Then he went to his bookshelf and threw every single book as hard as he possibly could at the mirror he had. It cracked and he didn’t even notice in his rage.

When he did he had the most wicked smile on his face Yagi had ever seen him have. He actually scared Yagi. Sako pushed his dresser in front of the door and took the table and chair still intact and slammed them against the mirror.

“Sako! Calm down! Stop it! You’re going to hurt yourself!” Yagi shouted.

His room’s lights flicked on and people struggled to get inside. He laughed at them and picked up books as ammo. One man managed to open the door enough for a hand to get it and Sako threw a book right at it. The man cried out in pain and immediately pulled his hand back when the book made contact. Sako threw a book every time he saw them start to enter the room.

One man attempted to get half his body through the door and Sako watched him since he had run out of books. He looked at the mirror noticing its larger spider web of cracks and then slammed his shoulder against it as hard as he could. The cracks grew and he did it again. With every hit, he grew even more angry.

“Sakuro! Enough!” Yagi yelled.

When the man got in, Sako ran to the bathroom and locked the door. Things smashed inside and he laughed at the top of his lungs. It was like he had officially gone insane. The people flooded into the room and the men body slammed the door. It didn’t take more than three seconds to break the door open.

They pulled Sako out as he kicked, thrashed, and screamed. This wasn’t the Sako Yagi knew. They struggled to keep control of him as he jerked an pulled. Yagi knew if this was his friend, he wouldn’t have been trying to hurt them.

Sako bit one of the men on the arm and the man let him go with a cry of pain. Sako used his free arm to swing punches making contact often. Having enough, one of the three pulled out a tazer stick and turned it on. Sako looked at him ready to attack but needed the other two to free him to do any damage. He tried to bite the men holding him. The man began to taze him but even being tazed, Sako kept on. After the third shock, his body became stiff after each touch of the stick but it would take only a couple seconds for him to snap out of it and go back to attacking.

“Stay down, you animal!” The man with the taze stick yelled as he shocked Sako again. This time he kept the tazer on longer and Sako crumbled to the floor giving the men a better chance to get control of him.

Doctor came running in and tried as hard as could to try to stop the chaos, but it was pointless. But at least at this point, Sako was getting tired. He wouldn’t be able to keep this up forever. With every shock, he was becoming weaker and weaker. But even as he became weaker, he seemed to become angrier.

“I don’t know how much longer I can keep this up. I’ve already shocked him the max I’m allowed.”

Sako pushed the men off and went at the man who had been shocking him. He bit his jugular and the man screamed in pain, dropping the stick and trying to get Sakuro off. Sakuro continued to bite and Yagi stared in horror as he realized that even through the blood, it was easy to see Sako’s canines were more like fangs.

The other two men tried to pull Sako off but it was no use. Doctor pushed them away and held the tazer to Sako until he fell to the ground screaming and he kept the tazer there for a moment longer to make sure Sako would stay down long enough for them to restrain him. Yagi saw the hurt in Doctor’s eyes as he watched Sako lay there in pain waiting for the shock to disappear.

Doctor looked at the vent, left the room, and then a moment later Yagi’s door swung open. Doctor ran in and grabbed Yagi’s arm. “Come with me.”

Yagi did and he led me to Sako’s room. He glanced at the injured man resting against a wall with a hand to his neck. Doctor gestured to Sako, “I think you’re the only one who’s going to be able to do anything. He won’t listen to us. Just get him to calm down.”

Yagi cautiously walked forward. He had never seen him like this. Sako kept trying to bite them so much that they tied a cloth around his mouth to stop him. Yagi backed up a step as they tazed him again. Sako’s head lowered.

“Sakuro?” Yagi asked.

Sako growled and went back to struggling to get out of their grasp.

Yagi couldn’t’ take it anymore. He walked forward and slapped his friend hard across the face. Hard enough that his own hand began to hurt. “Sakuro! Stop it!” He hated the fact that his voice was trembling. Would Sako attack him too? “Snap out of it, Sakuro!”

The second paused and kept his face turned was the second the men needed to sedate Sako. As it took effect he just stared at Yagi and fell to his knees. This was the first time they had ever been in the same room together. Yagi would have been thrilled but this wasn’t his best friend.

This was someone else.

Yagi looked over Sako where he stood at a safe distance and then noticed a small line of something black falling down his sleeve and dripping off his hand onto the floor. Yagi walked forward and took his jacket off and realized what had happened. A piece of glass from the bathroom had cut him. As soon as Yagi had taken the jacket off it spilled faster. But why did his blood look black?

Yagi looked closer and he could see a piece of glass in his arm. He didn’t seem to even feel anything. Yagi tried to search for Sako’s eyes for any sign of his best friend. Yagi frowned when he couldn’t. “Sako….”’

Sakuro fell forward unconscious. Yagi gasped and caught him, and the people took him away but Doctor let Yagi come with them when they carried Sako out of the room. Doctor put his hand on Sako, “Thank you, Yagi.”

“Doctor, wait. There’s glass in his arm.” He hurried over to the bathroom and saw the shattered mirror with more black blood on it. Only one piece of the shattered mirror was missing, and Yagi was almost positive that it was the piece in his friend’s arm.

Stickied -- Mon May 22, 2023 3:05 pm
SkyVibes says...

If you would like to see drawings of Yagi and Sako please check them out on my wall!!

Kaia wrote a review...

This scene was inteeeeeennnnsssssssssseeee....You crammed a lot of emotion into it. At this point in time, you have really established a reader-character relationship. So, I sympathize greatly with the characters. But now that's getting turned on me, because these characters are going through A LOT. I mean, just the fact that they're locked in what I picture as being an underground vault illuminated only by sickish orange light for ALL of their lives. They know nothing but themselves and the cement walls around them. (Okay, that's MY mental image here. As I like to do in reviews, I'm sharing what I picture the surroundings/characters looking like. I have no idea how accurate these pictures are, but I thought you'd enjoy reading them.)

And all of that doesn't even touch the physical abuse. Of course, I know why most of this is, but even though I have that info ahead of all your other readers, I STILL feel mad. You can't beat someone for standing on a bed! I mean come on!! How cruueeeelll and totally thoughtless, heartless, and selfish!!

“I don’t care if you talk, I care about if you stand on that bed of yours. It costs lots of money and if you break it and fall, you’ll end up getting hurt. Hands on the wall.”

“What?! You’re going to punish me for that?! That’s ridiculous!”

Yagi couldn’t believe it either. Just like in the past, Yagi thought it was a ridiculous thing here to get punished over.

Yeah, it IS ridiculous! Yagi's feelings are completely understandable here. And Sako's too. Is this "Leader" blood-thirsty or what? And whoever would put him in his position anyway? Yikes!

Okay, enough venting on my part, lol.

He looked at the mirror noticing its larger spider web of cracks and then slammed his body against it as hard as he could. The cracks grew and he did it again.

I know I've already commented on how much I really like the descriptive detail of the cracks in the mirror, but I had to point it out again, because that was awesome.

Also, SUPER good job showing Yagi's terrified state of seeing his friend turn into a crazy beast for a minute. That was well portrayed as well as the moment when Yagi gets momentarily released to calm down Sako. That was cute, but so sad that Yagi had to see Sako like that. Nice conflict, and surprising and mysterious change on Sako's part. ;)

Overall, fantastic job here! You really hit it on relatability and emotion. Great job.

I do have a few errors I'd like to point out to help yuh out a bit. ;) Here goes...

Neither wanted to adress him by the name he had chosen for himself. Sako thought he was a demon from hell and called him Mr. Bossypants. Yagi thought less drastically. The man was just bitter. But either way, whether they wanted to call him Mr. Bossypants or not, they had to adress the man as Leader.

address is spelled a-d-D-r-e-s-s with two d's. ;)

Yagi rolled his eyes, “Doubtful. I doubt not one drop of blood in him is good. You saw him when he told us to adress him as Leader. He's demanding and rude."

Same thing here.

Doctor left the room and then a moment later my door swung open, “Come with me.”

You switched to first person for a second here at the word "my."

“He’s supposed to stop after the second it.

Quick typo. You want "hit," I think, instead of "it."

Okay, well that's it! See yuh in the next chapter. :)
-Kaia
P.S.
Did you know that sakura is a Japanese flower? @Rinisha told me about it in her awesome short story, Sakura. Apparently, Sakuro is also an uncommon Japanese first name. Did you know that or did you just make up the name on your own? I'm just curious. ;)

First Impression: Well I was thinking Sako was going to be alright and Leader was going to end up being the one that causes all of the problems but things took a very different turn there and wow this just keeps heating up more and more as we go on here.

Sako was back to health by the time the new person in charge started working. He was a tall man with brown hair starting to turn gray. He had piercing blue eyes and didn’t seem to ever be happy or content with anything in his life. Yagi thought he must be the most miserable man on earth.

The night after they had met the man, who was to be referred to by Leader, Yagi and Sako sat down on their beds talking about it. Neither wanted to adress him by the name he had chosen for himself. Sako thought he was a demon from hell and called him Mr. Bossypants. Yagi thought less drastically. The man was just bitter. But either way, whether they wanted to call him Mr. Bossypants or not, they had to adress the man as Leader.

Well that's quite the little conundrum here. It seems the arc surrounding Sako being sick is fully done now which makes me wonder if that was some sort of warning shot of bigger things to come and well our mysterious dangerous person is here now. Let's see what effect he is going to have here.

Sako stood up and peered into the vent, “Maybe he’ll change some things though. I mean he has to have a heart, right? So maybe he’ll be different in a good way?"

“Yeah you’re probably right. Like I said, he’s a demon from hell.”

Well that was quite the enlightening little conversation. I love how simple it is but how much information it gives us at the same time about both this Leader person and what these two have thought of him so far from their time with him.

Yagi could hear Sako jump off the bed and walk over with fading footsteps.

“I thought we told you no more of that.” He said in a scrict scolding tone.

Well that's establishing that whole situation pretty powerfully right there. Either this person is so terrified of whoever is behind things that he just sticks to all the rules or he really does not care for the people here as people but rather thinks of them as being useful in some other way that we're yet to learn about here.

“Sakuro.” Leader said firmly, letting Sako know this was his last chance to cooperate.

Yagi shut his eyes as he heard whatever Leader used to hit Sako and his friend's yelps of pain.

Well that definitely feels like its going to weigh heavily on everyone here and cause quite a bit of pain in the chapters to come. Leader certainly doesn't seem to the sort of person you can exactly reason with there. Let's see what will happen here.

The door closed and the lights switched off. It was just the kids left with patrollers roaming the halls now. They could do nothing more to them. So Yagi stood on the bed to see Sako standing looking straight at the door. Tears covered his eyes from the pain but he refused to let them fall. He was mad at Leader.

“Sako?”

He scoffed. “After hours. Yeah sure. Are you blind? Does it look like he gives a damn?” He spat. He went on to mutter, “He’s supposed to stop after the second it. Not five.”

Well that definitely doesn't bode too terribly well either. This is slowly going from bad to worse as we learn more and more about the kind of habbits that Leader has had through the brief time that Leader has happened to be in this one.

“Hey, come on. At least he didn’t take you into the room where they leave you for hours alone. That's the most severe punishment they can give us.”

“What?” Yagi asked in disbelief.

Sako glanced at Yagi, “What’s more is that he even hit my back once because I turned after the second hit because that’s when he’s supposed to stop.” He lifted up his shirt to Yagi, “How bad is it?”

The mark of the belt was as clear as day. “It’s not good.”

He scoffed.

Oh dear, well a belt definitely is the sort of thing leave a pretty clear mark. Its not going to end too terribly well for these two if they manage to keep trying to be rebellious like we saw them being earlier. It seems the Doctor's warning from earlier hasn't done its job.

“Well at least they didn’t give you shock bracelets." Yagi said, trying to give Sako something to be somewhat optimistic about. "Those are worse when it comes to pain, remember? We used to be burned by them because they shocked our wrists so hard.”

Sako lost it. Yagi wasn’t sure exactly what made him as mad as he was, but he began yelling swears and throwing things in his room. He knocked over the table, a chair, and broke the second chair when he smashed something in the bathroom. He flipped over his cot and kicked it. Then he went to his bookshelf and threw every single book as hard as he possibly could at the mirror he had. It cracked and he didn’t even notice.

Oh dear...well that doesn't sound good. Especially with the kind of background that we have just laid out right there, transitioning to a moment like that seems like a really bad idea for Sako, especially when Yagi was mentioning exactly how things could be worse.

When he did he had the most wicked smile on his face Yagi had ever seen him have. He actually scared Yagi from the look in his eyes. Sako pushed his dresser in front of the door and took the table and chair still intact and slammed them against the mirror.

His room’s lights flicked on and people struggled to get inside. He laughed at them and picked up books as ammo. One man managed to open the door enough for a hand to get it and Sako threw a book right at it. The man cried out in pain when the book made contact. Sako threw a book every time he saw them start to come in.

One man got half his body through the door and Sako watched him since he had run out of books. He looked at the mirror noticing its larger spider web of cracks and then slammed his body against it as hard as he could. The cracks grew and he did it again.

Oh wow, this has gone fully out of control here. I wasn't expecting an explosion of quite that magnitude to take place but wow things have really taken off here. I don't think Sako is going to be able to have anything return to normal after making a move quite as powerful as this one.

When the man got in, Sako ran to the bathroom and locked the door. Things smashed inside and he laughed at the top of his lungs. It was like he had officially gone insane. The people flooded in and the men body slammed the door. It didn’t take more than three seconds for them to get in.

Sako kicked and thrashed and screamed. This wasn’t the Sako Yagi knew. Sako never acted like this.

Sako bit one of the men on the arm and the man let him go with a cry of pain. Sako used his free arm to swing punches.

Doctor came running in and tried as hard as could to try to stop the chaos but it was pointless. But at least Sako was getting tired. He wouldn’t be able to keep this up forever.

Well it looks like the inevitable is happening as Sako continues this mini rampage. Now I'm wondering if there is some effect from some kind of drug going on here especially given Yagi's comments there. At any rate it looks like Sako is about to be overpowered and we're probably going to find out.

Yagi froze. He was being let out?

"Come on!" Doctor said. He grabbed Yagi's arm and pulled him out of the room. This wasn't the way Yagi had imagined being let out of the room finally after seventeen years, but he pushed the thought to the side and focused only on Sako. Doctor pulled him to his friend's room and gestured to Sako, “I think you’re the only one who’s going to be able to do anything. He won’t listen to us. Just get him to calm down.”

Ooooh well this is quite the moment. A momentous occasion for Yagi although of course he hardly is going to be able to savor it given the kind of situation that's forced them to make a choice to let Yagi out.

Yagi cautiously walked forward. He had never seen him like this. Sako kept trying to bite them so much that they tied a cloth around his mouth to stop him. He jerked and thrashed still as he tried to get out of thier grips while they then moved to ziptying his hands together to prevent another suprise attack.

“Sakuro?” Yagi asked. He hated the fact that his voice was trembling. Would Sako attack him too?

The second Sako stopped at his voice was the second the men needed to sedate Sako. As it took effect he just stared at Yagi and fell to his knees. This was the first time they had ever been in the same room together. Yagi would have been thrilled but this wasn’t his best friend.

Well that went according to plan. It was pretty clear the Doctor was hoping for exactly what just happened there and not necessarily expecting Yagi to actually come in and just de escalate the situation somehow with just words. I am also loving all the very messy emotions that Yagi is having to deal with here as a result of all of this.

This was someone else. Someone Yagi didn't want to be near.

He knew blood could be very dark but surely it wasn't supposed to look black.

Oh dear well that seems to be a sign of something for certain in terms of that disease. There is most definitely something going on there that goes beyond just Sako snapping in a moment where things became too much.

Saruko smiled before falling forward unconscious. Yagi gasped and caught him and the people took him away but Doctor let Yagi come with them when they carried Sako out of the room.

"Is he going to be okay?" Yagi asked.

Doctor only wrapped a comforting arm over Yagi's shoulders as they followed the others down the dark, dimly lit halls.

Ooooh well it seems Yagi is going to be allowed to see what happens next as we end on a lovely little cliffhanger here. Well, this is certainly spicing things up to yet another level.

Overall: Overall, things have just kept getting more and mysterious and Sako's illness there clearly has much more of a part to play than was being let on earlier. I definitely can't wait to see what this aftermath is going to look like in that next chapter.

Kate

I think that Sako is turning into something else. Either his full hybrid form or a demon form. If his full hybrid form, then maybe the situation he’s in caused it to happen. Maybe because he’s had bad things happen to him, Sako is only becoming a demon, excluding the angel form. Maybe Yagi will become a full angel, who knows?

I enjoyed this chapter. The art suits the characters nicely.

I wish you a lovely day/night.

SkyVibes says...

I'm glad you like the chapter and the art as well!!

As always, thank you for reading!

-Mercedes

MerleBlackbird wrote a review...

I knew things were going to get worse... Ahhhggghhh!!! But I wasn't expecting this!! Yagi must feel so lonely with his one and only friend suddenly not acting like himself. It's super sad that the first time they got to see each other up close, Yagi was scared and Sako probably won't remember it - if he ever even comes back to himself, which hopefully he does, because that would be very very sad he didn't. *crying emoji* And yes, Sako, I think you're right. Leader is a demon from hell, and he probably does not have a heart. This chapter hit hard *more tears* but I suppose things are likely to get worse before they get better. I just hope Sako will be okay. I really hope Yagi doesn't lose this person who means so much to him. But that whole black blood stuff sounds pretty bad, and it's definitely getting worse.

On a happy note, I do see you have put up a new chapter! I'm eager to read it, but I might save it for when I'm stuck waiting and bored later. I do want to reiterate, I've been very impressed with this story. It's been seriously so hard to find something on this platform that I really like - of course, that's practically a given as there are all kinds of genres on this platform and I'm such a picky reader -so this was very pleasing to find. :-)

SkyVibes says...

I%u2019m glad this chatter had the impact it did. I mean I don%u2019t wish for you to be sad from the chapter lol but I was trying to build that sympathy for the reader towards the characters.

Yes! Fortunately I had the points to post two chapters!
I%u2019m so glad you%u2019re impressed and thank you so much reviewing! It means a lot! I%u2019ve been so worried no one would like Hybirds%u2026
I%u2019m glad my book is something you like to read! :D

-Mercedes

Is anyone else desperately waiting to see themselves in the quote gen?
— TheCursedCat