z

Young Writers Society



A Day in the Life

by Melodie


Sitting in the cold and dark refrigerator, I feel the most comfortable. My little drawer is like a cave where I sit nestled in between the bologna and tortilla wraps with a sense of security.

But when the door opens and that horrid light flickers to life, I almost begin to perspire. The hand reaches in; I feel its threatening presence, and hopefully it grabs someone else, maybe the ketchup or the week old tuna salad (I hope.)

To my dismay, it’s my drawer that slides open. While I’m shaking in my little plastic bag, the warm, moist fingers clasp around me and pull me from my little hovel. I’m weeping now as the revoltingly, inconsiderate person nearly slams me down on the counter and reaches for a . . . no . . . a grater. I gulp and prepare myself for the excruciating pain. The evil contraption edges toward me and ever so slowly, my back is grated away onto the salad below me. I guess this all comes from being what I am, but there’s still no reason to force me to tears every couple of days. I’d like to hear a, “Sorry I mercilessly scraped the very skin from your back for my own eating pleasure,” but no, there’s never any of that.

When they’ve finished, I get put back in my little bag and into my drawer, knowing that I’ll be sore for the next few hours. But I will get over it after all is said and done. At least I’m back among the lunchmeat.

So I sit here in my drawer and contemplate how truly dreadful my life really is. Once I do get over it, it’ll happen again and again and so on and so forth. They all take and take from me for themselves and don’t say a word or even realize they’re doing it. Ironic isn’t it? I give; essentially, myself to all of them without a fight and they give absolutely nothing to me accept pain and my tragic fate.

My doom sums up to the fact that everyday I get smaller and smaller. Eventually I’ll be nothing. They’ll kill me off or forget about me and throw my moldy carcass in the trash bin.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Lyrical says...



I thought the beginning was really good, really effective. It didn't flow as well towards the end, but it certainly makes you think! It's nice to be made to see something from another point of view.




User avatar
267 Reviews


Points: 1050
Reviews: 267

Donate
Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:52 pm
Boni_Bee wrote a review...



This was good, but there's something about it I don't like...and I can't work out what it is :? I think it needs a bit more emotion (whatever emotion cheese has), but yeah......




User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 26

Donate
Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:16 pm
Melodie says...



Thanks, I appreciate the compliments!




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 19

Donate
Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:18 am
amoerizzle wrote a review...



I thought this piece was great! It really grabbed my attention and held on. I love those pieces that have so much great imagination poured in and leave you thinking "Wow! This person is creative!" I'm sorry that this wasn't much of a critique. But I really enjoyed it.





"Do not try to be pretty. You weren't meant to be pretty; you were meant to burn down the earth and graffiti the sky. Don't let anyone ever simplify you to just 'pretty'"
— Suzanne Rivard