Gotham v. Joker, 1894 (Chapter Four) [Extended]

by MeherazulAzim16

Batman kicks open the double door of Crane’s lab, desperately hoping it’s not too late—the doors creak back and thud against the walls. The place has been ransacked. “It’s too late,” he says to himself, sniffing at a variety of strong chemical smells.

Batman looks around; the lab is large and has a dome shaped roof. He notices a curled up Crane, cowering at the feet of some wooden chairs in the center of the room. A syringe is hanging off his neck, yellow and half-empty. Batman makes his way to him, walking around broken lab tables and destroyed equipment. Crane is still conscious but in a state of delirium. Batman kneels down to examine him. There are bruises all over his body, likely from Nightwing’s escrima sticks.

“You broke the deal, Crane,” Batman says, shaking his head. “Despite the warnings, you’ve been synthesizing SCRO again.”

“You were supposed to protect me!” Crane manages to utter as his eyes beseech for light. “That was the deal. Instead you sent your boy after me.”

“I didn’t send anyone. There was break in at—”

“I’m aware,” Crane says, gradually gaining back his mental stability. “Your boy delivered quite a monologue about it!”

Batman helps Crane sit up and carefully removes the syringe. He inspects it, turning it around in his hand.

“Anyway, he had a theory,” Crane continues. “That the new batch of SCRO somehow entered my system and reawakened the Scarecrow. In fact, he believed it to be true. He even tried to extort an admission out of me, like… hearing me say it was going to fix everything.”

“What was in the barrel?” says Batman. He holds up the syringe.

“Oh, you know,” Crane begins. “A highly concentrated doze of the toxin that Nightwing made me prepare at stick-point. I did as he demanded and offered the syringe to him, in hope of mercy—not my smartest move. He stabbed me in the neck with it instead. Justice, he called it.

"It was actually too high a doze to turn me berserk—quite a tricky drug, eh?—but there will be other dire ramifications.” Crane vigorously rubs his eyes, frustrated at how long it’s taking for his cognition to return and unsure if it ever will. “I’m done for, aren’t I?”

Batman is dumbfounded at the revelation. Could Richard really have gone this far? No, he can’t waste time being in denial.

“I need answers,” Batman demands. “Whoever caused mayhem at Arkham used the fear toxin. There is no doubt about that. How did they get their hands on it?”

“I’m afraid I have an explanation.” Crane sighs. “A dozen cartridges were stolen last week.”

“What?!” Batman says, frantically standing up, as if in a second he has lost all the patience he had for the professor. “How could you let that happen? And why on earth am I hearing about it only now, Jonathan?”

“You know I couldn’t have reported it to the police,” Crane says, tentatively. “And I couldn’t tell you, Batman, because then you’d find out that I went around our deal. I had every reason to fear you’d act in the same way that your boy did!”

Overflowing with rage, Batman feels a kind of need to let off some steam. It’s like he’ll suffocate if he doesn’t. No… he’ll explode. He must break something or… someone, and he has to do it now. There is no fighting this instinct, but he’s Batman, so he tries anyway. It only makes his world take on a redder tint. Screaming, he lifts the nearest chair and smashes it into the floor, wood pieces taking off in every direction. There… that feels much better. He can breathe again. His world retains its natural hue.

“Your outburst is only proving my point, detective,” Crane says, his lips quivering and his body cowering.

Batman scowls in response. “Do you even realize how many lives were lost because you couldn’t let go of one damned project?”

“I dedicated my whole life to it! What did you expect me to do?”

“Clearly, I expected too much, Jonathan.” Batman sighs and strides toward the exit. “You’re done.”

As Batman leaves the lab, he wonders, “For a moment there… I truly lost control. That can't happen again.”

He realizes another thing: Richard still has the Batmobile. God knows what he’s going to do next.

***

“Why did I ever think it would be a good idea to come back to Gotham?” Richard yells to himself. He is driving at full speed, top gear. Or rather, his body is. His mind is too occupied to be bothered with that right now. He doesn’t know what street this is or if he’s even in Gotham anymore. He has been driving for a while now.

Barbara is gone. Just like that. He’ll never hear her speak again. She is dead. She has ceased to exist, like an ice cube that has sublimed away. It’s like there is this void in the world that will never be filled. A void that has replaced her. It’s not supposed to be there. It’s so wrong. It’s so wrong for this void to be there. It feels so wrong that this is happening.

“God!” Richard screams, viscerally, his vocal folds wincing. His whole body wants to burst into pieces rather than live on in this reality. This is exactly how he felt when both his parents died in the same night. All the pain he felt then and all the pain he is feeling now are amalgamating, forming a fork made out of a thousand teeth and slowly digging into his brain. It hurts. It hurts like hell. He bangs in his head against the steering wheel and keeps it there, the horn going off like a buzz saw, daring to match the raging noise of the car engine.

Why did I ever think it was a good idea? he wonders, his forehead still pressed against the horn button. Maybe it would’ve hurt less if I heard the news by letter or in a newspaper. But I don’t know that. I might have felt that I could’ve done something if I was in the city … Well, I was in the city, wasn’t I? What was I able to do? Nothing. I was this close to her. Barely a few kilometers away.

The car just banged against a fruit cart and cracked it apart. The wheels loudly squash a load of raspberries and bananas on the spot. But Richard, with his back still bent and head hanging by the steering, doesn’t know that. From what he interprets as the sound of limbs being flattened, he thinks he just killed or at least badly hurt someone. It gets him to put his eyes back on the road. He really wants to stop the car and go back to check but his body won’t let him.

Richard takes a long and deep breath. He lets it out, slowly, as patient as ever. He takes a full breath again and repeats the process, trying to calm himself down. The moment he start to get a hold of himself, he gears down, decelerating the car, and takes a look around. From the concentration of slums on both sides of the streets, he guesses that he is in the Narrows now. Looking off into the distance, he spots a flock of crows flying just above a drying canal, rare beams of winter sunlight glistening off of the water.

I have to leave this place, he thinks. He also considers staying till they catch Joker or hunt the monster down himself. But if he gets the clown within his grasp, he knows he will do something he will regret later. He has to leave. There’s no two ways about it.

Travelling can be expensive, from the tickets he’ll have to buy to the rents he’ll have to pay once he settles somewhere else. But Richard has an idea. He is in the Narrows now, the base of Gotham’s black market. There is no reason why he shouldn’t be able to sell the Batmobile for parts. He doesn’t even feel guilty considering this option. After all, Bruce is as responsible as anyone for Barbara’s death. Selling his precious car to criminals is the least Richard can do to him.

Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:36 pm
SalemReine wrote a review...

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night! Wren here, back on a break for another review!

First off: Goodness last time you killed Barbara, that's really going to affect everyone and I'm guessing in this chapter Richard is going to try to get revenge!

There are bruises all over his body, likely from Nightwing’s escrima sticks.
I wonder if that's normal or it happened because he was emotional?

his eyes beseech for light.
This word "beseech" doesn't really seem to flow or fit here, I would recommend a different one like "hunt" or "search," but of course you can keep the one you already have!

He even tried to extort an admission out of me, like… hearing me say it was going to fix everything.”
Definitely emotional then.

but there will be other dire ramifications.
Wow, not a good sign for where Richard's head is at... but the way you show his grief without his character actually being there is extremely good!

This whole paragraph is done so well, it's a really good explanation for what death feels like and the reader can also see how Richard is experiencing it in waves or punches!

From what he interprets as the sound of limbs being flattened, he thinks he just killed or at least badly hurt someone. It gets him to put his eyes back on the road. He really wants to stop the car and go back to check but his body won’t let him.
This part really shows how deep his grief is, that he won't even check to see if he killed or injured someone with his (Batman's) car!

But if he gets the clown within his grasp, he knows he will do something he will regret later. He has to leave.
At least he's not too far gone!

After all, Bruce is as responsible as anyone for Barbara’s death. Selling his precious car to criminals is the least Richard can do to him.
How is he responsible...? And that's not a good idea Richard, come on!

Overall: Another excellent chapter that really displayed both Bruce's and Richard's grief! Thank you and continue to write good things!

Thank you, Wren! I'll try!

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:18 am

Hello again!

Sorry for taking such a long time to review this. As you’ve probably noticed, I’m only sporadically active on YWS, so you can expect me to review in random spurts and then vanish for long stretches. But I have some time right now, and I’m happy to be returning to this story because this was an entertaining chapter!

I think the best moment came toward the end, when Batman had his breakdown. You did a very good job illustrating that: the detail about the world changing color, and him being able to breathe only after he’s caused some destruction, was really good. It painted a clear picture in my head and it gave your take on Batman more flavor. I do wish that part had been a little longer—I feel like you could’ve dragged it out more, had the moment linger—but that would be my only critique. It was impressive, and I’m really intrigued by how your Batman is beginning to take shape. I like that we see him fighting against some violent urges and barely keeping his temper restrained. It makes him feel real and fleshed out, and it’s also a nice contrast to the cool-and-collected Batman we tend to see depicted in media.

We also got some solid Batman-Crane interaction. I’ve told you before that I like your dialogue and the ways you have characters engage with each other, so I won’t restate that praise again, but suffice it to say I enjoyed that in this chapter too. I also felt like this entry improved upon some of the weaknesses in prior installments—there were some legit descriptions here (I could’ve used more, but there was enough imagery to visualize things), and you mostly showed rather than told. This was another itty-bitty chapter though, and by virtue of that, not a lot happened and the single scene wasn’t particularly long. But the pacing didn’t feel off to me: the flow seemed fine, it didn’t come across like you were rushing through things most of the time (though, like I said, I do wish you’d lingered more on Batman’s breakdown—pivotal moments like that are always a good time to pause and let things simmer). So, I think the pacing was okay in this particular entry—I can believe that the conversation Batman had with Crane would’ve been brief (obviously he wouldn’t want to stick around and enjoy some small-talk), and you could say that the shortness of the chapter reflected that—but definitely don’t be afraid to slow down in the future. Work on extending your installments, taking your time to unfurl a scene, supplying more descriptions, savoring the juicy moments, et cetera—all comments I know you’ve heard from me before, so I’ll spare you the lecture.

With that out of the way, time for some specific remarks.

Batman kicks open the double door of Crane’s lab, desperately hoping it’s not too late — the doors creak back and thud against the walls. The place has been ransacked. “It’s too late,” he says to himself, sniffing at a cacophony of chemical smells.

You don’t really need to have Batman say “it’s too late.” For one thing, the reader can deduce that from the evidence you’ve given us, so it’s unnecessary. It’s also a little repetitive since you say he’s “hoping it’s not too late” shortly before. And it also feels like something Batman doesn’t need to (and probably wouldn’t) say aloud. My opinion is that it would be more impactful to go into Batman’s head and explore his feelings about this revelation. If he’s too late, what kind of emotional response does that provoke? Show me how he feels right now. That’ll give us more of a sense of Batman’s personality/thoughts, and it won’t restate information we already know.

the lab is very large, with a dome shaped roof

I think “dome-shaped” should be hyphenated.

Crane manages to utter as his eyes beseech for light.

This sentence is kinda overwrought. I think it’s the fact that “manages to utter” and “his eyes beseech for light” are jammed together—one or the other would probably be fine, but sticking both of them into a single sentence feels like too much. I also don’t know how well “eyes beseech for light” works, just in general. I’m going back and forth on it.

A highly concentrated doze
It was actually too high a doze

Both of these should be “dose.”

“What!?”

Super tiny nitpick, but put the question mark before the exclamation point.

frantically standing up, as if in a second he has lost all the patience he had for the professor.

Show don’t tell. I feel like him saying “what?!” and then standing up “frantically” (what does that look like, by the way?) fails to demonstrate that he’s “lost all the patience he had for the professor,” so the last part of this sentence doesn’t feel earned. Instead of telling us he’s lost all patience, show me that.

Batman feels a kind of need to let off some steam.

“A kind of need” makes this sentence sound clunky. I’d streamline it: “Batman feels the need to let off some steam.” There’s also an accidental rhyme happening here, but I don’t know if that’s a problem or not. Your call.

I don’t know if he’s saying this aloud or thinking it? If it’s the latter, kill the quotations and bring in the italics. It feels like an odd thing to say aloud, so I’d prefer if it was a thought. I think you’re too hesitant to dip into Batman’s head, but you shouldn’t be. You can totally share characters’ thoughts with your reader even if you’re writing in third-person, and I think going deep into Batman’s psyche would be a lot of fun for this story. Having him think more than speak would also reflect the fact that Batman’s an internal character.
Oh, and one last thing: you say “he wonders” but I don’t feel like this would actually qualify as “wondering,” because it’s pretty much just a flat statement. So maybe switch that word to something else.

Anyway, that brings us to a close. In summation, I liked this! I thought it was interesting and entertaining, your Batman is developing well, the pacing didn’t seem too wonky even though the chapter was short, and Batman’s breakdown was (though regrettably brief) intriguing and nicely sketched. As always, I’m curious to see where you go next. Hopefully I’ll be able to review the next chapter quickly instead of keeping myself in suspense, but—knowing me—I won’t make any promises. :P

Good work!

Hello, welcome back and thanks for the review! It's great to hear from you again! :D

You can totally share characters%u2019 thoughts with your reader even if you%u2019re writing in third-person, and I think going deep into Batman%u2019s psyche would be a lot of fun for this story.

I don't know why but, with this story, I've been hesitant to use to internal monologue. I think initially it was a stylistic experiment but then I stuck with it. I do agree that getting deeper into Batman's thoughts would've been fun! It probably would have solved some other issues with my writing too.

Thanks again and stay safe!

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:19 am
keystrings wrote a review...

Hello, hello! I figured I would stop by and try to review this next chapter as well, although it's a bit short, so this review might be shorter as well.

This chapter tapped a bit into Batman lore that I had forgotten about at first, including that the first Robin-turned-into-Nightwing is Richard/Dick, but after that, the dialogue made more sense. I think it's fitting that Batman would refer to a lot of these characters by their first/formal name, such as talking to Crane, using Jonathan, or Nightwing, using Richard. Interesting little side-note of Batman's personality. I was going to say that I totally get using "Batman" as his character's "title" in the actual story, but I would think that he would refer to himself as "Bruce." Just another note I thought of.

Past that, I mean, to be fair, how did Crane and Batman expect a superhero to react? Especially since at least in some running comics, Nightwing and Batgirl/Barbara Gordon were in love, so even if it's not apparent in this story, I have a feeling Richard could be dealing with some heavy emotions, starting from knowing the Gordon family for a decent while in his lifetime. Maybe drugging Crane wasn't the smartest idea, but I doubt Richard went in knowingly wanting to totally wreck harm.

I was wondering who was going to end up being the main/side villains in this, as we've got a look at Joker in the first chapter, a definitely fallen-off-his-throne kind of character in Crane, and a countless number of potential bad guys you could introduce in a later scene. I'm curious as to how Richard factors into this now, serving as a separate entity to even the vigilante kind, or if he jumps back into the fray against the bad guys because that's become a big part of his duty.

I've always liked Crane's character, so I hope to see more of him in the future, but I think this bit serves his personality well, overall being a creepy, a bit out there, experimenter, who has done a whole lot of wrong for a whole lot of people. I could actually see this story lining up well with a partly-words, partly-comics format, as there's definitely a quick pace, and pictures could really aid with providing the descriptions that aren't utilized as much in this.

Nicely done with this chapter!

Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:40 am
Riverlight wrote a review...

Hello there, @MeherazulAzim16! This is Squire Vilnius, here to review your first three chapters in one spot!

Chapter One is short and fast, immediately pulling the reader into the action. There were no grammatical errors that I saw, but I would like to note that it's unusual for an author to write in the present tense throughout a story. You have set us up with a starting plot point and teased a bit of a mysterious at your readers-- who is this man?

Chapter Two is also short and fast-- a bit too fast, i think. Again, no grammatical errors, but I feel like there are several info dumps piled on top of one another in Chapter Two. The present tense also feels... strained is the best word I can think of at the moment. It just doesn't feel natural, and it doesn't flow very well.

So, Chapter Three. I really feel like you could expand upon a lot of the details here-- looks, emotions, setting, etc. Slowing down, detailing a few things, and setting some pace would do wonders to improve your chapters. I really think that present tense isn't really improving your story the way past tense would. Would you think about revising in past tense? What motivated you to choose present tense?

Overall, while I think there are improvements that could be made, you have a nice little story here.

Have a nice [*insert time of day here*]!!!

Thanks for the review, Vilinius!

I really think that present tense isn't really improving your story the way past tense would. Would you think about revising in past tense? What motivated you to choose present tense?

I thought it'd give the story a more cinematic feel. Besides, it's a fan-fiction on comic book characters, and in a comic book, things kind of occur as we read. I guess that's why I stuck with it. But I appreciate the suggestion!

Riverlight says...

You're welcome!

Oh, ok! Apart from a series called "Bone," I've really not read any comic books, but there wasn't really any description-- almost entirely dialogue.

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:32 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

Hey there, I'm back for another review! :D

So the action seems to be progressing pretty quickly! I feel like in every chapter, another thing starts to go wrong xD It definitely makes for an interesting read! I like how at the end, you introduced Batman's internal conflict; this is a pretty good setup and can allow for the character to change and learn and grow throughout the story. Overall, I like where this is heading! I'm just going to point out some grammar and other things if you don't mind!

I mentioned this last time so I don't want to sound repetitive, but I think this chapter could also use a bit more description. Although I don't mind the action progressing quickly, I think it would be nice to slow down in some areas and elaborate on feelings, what the setting is, and describing things around the characters. In general, I think more descriptions would be nice!

sniffing at a cacophony of chemical smells.

"cacophony" means "a harsh discordant mixture of sounds," so I don't think it works with smells.

“You broke the deal, Crane.” Batman says, shaking his head.

At the end of the quote should be a comma, not a period.

“You were supposed to protect me!” Crane manages to mutter as his eyes beseech for light.

Sorry if I'm being a bit nitpicky xD, but I think your exclamation mark and "mutter" contradict each other, as an exclamation mark generally means loud and mutter means "say something in a low or barely audible voice, especially in dissatisfaction or irritation" I think it's cool though how you say Crane's eyes beg for light - that's a pretty interesting and unique way of saying that!

“Oh, you know,” Crane begins. “A highly concentrated doze of the toxin that Nightwing made me prepare at stick-point. I did as he demanded and offered the syringe to him, in hope of mercy — not my smartest move. He stabbed me in the neck with it instead. Justice, he called it.

It was actually too high a doze to turn me berserk — quite a tricky drug, eh? — but there will be other… dire ramifications.” Crane vigorously rubs his eyes, frustrated at how long it’s taking his cognition to return and unsure if it ever will. “I’m done for, aren’t I?”

When dealing with quotations that extend over more than one paragraph, you need to put quotation marks at the beginning of each paragraph but at the end only of the final one. So you're missing the beginning quotation in the second paragraph. Here's the article I confirmed this with if you're interested! http://baxtercommunications.nl/quotatio ... zLs3C-z10s

How did they get there hands on it?”

"there" should be "their"

Screaming, he lifts the nearest chair and smashes it into the floor, wood pieces take off in every direction.

To make this grammatically correct, I would change "take" to "taking"

He realizes another thing. Richard took the Batmobile with him and he has no idea what Richard is going to do next.

Ah, I wonder how he's going to find him then. Another interesting closing!

Overall, this is another great chapter! I'm excited to read more, and I hope this helped! :D

Thank you, Star! :D

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill