Lines of Faith: Chapter 1

by Mea

Verona fiddled with a folded sheet of paper. A few weeks ago, when she had found it among her school supplies, it had been brand-new and crisply folded. Now, its edges were torn and its creases were worn from how many times she had unfolded and re-folded it. She knew its words by heart, but she continued to pour over it in the hopes of wringing another drop of information from it.

A small sigh came from a few seats over, where Verona’s twin, Analia, was sitting next to one of her friends. Through the link that bonded them, Verona could feel her boredom. On another day, she would have mindsent her a smile or a joke to cheer her up. But things still weren’t settled between them.

The preacher’s words washed over Verona. Normally, she enjoyed listening to the older woman instruct her class, but today Verona just couldn’t concentrate. Her mind was too full. She tried to distract herself by glancing around the room.

It small and rather bare, adorned with about fifteen chairs, which were occupied by students in various stages of boredom. Preacher Dara stood on a podium near the front of the room, teaching. There wasn’t much to look at. Verona wished they could meet in the main hall - the intricate carvings and stonework could always distract her.

The one other item in the room was the church flag, stretched across the wall behind the podium like a banner. It had a gray background, and in the middle was a circle, split into twelve radial sections of alternating black and white. Below the circle was the name of the church. Along the outside were its various teachings written in one of the old languages.

But Verona had seen the flag so many times before that it couldn’t hold her interest for very long. She didn’t want to think about Analia, so she unfolded the paper and read it yet again.

Verona,

I'm sorry I have to tell you like this, but I am leaving at last. I have made contact with the Arbitrators and I’m going with them. I won’t say how, in case this letter falls into the wrong hands. I’m going to miss you so much! I wish I could have persuaded you to join me. I don’t know if I’ll be able to see you again.

There is one way you can contact me, but you can only use it once. I have left a dropbox on a secure interweb platform. The username is freedomgirl500gmn and the password is 12596902935094. You can use it to send me a message, but you can only use it once. From this day on, if anyone logs into it or hacks it, the entire dropbox will delete itself after half an hour. That should give you enough time to send me a message, and then it will be destroyed before the police can get their hands on it.

Please only use it in a dire emergency. My superiors will not be happy to know that I have potentially compromised their location, and they will be even less happy if your message is frivolous.

I only ask one thing - please don’t give this message to the police. In fact, just don’t tell anyone about this. They shouldn’t be able to find me with it, but I don’t want my parents to know that I’ve joined the Arbitrators. You know how they are. Let them just think I’ve gone missing. It’ll be for the best.

I have to go now. Good luck with your degree. I wish I could be there to see you graduate. Don’t let Trask bother you too much.

Love,

Lani

Verona still couldn’t quite believe Lani had actually done it. Everyone in the church had heard of the Arbitrators. They were the underground movement, the heroes that fought for absolute justice. Officially, they didn’t exist. Nobody spoke of them openly. Some thought they were just a legend. But Lani had been obsessed with them. She’d looked for them for years. And finally, she had found them.

Someone tapped Verona. It was Analia.

“Aren’t we going to leave?” she said. “We’re going to be late to have dinner with Mom.”

With a start, Verona realized that the class was over. Nearly everybody else had left.

“Oh, yeah, I was just thinking.” She jumped up and they left.

They walked to the tram station in an uncomfortable silence. The day was hot and sunny, hot enough that Verona wondered if the weather control was faulty. Verona wished she could fix things between them, but she didn’t know how to persuade her.

“So, why did you come today?” Verona finally asked. “I thought you weren’t sure about church anymore.”

“I’m not,” said Analia shortly. Verona could feel her closing herself off, away from discussion. “I went for Mom. You know how she already feels bad about having to work during church. Besides, it’s not like I’m an atheist now or anything. I’m just not sure about some things.”

Verona didn’t know what to say to that. Their argument from the night before was still fresh in her mind.

The tram pulled up to the station. The girls swiped their metro cards and got on. Verona stared out the window, watching buildings and parks whiz by. For the first time in her life, she didn’t understand Analia. How could she not want to live her life as justly as possible?

The journey passed in silence, neither girl speaking to one another. Analia had cut off her emotions from Verona, so Verona could only feel her presence. Not knowing Analia’s emotions felt odd. They had fought before, but never for this long. Verona missed their closeness.

Beside her, Analia pulled up a textbook called The History of Forensics on her techpad and started listening, a device in her ear wirelessly transmitting the sound. Analia had always preferred audiobooks. Verona decided that was a good way to keep her mind off of Analia, so she pulled up A Study of Magic and its Effects on Interplanetary Colonization and began to read.

She was halfway through the chapter detailing how teleportation had caused colonization of other planets to increase rapidly when a hologram that only she could see, courtesy of the implants in her eyes, popped up above her wrist. She had a new message. She activated it, and a quiet, male voice played in her ears.

“Miss Verona Sheif, I regret to inform you that your mother has been in a vehicle accident. She is in critical condition at Ibur’s hospital. Please come quickly.”

The message ended. Verona stared at the screen. Could it be a hoax? O God of Balance, please let it be a hoax, she thought. A surge of alarm washed over her and mingled with her own. It was Analia’s. Verona turned her head and met Analia’s shocked face. The pit of her stomach dropped.

/You got the message too?/ Verona sent. Analia just nodded. All barriers were down now, the feud forgotten.

/We have to go to her./ Analia sent.

/I know./

Minds working as one, they got off the tram at the next stop and boarded a different one that would take them downtown. Verona fidgeted in her seat as the trees went by. Image after image of terrible accidents flashed through her mind, each scenario worse than the last. She noticed Analia was gripping the edge of her chair tightly, knuckles white.

After what seemed like an eternity, the tram pulled into the station. They ran the entire way to the hospital, an enormous skyscraper that dwarfed the buildings around it. They burst inside, breathing hard.

“Are you Verona and Analia Sheif?” the stern-looking receptionist asked.

“Yes,” Analia gasped.

The lady pressed a button and a moment later a doctor came through the double doors.

“How is she?” Verona asked, hurrying up to him.

The doctor shook his head sadly.

“Her injuries were too severe,” he said gently “She succumbed moments after arriving. I am so sorry for your loss.”

A/N: This is for LMS. It's still pretty rough. I'm horrible at exposition so feedback on that would be appreciated. Also, the title is highly subject to change.

Europa wrote a review...

Hey there! This is a review from TheFantasy14! I really thought this was very interesting. The detail was great, I flowed fairly well, and your characters seem realistic and, most importantly, relatable. While we're on the subject of characters, I have yet to know how old they are or what they look like. Try to give the reader some idea of your character's physical appearance, such as their hair and eye color. Maybe have one of them look at their reflection in a window or mirror. I love the plot. I usually don't enjoy science fiction all that much, so the fact that yours was interesting enough to keep my attention was impressive. I would try and make the whole futuristic element come in earlier on in the story, because I got a little bit confused when it did start emerging, maybe have a date written on the letter so the reader knows that this is set in the future. Also, I loved when you mentioned weather control. I listen to a podcast set in a small desert community where the government controlls everything, like weather and who gets to die. The funny thing about it is the community is perfectly fine with it. The offhand way you mentioned the weather controll being faulty reminded me a little of that. I would ask about this link between your two characters. Do they have the mythical 'twin sense' that allows them to feel each other's emotions, or do they have an empathy or telepathic link that allows them to communicate? You might
Like to specify when you mention the link between the two twins. (Just FYI, I have a pair of twins in my story too.) other than that your story was amazing! I can hardly wait to read the rest!
Loves!
TheFantasy14

Mea says...

Thank you for the review! Just FYI, I have re-written this chapter already. The link to it should be under 'Related Works.'

OliveDreams wrote a review...

Hi Meandbooks! After a long time watching you week after week submitting your LMS chapters - I thought I would come and check them out for myself! Here goes!

Things I liked;

I love your opening paragraph. The detail and description is great. I like the thought of unfolding and folding a piece of paper constantly.

I enjoyed the letter. I created a lot of intrigue and it was well written. I’m hoping all will be explained soon as to who these people are and where Lani has gone. I’m also interested in this Trask character.

I like that you’ve given Analia a struggle with her faith. This will give a lot of different readers a reason to relate to her and it’s great for some character development!

I also really like your character’s names.

Things I think you could improve;

In your first paragraph, the word ‘it’ appears too many times for me. It doesn’t make it flow as nicely as you would want it to. Try to change a few here and there.

There needs to be some sort of physical description of your main character early on in the chapter. I have no idea about age or looks! Give us a slight sneak peek :)

WOAH! This is futuristic! I had no idea until the man spoke in her ears. Could we have a clue as to what sort of year this is? Is it even set on Earth?

I will get to the next portion of this in due course :) I’m excited! Feel free to ask me anything, anytime.

Olive <3

Mea says...

Thanks for the review! I'm so glad to have someone else following this, at least for a while, because it desperately needs the help.

Pompadour wrote a review...

Yo, Books. Pomp here for a The Big Review review and all~

I'm going to make this quick.

My first critique is going to be your beginning. I'm always very picky about them beginnings, because they're oh-so-important and, because we readers are such prejudiced folk, the first sentence or so is one of the most important impressions of the novel we're going to get. As a reader, I wasn't too compelled to read on, because the voice was verging on drab for me, and because I was not grounded in the scene from the beginning, but a few paragraphs on when you described it for us. I'm not saying your writing isn't interesting; it is. But it only becomes interesting when I've forced myself halfway through the piece and some form of conflict is realised.

Your first sentence, also, while introducing us to the character, doesn't really pave the way for much scene. It informs me about a piece of paper which demands the MC's attention, and the narrator's, but which does not interest the reader in the least. Make me care for the main character, first and foremost, otherwise I will not care for the things she cares about.

What I think the beginning of the piece lacks --> fluidity. There is a lot you're telling us, and you're being thorough, what with starting out with a scene, setting, and an introduction. But it doesn't flow well. This might be because of the lack of internal dialogue, or perhaps the lack of sensory detail, or the fact that there's some ambiguity. While your beginning should carry immediacy, this does not mean that it should be so immediate as to be entirely vague. You mention a link connecting the twins, and this is very teasing of you because it seems so odd in a normal setting and just springs on us suddenly. It's not expounded on, either, until later in the chapter. I think it's a lost opportunity, really, because it frustrates rather than intrigues, in my opinion. In prose, it's a steady stream of cause leads to effect; everything is linked, from the way your character reacts to the surroundings to the consequences her actions have.

I can understand that this is Third Person Limited, which means you do not have an much freedom to manoeuvre in the scene as one would in omniscient. But, your character and her internal narration should more than make up for it. To a degree, we get glimpses into Verona's mind, when she tells us about the 'rift' between her and her twin, but this is also largely unexplained. It's as if you're hesitant to tell us too much and want us to get a feel of the scene first. Don't be hesitant. In trying to keep away from the 'telling' factor in the equation, you're just ending up with gaps in the narrative. This does not really help matters at this point.

So far, the critique. Here's what I want from you, as a reader, and what you should try to provide when you get to re-writing this:

1) Make me CARE for the main character. It's a very dreary scene, this far, and I don't really care about her distraction, about her ongoing argument with her twin, and so on and so forth. I want more internal narration. In TPL, you have the freedom to rove your character's head. I also want more subtle gestures, like her twitching in her seat, fiddling with the paper, perhaps sweating if the inside of the church is warm. Your character doesn't seem human at this point, because while she feels things and has problems, these things don't really mean as much to us. Spice things up a bit. Make things happen; introduce a quirk or a trait. Does Verona fidget when seated? What is the person next to her like, and is she irritated by the fact that her sister is seated away from her? What does she feel in this particular situation? I want to know!

2) Don't list things as they happen. Don't tell us 'Verona does this'; 'Verona does that'. Show us. Show us things from her eyes instead of simply describing them as they are. Your character needs to interact with her surroundings big-time.

3) Be clever with how you convey things. Talking about the link that exists between the twin? Have Verona fiddle with it a tad, before realising that 'oh wait, we're still not /okay/ okay'. The letter failed to intrigue me, also, less than it would have if we had actual evidence of it being important to Verona instead of being told 'she knew the words by heart'. Maybe have her mouthing the words to herself, running her hand across the creases, looking at it every now and then--something like that. These are all suggestions, of course, but characterisation can sometimes be conveyed in subtle ways!

Mm. You mention the front hall with stone carvings, and again this nabs my attention for the fleetest of moments. You also mention underground groups, and this snags my attention, but please don't be afraid to add some weight to the worldbuilding--don't info-dump, but explain a few things. In a novel where there are so many things that need to be explained, it gets annoying when you jump from one thing to another without doing that. What is weather control? It's unexplained. It confuses me. It's thrust in there and it stands out, but it doesn't contribute to the worldbuilding because it's way sparse. Fix that.

^In the part I've quoted above, you jump from the uncomfortable silence to moaning about the weather control, to the feud again. It's slightly disconnected prose; smooth it out.

I liked the letter. It was well-written and flowed naturally and was a pleasure to read, all in all. ^^ I'm not normally a fan of letters in the beginning, as a tool for explanation, but you fitted it in just fine. It also lent the piece a sort of flow, because it was where I really began to sink my teeth into the chapter.

Things are moving a little fast right now. The end of the chapter was pretty cliché. I also think we moved from the sisters feuding to something that resolves the just-introduced conflict too quickly. It's too perfect, and it's too fast.

That's all I have to say for now! Do keep me updated with this, because I'm pretty interested in this underground movement and am hoping to find out more about them! Also keen to see the consequences of everything that's happened in this chapter~

Keep writing! Keep it up!

Hope this helped.

~Pomp c:

Mea says...

I have no idea how I didn't see this before. Many thanks, and I will keep you updated!

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:09 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

The Big Review

Hey Youandnovels! ;) I must say, first chapters this well-written are hard to come by. I'm going to split up my review into different sections to keep everything as organized as possible for you when you come back to edit everything.

Lines of Faith
I think that's an excellent title, but that's just my opinion. "Faith" suggests some religious elements, and sure enough, the first scene in the book takes place in church. An interesting church, I'd say, resembling more of a classroom, but perhaps it's simply a church of the future or a religious church.

"O God of Balance" infers that Verona follows a polytheistic religion, unless I'm mistaken. However, the very definition of "church" is "a building for public Christian worship," and the belief of one God. Be careful.

Recommendations

She knew its words by heart, but she continued to pour over it in the hopes of wringing another drop of information from it.

This first paragraph served really well as an introduction, but "from it" is just an ehh ending and it's pretty much unnecessary. Taking it out leaves it a little awkward though, so add an "out" after "wringing."

I think that the two paragraphs describing the church and the church banner were too long and bland for your first chapter. I would edit them down to keep the pace of the chapter consistent.
/You got the message too?/

When I first scrolled down the page and saw these /sections/ I figured you had forgotten to italicize or something before publishing, but I can see that what you were trying to do was come up with something that would distinguish telepathy from letters, thoughts, and normal dialogue. That's a good idea, but the method you came up with is just ehh. (That word again.) This is LMS, so you probably haven't had a whole lot of time to sit around, fiddling with different technical things like this, but try to brainstorm on different things you could do. Like ((Hello)) or Hello. In my opinion, italics would work just fine. Every book I've read that has telepathy in it uses italics. But your version of telepathy is different, I'll give you that. The characters "send" messages instead of just talk with their brains.
They ran the entire way to the hospital, an enormous skyscraper that dwarfed the buildings around it.

This is all the reader gets to know about what the hospital looks like, giving the end of the chapter a rushed feeling. Slow down a teensy weensy bit to describe a little more about the inside of the building. This novel clearly takes place in the future, so some descriptions about fancy medical gadgets would help.
“Her injuries were too severe,” he said gently “She succumbed

You forgot a little period after "gently."

Certain things I liked
Verona fiddled with a folded sheet of paper.

It's a simple but effective way to begin a chapter. As humans, readers are much more interested in the characters and their facial expression and conflicts than descriptions of things like the sky. I tend to describe things like the sky too often. xD But anyway, this one sentence started everything off perfectly: we know that the MC is a girl named Verona, she's a bit nervous as shown by the word "fiddled," and she has a clearly important folded sheet of paper.
Verona fidgeted in her seat as the trees went by. Image after image of terrible accidents flashed through her mind, each scenario worse than the last.

I really like the transition between these two sentences. First you write about trees flashing by outside the window, then actions flashing by inside her head.

The main thing that was ehh
I don't know why I like that word so much right now. I don't even believe that it is a word.

Two things. A) The death of the mother was written much too suddenly and quickly and B) Cliché cliché cliché. I understand. The mom has to die. It's important to the plot. But what I didn't like was the way you presented it. We don't know the mother at all. She's just the mother of Verona who feels bad because she works during church hours. Then boom, she's gone. What I would like is some more characterization. Forcing the doctor to break the news to the daughters is a quick shortcut and an easy way to get out of a lot of things. You don't have to write about the hospital room or describe the last moments the daughters have with their mother. The tears. The final goodbyes. But do you know how much more depth that would give this book if you wrote a few more paragraphs to characterize the mother a bit more, even if she's in her death bed? It's not nearly as cliché, and the reader will feel more when she dies. You're an excellent writer, I can tell. You could describe those things.

But here's another thing I'm thinking. Her death was so abrupt and quick that maybe she didn't die in a car accident at all. These doctors could be hiding something, for all I know.

The Arbitrators
This mysterious group of people is really interesting to me so far. They're adding a unique and promising tint to the plot thus far. Here's what I've assumed about them after reading:

They're not the bad guys. They're fighting for justice and the MC's seemingly closest friend did everything in her power to find a way to join them.
Only the best can become members, and once you're a member, you pretty much disappear from normal society and all contact with friends and family dissolves. You got to be pretty dedicated, I'm guessing.
The fact that all the members of the church have heard of them is also an inference that they're the good guys.
They're going to be important in this book.

Again, I'm thinking that the mother's death was abrupt and unrealistic on purpose. Something about the whole "against justice" thing tells me that what happened to their mom wasn't on accident, and the Arbitrators are there to fix these things. To bring justice.

Conclusion
All things aside, this was a splendid start. First drafts of first chapters tend to be rusty since the author hasn't gotten the complete style and rhythm of the book down yet, but you managed quite well. I didn't catch any grammatical errors and only found two nitpicks, one of which Wolfe already tackled.

Great job, Youandnovels! (Yep, that's my official nickname for you now.) I'm most definitely interested in where this is going, so keep me posted with new chapters.

Write, write, write!

Mea says...

This is great - I'm glad you liked it. I'm actually re-writing it right now because I decided that I needed to back off on introducing the conflict a bit and introduce more of the world and stuff.

I'll keep you posted!

Mea says...

And I'm very happy about what you've inferenced about the Arbitrators. :)

Vervain wrote a review...

Hello, Meand~ I'm going to drop this here for the Big Review.

To start with, I don't think this is a bad beginning. It serves to set up a bit of foreshadowing and a bit of suspense, while introducing us to the characters and their circumstances fairly well.

However, at the same time, there is a lot to take in in one chapter. Some of this stuff could have been spread out, instead of introducing it to us all at once—the conflict between the sisters, the conflict with Lani, the conflict between Analia and her beliefs, the conflict of the accident, that's all just too much to drop on a reader in one chapter and expect them to be able to follow it well. Then you add in a lot of detail on top of that and it becomes more difficult.

Some of it could definitely be moved to the next chapter, spread out across the beginning to introduce the reader to the characters' problems a little more slowly. It's probably a good idea to set up the conflict with Lani (being on Verona's mind) and the conflict with their mother (being an immediate action), but the conflict between the sisters and with Analia's beliefs could be touched on and put off until another chapter. As it is, you go into just barely too much detail on that.

One of the important things to remember when you're writing in third person limited: Your reader should know what your character is thinking, feeling, or doing at that moment. Verona mentions being distracted by Lani's letter, not wanting to think about the conflict with Analia, and then four paragraphs later is interrogating her sister instead of being distracted. Doesn't sound very much like she's willfully distracting herself to me.

Of course, that conversation could always go that way in real life, but it would probably feel more actual if there was some mention that Verona couldn't let it go on any longer, wanted to dissolve the tension faster, etc. You do have some mention of her emotions, but no mention at that point of how long it's been going on, if it's unbearable, or anything like that. It feels very distant, and as the reader I don't understand Verona's motives for asking why Analia went to church if what she wanted was to get rid of the conflict.

Moving on to technical aspects: So far, I'm not impressed with how you've used the clichés in your novel. You still have an entire book to twist them around, but this is my first impression of the story overall, and we already have a Mysterious Letter From A Friend, a Strained Relationship between family and beliefs, and a Parental Car Accident. I could pick up almost any YA book and find two out of three of these in the first half, so how are you going to use these differently than another book?

That's not saying that you shouldn't use clichés (almost everything is a cliché by this point), but you need to have some way of differentiating your story from the other stories on the market, or in this case, on the site. When the first chapter is built around these three concepts, and the most intriguing things I find are mention of magic and science, what am I supposed to expect from the rest of the book?

For a last note, something I find unbelievable: If they have magic and such good science, why couldn't they save the mother? If they had enough time to transport her to the hospital, they would have surely had her in an emergency vehicle, which would be equipped (at least in the modern day) with technology and systems to keep people from dying, and there are a lot of ways to keep people from dying.

Of course, I'm using my modern day experience to evaluate this, because you haven't given us much indication that this world isn't practically analogous to ours as far as medicine goes; if you showed me more about the hospital and how they practice medicine, then I might be more likely to believe the mother's tragic death. I'd also find it more plausible if she was pronounced dead at the scene, rather than dramatically rushed to the hospital, because if she's rushed to the hospital then that implies that they can realistically save her.

In any case, the beginning was pretty strong. It's teetering on the line of "will I read more? will I not read more?", so I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of the novel as a whole yet. Definitely not bad, with a strong sense of worldbuilding, so keep writing!

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hey there, Meand! Finally here for that The Big Review review for you ~ (And excuse any glaring spelling mistakes, because I am on a tablet.) Let's get started!

First off, a quick nitpick:

It was small and rather bare, adorned with about fifteen chairs...

There was a word that was forgotten, which is in bold. Also, the word "adorned" was misused. (I only really noticed because I had to look it up, not know what it meant.) Apparently, it means to make a room/something more attractive, but in this case, how do chairs do this? Just a quick tip, if you're unsure of a word's meaning (or you're pretty sure, but can't explain it) look it up anyway, you may a find a more suitable synonym in place of what you had in mind.

So then, the beginning portion seems a little jumpy, as it starts with a paragraph about the note, then goes to her sister, signaling something's wrong and then switches to boredom. After that, we have no firm grasp on anything and we're left a little up in the air on what's happening.

The description also seems a little rigid and matter of fact-ish. There's a lot of it clumped together in that one spot and then not much else around, so it feels like it's there because people expect it to be there, not because that's what's going through Verno's head. I see that it is, but it doesn't feel natural or go with the flow.

Verona still couldn’t quite believe Lani had actually done it.

There's also this paragraph, which I noted sort of verged on feeling like an info dump (which it's not, but close.) It was so emotionless in the way it was said and dry, matter of fact like the description. We didn't see how the information would affect Verona, or how she felt about it all, which is important because she is the narrator. And while you have some parts here and there with Verona's tone, it's sort of lacking.

So, to make these three things not seem as dry or random (aside from some better transitions which could help the beginning some too) try adding in a little more voice to the narrator, with some tone and emotion that is added in to some of the information. For instance, in the very beginning, how did Verona feel about the note? We know it's important to her, but we don't know if it's good important, of shocking, or is she just keeps it out of loyalty. What? Then what about ther arguement? It's hinted about a lot, but we're never really told anything of what was said to justify how bad it is, or maybe even just showing us some of Verona's values.

Oh, and final thing that I could've touched on earlier is that the reaction to the note came a little late. I mentioned above that we didn't get an immediate reaction on how Verona felt on the note, which is a little misleading. As a review told me, if you're going to start with one thing, start with it. Don't mislead us about it. :P

Anyway, a lot has happened in this chapter, which I'm not sure how to feel about. On one hand, it may be a little too much for the first chapter, but on the other, it shows us a lot about this world. One that seems to be 'dominated' by the church, and then there's this underground movement >.> I'm rather curious. So nice job starting to build up that world, and I hope there's more to see in the future ~

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! (I'll also stick around for a few more chapters, as I'm quite intereted.) Happy writing,
~Wolfe

What praise is more valuable than the praise of an intelligent servant?
— Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice