In Memory

by Mea

those three years we tread water still echo in my skull.

silence may be a dam torn down as “stranger” becomes “friend”
but neither of us were dynamite,
and who knew what a flood could wash away?
better to test the waters for a while
or maybe forever.

I thought we had at least until the sunrise
but the clock struck twelve and the spell was broken.
I couldn’t pretend we had forever anymore
but my meager hands couldn’t scratch a time-worn wall
when each meeting was a countdown till the last
too little, too late.

our last hurrah was the best of all and then it was over
and I looked at you and tried to say goodbye
but I think it got lost amid the should-haves and never-agains.
then we hugged, and it was more than a hug it was dynamite
an explosion that clung to my heart
and etched itself in steel.

I’ll never forget the strength I felt in your small arms.
they gave me all the words we’d never said
all the oaths we’d never sworn,
and I’m so sorry
I wasn’t dynamite before
but i swear i’ll learn
because a first hug should never come just before goodbye.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:31 am
Rook wrote a review...

Heeey
You asked for a review on this way back in February, and I'm only getting around to it now. Sorry! I hope you can still use a review on it!

Good opening line. Is "tread" supposed to be past tense? It seems like a present tense word, but "treaded" is apparently not a word. It just sounds a little strange to me, but english grammar is really who is at fault I think.

This was really awesome. The emotion was concrete and tangible. The flow was amazing. I love this poem like a lot. It's hard to find parts to point out to improve, because so much of it is just you. So much of it is just your emotions put to words that flow well, and are understandable. It's really good when I know where you're coming from with this in your life, because it makes so much sense. I'm just imagining you saying goodbye to your best friend or whoever in your old home, and I'm feeling all of the emotions along with you.
This might be the type of poem where you have an author's note where you describe your situation.
But thing is, most of this could also work well with death and other kinds of loss. Loss is universal, and so this works really well to get people to empathize with you, and when they do that, it creates an experience for them, and they'll remember your poem.

I don't really like the quotes around "stranger" and "friend" because they just seem clunky, but that's my own opinion.

But really, you have a good handle on the concrete images and you repeat images in just the right way, at the right time, the right number of times.

This is a really solid poem and I'm not sure I can make it any better than it is. It's so very real right now, and that's the best part.

~fortis

Mea says...

<3

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:34 am
Skydreamer wrote a review...

I like your start (the first line), my only issue is that it feels like it's missing something, but I'm not quite sure what. Maybe a 'that' before "we", but I don't think that would work. Maybe it's just me...but regardless I really like it.

I also like the first stanza a lot, however, reading through it a second time, I feel like "or forever" could be looked at again. It's kind of an abrupt stop at the end.

Also, I'm not sure if "and who knew what would be on the other side?" is a good idea for that stanza. I think something like "and we didn't want to be broken down" or "and who knows what a flood could bring?" or something like that. I understand it's the other side of the dam we're talking about, but I can't help but think of a door, or just a wall where there is some mystery. For a dam, it's pretty clear what's on the other side, water...but then again, there could be mysterious fish swimming in there? Just a suggestion. xD

For the second stanza I think you can chop up the first line a bit:

"i thought we had at least 'til sunrise"

No need for 'the' or 'until', for the flow.

I also feel you could split it like the example below:

i thought we had at least till sunrise
i couldn’t pretend we had forever anymore

too little, too late.

And finally, the last part is a little confusing, I think especially because of the "but" you included. It seems like you're saying you can't stop seeing this person, because you don't know when it might end? Which is great! I just feel like it's a rush of words. And it's beautiful, but can be confusing.

I love the third stanza a lot. I think it's my favorite.

For the last stanza though, the use of dynamite can sort of contradict with the previous stanza. So I would suggest just adding "then" after dynamite for more clarification.

"i wasn’t dynamite then"

And lastly I think adding "a" would give some symmetry to the ending.

"because a first hug should never come just before a goodbye.

Hope this helps! :)

Mea says...

<3 This is exactly what I needed. (Also yes, there's definitely a mysterious fish hiding there. :P)

And wrt the ending, it's supposed to be that the narrator will learn how to "be dynamite" for the other people he/she meets, so it doesn't happen again, but I can see how that doesn't really come through...

nykolasandrews wrote a review...

Hey there! Nykolas here with another review. I'm going to be reviewing this as I read through c:

Note #1 : "those three years we tread water still echo in my skull."

Maybe you should put ''we trod water'' instead of ''we tread water''. I'm pretty sure that's the correct past tense.

Note #2 : The lack of capitalization is pretty great. I don't know. I like it.

Note #3 : ''or forever.''

This sounds a bit weird with the previous line. Maybe you should put ''or for forever''

Note #4 : ''should-haves and never-agains.''

This could be ''should haves and never agains''.

That's all of my notes. Wow. This poem was really immersive, and it was beautifully written. You have some great vocabulary and the literary devices were used flawlessly. I applaud you on your view and ability to write about human emotion. It is a very difficult thing to do successfully. Keep writing. I'll be looking to see more from you.

Happy writing and review day~
-Nykolas A.

felistia wrote a review...

Hi Meandbooks, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful review day. :D

Theme: This is such a heartfelt theme you have going in this poem and you really presented it well. I didn't expect such a good poem at first, but as I got into it by the second stanza I was really interested and what an ending, pull at the heart strings there. :D

Description: I would say that your description in here is about as good as the emotion, since you are always compering things with things, keeping everything interesting. I gave me a range of senses from sight to feel, which is great when it comes to description. :D

Grammar and punctuation: I do have a small bone to pick about the punctuation in the poem though. I really think you should capitalize the beginning of each line and capitalize all the I's as in the I in ( I will be there). :D

Over all a great poem and I look forward to the next one. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

MayBaby says...

Seriously, no words can even explain, like, no.

This was so heartfelt that every word would go straight through the reader's heart. It was so deep and the concept was dramatic enough to do that dramatic touch. It was so nice.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:39 am
allyoop says...

This was beautifully written and expressed pure and raw emotion. Your readers get a glimpse of the pain you felt retelling this. Well done and keep writing!

Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:37 am
StupidSoup says...

Words cannot express the sorrow of reading this.

juniferxo wrote a review...

This is really good! It's emotional and descriptive, you'll be able to connect with a lot of readers this way! Only thing I would like to point out to you is although the new "style" of poetry is not capitalizing any words, it's basic technique to do so. It won't effect your poem at all, it just makes it look cleaner and makes it a lot easier for people to read! Having everything lowercase can just be distracting. If anything, just capitalize the I when you refer to yourself, as squirrel said. But overall good job! Keep up the good work and keep writing! :)

Squirrel says...

I like the poem but I think there is something you should fix. Always capitalize an I when you are referring to yourself. You had a good choice in words but did you mean to use Dynamite A lot? Other than that I think you did a good job. Keep up the good work.

Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg