z

Young Writers Society



The Ghost Bus: Chapter 1

by Mea


There’s a ghost bus in this city. Has been since the day I moved here, or at least I think. I know I only noticed it in October once I wasn’t quite as wide-eyed and busy-tailed, as Mom says. Day after day it sat for exactly a minute while cars wove around it, then off it went. Perfectly normal, until I saw that the bus was completely empty and come to think of it, I’d never seen anyone get on.

I started keeping count after that. Every day exactly the same, an empty bus slowing to a stop, opening its doors to no one, and pulling away. On Day 23, I craned my neck and just managed to get a glimpse of the driver’s seat as the bus was pulling away. And I swear to you, there was nobody driving. A ghost bus, you see?

Today was Day 34, T-5 minutes. I ate my Cheerios and tried not to shiver on account of the heat being turned off overnight and the apartment only just starting to warm back up. I wondered again if anybody else was noticing, tracking the days like me or even just giving it a thought as they walked by. I doubted it. I think everyone in Boston had too much noticing to do to notice something like that. Back in Huntsville, it would’ve already been all over town.

The floor creaked, startling me out of my shivering. I knew it would be Mom, out of bed early this morning instead of lying awake next to Dad, staring at the ceiling. I glanced at the clock. It read 6:42. If she wanted to talk, I’d miss my ghost bus. Maybe she wouldn’t come in.

The door creaked open. “Morning, Sandra. Up early again?”

Mom’s eyes were tinged with red. I watched as she started to make coffee, shuffling around our tiny kitchen wearing a blue bathrobe. Her plain brown hair was tousled and she wore her glasses instead of contacts.

“Wouldn’t feel right if I wasn’t,” I said, trying not to be irritable. It had been just over four months since I’d spent my mornings hooking up the milking machine to Sarah, Nora, and all the rest. Five years of getting up at six isn’t a habit you break easily, not that I wanted to. I peered out the window, straining to see down to the street without Mom noticing. At least we were only on the third floor.

The coffee maker dinged just as I caught a glimpse of the sleek green ghost bus. I couldn’t tell if anyone was in it, but it was there all right. A moment later, Mom sat down next to me with her fresh cup. She been brewing it stronger lately, with only a little milk. Instead of drinking, she stared, morose, into the swirling brown. I started eating my cereal more quickly. I’d seen the ghost bus. Now I needed to finish up my English homework before school.

I had just dropped my bowl in the sink when my mom spoke again. “I remember how hard it was to get you up early when you first got old enough to help out. Once you were awake, you were oh-so-eager to help, but Lord, you slept like the dead.”

“Yeah, I know,” I said. “Josh poured water on me once after trying to shake me awake for ages.”

Mom flinched visibly when I mentioned his name. I left the kitchen without a backwards glance.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:47 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello!! Finally getting to this!! :D

Well isn't this just a lovely little opening. I liked the way you immediately brought us into the conflict, but that it wasn't overly dramatic. This was a pretty quiet opening, but you were able to set the scene and get us thinking right away (which can actually be more difficult to do than big dramatic openings). You've also planted some really interesting little plot seeds. Not only do we have this ghost bus situation to think about, but I'm wondering why they moved, what's going on with the mom, is there any other family, what happened with Josh? And with the bus I'm wondering if anyone else can see it, if there are other things this MC sees that others can't, if it's real or a figment of her imagination, and what the function of it is no matter what. So for being a short opening, there's a lot packed in there. :)

One line that confused me:

Today was Day 34, T-5 minutes.

I'm not sure what she's counting here. Day 34 after moving? Day 34 of seeing the bus? It's not super clear.

I'm not going to get too deep into nitpicks and things since this is the first draft and I feel like you'll be able to pick out most of the small stuff. I don't have a lot of big qualms with this first chapter other than it seems to end kind of suddenly and feel a bit short. I'm not sure if you have more planned for this first chapter or not, but I felt like we were just starting to get into things and then it was done.

My predictions because predictions are fun - Josh is a brother maybe. He died or something bad happened to him so the family moved because mom was depressed and wanted a change and now MC is mad at mom and mad that she doesn't have her brother. And now she's seeing this ghost bus and it's going to connect back to Josh in some way. :)

I hope you keep working on this and tag me if you do! And let me know if you have questions/if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! :D




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:29 pm
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hi Mea! This is Princess Ink with a review.

The beginning of the story started with a spark. It left me wondering about the ghost train, and I enjoyed reading it.

I have a little confusion: when Sandra was milking, what was she milking? My guess is that it's cows, but maybe you could clarify.

I also felt that no matter how careful Sandra was to peep down the street, her mother might realize that Sandra was acting strangely. I'm also wondering how come Sandra is trying to hide the fact that she sees this bus every day. Is this because people might say that she's weird, or hallucinating? Or the fact that she wants to find out more first?

The sentences here:
"Instead of drinking, she stared, morose, into the swirling brown. I started eating my cereal more quickly. I’d seen the ghost bus. Now I needed to finish up my English homework before school."

I felt like the transition here was a bit awkward, and the sentences were slightly choppy.

The chapter ended at a dramatic point, with Sandra mentioning Josh, and her mother's less-than-welcoming reaction. I think it was a good way to end the chapter, and I have a feeling Josh will play a role--significant or insignificant--in the story.

For my conclusion, I thought Sandra was a well-developed character and I was able to connect with her from the beginning.

I hope my review helped you--and keep on writing :)




User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:05 pm
View Likes
erilea wrote a review...



Hey, Mea! Lupa here for a review! :) Let's start...

1) "I know I only noticed it in October once I wasn’t quite as wide-eyed and busy-tailed, as Mom says." This line is a bit confusing. The whole section after "once" doesn't make sense to me. What in the world does "busy-tailed" mean? Maybe it's these characters' dialect, but if you could make it simple to understand for the reader I feel like it'd be better.

2) "The coffee maker dinged just as I caught a glimpse of the sleek green ghost bus." Is it just me, or when someone says "ghost bus," the word "sleek" does not come to mind? I would think of a ghost bus as being a bit derelict and worn-down, not sleek. Maybe this is just me. But there's a whole lot more adjectives to describe something that's old and broken than something shiny and new.

3) "She been brewing it stronger lately, with only a little milk." I'm guessing it's "She'd," not "She." Otherwise it doesn't make sense. :D

4) The ending wasn't really what I wanted. It felt a bit rushed, like you were trying to end the chapter quickly. The whole chapter was pretty short overall. One more detail about Sandra would help it end better (for example, "Mom flinched visibly when I mentioned his name. I shrugged, turned, and left the kitchen without a backwards glance."). Do you see what I mean?

Overall, you did a pretty good job, but your chapter didn't really make me want to learn more about the ghost bus. I would like it to have a more mysterious air. Sandra seems pretty nonchalant about the whole thing, so I think you can improve the mood towards the bus. But this was a nice chapter for introducing the main character, so props to you on that. Keep writing, Mea!

XOX,
Lupa22




Mea says...


"Wide-eyed and bushy-tailed" is a phrase used to mean new and inexperienced. :P

Thanks for the review, it was very helpful!



erilea says...


Oh. Well, you're welcome!



User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:23 pm
View Likes
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, Mea! Casanova here to do a review for you!1


The first thing I noticed was this-

I think everyone in Boston had too much noticing to do to notice something like that.


Here I got kind of confused. Do you mean there were too many things around to notice, or did you mean the people were too busy to notice it? If it's neither, could you explain this to me? Anyway, onward.

It had been just over four months since I’d spent my mornings hooking up the milking machine to Sarah, Nora, and all the rest.


Here the first thing that comes to mind is if Sandra is meaning milking something. So my question is- do you mean milking cows, goats, or is it something else? I know this is something trivial and not a need to know(or even a common interest) but I'm interested to know what this means. Anyway, onward.

The coffee maker dinged just as I caught a glimpse of the sleek green ghost bus. I couldn’t tell if anyone was in it, but it was there all right. A moment later, Mom sat down next to me with her fresh cup. She been brewing it stronger lately, with only a little milk. Instead of drinking, she stared, morose, into the swirling brown. I started eating my cereal more quickly. I’d seen the ghost bus. Now I needed to finish up my English homework before school.

I had just dropped my bowl in the sink when my mom spoke again. “I remember how hard it was to get you up early when you first got old enough to help out. Once you were awake, you were oh-so-eager to help, but Lord, you slept like the dead.”


Here, I assume, she goes from the bedroom to the kitchen, and her mom follows. I think she's in her bedroom because her mom knocks before she comes in. And since I doubt she has a sink in her bedroom- I would suggest inputting the change of scenery of one room to another(considering her mom follows). Otherwise people may end up thinking my first thought of it's either a one room apartment(which it isn't- the mum knocks first), or there's a sink in Sandra's bedroom(which would be soooo useful, come to think of it.) Anyway, onward.

I rather like your character Sandra, and I think you did a good job with her. The only nitpick I would have is that you don't infer anything about her appearance, and we don't really know what her personality is like- but I guess that could be done in later chapters.

Your plot, it seems, is fine so far- and I can't wait to read the next chapter. Ping me when it's finished.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on this on, and I hope it helped.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron




Mea says...


Thanks for the review! She was never in her bedroom, always in the kitchen. Her mom didn't knock, Sandra just heard her moving around and knew she was going to come in.

And Sandra's kind of Southern, so there will probably be some slightly confusing phrases. xD



Casanova says...


I am southern :P



Mea says...


Fair enough. :P




seeing this tag and going "oh what's this? :)" then getting slapped in the face with shady's good grammar is the worst thing that's ever happened to me
— SilverNight