z

Young Writers Society



On Wings of Fire: Chapter 2, Part 2

by Mea


The door to the Council chamber had hardly closed behind Cassia, Tilana, and Raphel after the meeting before Cassia exploded. “He’s literally been bedridden for a week! What does he think he’s doing? Raphel, you can’t let him go.”

“You think he’s going to listen to me?” Raphel said, indignant. “He won’t even let me examine him!

Tilana shook her head. “What I don’t understand is, why does he think he has to go? We can send someone else!”

Cassia was about to say she didn’t know, but the door behind them opened again. It was Haliel. She looked around, bun bobbing anxiously atop of her head, and hurried forward, taking Cassia by the elbow and sweeping her wings around her shoulders.

“Come with me, Cassiandra,” she whispered, ushering Cassia forward. “You both as well,” she said over her shoulder. Before Cassia knew it, Haliel had steered her all the way out of the castle, past the hedge maze, and along a narrow pathway that snaked down the mountain and opened into a sheltered grove. Unlike the rest of the gardens, this grove grew wild, carpeted with lush ferns and tangled vines straining, somehow, toward the center of the grove.

There, where the canopy cleared, lay a pool as round as a mirror and as still as glass, with water as clear as the sky.

Cassia pulled away from Haliel, turning her back on the pool and it’s painful memories.

“Why did you bring us here?” Angels rarely came to the Giving Pool after they received Mithrinde’s Gift as a child. It was a sacred place, and the Giving was not lightly spoken of.

Of course, Cassia had never experienced it. She avoided Tilana’s eyes, but she could still read her sister’s guilt in her stance. It wasn’t her fault she’d been born first, or that for some reason the Pool only had one mote to give to twins. It had only taken five years of repeating that for Cassia to start believing it.

“Because I needed a place where we absolutely will not be overheard,” Haliel said quietly. “And… because I hope Mithrinde may guide us here. Your father cannot go on this mission.”

“Yeah, duh,” Cassia said, more curtly than she meant to. “But you saw how well talking him out of it went.”

Normally, Micah listened carefully to every one of his Ministers, even if he disagreed. But this time when Raphel, Irin, and Cassia had all raised objections, her father had slapped his palm on the ebony table and said, “Enough. I hear the concerns of my Council. But this decision is final.”

Haliel threw up her hands. “I didn’t suggest this! Quite apart from his health, does Micah really think we’re going to let our Archpriest go traveling through foreign lands with a drake right before the Renewal? I wouldn’t put it past them to take the opportunity to kill him and make it look like an accident.”

“There has to be a reason,” said Tilana. “Some reason he thinks he can only do it himself.”

“Maybe it’s Mithrinde’s will,” said Raphel, though he sounded uncertain.

“If he’d had a vision, he would have said so,” Cassia said. “He wouldn’t leave us guessing like this.”

Although Archpriests were the link between the gods and their godformed, her father rarely received visions from Mithrinde. In fact, she could only remember him ever telling her about a single one. It had been about her.

“Vision or no vision, he cannot go,” Haliel said. “We all agree?”

Cassia, Tilana, and Raphel all nodded, though Cassia’s stomach twisted. What if Micah going really was Mithrinde’s will, but she told him not to tell anyone?

Cassia pushed that thought away. Mithrinde didn’t deal in secrets.

Haliel lowered her voice. “I have a plan to send someone else in his place. I didn’t tell the drakes who was going because I thought we would decide that at the meeting. I only told them it would be a mage of great skill. They’re going to meet you at the border tomorrow morning and teleport you to Promise to meet the drake they’re sending and pick up the thief’s trail.

Haliel ran her fingers along her wings in an anxious preening gesture. “I told Micah they’re meeting us tomorrow evening. If we’re careful, by the time he realizes something’s wrong you’ll already be in Promise, and the drakes will refuse to go back on the deal.”

“He’ll be furious,” Raphel fretted.

“Better furious than dead,” Haliel said grimly. “Or am I wrong about his health, doctor?”

Raphel opened his mouth and then closed it again.

Cassia took a deep breath. Her father couldn’t go. That much was obvious. She thought she could lie to him, to keep him alive.

“Okay,” Cassia said slowly. “So we send someone else. Who?”

Three pairs of eyes turned as one to fix on Cassia.

“I thought that would be obvious,” Haliel said. “You are our Grand Mage, after all.”

The night air breathed still and cold in the grove surrounding the Giving Pool. The trees linked a tight-knit canopy, like sentinels folding their arms in warning. The thick scent of pine hung heavy over the silent clearing, sheltering it from Mithrinden’s perpetual winds.

Cassia shivered in her thin dressing gown as she emerged into the clearing around the pool. She was supposed to be turning in early so she could be up before dawn to meet the drakes at the border of Mithrinden, but she couldn’t sleep.

So she had come back here instead, ignoring her memories of watching Tilana step into the pool, her skin blazing in the light of the moon. Of being that young girl with a terrible longing blazing in her chest for a birthright that couldn’t be filled. This was a holy place where MIthrinde’s power gathered.

And Cassia needed to feel Mithrinde’s power tonight. In less than twelve hours, she, Cassia would be leaving Mithrinden alone, with a drake, to search for the most important magical artifact in all of Icalla. Against her father’s wishes. The Archpriest’s wishes.

She was okay with that. Her father was like that sometimes — too stubborn for his own good.

She wasn’t okay with going against Mithrinde’s wishes. So she had to be sure. There was a chance that this all was Mithrinde’s will, that She had commanded Micah to go and he just hadn’t told anyone, and that everything would be all right if he did.

Cassia didn’t think that was likely. But she had come to the pool anyway.

The moon shone like glass on the pond’s surface, pristine and unnaturally still, with no ripples to disrupt it. It was a half moon tonight. A half-moon wasn’t an omen, and yet Cassia couldn’t help but feel that everything from this point forth was balanced on the point of a knife, ready to tip one way or the other.

Cassia sat on one of wide, flat rocks rimming the pond, careful not to touch the water, as that was only done at a Receiving Ceremony. Because it was only a half moon, no eight-year-olds would be coming for their Receiving Ceremony tonight. It was just her.

“I’m going to do this,” she said quietly, watching the moonlight shimmer in the pool. “I guess, if you really don’t want me to go, you can send a dream to Micah so he can catch me. Or let Tilana know, or something.”

She put a hand to her chest, feeling her heartbeat and nothing beside it. People often said they had “feelings in their motes” about things. Micah said they were guiding nudges from Mithrinde, and to listen to them.

But without a mote, Mithrinde couldn’t guide Cassia directly. Cassia’s feelings were her own, and she wasn’t sure how she felt. She didn’t feel safe, or good, about anything that was happening. But she should have been panicking, and she wasn’t. That was something.

“I thought I’d find you here.”

Cassia started, but it was just Tilana, picking her way across the clearing. She was barefoot and wearing a pale blue dressing gown now, her hair unbraided and tumbling down her back much like Cassia’s.

“I couldn’t sleep,” Cassia said.

“I guessed.” Tilana slid onto the rock beside Cassia, folding her legs underneath her and gazing out over the lake. “Until today, I hadn’t come down here since… well.”

“Me either. But… what if we’re not doing the right thing?”

Tilana tapped a nail against the rock and glanced up at the brilliant moon above. “Does it matter?”

Cassia darted a quick glance at Tilana. Of course it mattered. But she also knew what her sister was getting at. Even though she had a mote of her own, Tilana didn’t put much stock in consulting Mithrinde when it came to making decisions. She figured that it didn’t matter to Mithrinde how you chose to live out her ideals, only that you honored the power she gave you. Which Cassia knew was true — it was what Micah always said when Cassia asked him to ask Mithrinde something.

But how could anyone not want to know, for sure, if they were doing the right thing?

“This is too big for that, Ty.” She had come here hoping to feel… something. And surrounded by the peace of the lake, she did feel better. But was that a sign?

Tilana was already nodding. “I thought you’d say that. So I brought something for you.”

Cassia tilted her head to one side, confused. Her sister wasn’t carrying anything.

Then Tilana reached over her shoulders, grasped her wings in both hands, and pulled.

They came loose like gauze, glowing brighter and brighter as they shrunk into a brilliant point of light Tilana cupped in her hands.

Cassia looked up at her sister’s starkly lit face and knew what she was suggesting. “No. No way. Borrowing it to fly around Mithrinden is one thing, but you don’t know how long I’ll be gone—”

“—And that doesn’t matter, because you need it more than I do,” Tilana interrupted. “You’re going to be working with a drake, and you’ll probably have to fight humans, and if you go into the other Orders’ lands you’ll have to disguise yourself. You need all the tricks you can get. Plus, you’ll get to ask Mithrinde for all the guidance you want. She might even answer.”

That silenced Cassia. Her eyes lingered on the light in Tilana’s palms. Wasn’t that what she wanted more than anything in the world? Even if it was just for a little while?

Tilana wasn’t backing down, and Cassia knew better than to try to talk her out of it. “If you’re sure,” was all she could bring herself to say.

Tilana didn’t bother responding. She leaned in, her curly raven hair falling across her shoulders, and pressed her mote of Mithrinde to Cassia’s chest.

Cassia gasped as the euphoric, tingling coolness swept through her from head to toe, stilling her mind and soothing the dread in her stomach. The power drew in and coalesced at the back of her ribcage right where Tilana’s wings took root and bloomed on her back. Sensation flooded in and she threw back her head and laughed, spreading her wings and fighting the urge to take flight right then and there.

Tilana was smiling her quiet smile that meant she was pleased with a negotiation. “Try some magic,” she urged. “You won’t have much time to practice, so you’d better start.”

Hesitant, Cassia lifted her hand and found that with only a nudge of the mind, moonlight collected in her palm, clinging to the magic in her fingertips. She focused on the moonlight, and it took the shape of her father in her palm, smiling and healthy and strong. She gathered more moonlight and poured it into her hand, and in a second it had taken the shape of a tall, smiling woman with long, curly black tresses.

“It’s so easy,” Cassia marveled. She’d tried a few illusions before, when borrowing Tilana’s mote, but she always forgot how different this magic felt compared to the painstaking process of setting up a human ritual.

The two illusions stood there silent in her palm, arms around each other’s waists, looking up at Cassia and smiling. Tilana and Cassia watched the image of their parents for a long moment, each in her private thoughts.

Then Cassia waved a hand and the illusion vanished. She blinked back the prickling in her eyes.

Now that Mithrinde’s power had settled in her chest, Cassia listened for a feeling in her mote. Go forward and lie to her father — defy her Archpriest — or stay home and let him die?

She felt calm. She didn’t know if that counted as a feeling in her mote, but Cassia decided it did. She wasn’t going to lose her father like she’d lost her mother. Doing this… felt right.

“You can still say no,” Tilana told her. The barest trace of a frown betrayed her worry. “It’s going to be really dangerous. We can send a Service agent instead.”

Cassia shook her head. “I’m the Grand Mage. What else was the point of me learning all that human magic? This is what I was born for.”

And said like that, a part of Cassia really believed it.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi Mea,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

There, where the canopy cleared, lay a pool as round as a mirror and as still as glass, with water as clear as the sky.


Here's another sentence that seems a bit too stuffed with descriptions. I love the way you try to portray everything with your charm, and it's also very easy to imagine everything if you close your eyes, but every now and then, sentences like this come out that just call out to be split a little. Because you quickly lose sight of something that is described in the first half when so much information comes in the second part.

"Yeah, duh," Cassia said, more curtly than she meant to. "But you saw how well talking him out of it went."


Cassia, to me, is a person who is admittedly a little narrow-minded and stubborn (a little like her father, I suppose) and a little at odds with her father. She's expressive in many ways and stands her ground as far as she can, but the "duh" feels a little out of place to me :D At least in the context of your fantasy world, I feel it's a little odd.

And Cassia needed to feel Mithrinde's power tonight. In less than twelve hours, she, Cassia would be leaving Mithrinden alone, with a drake, to search for the most important magical artifact in all of Icalla. Against her father's wishes. The Archpriest's wishes.


Very great paragraph, briefly summing up what happened and how Cassia feels too. I like that you used italics for drake and Archpriest to emphasise the seriousness of the situation.

She didn't feel safe, or good, about anything that was happening.


I'm not an expert on commas yet, but I think it would be better to remove them here, because with the "or" you've already inserted a kind of pause and interjection, which by means of the comma leads once again to a longer pause.

And said like that, a part of Cassia really believed it.


The chapter really ends with something like that? :D After this character development of Cassia, I think it's excellent how you try to make it believable how she has "changed" and how she sees the future. I think for Cassia, you put a lot of effort into making her believable and would even crown her as the best character in your story. (The others are also on a high level, but she really stands out from all of them).

What I like about your story is the diversity between Drakes and the angel people here. I didn't think such a combination was possible. You manage to incorporate a uniqueness that yet feels so normal. Combined with the very interesting and distinct personalities, I can say you've managed to build a fantastic foundation for the plot! I am more than excited to see how the meeting between Drakes and Angels will be.

Have fun with the writing!

Mailice.




User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:04 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hi Mea!

To start off, I loved seeing the relationship between Cassia and Tilana here. This felt like a solid section of the chapter because it did a lot of introductory things (set up the premise of the plot, build a connection with our main character, and establish character relationships) without feeling like an introduction? Everything flowed naturally, especially the interactions between the two sisters. I like that we can see how close they are because of the actions they take and experiences they have shared.

The door to the Council chamber had hardly closed behind Cassia, Tilana, and Raphel after the meeting before Cassia exploded.


I wanted to ask why you skipped over the reactions of the council in the chamber? There were a couple of things that felt off to me about this. First of all, since this is one continuous chapter, I think that if I were reading it all at once, it would be abrupt to jump from "in the council meeting" to "after of the council meeting" in the span of a paragraph. (This also occurs later with another sudden time shift that caught me off guard, which niteowl also mentioned when Cassia is suddenly back at the pool but hours later.)

Second of all, I would be interested in seeing the reactions of the council. Do any other people of them protest? Is there a tense silence out of respect for their Archpriest? Is there any discussion at all or is everyone just ushered out quickly? This could be a good place to establish some comparisons or contrasts between how we saw the drake's handling the choosing of their candidate and then how the angles handle it. As well, later on in the chapter, you go back and talk about what occurred in the meeting, so it may be better suited to just show it to us first instead of backtracking later.

Before Cassia knew it, Haliel had steered her all the way out of the castle, past the hedge maze, and along a narrow pathway that snaked down the mountain and opened into a sheltered grove.


This may be a small nitpick, but I remember as I read this transition that it seemed like a long way for them to walk without any explanation of where they are going or any other details about what she wanted to talk about. Perhaps including how much time passed (because the phrase "snaked down the mountain" made me think it was well out of their way). //something that just stood out to me

There, where the canopy cleared, lay a pool as round as a mirror and asstill asglass, with water asclear asthe sky.


One more small nitpick! The phrase as [blank] as is used a lot in this description and it's a little repetitive.

It wasn’t her fault she’d been born first, or that for some reason the Pool only had one mote to give to twins.


Is this meant to say that all angels who are twins only receive one mote for the two of them, or is this specific to these twins, Cassia and Tilana? I'm also curious if this will ever be explored more, because it seems like a really specific (but interesting!) detail about the Giving Pool.

In fact, she could only remember him ever telling her about a single one. It had been about her.


<.< >.> I guess we'll probably just have to wait to figure out what this one is. Though, I'm curious how direct these visions are? And if they're so rare, I wonder why he would receive a vision about his daughter who also happens to not have a mote of her own? (I GUESS WE'LL JUST HAVE TO FIND OUT.)

In the section where Haliel is talking about her plan to send Cassia instead of her father (but had not yet specified who she would be sending), I would like liked something more directed at Cassia. What I mean is that all of your dialogue talks about her plan with the words "you" but it's vague who of the three she could be talking to. Maybe another gentle hint like "she looked at Cassia" or "she gestured towards Cassia"? Just a suggestion though :)

The night air breathed still and cold in the grove surrounding the Giving Pool.


I just wanted to point this section out again, since I mentioned it before. It was an abrupt jump from the three of them talking to being later in the night, which would be better suited (as niteowl said) with an asterisk or something.

Like I said in the beginning of this review, I really liked the scene with just Cassia and Tilana together, especially in the beginning when we're deep in Cassia's thought and feelings and worries. It gives her a lot of depth and relatability because yeah, I would love to know sometimes if what I was doing was right or wrong. She's struggling with this while surrounded with others who might not have to worry about that, and it makes me want to root for her all the more.

Sensation flooded in and she threw back her head and laughed, spreading her wings and fighting the urge to take flight right then and there.


This paragraph <3 Lovely imagery.

“You can still say no..."


When I first read this, I was a little confused what Tilana was referring to. I immediately thought she was saying "you can still say no to taking my mote" because that was the most recent thing that happened, so maybe a little more clarification on this could help.

Knowing that Fyn and Cassia are going to meet next chapter makes me super excited. Between the first two chapters, I think you've done a great job setting the scene, introducing the characters, and establishing the stakes. There's great reason to care about all of these characters and now I'm ready to get into the juicy plot :3

~Wolfe




User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:22 am
View Likes
niteowl wrote a review...



Hello again! Nite here to finish Chapter 2!

Normally, Micah listened carefully to every one of his Ministers, even if he disagreed. But this time when Raphel, Irin, and Cassia had all raised objections, her father had slapped his palm on the ebony table and said, “Enough. I hear the concerns of my Council. But this decision is final.”


This paragraph seems like it might fit at the beginning of this section, since it seems to follow directly from the declaration.

“Yeah, duh,” Cassia said, more curtly than she meant to. “But you saw how well talking him out of it went.”


The word "duh" here seems too slangy/informal/modern to me. Maybe replace with something like "Of course not!"

“Okay,” Cassia said slowly. “So we send someone else. Who?”

Three pairs of eyes turned as one to fix on Cassia.

“I thought that would be obvious,” Haliel said. “You are our Grand Mage, after all.”


I'm less certain this is obvious. While she's certainly a more logical choice than Fyn, I feel like this whole having-a-mote thing is important, so they wouldn't want to send someone so "handicapped" on this mission. But clearly they find her important and competent enough to be on the Council, so maybe it is more obvious than I assume.

The night air breathed still and cold in the grove surrounding the Giving Pool. The trees linked a tight-knit canopy, like sentinels folding their arms in warning. The thick scent of pine hung heavy over the silent clearing, sheltering it from Mithrinden’s perpetual winds.


Love this description. It's powerful and interesting without feeling like too much.

Cassia shivered in her thin dressing gown as she emerged into the clearing around the pool. She was supposed to be turning in early so she could be up before dawn to meet the drakes at the border of Mithrinden, but she couldn’t sleep.


Okay I feel like there was a time skip I missed, since I was really confused why Cassia had gone to the meeting in her dressing gown. In an actual published book there would probably be an asterisk or something separating the parts, so maybe that would fit here.

A half-moon wasn’t an omen, and yet Cassia couldn’t help but feel that everything from this point forth was balanced on the point of a knife, ready to tip one way or the other.


For some reason I misread "omen" as "onion" and I was like uh okay then. But seriously, this is a really cool sentence.

Cassia sat on one of wide, flat rocks rimming the pond, careful not to touch the water, as that was only done at a Receiving Ceremony. Because it was only a half moon, no eight-year-olds would be coming for their Receiving Ceremony tonight. It was just her.


1) You're missing a "the" in the first sentence
2) Now I'm confused about Cassia's age. Earlier in the chapter, you say their (or rather Tilana's) Receiving ceremony was five years ago, which would put them at thirteen, which feels really young. But skimming the first chapter, you said she's sixteen, which would make more sense. Or maybe the Receiving is a different ceremony? Also, as an aside, does this mean Micah became a father at like a hundred? I suppose that could be normal in Mithrenden, but I would then think they'd consider 16 way too young to be a Grand Mage.

That silenced Cassia. Her eyes lingered on the light in Tilana’s palms. Wasn’t that what she wanted more than anything in the world? Even if it was just for a little while?


I'm a little confused about whether or not Cassia's used the mote before. It sounds like she has borrowed it before, but then this sentence makes it sound like this is a first time deal. I'm also sort of confused as to why they couldn't just have some shared custody of the mote if transferring it is that easy.

Love the last two paragraphs. Great way to end the chapter.

Overall, I like this chapter. The idea of Cassia being mote-less and yet destined for greatness (hopefully maybe) reminds me a bit of Lirael in Garth Nix's Abhorsen series, how she doesn't have the Sight that should be her birthright as a Clayr. Again, I also really like your descriptions of the magic.

So far, I'm really enjoying this story and it flows well. Sorry I was a bit late in reviewing this, but I'll take a crack at Chapter 3 in the next few days. :)




Mea says...


Thank you for the great comments! Re: Cassia's age - 5 years ago is definitely a typo (should be 8), and they're definitely 16. As for Micah being over 100 and being their father... yeah, angels are meant to be a bit longer-lived than humans, but you're right this is stretching it, and I'm planning on changing Micah to being their grandfather in the next draft haha. The reason it's "obvious" that Cassia should go is that pretty much only her and Micah are experts on human magic, and they'll be chasing a human. I should probably emphasize more how foreign human magic is to most angels.



Mea says...


*should be 8 (forgot about the 8 ) emoji lol)




We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor