Mixing Magic [Draft 3]: Prologue

by Mea

Looking back, it had all started when her father had been diagnosed, almost a year ago now, she thought, though in the wake of all the days since she couldn’t remember the very first day he had come home from the hospital looking grim. Or maybe it hadn’t started then. Maybe it had started when she found the loose picket in the tall, solid wooden fence that enclosed her tiny backyard, a single plank of wood that swung up on a single nail, creating a gap through which she had escaped to the dense Ohio woods beyond. Her woods.

Or maybe it was both beginnings. If either one had never happened, she, Madeline, would have never been perched in a crook of her favorite old ash tree by the creek, crying silently that spring morning. She would never have heard that twig snap, or the rustle of the honeysuckle bushes.

But she did hear it. And the moment she heard it, she bolted upright, swallowing her sobs in an instant and brushing the tears out of her eyes. Whatever was moving, it was big. Bears could climb trees, and if it was a bear she would have to —

The dark figure pushed through the bushes into full view, picking its way along the bank. It was a woman, not a bear, but Madeline still didn’t move. These were her woods. Nobody else came here, especially not this far away from any of the trails. So what was this woman doing here?

Whoever she was, she was tall and lithe, with stiff, straight black hair that just brushed her shoulders. Wearing a beautiful red dress made from a fabric unlike anything Madeline had ever seen, she looked completely out of place in the tranquil forest. But she moved with an unearthly confidence that made Madeline shrink back among the leaves of the ash tree.

Please don’t see me, she begged of the woman on the ground.

And although the woman paused for a moment, casting a sweeping glance across the creek, she didn’t look up before moving on.

Madeline watched her go, unable to tear her eyes away. Something was stirring inside her. Some awareness. It stretched out and seemed to find a link to something Madeline had never known was missing, a sixth sense completely different from what she sometimes thought of as her woods-instinct. It swelled in her, a dim but heady sense of… something. What?

It didn’t make any sense. But the woman was going, and whatever it was, it was going too, rushing away and leaving her emptier than before. Madeline bit her lip, breath drawn in thought.

Then she crept along the branch of the old ash tree and swung down to the soft ground.

She followed the woman for nearly half an hour along the bed of the stream, concealing herself behind bushes and moving silently. It wasn’t until they were nearly there that Madeline realized the woman was heading for Pirate’s Cove, a clearing where the stream spilled into a tiny pond and swirled around before being swept away again. Madeline called it Pirate’s Cove because of that pond, and because of the large rock formation that, if you looked at it from just the right angle, looked just like the wreckage of a pirate ship smashed up against the shore, with a scraggly tree growing where the mast would be.

There was no cover in the clearing, so Madeline pressed herself against a thick oak tree at the edge, peering out between the leaves of a young shrub.

At the sight of the pool and the rock formation, the woman smiled, sharp and satisfied. A shiver ran down Madeline’s spine. What does she want with my Cove? She gripped the trunk of the oak more tightly.

The woman stopped at the base of the rocks and stood very still, eyes closed in concentration. Once again, Madeline felt a rush of power, almost a presence gathering here, centered on the tall, striking figure, faint but building to a crescendo.

The woman’s hands snapped up, darting this way and that, moving faster than Madeline could follow as if in a strange ritual dance. Within seconds, she made a final slashing movement, then pushed down into the earth with both hands. A low humming rumbled in Madeline’s chest.

One moment, nothing was there — just the rocks and the moss and the strange woman standing in front of them — and the next it was as if a sliver of the void had opened beside the rocks, a jagged oval so black, it looked like an error in reality itself, gaping wide.

Despite herself, Madeline gasped.

The woman was smiling again. And then she turned her head and looked right where Madeline was hiding.

“I know you’re there, child,” the woman said. Her voice was low and percussively musical.

Madeline didn’t move. A hundred questions exploded in her mind, but also the knowledge that she was alone in the woods with a strange woman, with no one to hear her if she cried for help.

“I’m not going to hurt you. I’ve known you were following me since the start. You’re curious. Come and see.” And she raised a hand and beckoned with welcoming eyes.

Madeline swallowed, fixed on the black void, the possibilities itching at her. She took a careful step around the tree and approached the woman. “Who are you?”

“My name is Nadra.”

“Are you human?”

She laughed at that. “Yes.”

Madeline hesitated, not sure whether to believe her. “What is that?” she asked, pointing at the void.

“A portal to another world.”

“How did you make it?” Madeline asked, although in her gut, she already knew.

“Magic.”

Magic. The word thrilled through Madeline. It put a name to what she felt, the tingling power radiating from the... portal.

"How?" And, unspoken, Can you teach me?

Sorrow and something like anger flashed across Nadra's face, so quickly Madeline couldn't tell if she had imagined it.

"Practice," she said shortly. "Go ahead, take a closer look, but I'm running out of time before it closes. Don't touch it."

With a backwards glance at the woman, Madeline took a step forward and around the portal, looking at it from every direction. It was so black she couldn't tell how thick it was, or if it was a flat plane. She closed her eyes, trying to sense the magic. There was a structure there, a pattern...

She took another step forward. Her foot came down on a loose rock and turned. A sharp pain shot up her ankle and she staggered, crying out, almost catching herself. For a split second, she hung on the verge. Her eyes flew open just in time to see her outstretched hand touch the portal. Then darkness rushed up and swallowed her.

----------------------------

A/N - Hi guys! So this is the start of Draft 3 of Mixing Magic. I originally wrote this prologue for fun and don't know if I'll include it in the story proper, so telling me your thoughts on it as a story starter, what it makes you expect and all of that, will be really helpful. I don't think I'll post the whole draft here, but I'd love some feedback on the first few chapters, and if you want to read the whole thing just let me know and I'll send it to you when it's done. :)

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hey Mea!

Mixing Magic <3 I'm sorry I didn't review till the end of the of 2nd draft. So like I said in my reply to your wall post, feel free to send the whole thing to me when it's done. I think I'll be better in finishing it in that case. Anyway. On with the review.

I liked the opening a lot, about how it had started. It gave me some sense of intrigue about what's about to happen to Madeline. It also showed me a bit of Madeline's situation--her dad is sick, and right now what she wants is some alone time in the nature. (Yes. I think nature can give you some peace.) I also think that the opening didn't give *too much* information; you handed enough for the reader to get invested but moved on soon enough.

As for whether to include this or not, try checking out To prologue or not to prologue. I always link it whenever I review for a prologue because I think this is helpful to decide whether this prologue or needed or not. In my opinion, the prologue works in the way that it adds tension of knowing that there's a dangerous woman with powerful magic searching for Madeline (and that click when Ayda stumbles on a human girl). So anyway, if I read this without knowing much of MM, I might think that this is more apt to be a chapter one?? Because this gives me the impression that Madeline is the main character here, because obviously Nadra is going to hunt for her and CONFLICT CONFLICT. And especially because Madeline comes from Earth. It also gives me the impression that Nadra is going to use Madeline for her own ends. And there's something beyond the "I have a plan to send you home" bit.

I also liked the way you built up Nadra's odd behavior till Madeline realized that this woman was kidnapping her. Like the way that she tempted Madeline to examine the portal, not bring her back in...I also think that Madeline is pretty level-headed. Those thoughts might not have come to me if I were in her situation; I'd be too anxious and panicked. :p

One final note: I feel a bit as though Madeline could flee a bit too easily. Except in the case that Nadra thinks that Madeline is too naive to think of running off herself? Does Nadra trust Madeline enough to just sleep and allow the opportunity for Madeline to escape? Is it possible she might put up some enchantments to stop Madeline from getting away and lie that it's for protection against "dangerous creatures roaming at night"?

And I think that's all I've got to say. Hope this helps you think about how to improve your story! :D

-Ink

Mea says...

Yay, I'm glad you like the opening too!

Re: the prologue making Madeline feel too much like the main character - yeah, it's what make me hesitant about including it. If I were to end the prologue with her falling through the portal, would that feel more like a prologue? It would mean losing the part where she realizes that Nadra pushed her, but that would just be told when Ayda meets her later. And then it would add a bit of mystery - last time we saw Madeline, she was with Nadra, so what happened? Maybe that would make the break to Ayda's viewpoint feel more natural.

(Also, in my head, Nadra did set up magical barriers to stop Madeline from leaving, but she made a mistake and forgot that Madeline is mostly magicless at the minute, and so the barriers didn't work on her. But there's no way for Madeline to know that, so.)

PrincessInk says...

Oh, perhaps that might just work! I think that the prologue ending in blackness might render some mystery as well. And also maybe we don't get too close to Madeline, so much that we start to think that she's the MC.

Ah, your explanation does make sense. Thanks for it :D

Oooooh, I adore the opening paragraph.

It just has sort of a classic MG feel to it, something I'd read alongside Katherine Patterson and Sharon Creech. Like on the one hand I sort of wanted to tell you that the narration style felt a bit grown up for MG, but I think it's just that it feels more like MG from the 70s than current MG. Although to be fair I also don't read a lot of contemporary MG, so for all I know they're all still writing that way.

(Also it turns out Walk Two Moons wasn't published until '94, so...apparently I don't know my MG eras anyway. But Bridge to Terabithia was published in the '70s, so I sort of know.)

Anyway, it has a more grown-up style to me but my point is that might not be a bad thing. I guess the real litmus test for that would be to have a kid who falls into the MG protagonist age group and who reads fluently to read it and tell you if they like it or if it's too hard/feels too much like a grown-up book. I also have to remind myself (as a child who read books far above my grade-level and an adult who teaches children who don't read fluently at all) that not all MG books have to be easier reads for readers who aren't confident in the reading/struggle with reading.

So possibly ignore all that.

“Madeline, are you all right? Madeline?”

A nitpick here, but Madeline definitely has not told Nadra her name at this point. Which, I realize Nadra is magic and all, and considering that she pretty much pushed Madeline through the portal, she probably knew Madeline's name ahead of time. So perhaps it was deliberate, to make us suspicious? But given that you've got Madeline literally thinking about how suspicious she is, we don't need it for that, and it just reads awkwardly.

Prologues

So I think this is a pretty good use of a prologue which is seriously high praise coming from me, because we all know I hate prologues in general It's not used as an infodump or to fill us in on a bunch of backstory. It just gives us the viewpoint of our other character, so that's kind of neat, and it takes place right before/maybe even at the same time as the rest of the story.

It does feel more like a first chapter than a prologue, so my only concern is that the book blurb is going to say that Ayda's the MC and then people are going to read this and feel for Madeline and then chapter one is going to be with Ayda and people are going to go, "??? Where's my human girl???"

Which I guess is really the risk of any prologue like this. So I guess you'll just have to see what new readers think when they read this and then chapter one.

tl;dr "here's what I think but tbh you should probably just have a bunch of middle schoolers read it" that's it that's the review

Mea says...

Aaaah thank you! I'm glad you love the opening paragraph because it was one of the risky things I did but I love it because of what you said - that it feels just like classic MG.

I've given it to my 12-year-old sister to read (well, a previous draft) and she didn't find it too hard, but she does read above her grade level. I should find some normal 12-year-olds.

Re: the prologue feeling like a first chapter - I know, that's the thing that gets me about including it. If I were to end the prologue with her falling through the portal, would that feel more like a prologue? It would mean loosing the part where she realizes that Nadra pushed her, but that would just be told when Ayda meets her later. And then it would add a bit of mystery - last time we saw Madeline, she was with Nadra, so what happened?

BluesClues says...

Hmmm, yes, I think that would probably make it feel a bit more prologuey - maybe the issue is that the time skip (from her sort of passing out) makes it feel longer than a prologue should, since a prologue usually covers a single scene. Plus then there's more mystery, like we don't necessarily realize Nadra is bad right away (although we might suspect).

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
— William Shakespeare